08-28-2013 07:16 PM
74 123
tools
    I agree with much that's been said here. On AndroidCentral.com, this device is a *hyooj* flop. At your local AT&T store, it's a miracle phone in the eyes of your average consumer.

Joe Schmoe:
    "You mean, I can just...talk to my phone? Say whaaaaaaaaaaat?"
    "You mean, I can make it any color I want? Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?"
    "YOU MEAN IT KNOWS WHEN I TAKE IT OUT OF MY POCKET AND WANT TO TAKE A PICTURE? GET OUTTA TOWN."

Tech Geek:
    "This spec sheet is atrocious. I'm not paying $200 for anything less than 1080p and octacore processing!"

People forget that value is, quite literally, the perceived benefits of a product divided by its cost. If you believe you'll receive the most benefit from higher spec sheet numbers, then perhaps this phone represents poor value. If you believe things like a fairly stock Android experience, intuitive UI features, attractive design, active voice control, SmartActions, and so on come at a premium, then $200 is a steal.

Moral of the story: it's all subjective, and lucky for everyone there are lots of great options available right now for Android -- which is more than can be said for its competitors!
    08-03-2013 06:03 PM
    Green Bay Packers has a 105,000 person wait list with an average wait time of 1167 years.
    Go Bears. Trololol.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL
    08-03-2013 06:54 PM
    I just got home from day two of Lollapalooza. While I was up front for The Postal Service, I was fiddling with my Galaxy Nexus. The girl next to me--looked to be early twenties--tapped me on the shoulder and asked, "Is that the new Moto X?" I laughed and said, "No, but I will be getting the Moto X! This is a Galaxy Nexus." (It was an understandable mistake on her part, since the phones are shaped similarly and my homescreen setup is pretty standard.)

The reactions I've been hearing from the general public over the past two days have been pretty cool. I can't wait to see what $500 million might do for this phone. I'd love for Motorola to have a hit. More great options are better for all of us.
    08-03-2013 10:56 PM
    The girl next to me--looked to be early twenties--tapped me on the shoulder and asked, "Is that the new Moto X?"
    Was she cute? Hope you got her number!
    08-03-2013 11:24 PM
    I just got home from day two of Lollapalooza. While I was up front for The Postal Service, I was fiddling with my Galaxy Nexus. The girl next to me--looked to be early twenties--tapped me on the shoulder and asked, "Is that the new Moto X?" I laughed and said, "No, but I will be getting the Moto X! This is a Galaxy Nexus." (It was an understandable mistake on her part, since the phones are shaped similarly and my homescreen setup is pretty standard.)

The reactions I've been hearing from the general public over the past two days have been pretty cool. I can't wait to see what $500 million might do for this phone. I'd love for Motorola to have a hit. More great options are better for all of us.
    I've always been a Moto guy and I hope they have a hit too. And from reading more and more reviews from people who have had the phone for a few days I'm quite a bit less upset about what the phone is capable of then when it was first announced. But I still think that strongly marketing a feature that isn't available to most people will backfire. I think they should have marketed all of the features that you can get on any carrier and let AT&T handle marketing the fact that it is customizable for them.
    dpham00 likes this.
    08-03-2013 11:24 PM
    But I still think that strongly marketing a feature that isn't available to most people will backfire.
    If you're referring to the shell customization, isn't it coming eventually to all carriers? It's just that it's coming to AT&T first. I read that Verizon will offer it later in the year.

At least they didn't pull a Blackberry and announce the phone 3 months before it became available to anyone.
    08-03-2013 11:26 PM
    Was she cute? Hope you got her number!
    She was actually about 12-15 years younger than me, so...just no.
    08-03-2013 11:37 PM
    She was actually about 12-15 years younger than me, so...just no.
    Larry King would've gone for it.
    08-03-2013 11:38 PM
    If you're referring to the shell customization, isn't it coming eventually to all carriers? It's just that it's coming to AT&T first. I read that Verizon will offer it later in the year.

At least they didn't pull a Blackberry and announce the phone 3 months before it became available to anyone.
    The problem is that nobody knows when its coming to Verizon. And given Verizon's history it could very well be mid-late December and by that time there will be several newer phones available and the older phones like the GS4 will probably be close to free on contract. Will people really wait an undetermined amount of time and then still pick it over newer options? And its also possible by then that other phones will offer some level of customization if it looks like the X is doing well on AT&T.
    08-03-2013 11:39 PM
    And its also possible by then that other phones will offer some level of customization if it looks like the X is doing well on AT&T.
    I'm actually wondering if Apple might do customization with the rumored colored iPhone 5C.
    08-03-2013 11:41 PM
    I'm actually wondering if Apple might do customization with the rumored colored iPhone 5C.
    Not customization the way that you can get with the Moto X, I would think. The rumored iPhone 5C may be available in 4-5 colors and each color would be stocked at the point of purchase. You won't be able to mix and match cover colors with front colors with accent colors with personal phrasing like you will with the X. Has anyone figured out all the possible color combinations available with the X? Must be in the thousands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    08-04-2013 07:59 AM
    That's very true. I am past my upgrade date, but I'm waiting to see if these are the droids I'm looking for. If not, I'll move on to a One probably, but I'll be waiting for that too. I stopped at the Samsung experience at Best Buy, and was not impressed. I want to upgrade now, but I want to make the right decision. I hate waiting on things, but I hate regretting my purchases even more. People that care are willing to wait. Those that don't care will get whatever is available.
    Life's too short to have regrets. There will always be a rumored phone just around the corner. Buy the HTC One and don't look back. Do you really want to buy a 720, 16 GB storage, dual core S4 device with a locked boot loader who's only hype is software based ? Buy the HTC One, unlock it in five minutes, and install Android Revolution HD, enjoy it, and go on with life. Besides, I had installed the free Auto Screen On app, the screen would turn on when I unholstered the phone. Now that I am running 4.2.2, I have the volume button mapped to turn it on.
    08-04-2013 08:31 AM
    Not customization the way that you can get with the Moto X, I would think. The rumored iPhone 5C may be available in 4-5 colors and each color would be stocked at the point of purchase. You won't be able to mix and match cover colors with front colors with accent colors with personal phrasing like you will with the X. Has anyone figured out all the possible color combinations available with the X? Must be in the thousands.
    Right. I'm thinking the iPhone 5C would just allow engraving.

I've read that the X is available in 504 or 2000-some different combinations. I'm not sure which figure is correct.
    08-04-2013 10:14 AM
    Life's too short to have regrets. There will always be a rumored phone just around the corner. Buy the HTC One and don't look back. Do you really want to buy a 720, 16 GB storage, dual core S4 device with a locked boot loader who's only hype is software based ? Buy the HTC One, unlock it in five minutes, and install Android Revolution HD, enjoy it, and go on with life. Besides, I had installed the free Auto Screen On app, the screen would turn on when I unholstered the phone. Now that I am running 4.2.2, I have the volume button mapped to turn it on.
    I'm not looking at the X anymore. I want separate buttons, more storage, and the bigger battery of the Maxx. As for the display, I'll compare the One and Maxx when they are available. It may not matter. Just because I can tell the difference doesn't mean it matters. I have a full frame Nikon D600. I can put a great lens on it, take RAW pictures and post process them with Lightroom or Photoshop. That doesn't mean I'll never use the camera on my phone. I've even used the camera on my phone when I had my Nikon around my neck. Personally, I'd rather have the larger battery of the Maxx than the better display of the One. Maybe I'll change my mind, but like the processors, it's just a spec on paper. I want to see it first.
    08-04-2013 10:22 AM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Once the wood is available it will be over 2000 possible combinations including different color accents on the camera ring and volume buttons
    08-04-2013 10:33 AM
    I believe the "over 2000 combinations" estimate also includes the available boot screen customization as well.
    08-04-2013 10:36 AM
    Right. I'm thinking the iPhone 5C would just allow engraving.

I've read that the X is available in 504 or 2000-some different combinations. I'm not sure which figure is correct.
    Motorola is going with the thousands number. I keep seeing 7 choices for accent colors, 18 back plate colors and 2 front colors... that's 252. Choosing between 16GB and 32GB brings us to 504. Then I *think* the 2000+ is coming from either choices in materials or from choices in splash screen.
    08-04-2013 10:39 AM
    Those kind of numbers are pretty cool, but I think of increased pressure on production, assembly, and supply. I can't think of any consumer product that has 2000 plus options unless it is a car and you customize every color, fabric, and trim on top of all the other standard options.
    08-04-2013 11:24 AM
    I just got home from day two of Lollapalooza. While I was up front for The Postal Service, I was fiddling with my Galaxy Nexus.
    Hope your wait in line (?) was a short one and the "girl next 2 U" made your wait in line even more enjoyable. We try harder now that most of the X phones people order will be delivered by us.
    08-04-2013 03:19 PM
    And there are 36,864 ways to make a Whataburger. In the end it's still a hamburger. I'm not knocking the customization at all. I think it's great. I want ketchup and mayo on my Whataburger with all the standard veggies and cheese. I don't want mustard. I'm grateful that I can ask for that. I am saying it doesn't matter what the final number of ways are to customize it. What matters is there are plenty of ways, and the number is just a number. Considering the custom engraving, you can multiply your number of combinations by the number of character spaces times the number of characters available. Yay! It's a freakishly huge number now. What really matters is how many backs are available. How many trim colors are available, etc. Some people may only care about the back color. In that case the total number of customizations doesn't mean anything, only how many backs are available.
    08-04-2013 08:58 PM
    Hope your wait in line (?) was a short one and the "girl next 2 U" made your wait in line even more enjoyable. We try harder now that most of the X phones people order will be delivered by us.
    She and the rest of the crowd for The Postal Service were pretty great. The crowd for The Cure tonight, though, was phenomenal, as was the band.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    08-04-2013 11:53 PM
    You scoff at software based features when, realistically, that's what devices are judged by.

I could spin it the exact opposite way: Do you really want another boring phone jam packed with hardware specifications you don't understand, or do you want a phone that changes the way you use your phone throughout the day?

Benchmarks are just benchmarks and are altogether worthless. What matters is how the device performs in real life situations. Being that the Moto X doesn't run some bogged down version of Android (Hi there, TouchWiz) I expect terrific performance on par with the fluidity I experience with my Nexus 4.

So if the human eye can't discern pixels between 720p and 1080p resolutions, and if that software performs properly, what else is there to knock on the Moto X? I've just eradicated the two largest complaints.

It's the only device on the market that you can customize the appearance of, and the only device that is operable entirely by ones voice. Why buy any other flagship device for $200 when they all do the same thing, when you could buy the Moto X for $200 and buy into a software experience unavailable elsewhere?

Just my thoughts. Will I buy it? Likely not. I'm quite content with my Nexus 4. But man, I cannot wait to see what Google and Motorola continue to cook up.
    08-05-2013 12:21 AM
    Won't the 720 screen have some benefits over over 1080 anyways, like using less bandwidth or improved battery life? If so then I'd consider the screen a plus.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-05-2013 05:21 PM
    Won't the 720 screen have some benefits over over 1080 anyways, like using less bandwidth or improved battery life? If so then I'd consider the screen a plus.

Posted via Android Central App
    Battery life yes, bandwidth is yet to be seen. If you mean Netflix, remember they don't stream in 1080p unless you have Android 4.3.
    jdbii likes this.
    08-05-2013 06:42 PM
    I've always been a Moto guy and I hope they have a hit too. And from reading more and more reviews from people who have had the phone for a few days I'm quite a bit less upset about what the phone is capable of then when it was first announced. But I still think that strongly marketing a feature that isn't available to most people will backfire. I think they should have marketed all of the features that you can get on any carrier and let AT&T handle marketing the fact that it is customizable for them.
    Go take a look at the commercials. Although the ones we've seen so far have the designed by you tag in them, none deal specifically with the customization. They are not marketing that heavily.
    08-06-2013 02:08 AM
74 123