TheVerge review is up!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that pretty standard to sell a phone through carriers? and more like extremely rare to do it any other way? (i dunno, just asking, i'm with Sprint, we have always had very limited options). They'd almost have to want to fail to sell it themselves and not through a carrier, no?

Yes, not being available on carriers, in the US, cripples sales because you're losing out on carrier subsidies (nerds don't like them, but regular people do) and visibility.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Video review by Marques Brownlee after 1 week with the X (if you've never seen his videos, he does great videos, comprehensive).

Shortcut:
-Even as a geek i'm impressed
-Really likes the way it feels. From the form to the grippy back. Prefers that to both the s4 and htc1
-Performance: "Scary good"
-"Might not benchmark like the [quad core phones] but i guarantee you it feels and performs like one every day of the week".
handles multitasking, opening closing apps, handles web browsing exceptionally well, this and the new nexus 7 are the only 2 that glides through google chrome whatever site i throw at it.
-"Never any stuttering or lagging like in touch wiz, or htc sense, overall the phone has been buttery smooth every second since i first got it which is more than i can say for the GS4.'
-Says take it from him "someone who absolutely loves resolution and pixel density, the *only* time i can see a difference is when you put it side by side" (with a 1080P)
-"Frame rates are through the roof compared to other 1080P screens"

His favorite feature:
Voice activation. (and exactly what i said as well, believes as soon as someone gets to know it they're really going to want it)
Does a great job of recognition.
Battery life: "Battery life is REALLY good. I got an absurd number like 14-16 hours a day with heavy heavy use, certainly better battery life than S4 and htc1. I am very very pleased with the battery life."

The bad:
-Not a good camera, the biggest problem on the phone. Extremely extremely disappointing. I checked to see if there was plastic over the lens". lol. :D. Says in theory in can be fixed with software.
-Software feels a little unfinished, they can be fixed, but that is my biggest complaint.
-Speaker is loud but a poorly misplaced finger can mute it.

"I *really* love the moto X, one of my favorite phones to mess around with in a long time. It delivers way beyond what we expected to when looking at the specs."

A really nice phone to use and to hold. I recommend if you are a switcher, android user, incredibly easy. Even if it's not appealing to us geeks, resolution lovers, i think it's a pretty awesome first step btwn google and motorola.

Motorola Moto X Review! - YouTube

: )

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Based on the reviews I've read so far, I think I'll be turning "tap to focus" back on.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
How so? Have you purchased the N4 full out on Tmobile or from LG? Its $432 full retail price. (from tmobile)... Now it has a smaller battery, and worse materials (imo as well as others) Also it lacks the LTE Bands for carriers.. Which if the N4 had the other's then it'd probably cost the same as the Moto X... lol

The Nexus 4 is $349, compared to $699 for the Moto X. That's half the price. It does have LTE bands for T-Mobile, and you can't objectively say it has worse materials. So the only disadvantage is a smaller battery? I can buy an external battery pack for about $35, not $350.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 4 is $349, compared to $699 for the Moto X. That's half the price. It does have LTE bands for T-Mobile, and you can't objectively say it has worse materials. So the only disadvantage is a smaller battery? I can buy an external battery pack for about $35, not $350.

That's pretty awesome. Definitely less expensive than all other new phones. For people off contract it's a really great deal

re: $699. Moto is only $699 at BB off contract, they tend to do really weird pricing for off contract when i phone comes out, about $100 more than everyone else. S4 is $599 from a carrier so X will be similar to that.

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

The nexus 4 does not support T-Mobile LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Then why have thousands of people been able to use it?

Because Google and lg left a software hole that had since been patched. Some of the most important hardware elements for it are missing. But, I'm not going to say anything beyond that, because that isn't what this thread is about. Normal users cannot get LTE on the nexus 4.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Because Google and lg left a software hole that had since been patched. Some of the most important hardware elements for it are missing. But, I'm not going to say anything beyond that, because that isn't what this thread is about. Normal users cannot get LTE on the nexus 4.

But it is still possible to use LTE on the N4. LTE works on it, and it's far from impossible to get it working.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
But it is still possible to use LTE on the N4. LTE works on it, and it's far from impossible to get it working.

Its difficult, and the end result is certainly not comparable to the experience you'll get on an actual LTE device like the moto x.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Its difficult, and the end result is certainly not comparable to the experience you'll get on an actual LTE device like the moto x.

This.

Not to mention that the thought that any more than a small amount of people would want to actually fool with it is silly. T-Mobile was great in town when I had it, but let's not kid ourselves. The notion that they will ever have any significant LTE coverage is probably far fetched (and a real shame too).

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
This.

Not to mention that the thought that any more than a small amount of people would want to actually fool with it is silly. T-Mobile was great in town when I had it, but let's not kid ourselves. The notion that they will ever have any significant LTE coverage is probably far fetched (and a real shame too).

Lol. They already have more LTE coverage than Sprint; their network covers over 150 million people (or about half the US). The notion that they will ever have any significant LTE coverage? Well... they already have significant LTE coverage.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
This.

Ever? That's a pretty bold statement. Because ever is a really really REALLY long time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae