How are Moto X buyers justifying the price?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Whether the specs are good enough for people is an argument that will never end. However, it is clear that the MotoX uses older, more optimized hardware when compared to the One or S4. So, how are buyers going to justify paying the same price as the competition. Are the added features worth the premium price? I know the Moto X is a more refined and optimized phone than a cutting edge powerhouse, aiming at usability, but is that worth the same as a flagship cutting edge phone?

I simply can't convince myself that I should pay a price for a phone when I can get a phone with much higher-end hardware for the same price. I would find it easier paying a nexus 4 price point for this, leading me to want to wait for the next nexus.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Battery life probably.

Even still, the S4 Pro is no slouch - even in 2013.

And I'd rather have a smooth performing X than a laggy Galaxy S4.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
So, how are buyers going to justify paying the same price as the competition.

It's worth it for me to pay $200 if I can have:

- near stock Android that isn't full of a bunch of **** that I will never use, like Samsung's TouchWiz and S-everything and HTC's Sense and Blinkfeed (I shouldn't have to hide the interface with a launcher or wipe it entirely from the device)
- on-screen buttons, thank god (I HATE the physical button of the Galaxy S series, the button layout on the HTC One, and the capacitive buttons on the Droid series)
- good size phone with large screen (S4 is too big)
- features that I likely will use, such as the touchless control
- Motorola radios
- X8 system, which really doesn't qualify as "old" to me

Yeah, that's an easy $200 for me to spend.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Whether the specs are good enough for people is an argument that will never end. However, it is clear that the MotoX uses older, more optimized hardware when compared to the One or S4. So, how are buyers going to justify paying the same price as the competition. Are the added features worth the premium price? I know the Moto X is a more refined and optimized phone than a cutting edge powerhouse, aiming at usability, but is that worth the same as a flagship cutting edge phone?

I simply can't convince myself that I should pay a price for a phone when I can get a phone with much higher-end hardware for the same price. I would find it easier paying a nexus 4 price point for this, leading me to want to wait for the next nexus.

There is nothing old about the hardware. The processor is a dual core version of the snapdragon 600 and it uses the GPU from the 600 as well.

I don't know why people keep clinging to this idea that the hardware is old. It's not. If you don't like the hardware, fine. But stop making stuff up about it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
If you ever have to "convince yourself" or "justify" the purchase of something, you shouldn't purchase it. That goes for more than just phones.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
you obviously dont know what the X8 processor is all about. its an optimized quad core processor.

Motorola Reveals More X8 Chip Details | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Top Motorola engineer defends Moto X specs (Q&A) | Mobile - CNET News

I hope you meant to say it's NOT an optimized quad-core processor. If so, go back and read those articles again. The two extra DSP's aren't even ARM cores. How does that make it a quad-core CPU?

Also, the simple answer to the question of how are people justifying the cost is this: Because it's what they want and they feel it's worth it. If it were me, the justification would be the software features. Namely, the voice stuff and Peek.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I know the Moto X is a more refined and optimized phone than a cutting edge powerhouse, aiming at usability, but is that worth the same as a flagship cutting edge phone?

Even though we know it is as fast and smooth etc as the spec-war phones, i get that the idea the screen and cpu are not what those companies sell as their latest most updated ones make it tough to see spending as much, but remember this, the X costs just as much to make it as the htc1/gs4 if that makes you feel any better. : ). Remember, it has additional cores that those 2 don't have either, hth. and remember, it wasn't the money which led them to keep that quad processor out, they deliberately left it out of the phone in order to make the phone better.

Last edited:

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The mere process of deciding to purchase something requires an analysis of costs and benefits; that is your justification of value. Some people have different financial tolerances, but the process is the same.

I get what you're trying to say, you just communicated it poorly.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
These are all good points. These responses help me understand what you guys truly value I am a phone.

Let me clarify, this thread isn't a personal one. I am not in the market for a new phone, and never was prior to the MotoX unveil. I just know that the price was a huge point of contention, and wanted to hear from the fans of the phone.

My personal thoughts are this: if the phone can perform this well for the duration of a contract then I think it's well worth the price. Nothing grinds my gears more than a "flagship" phone that performs admirably until an update rolls along. Do "4.x.x update ruined this phone!" threads ring a bell? Or, when apps leave the phone struggling like Chrome or high end games like Iron man 3. My perception was that the phones that can handle a contract are those with powerhouse processors and a gratuitous amount of RAM. This is why I am particularly interested to see if the X8 system can handle this with a dual core processor.

As far as features go, I 100% agree that it's a matter of quality over quantity. I love the features MotoX offers especially over the S4. The One offers great features as well.

SOLUTION: Stop buying phones on contract.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Usually I justify the price of whatever I am buying by opening up my wallet and handing the salesperson either cash or a credit card.

I figured that was the same for everybody.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
The fact that it was built in the U.S makes it pricey already. Materials are also better than most. I understand why this phone isn't cheap, there's a reason why most things aren't made in the U.S.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The gaff that it was built in the U.S makes it pricey already. Materials are also better than most. I understand why this phone isn't cheap, there's a reason why most things aren't made in the U.S.

Nobody knows the breakdown or impact on that yet. Also it is quite possible that Motorola realize that 199 is the magical price point.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The gaff that it was built in the U.S makes it pricey already. Materials are also better than most. I understand why this phone isn't cheap, there's a reason why most things aren't made in the U.S.

Choosing a pricepoint is also a matter of affecting market perception and making sure the phone can compete with higher end devices. It's not just about margins and costs of production.

But you probably already knew that.

DestinedtoGame

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I love how most of the people on this forum are talking about how this is a subpar phone, but yet none of them have used it. Most of the people who have used this phone are in love with it. Outside the camera of course. I have yet to read any bad reviews or have seen any major Phandroid blogger speak ill of this phone. Even Phil of this site seems to be in love with this phone. Specs aren't everything. Motorola has created a solid phone from what I am reading and that's the selling point. A solid phone that works!

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Wow AMTrombley0924, you certainly caused some chaos here haha.

A lot of Moto X Fans here I guess.

Just to be clear - I have a GS4 and have never experienced any Lag that you are all talking about - I got my GS4 from a Nokia Lumia 900 - all I can say is wow.

Also my Battery last me all day easily - I also love the big screen, any bigger then I would hate it just like the Note.

So what have we learned here today? To each is there own...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante