My Problem with the "hype"

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
...is that is was generated by tech sites and tech junkies.

My challenge to you: Ask mom or dad what the Moto X is. Ask your neighbors. Ask college buddies.

I'll wager the most common answer you hear is, "The Motorola what?"

Members here need to understand that we represent the minority, and more importantly, a minority that Motorola is not targeting.

The market of people that this device is aimed at likely has only just begun hearing about the product, and quite likely have no idea what the words "Snapdragon" or "Adreno" pertain to.

Here's to hoping Google and Motorola did their homework and have a hit!

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well said. It wasn't even much hype, considering what other kinds of hype we see in this industry (*coughcoughAPPLE*).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Even most of the current misinformation about it is coming from these same sites.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The market of people that this device is aimed at likely has only just begun hearing about the product, and quite likely have no idea what the words "Snapdragon" or "Adreno" pertain to.

Right. And already in the past 24 hours, I've heard about the Moto X from two women who are not smartphone geeks. I was surprised that they had even heard of it. Both are very impressed by it from the news they've seen. One of them in particular is dying to get one and customize it so badly that she's going to try this weekend to get Sprint to move her upgrade date.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
...is that is was generated by tech sites and tech junkies.

My challenge to you: Ask mom or dad what the Moto X is. Ask your neighbors. Ask college buddies.

I'll wager the most common answer you hear is, "The Motorola what?"

Right. And already in the past 24 hours, I've heard about the Moto X from two women who are not smartphone geeks. I was surprised that they had even heard of it. Both are very impressed by it from the news they've seen. One of them in particular is dying to get one and customize it so badly that she's going to try this weekend to get Sprint to move her upgrade date.

And here is why it will fail. Right now no one knows what it is so they have to spend money to advertise it. But look at the advertisements "designed by you" is the biggest point they're making. How do you think your friend will feel when she goes into Sprint, somehow convinces them to move up her upgrade date, and then finds out she can't design her own phone? I guarantee she won't be happy. Its gonna leave a very bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
They can, they just have to wait. the marketing will pay off as it is a long term investment into brand image. Marketing in the terms of profitability on the device might not be optimal but in the long run it allows brand recognition as a device which supports the US economy and I bet people will support that idea.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
You don't know many Americans do you? We're not exactly known as a people who are willing to wait for things.

Cabbage Patch Kids, Tickle Me Elmo,Green Bay Packer Season Tickets, StarCraft 2, Star War Episodes, Readers of the Dark Tower Series, and many more items disagree.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Cabbage Patch Kids, Tickle Me Elmo,Green Bay Packer Season Tickets, StarCraft 2, Star War Episodes, Readers of the Dark Tower Series, and many more items disagree.

Cabbage Patch Kids and Tickle Me Elmo were a totally different generation. What percentage of people actually wait for Green Bay Packer Season Tickets? As far as your other examples, to make the comparison valid, people would have to not know about any of them, see a commercial for them and decide to pass up everything else in those categories to wait until they can have them, but have no idea how long they will have to wait.
Maybe I didn't phrase my statement correctly earlier, as obviously everyone waits for something. People wait for night to come before they go to bed for example. My point is that most Americans aren't gonna wait for an undetermined time for a device that just has one feature they like when there are other options available that are just as good or better.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
How do you think your friend will feel when she goes into Sprint, somehow convinces them to move up her upgrade date, and then finds out she can't design her own phone? I guarantee she won't be happy. Its gonna leave a very bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

And here is why you are wrong about my friend: I know her and her situation and you don't.

She knows Sprint doesn't have MotoMaker yet and won't until later this year. She just wants to get her upgrade date changed to sometime this year and then she'll wait if necessary. Sprint forced her to sign a new contract recently in order to get a corporate discount and took away her original upgrade date, which would have been sometime this fall. She just wants to cancel that contract.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
And here is why you are wrong about my friend: I know her and her situation and you don't.

She knows Sprint doesn't have MotoMaker yet and won't until later this year. She just wants to get her upgrade date changed to sometime this year and then she'll wait if necessary. Sprint forced her to sign a new contract recently in order to get a corporate discount and took away her original upgrade date, which would have been sometime this fall. She just wants to cancel that contract.

If she is following the situation closely enough that she knows that much information at this point, and knows what it takes to get the terms of her contract changed in order to get a smartphone at a different time, then your description of her as a non smartphone geek is somewhat inaccurate. Maybe she doesn't spend all day on android central, but I think she qualifies as a smartphone geek to a pretty good extent.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
If she is following the situation closely enough that she knows that much information at this point, and knows what it takes to get the terms of her contract changed in order to get a smartphone at a different time, then your description of her as a non smartphone geek is somewhat inaccurate.

AGAIN with the assumptions. You think you know my friend. You do not.

She isn't following the situation closely. She had heard of the Moto X. She did not know many of the details until I informed her of them. And I am the one letting her know how to get out of her contract.

Is there anything else you'd like to tell me about my friend since you seem to think you know her better than I do?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
To be fair, what tech product isn't hyped by tech sites and tech junkies? Any tech worth generating a buzz for is done by tech sites and junkies.

Or are you saying that their should have been no buzz or hype?

I agree that it was hyped too much, so I'm not disagreeing with the over-hype of this device (same thing happened with the One, S4, and every iPhone).

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Cabbage Patch Kids and Tickle Me Elmo were a totally different generation. What percentage of people actually wait for Green Bay Packer Season Tickets? As far as your other examples, to make the comparison valid, people would have to not know about any of them, see a commercial for them and decide to pass up everything else in those categories to wait until they can have them, but have no idea how long they will have to wait.
Maybe I didn't phrase my statement correctly earlier, as obviously everyone waits for something. People wait for night to come before they go to bed for example. My point is that most Americans aren't gonna wait for an undetermined time for a device that just has one feature they like when there are other options available that are just as good or better.

Green Bay Packers has a 105,000 person wait list with an average wait time of 1167 years.

On the waiting part of the phone:

This is how Apple has been able to prove through their statements that their sales are lower in middle quarters because they have many buyers who are waiting for the latest iPhone release. It is the same cycle with Samsung.

Apple has stated this repeatedly and until a couple months ago, most carriers were on an 18 month upgrade cycle.

People will wait for a brand they want.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, what tech product isn't hyped by tech sites and tech junkies? Any tech worth generating a buzz for is done by tech sites and junkies.

Or are you saying that their should have been no buzz or hype?

I agree that it was hyped too much, so I'm not disagreeing with the over-hype of this device (same thing happened with the One, S4, and every iPhone).

Oh no, not at all. As a tech enthusiast, I enjoy every bit of coverage, regardless how far off a product launch may or may not be. Next Nexus devices? Let's stalk talking!

I'm merely pointing out that if you're a member on Android Central and visit these forums regularly, you're very likely in the minority of smartphones owners and are even more likely some sort of mildly knowledgeable tech guy. And there's nothing wrong with that, either.

My argument is that the Moto X is a product for everyday people to help out throughout a normal persons day. And that seems to be a concept that many people here aren't grasping. As stated originally, this is a product for the masses, not for our minority of geeks.

The problem is Motorola teased and referenced what a game changing device the Moto X would be, however, what A/C members need to realize is that message was not meant for us. That message was for the target audience, which is not us techies.

So of course I expect the hype, and enjoy it. I suppose my thread title should have been:

"Not Every Flagship Product Suits Every Consumer- Deal With It and Buy Something Else"

Food for thought. Say one year ago a manufacturer was working on a dual core device, one GB RAM, and less-than-720p display, and a sub-2000mAh battery. The device would be ignored and passed over without consideration. But there's your iPhone 5.

People need to understand how to value a product. IMO, the Moto X is worth the top dollar ($199 on contract) for four main reasons:

1) Always listening to assist you
2) Entirely customizable (eventually will most assuredly be available for each carrier), something you cannot buy from any other manufacturer
3) Active display
4) Quick launch camera
5) U.S. built

Some of those don't scream luxury to your lot like "Snapdragon 800" might, but those are useful, valuable features/qualities that people will experience on a daily basis, that consumers can't get elsewhere. That's what this device is priced the way it's priced.

My thoughts, feel free to politely discuss!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The problem is Motorola teased and referenced what a game changing device the Moto X would be, however, what A/C members need to realize is that message was not meant for us. That message was for the target audience, which is not us techies.

Bingo.

So of course I expect the hype, and enjoy it. I suppose my thread title should have been:

"Not Every Flagship Product Suits Every Consumer- Deal With It and Buy Something Else"

Too much truth.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh no, not at all. As a tech enthusiast, I enjoy every bit of coverage, regardless how far off a product launch may or may not be. Next Nexus devices? Let's stalk talking!

I'm merely pointing out that if you're a member on Android Central and visit these forums regularly, you're very likely in the minority of smartphones owners and are even more likely some sort of mildly knowledgeable tech guy. And there's nothing wrong with that, either.

My argument is that the Moto X is a product for everyday people to help out throughout a normal persons day. And that seems to be a concept that many people here aren't grasping. As stated originally, this is a product for the masses, not for our minority of geeks.

Food for thought. Say one year ago a manufacturer was working on a dual core device, one GB RAM, and less-than-720p display, and a sub-2000mAh battery. The device would be ignored and passed over without consideration. But there's your iPhone 5.

People need to understand how to value a product. IMO, the Moto X is worth the top dollar ($199 on contract) for four main reasons:

1) Always listening to assist you
2) Entirely customizable (eventually will most assuredly be available for each carrier), something you cannot buy from any other manufacturer
3) Active display
4) Quick launch camera
5) U.S. built

Some of those don't scream luxury to your lot like "Snapdragon 800" might, but those are useful, valuable features/qualities that people will experience on a daily basis, that consumers can't get elsewhere. That's what this device is priced the way it's priced.

My thoughts, feel free to politely discuss!

I actually totally agree with you. As a spec guy myself (I love the latest and greatest hardware), the software features are drawing me in. I would need to see them in practice, of course, the Google Now functionality and Active Display (Peek) are really cool sounding.

Also, Snapdragon 800 doesn't sound that impressive to me. LOL :p

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
On the waiting part of the phone:

This is how Apple has been able to prove through their statements that their sales are lower in middle quarters because they have many buyers who are waiting for the latest iPhone release. It is the same cycle with Samsung.

Apple has stated this repeatedly and until a couple months ago, most carriers were on an 18 month upgrade cycle.

People will wait for a brand they want.

That's very true. I am past my upgrade date, but I'm waiting to see if these are the droids I'm looking for. If not, I'll move on to a One probably, but I'll be waiting for that too. I stopped at the Samsung experience at Best Buy, and was not impressed. I want to upgrade now, but I want to make the right decision. I hate waiting on things, but I hate regretting my purchases even more. People that care are willing to wait. Those that don't care will get whatever is available.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie