TheVerge review is up!

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I've read/watched pretty much all of the reviews from the reputable sites. Most of them seem to find the phone average or above average in most aspects. One video puts it up against the HTC One and S4:

Moto X vs. Galaxy S4. vs. HTC One - YouTube

Basically, it seems to prevail in some aspects, be evenly matched in others, and fall short in just a few. I definitely don't think this phone will be a bad option for those of us that are looking for a good Android phone in a small frame. The only thing that's making me hesitate is Verizon's current lack of Moto Maker and 32GB options...

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Basically, it seems to prevail in some aspects, be evenly matched in others, and fall short in just a few. I definitely don't think this phone will be a bad option for those of us that are looking for a good Android phone in a small frame. The only thing that's making me hesitate is Verizon's current lack of Moto Maker and 32GB options...

Vzn tweeted they're getting it later this year. I'd put my money on 3 months after debut.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I just watched the verve video,Finally seeing one in color on film, i gotta say, i'm kinda liking color now. :D.

But an Interesting point he makes is that android gets worse as time goes on? I've never owned an android. My Palm pre is pretty fast still even though obviously the hardware is way out of date, is that not going to be my experience with a phone like this?

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Wait. Seriously, several of you wonder why we don't believe Moto's battery claim? Why don't I believe Ryan Braun or A-Fraud? THEY FRIGGIN' LIED, that's why!! I am a Moto fan and will probably grab the Maxx now...why? They lie. When I got the Razr, they CLEARLY knew the battery was undersized since within WEEKS they came out with the Razr Maxx...only diff was the battery. They knew or they couldn't have come up with the Maxx that fast. And then they wouldn't let us change out.

Short memories you all have.

Uh, multiple reviews back up their battery life claims. Some even go substantially longer than claimed. So tell us again how 'they lie'.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

bryantest

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to cite some stuff from Engadget's review

Moto X review

Motorola never specified just what materials make up the 130 grams that is the Moto X's composite shell, but you can safely eliminate Kevlar and metal (Droid staples) from that list.

The glossy white plastic that frames the device looks chintzy. I use the HTC Droid DNA on a daily basis -- a phone that also retailed for the same $199 contracted price -- and despite the obvious design similarities (curved back, blunt edges), the Moto X ends up looking like a Fisher-Price toy in comparison. But much like those toys made for toddlers, the Moto X also looks like it's prepped to endure hard knocks and drops. That precious woven white backplate, however, will get messy. I know because within one hour of owning the device, an innocuous rubber stand we'd used as a photo prop managed to scuff the backplate. No amount of soap, water or Clorox wipes were able to completely eradicate these dark black scars. Keep that in mind when you're making your purchase. Like the bellies of swans, the white Moto X's backplate can get ugly pretty quickly.

Hmm..damn.. I was actually expecting Kevlar on the back! SMH!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to cite some stuff from Engadget's review

Moto X review

Motorola never specified just what materials make up the 130 grams that is the Moto X's composite shell, but you can safely eliminate Kevlar and metal (Droid staples) from that list.

The glossy white plastic that frames the device looks chintzy. I use the HTC Droid DNA on a daily basis -- a phone that also retailed for the same $199 contracted price -- and despite the obvious design similarities (curved back, blunt edges), the Moto X ends up looking like a Fisher-Price toy in comparison. But much like those toys made for toddlers, the Moto X also looks like it's prepped to endure hard knocks and drops. That precious woven white backplate, however, will get messy. I know because within one hour of owning the device, an innocuous rubber stand we'd used as a photo prop managed to scuff the backplate. No amount of soap, water or Clorox wipes were able to completely eradicate these dark black scars. Keep that in mind when you're making your purchase. Like the bellies of swans, the white Moto X's backplate can get ugly pretty quickly.

Hmm..damn.. I was actually expecting Kevlar on the back! SMH!

Why were you expecting it? There was absolutely no evidence that it would include it, and plenty of evidence that it wouldn't.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Why were you expecting it? There was absolutely no evidence that it would include it, and plenty of evidence that it wouldn't.

People dreaming up expectations for this phone and then becoming upset that their dreams didn't turn into reality seems to be the recurring theme with this phone.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
People dreaming up expectations for this phone and then becoming upset that their dreams didn't turn into reality seems to be the recurring theme with this phone.

Yeah I don't get it. The phone we got is EXACTLY what the actual leaks showed. The 'specs' that were going around were all posted on less than reputable android sites that seemed to want to make this phone into something it wasn't going to be.

Honestabebread

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Wait. Seriously, several of you wonder why we don't believe Moto's battery claim? Why don't I believe Ryan Braun or A-Fraud? THEY FRIGGIN' LIED, that's why!! I am a Moto fan and will probably grab the Maxx now...why? They lie. When I got the Razr, they CLEARLY knew the battery was undersized since within WEEKS they came out with the Razr Maxx...only diff was the battery. They knew or they couldn't have come up with the Maxx that fast. And then they wouldn't let us change out.

Short memories you all have.

You sound very entitled.

Posted via Android Central App

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm. Entitled. No more than anyone else here. I just expect the best and what's advertised. My point, back to JHB's question about how Moto lied about batteries, is that the fact that they so quickly upgraded the Razr to the Maxx within a few weeks points to the fact that by the time the Razr had hit the market, they realized the battery was too small. Development like that doesn't happen overnight. So while the first wave of Razr's was months of development, we're to believe that the new battery was suddenly overnight practically?

It became clear pretty quickly that the battery claims didn't hold up. Within a few months, (and I'm usually on wifi most days and not a power user, never listen to music on my phone...) it needed recharging regularly. Maybe Palm spoiled me long ago. But I don't want to buy an X and then have them send out an X squared in Oct and not let me upgrade. With the always listening mic now, I can't believe battery performance will get better...just me 5 cents.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm. Entitled. No more than anyone else here. I just expect the best and what's advertised. My point, back to JHB's question about how Moto lied about batteries, is that the fact that they so quickly upgraded the Razr to the Maxx within a few weeks points to the fact that by the time the Razr had hit the market, they realized the battery was too small. Development like that doesn't happen overnight. So while the first wave of Razr's was months of development, we're to believe that the new battery was suddenly overnight practically?

It became clear pretty quickly that the battery claims didn't hold up. Within a few months, (and I'm usually on wifi most days and not a power user, never listen to music on my phone...) it needed recharging regularly. Maybe Palm spoiled me long ago. But I don't want to buy an X and then have them send out an X squared in Oct and not let me upgrade. With the always listening mic now, I can't believe battery performance will get better...just me 5 cents.

Yikes, i hope this doesn't happen. How does something like that happen? And did they replace the batteries?

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

Well all of the tests so far have shown that the X has fairly good battery life. The battery life is the reason they used the dedicated language and contextual processors. Under low usage they easily last a day and even under heavy usage such as looping HD video I believe a review said the phone lasted 8 or 9 hrs.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
They all seem to say the same thing, that essentially that the price point is one of the few things that Moto/Google got completely wrong, otherwise it seems to be a average to above average device.

Honestly, it smells more and more that if Moto/Google wanted the carriers involved it had to cost more and there had to be exclusivity of features, etc. than if they sold it themselves and selling it themselves would not make it the hero device it is designed as.

Essentially they had to do business with the devils to make the device a success, which speaks more about the carriers than Moto/Google.

Dan

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, dptw...that's a question I posed a few days ago, wondering if hardware/software battery handling was different now. I did jump for the Maxx when Still1 linked to a 199 deal, making the price the same. And on VZW, hard to tell when the 32gb/custom models will show anyway. But I'm concerned about an even larger Razr than I already have...

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
They all seem to say the same thing, that essentially that the price point is one of the few things that Moto/Google got completely wrong, otherwise it seems to be a average to above average device.

Honestly, it smells more and more that if Moto/Google wanted the carriers involved it had to cost more and there had to be exclusivity of features, etc. than if they sold it themselves and selling it themselves would not make it the hero device it is designed as.

Essentially they had to do business with the devils to make the device a success, which speaks more about the carriers than Moto/Google.

Dan

What do you mean if they sold it themselves?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Except that isn't the sequence of events. Motorola's R&D group was experimenting with a massively bigger battery, and gave Verizon the final product to see if they were interested. The maxx was an accident and was not planned.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Except it's much more expensive. The Moto X is a great phone and deserves to be compared with the likes of the One and GS4, but nothing beats the N4's value.

How so? Have you purchased the N4 full out on Tmobile or from LG? Its $432 full retail price. (from tmobile)... Now it has a smaller battery, and worse materials (imo as well as others) Also it lacks the LTE Bands for carriers.. Which if the N4 had the other's then it'd probably cost the same as the Moto X... lol

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean if they sold it themselves?

As I see it, Motorola had two choices, sell it themselves (I. E. directly from Moto.com) or via the carriers.

The prior allows Moto to the set whatever price they want without the input of the carriers, but limits distribution as most citizens of the USA are of the mindset of purchasing a handset from their carrier and signing a contract, not directly from the manufacturer.

The later requires Moto to work with the carriers and meet their demands for pricing and exclusivity, but allows for greater distribution.

Dan

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
As I see it, Motorola had two choices, sell it themselves (I. E. directly from Moto.com) or via the carriers.

The prior allows Moto to the set whatever price they want without the input of the carriers, but limits distribution as most citizens of the USA are of the mindset of purchasing a handset from their carrier and signing a contract, not directly from the manufacturer.

The later requires Moto to work with the carriers and meet their demands for pricing and exclusivity, but allows for greater distribution.

Dan

Isn't that pretty standard to sell a phone through carriers? and more like extremely rare to do it any other way? (i dunno, just asking, i'm with Sprint, we have always had very limited options). They'd almost have to want to fail to sell it themselves and not through a carrier, no?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000