47 12
tools
    NOVEMBER? SONOFACHOCOLATE FUDGE!!
    JimBen73 and Tbayrgs like this.
    08-07-2013 10:39 PM
    That's just straight bull........

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/07...ntil-november/

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    One of the reasons im still on ATT, they know how to play the game of getting the better features first on phones, or even getting the better phones first (iPhone 1st gen)
    08-07-2013 10:43 PM
    I think what's missing from the discussion is what the competitive landscape will look like in November. Not just the excellent phones that have already been announced, but the Nexus 5 will be a huge factor. That, to me, will be the biggest threat to the field, including the MotoX.

Frankly, even if the customized MotoX were available on T-Mobile (my carrier of choice) today, I still wouldn't choose it over the One, even if they cost the same price.

A year ago, I would have been drooling for the MotoX, so my opinion that it may be outplayed by several competitors is more a comment on the the incredible achievements of the industry contestants.

My next upgrade is coming up, and too many great phones to choose from is a wonderful problem to have.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
    benhmadison likes this.
    08-07-2013 11:00 PM
    Look at the dates.

Sorry, I've just been wasting your time. Some people say things and I like to see where they get their information. The data you're looking for is on page 28 of Google's most recent 10-Q and page 89 of their 10-K.

Some interesting snippets as they pertain to your perspective of the company:

"Subsequent to our acquisition of Motorola Mobility Holdings, Inc. (Motorola) in May 2012, we initiated a restructuring plan for Motorola, primarily our Motorola Mobile segment, to reduce workforce, reorganize management structure, close or consolidate certain facilities, as well as simplify our mobile product portfolio. These changes are designed to return the Motorola Mobile segment to profitability."

And a lot of that restructuring revolved around trimming costs....

" Our full-time employee headcount was 54,604 (including 15,149 headcount from Motorola Mobile and 5,144 from Motorola Home) at June 30, 2012 , and 44,777 (which includes 4,599 headcount from Motorola Mobile) at June 30, 2013"

Motorola Mobility is not being run the same as it was before it was acquired by Google. I think that's plenty obvious.
    Different people have different views and insights and I don't think its a waste of time to discuss those views and insights if its a subject we're both interested in.
    Do I think Moto is being run differently than it has in the past? Absolutely! Unfortunately they're a hardware company being run by Google who is very inexperienced in running a hardware company and I think that inexperience is showing and is going to hurt. I hope I'm wrong. I've always been a Moto guy and I would love to see them on top of the smartphone world, but when this is what I see from Googorola's first effort, it has me worried. I think the exclusivity is a huge mistake. And if you look around the web, website after website after website; blogger after blogger after blogger; and commenter after commenter after commenter agree. And its not just the tech sites but mainstream site as well.
    Only time will tell, I just don't think time is on Moto's side.
    08-08-2013 01:30 AM
    Of course timing an awesome new feature on or around black friday never hurts anyone.
    08-08-2013 01:54 AM
    Not just the excellent phones that have already been announced, but the Nexus 5 will be a huge factor.
    Not to a large portion of the market. Not if, like the Nexus 4, it is only available through the Play store or T-Mobile. I'm sure it will draw a part of the tech crowd, but unless it's widely available, it's not going to be much of a factor.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-08-2013 02:19 AM
    Regarding the customization exclusivity, has anyone considered that this may actually be the preferred route by Motorola in order to account for scalable capability? In other words, start with one carrier, iron out the wrinkles, validate the predicted volumes, THEN open it up to additional carriers when you know you've got things like this working correctly? No one else has attempted this kind of thing before so I totally give them slack in rolling this capability out in phases. And considering that Verizon is "the biggest" by customer volume and that they are rolling out the Droid line in synch with the X, as well as AT&T's propensity to pony up some bucks to get exclusive deals (e.g. S4 Active, red S4, etc.), then things really start to make sense, IMO.
    +1
    Google loves to learn in the market place, and this is how to do it. They are getting an earlier start testing with their "Friends and Family" program, move to a single carrier, then wide launch. Wish I had a friend at Moto . . .
    Aquila likes this.
    08-08-2013 06:09 AM
    Not to a large portion of the market. Not if, like the Nexus 4, it is only available through the Play store or T-Mobile. I'm sure it will draw a part of the tech crowd, but unless it's widely available, it's not going to be much of a factor.
    Let's hope Google has learned from earlier lessons, especially a bit more about demand forecasting! But I was really writing about my own beloved enthusiast segment, who would be obsessively attracted to the Nexus 5 if it delivers a crazy cool smartphone offering like I think it might.

Speaking of next-level smartphone offerings, the Ubuntu Edge just got re-priced down to $695 this morning! So, go sign up to buy one now because availability post fundraising campaign is very uncertain, and the price now fits a more normal budget. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge/x/4109385

Plus, to those who felt my MotoX - skeptical comments irritating, the Edge is the best chance of my ending up with a 720p device, which may just cause my eyes to explode, though MotoX fans swear I'll be fine.

Ubuntu Edge, with an OS dual booting Android and Ubuntu, a sapphire-protected display, 4 gigs of RAM, 128 gigs of storage, etc, you'll be happy as can be and you can keep your MotoX as a fun phone!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
    08-08-2013 08:37 AM
    Size. Remember how important size is to many people. I've seen people look at S4s and get turned off after 5 seconds because they don't want such a huge phone. And the Note? Many general consumers take one look and think it's completely ridiculous. Again, I've seen it happen.

Hell, I think the S4 is too big. Anything bigger than my Galaxy Nexus starts to feel really awkward.
    This. I've been waiting for a decent quality phone that fits in my hand since the Era of 5-Inch Phones began. Even my Galaxy Nexus is a little too big for my taste. Personally I can care less if my phone has 2 cores or 10 cores. As long as it works pretty well, has a battery that lasts longer than 8 hours with normal use, and fits in my hand comfortably I'm happy. I was even strongly debating jumping to the iPhone 5S for awhile, but the X might meet what I need.
    08-08-2013 09:03 AM
    Too many people to quote so I will post it all right here.

1st:
    Somebody mention iPhone sales(United States only on below).
    The iPhone has been the top selling phone on the Big 3 Carriers. The iPhone has a very high retention rate versus all the other manufacturers(94 percent 2012).
    There is a good chance that the people who buy a iPhone in November, December have an iPhone already so the Moto X probably wouldn't have been a consideration in the first place.

2nd:
    I don't know what ATT does but they have been getting constant exclusivity deals(even short term). Verizon got the S4 one month after ATT and that date was pushed up by Verizon. HTC One coming soon after 4-5 months.
    I remember when I use to be with Verizon for so many years it was a common theme. Great Network, worst phones or last to the party.

3rd:
    When you think about Google owning Motorola, remember the most important thing.
    They didn't do it for the phone company.
    They did it for the patents.
    The phone company was a like a bonus prize.

And as discovered and reported, they overvalued the patents greatly with some of their wins with Microsoft(Moto wanted a few billion dollars for royalties and got a 2 million dollar judgement against MS).

4th:
    Sometimes I wonder if the problem with all this is not the fact that Google isn't a hardware company or they failed at the Nexus Q. Their Nexus phones and tablets are great and those are done in collaboration with other manufacturers.

The problem might be that Google needed more time and this is beta test phase 1. They shelved an 18 month product pipeline for this and I do like a lot of the results.
    At the same time they maybe weak at predicting how to manufacturing process and how they created a unique scenario by having this assembled in America.

Google might have been off more than they chew in order to get a Motorola phone out quickly after all the product revamping.
    08-08-2013 05:29 PM
    Somebody mention iPhone sales(United States only on below).
    The iPhone has been the top selling phone on the Big 3 Carriers. The iPhone has a very high retention rate versus all the other manufacturers(94 percent 2012).
    There is a good chance that the people who buy a iPhone in November, December have an iPhone already so the Moto X probably wouldn't have been a consideration in the first place.
    This, IMO, is the 800 pound gorilla in the room that nobody else was discussing. Everyone seems to only considering the marketplace in terms of Android devices but if anything, the Moto X seems to be the type of device targeting, shall we say, the 'less tech savvy' general consumer and I'd argue the prime target of the iPhone. Waiting until November to open up the customization to everyone is putting the Moto X right in the middle of the huge holiday sales period immediately after the iPhone release. And if rumors are true, there's going to be a whole bunch of color options on the 'iPhone 5C'. This, coupled with the total absence of any international release, it what I think is going to doom the Moto X. I certainly hope I'm wrong because I like the device--just think Motorola is royally f%$#ing up the launch/release.
    08-08-2013 06:35 PM
    I'm fine with the timing. Maybe by that time, the unlocked price for the 32GB version will come down too so I can use it for T-Mobile.
    08-09-2013 12:41 PM
    I'm shocked at how many MBA's find the time to post on Android Central. I also remember when the iPhone was going to be a flop because it was only on AT&T. I think Apple did ok with it. One thing is for sure, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony, Google, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon and everyone else needs to get their butts online and read the opinions of pimple faced teens living in their parent's basements because obviously none of them are cutting it and EVERY phone is a "flopped" failure to launch.
    08-09-2013 02:21 PM
    I'm shocked at how many MBA's find the time to post on Android Central. I also remember when the iPhone was going to be a flop because it was only on AT&T. I think Apple did ok with it. One thing is for sure, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony, Google, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon and everyone else needs to get their butts online and read the opinions of pimple faced teens living in their parent's basements because obviously none of them are cutting it and EVERY phone is a "flopped" failure to launch.
    Do you think Apple would be doing okay with the iPhone if it were STILL on just one carrier?

As for the MBA comment, I am shocked at how many with actual MBA's mismanage companies. An MBA is no guarantee of success or skill.
    08-09-2013 05:04 PM
    Do you think Apple would be doing okay with the iPhone if it were STILL on just one carrier?

As for the MBA comment, I am shocked at how many with actual MBA's mismanage companies. An MBA is no guarantee of success or skill.
    I don't pretend to know the in's and out's of Apple's (or any other company's) plans or business strategies...... unlike all of the aforementioned MBA's posting in this thread.

Oooooh, see what I did there?
    08-10-2013 12:15 AM

Interesting question.

Seeing how the iPhone is the top selling smartphone on all American carriers, here is an interesting thought process.

Would Verizon still be the number 1 company if they never got the iPhone?

Did the carriers need the iPhone more or did the iPhone need the carriers more?
    08-10-2013 08:24 AM
    Verizon was already the #1 US carrier without the iPhone. Remember people used to lament this fact, and folks who were "in the know" cited Apple's reluctance to hand over point-of-sale control to Verizon as the reason why it wouldn't happen. But it happened anyway. Knowing that, I think it's safe to say that Apple needed Verizon more for the iPhone to realize its full potential; it just wasn't going to happen otherwise.

I'm not saying that Verizon didn't also need the iPhone to help hold marketshare against AT&T, it just seems like they probably had more leverage.
    08-10-2013 11:55 AM
    An Exec from Motorola said that they chose only one carrier at first for the Moto Maker to be able to get their operations working handling the traffic....cant open it to all 4 immediately without a hitch...they need to work out the bugs then open up more later.

David
    08-10-2013 12:46 PM
    An Exec from Motorola said that they chose only one carrier at first for the Moto Maker to be able to get their operations working handling the traffic....cant open it to all 4 immediately without a hitch...they need to work out the bugs then open up more later.

David
    I speculated about that earlier. Do you have a link to this exec's quote? I'd like to read it.
    08-10-2013 01:20 PM
    Verizon was already the #1 US carrier without the iPhone. Remember people used to lament this fact, and folks who were "in the know" cited Apple's reluctance to hand over point-of-sale control to Verizon as the reason why it wouldn't happen. But it happened anyway. Knowing that, I think it's safe to say that Apple needed Verizon more for the iPhone to realize its full potential; it just wasn't going to happen otherwise.

I'm not saying that Verizon didn't also need the iPhone to help hold marketshare against AT&T, it just seems like they probably had more leverage.
    At the time when the iPhone was released, even though Verizon was the largest carrier, AT&T had the largest amount of smartphone users. Remember those users pay additional charges for a data plan that Verizon otherwise would not be getting. Losing out on the big money makers probably were a much bigger concern.

From a WSJ article at the time the Verizon iphone was announced.

AT&T has had the iconic device to itself since its introduction in June 2007.

Since then, the iPhone has fueled much of the carrier's subscriber growth and has given it a solid lead in smartphone customers.
    08-10-2013 01:25 PM
    At the time when the iPhone was released, even though Verizon was the largest carrier, AT&T had the largest amount of smartphone users. Remember those users pay additional charges for a data plan that Verizon otherwise would not be getting. Losing out on the big money makers probably were a much bigger concern.

From a WSJ article at the time the Verizon iphone was announced.
    As I already inferred, I have a difficult time believing that the two companies would agree to a contract that wasn't mutually beneficial. But that doesn't answer your question. Both companies made significant concessions to get the deal done, so just ask yourself which one made more.
    08-10-2013 01:57 PM
    I speculated about that earlier. Do you have a link to this exec's quote? I'd like to read it.
    Jephanie,

I believe it was the software engineer that made moto maker during an interview with kawasaki on youtube I think.
    08-11-2013 07:57 AM
47 12