08-28-2013 07:16 PM
74 123
tools
    I agree with much that's been said here. On AndroidCentral.com, this device is a *hyooj* flop. At your local AT&T store, it's a miracle phone in the eyes of your average consumer.

Joe Schmoe:
    "You mean, I can just...talk to my phone? Say whaaaaaaaaaaat?"
    "You mean, I can make it any color I want? Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?"
    "YOU MEAN IT KNOWS WHEN I TAKE IT OUT OF MY POCKET AND WANT TO TAKE A PICTURE? GET OUTTA TOWN."

Tech Geek:
    "This spec sheet is atrocious. I'm not paying $200 for anything less than 1080p and octacore processing!"

People forget that value is, quite literally, the perceived benefits of a product divided by its cost. If you believe you'll receive the most benefit from higher spec sheet numbers, then perhaps this phone represents poor value. If you believe things like a fairly stock Android experience, intuitive UI features, attractive design, active voice control, SmartActions, and so on come at a premium, then $200 is a steal.

Moral of the story: it's all subjective, and lucky for everyone there are lots of great options available right now for Android -- which is more than can be said for its competitors!
    Yeah, i just told some guy about it and his words were "what?" just like you said, "really?" and then "sounds to good to be true". lol. He has an iPhone 4S and doesn't necessarily love apple stuff.
    08-06-2013 10:09 AM
    Go take a look at the commercials. Although the ones we've seen so far have the designed by you tag in them, none deal specifically with the customization. They are not marketing that heavily.
    I've only seen two commercials. They each go through a specific feature and then spend the last few seconds cycling through different colors with the "designed by you" tag up on the screen. That's pretty heavy marketing. They draw you in with a feature but then want the final, lasting impression that seals the deal to be "designed by you"

Posted via Android Central App
    philly likes this.
    08-06-2013 12:01 PM
    I've only seen two commercials. They each go through a specific feature and then spend the last few seconds cycling through different colors with the "designed by you" tag up on the screen. That's pretty heavy marketing. They draw you in with a feature but then want the final, lasting impression that seals the deal to be "designed by you"

Sorry, no. Those commercials are advertising those specific features. The last bit directs them to the website and is not the focus of those commercials.
    08-06-2013 01:35 PM
    Sorry, no. Those commercials are advertising those specific features. The last bit directs them to the website and is not the focus of those commercials.
    Ok, gotcha. I'm a little thick sometimes. What i don't understand then is on the commercial for the always on feature, why not just have the phone in an empty room with some offscreen voice giving commands? And why do they bother showing the different colors? Why not just put the website in black letters against a white backing?

08-06-2013 02:12 PM
    Let's look at their website to see if we can gain a little insight into how they're prioritizing these features from a marketable standpoint.

Motorola Mobility LLC. USA

#1: Custom design, assembled in the USA
    #2: Active Display
    #3: Touchless Controls
    #4: Camera gesture
    #5: Tech specs

Based on that, I would tend to agree that Motorola is not only most proud and excited by their ability to allow you, the consumer, to customize your phone's appearance, but they're hoping you will be too.

Bonus points for curious omission: nothing about battery life. Seems strange considering how positive early reports have been.
    08-06-2013 02:25 PM
    Ok, gotcha. I'm a little thick sometimes. What i don't understand then is on the commercial for the always on feature, why not just have the phone in an empty room with some offscreen voice giving commands? And why do they bother showing the different colors? Why not just put the website in black letters against a white backing?

Well, to be fair, the ones we've seen so far are just generic commercials. Once the carrier specific ones start we'll probably see more differentiation and focus for the non-att ones.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    08-06-2013 02:31 PM
    Droid-life review is up... Battery life pretty much sucks just like almost every Android phone. I knew 2200mah wasn't going to cut it. Should have just bumped up the specs and the battery some, would have gave you the same amount of battery life.

This phone should have had a huge battery. Its not exactly the thinest of the bunch.
    philly likes this.
    08-06-2013 02:52 PM
    Droid-life review is up... Battery life pretty much sucks just like almost every Android phone. I knew 2200mah wasn't going to cut it. Should have just bumped up the specs and the battery some, would have gave you the same amount of battery life.

This phone should have had a huge battery. Its not exactly the thinest of the bunch.
    Did you even read the review? I've got a shiny nickel I'm willing to bet that you didn't.
    08-06-2013 02:55 PM

I don't think you were reading the same review. With 3.5 hours of screen on time he got 10 hours. With heavy gaming and 3.5 hours screen time, he got 5 hours with 24% left. Even on a heavier than normal day he got 11 hours with 26% left.

In normal usage, he went 9 hours and had 57% of his battery life.

ALL of those numbers destroy the One or S4.

Also, while the phone may not be the thinnest it IS smaller than pretty much everything else. Its got the biggest battery you could pack into it without making the whole thing bigger.
    08-06-2013 02:58 PM

Gizmodo also has their review up. About the battery:

While we wish the Moto X had a giganto battery like the new Droid MAXX for Verizon, we are happy to report that battery life here is rock solid. Even with very heavy usage (tons of web browsing, navigation, phone calls, and playing HD games every chance we got) we'd generally make it to 1am with 15 percent battery to spare. We'd expect a normal, lighter user to get the 24 hours Motorola claims, no problem. That's particularly impressive given that, again the Moto X is listening for your trigger command and often lighting up part of the screen to display icons. It milks that 2200 mAh battery for all it's worth, and handily outlasts the Galaxy S4, HTC One, and iPhone 5.
    08-06-2013 03:33 PM
    Phil's version this weekend was at 15 hours 9 min @ 30% with 4.5-6 hours of screen on (not including active display). That extrapolates to 21 hours 38 minutes and 6.5-8 hours of screen on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    08-06-2013 03:41 PM
    i've read almost every review that has been written on this phone including random people on youtube and i recall the vast majority loving the battery.
    08-06-2013 03:49 PM
    Gizmodo also has their review up. About the battery:
    you were blindly defending the moto x long before it was announced or any real specs were solid. Just like you religiously made excuses for the galaxy nexus's downfalls before it came out.

I just wish people would be more open minded about what phone they are getting, instead of picking one and then talking themselves into it after the fact. It's usually google fan boys who must have google's new thing (kinda like apple fan boys) regardless if it isn't the best, or even good.

I owned the galaxy nexus for a long time, and the phone was utterly a piece of crap.

the moto x isn't the best, its definetly good tho and much better than the Gnex.. but It's still the same group of people suddenly reinventing what people want in a smartphone to make it as if google is untouchable.

like no sd card on the gnex being a good thing all of a sudden, lte not on the nexus 4 was somehow a good thing aswell... and the moto x having a dual core cpu is a good thing too
    08-06-2013 03:57 PM
    you were blindly defending the moto x long before it was announced or any real specs were solid. Just like you religiously made excuses for the galaxy nexus's downfalls before it came out.
    I don't know what your problem is with me that you remember what I was posting about the Galaxy Nexus better than I do. Maybe you're right. I have no idea. That was almost TWO YEARS AGO. I don't hang onto messageboard posting the way you apparently do. I'm not going back to check because it's really not important.

Please stop stalking me. You're going on my ignore list.
    08-06-2013 04:06 PM
    I don't know what your problem is with me that you remember what I was posting about the Galaxy Nexus better than I do. Maybe you're right. I have no idea. That was almost TWO YEARS AGO. I don't hang onto messageboard posting the way you apparently do. I'm not going back to check because it's really not important.

Please stop stalking me. You're going on my ignore list.

you don't realize that maybe I am posting about something that was two years ago.. because unlike you I am only here when I am researching a new phone... ala contract upgrade 2 years later?

you have 1469 posts.. and 1481 global posts.. whatever that is. either way get over yourself.. no one is stalking you I just remember you acted the same way before.. rather obnoxious.
    08-06-2013 04:12 PM
    No you guys are right, I didn't read the droid-life review...

"So again, the battery life on the Moto X is neither bad nor great. Its really somewhere in the middle."

Typical fan boys go like this...

Specs leak.... "Oh this phone sucks bring on the next phone."

Phone gets announce... "That's it, I'm getting (another phone), this is a complete fail. That's the last nail in the coffin."

Next day, this is the best phone! "What am I going to do till it comes out! I can't wait for it! Take my money now!"

And before you sit here and say, then get out of these forums... I'm here because I don't mind owning the moto x to back up my HTC One after my GNex finally broke. I also enjoying having a backup that should get timely updates.
    08-06-2013 05:12 PM
    Well, to be fair, the ones we've seen so far are just generic commercials. Once the carrier specific ones start we'll probably see more differentiation and focus for the non-att ones.

Ok, that makes sense, thanks.
    But why is google spending $500 million on an ad campaign to put out generic ads and then let the carriers put out the ads that we should actually pay attention to?

08-06-2013 05:18 PM
    But why is google spending $500 million on an ad campaign to put out generic ads and then let the carriers put out the ads that we should actually pay attention to?

What makes you think that people only pay attention to carrier ads?
    08-06-2013 06:46 PM
    Probably for the same reason that Apple spends millions on ad campaigns for the iPhone and then lets Sprint put out ads for the iPhone.
    08-06-2013 06:49 PM
    What makes you think that people only pay attention to carrier ads?
    I don't really know what's going on. I'm just going by what my friend JHBThree is implying.
    08-06-2013 06:56 PM
    Probably for the same reason that Apple spends millions on ad campaigns for the iPhone and then lets Sprint put out ads for the iPhone.
    That's right. I remember back when Verizon first got the iPhone and I was seeing all those Apple commercials that Apple made saying that you could talk and surf the net at the same time.

My bad, I'm very forgetful.
    08-06-2013 06:58 PM
    No you guys are right, I didn't read the droid-life review...

"So again, the battery life on the Moto X is neither bad nor great. Its really somewhere in the middle."

Typical fan boys go like this...

Specs leak.... "Oh this phone sucks bring on the next phone."

Phone gets announce... "That's it, I'm getting (another phone), this is a complete fail. That's the last nail in the coffin."

Next day, this is the best phone! "What am I going to do till it comes out! I can't wait for it! Take my money now!"

And before you sit here and say, then get out of these forums... I'm here because I don't mind owning the moto x to back up my HTC One after my GNex finally broke. I also enjoying having a backup that should get timely updates.
    Read the actual time figures he gives. The battery life he got is better than pretty much anything except for the RAZR maxx.

08-06-2013 07:53 PM

Sorry. I meant carrier ads as in the type of ads apple does, where they advertise specific features but with the carriers logo at the end. I did not mean ads actually put out by the carriers.

08-06-2013 07:55 PM
    Well said. It wasn't even much hype, considering what other kinds of hype we see in this industry (*coughcoughAPPLE*).
    Apple doesn't hype there stuff up. The media do.

Posted via my awesome rooted Nexus 4 and Android Central App)
    08-28-2013 07:16 PM
74 123