The X Camera and why cant Moto put a decent shooter in their phones?

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Some early impressions of the X are poo pooing the camera. Looking at some samples I can see why.

Which leads to a deeper question: Why cant or wont Moto do a better job with their camera's?

Thoughts?????

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
IMO most consumers don't really nit-pick smartphone cameras. They just want something they can quickly snap a shot of something and share it. Most smartphone cameras do this well.

Not everyone can our wants to be a professional photographer with their smartphone.

IMO Moto focused on a better user experience instead of the camera.

Just my $0.02.

Posted via Android Central App

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
IMO most consumers don't really nit-pick smartphone cameras. They just want something they can quickly snap a shot of something and share it. Most smartphone cameras do this well.

Not everyone can our wants to be a professional photographer with their smartphone.

IMO Moto focused on a better user experience instead of the camera.

Just my $0.02.

I think you are right that it is probably a serviceable camera for their target audience, but it's really starting to sound like an Apple forum with all the excusing of hardware with the line, "we focused on the user experience".

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
........but it's really starting to sound like an Apple forum with all the excusing of hardware with the line, "we focused on the user experience".

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

This is why I think Moto has a hit on their hands.

Customization of Android with the user experience of an Apple device = Win.

It's about damn time!

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
While I am a moderately serious photographer.... I still want a "decent" camera in my smartphone. Smartphone camera's are reaching the point that they can almost replace a mid-range point and shoot except for the reach/zoom.

My S3, S4, Note 2, iPhone 5 ..... all took/take decent photos. It appears the HTC One, Nokia's, Sony's do a decent job too. If there was only one company making a decent smartphone camera then I wouldnt be ragging on Moto about their cameras..... but that's not the case IMO. Samsung, HTC, Apple, Nokia, Sony are doing a pretty good job with their camera's. I'd want Moto to do the same.

The best camera is the one you have with you.... I have my smartphone with me all the time.

Let me also say... I know, I know.... "then dont buy the X." :)

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Some early impressions of the X are poo pooing the camera. Looking at some samples I can see why.

Which leads to a deeper question: Why cant or wont Moto do a better job with their camera's?

Thoughts?????

I would like to know this as well. From what i've read the cams on their phones are usually poor. I wonder why as well.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

It's about damn time!

But regardless of how awesome the experience is, Motorola always seems to have poor cameras, does anyone know why? I've also heard a few times it's correctable with software, if that were the case has that been done with their other cameras?

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site

It's about damn time!

Part of "the user experience of an Apple device" is the camera.

streetslide

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Good Question. I am sitting here with an old Droid X, I like Moto but I have refused to buy another one until they put a decent camera in it. Had hopes for MotoX but wasn't impressed with the phone and if camera sucks then no Moto for me. I realize a lot of people don't seem to care if they have a sub standard camera but it's very important to me along with gasp... audio quality for calls and battery life.

Since Moto is not cutting it I am seriously looking at Samsung & LG. Sorry Moto.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
From everything I've read the camera is actually good but the software needs some tweaks to take advantage of it. Apparently the problem is with the post-processing and hopefully that will be fixed before or shortly after launch.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
From everything I've read the camera is actually good but the software needs some tweaks to take advantage of it. Apparently the problem is with the post-processing and hopefully that will be fixed before or shortly after launch.

Hope that is the case.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

They said the same thing with the MaxxHD and the camera was so bad that I sold mine for an iPhone 5. I really want to go back to Droid but my god.......everything that I am reading about the Moto X camera is bad. I wont be trading for a camera down grade. Waiting on the Nexus 5.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
They said the same thing with the MaxxHD and the camera was so bad that I sold mine for an iPhone 5. I really want to go back to Droid but my god.......everything that I am reading about the Moto X camera is bad. I wont be trading for a camera down grade. Waiting on the Nexus 5.

yeah, if they've been working on those software tweeks then this camera wouldn't have come out so poor. A fantastic reviewer who loves the X said he checked more than once to see if there was plastic or something on the lens. lol.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The camera does look disappointing. Come to think of it, everything about the Moto X looks disappointing. It seems there is an excuse for every short coming. The screen is weak so the battery will last. The processor is dated but it's designed differently, the camera is a clear pixel but so far it looks disappointing. I hope it sells well but I think it's going to be a complete failure.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
The camera does look disappointing. Come to think of it, everything about the Moto X looks disappointing. It seems there is an excuse for every short coming. The screen is weak so the battery will last. The processor is dated but it's designed differently, the camera is a clear pixel but so far it looks disappointing. I hope it sells well but I think it's going to be a complete failure.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

In what way is the screen weak? As in, it doesn't look sharp when you look at it? Everyone else who played with it liked the screen, what did it look like to you?

(or is this just some sort of weird concern troll type of bait comment and you haven't actually seen one).

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
In what way is the screen weak? As in, it doesn't look sharp when you look at it? Everyone else who played with it liked the screen, what did it look like to you?

(or is this just some sort of weird concern troll type of bait comment and you haven't actually seen one).

Definitely not trolling. I just think the screen is a step down from what a flagship screen should be. S4,ONE,LG G2,Note 3 and ONE MAX all have or will have 1080p screens and yes specs aren't everything but many people buy a phone to last 2 years and putting a display from 2012 in a device being released in 2013 is a mistake.

Sent from my Google Play Edition HTC ONE.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Definitely not trolling. I just think the screen is a step down from what a flagship screen should be. S4,ONE,LG G2,Note 3 and ONE MAX all have or will have 1080p screens and yes specs aren't everything but many people buy a phone to last 2 years and putting a display from 2012 in a device being released in 2013 is a mistake.

Sent from my Google Play Edition HTC ONE.

Here, this guy has 430K+ subscribers to his youtube channel and has uploaded 500 tech videos, he played with the X for a full week and makes comments on the screen after playing with it for a week. Go 3:32 - 4:42

Short cut in case you are not interested in someone's first hand experience with the screen i'll quote a couple things for you:

-"Never any stuttering or lagging like in touch wiz, or htc sense, overall the phone has been buttery smooth every second since i first got it which is more than i can say for the GS4. 1 because it's close to vanilla android stock, and 2 because it's a 720P screen. But is it bad for the viewing experience? Short answer: Nope. Take it from someone who absolutely loves resolution and pixel density, the *only* time i can see a difference is when you put it side by side" (with a 1080P) It's still sharp as a tack to my eyes and Frame rates are through the roof compared to other 1080P screens" .

Motorola Moto X Review! - YouTube

The X 720 screen being "sharp as a tack" but a difference being able to be seen if you hold it up against a 1080P, and the phone having great battery life, = good payoff, wise choice. Which he almost comments on:

"Turns out the battery life is really good, longer lasting than S4 or HTC. I got an absurd amount of hours out of it, 14-16 hours of heavy heavy use"

Last edited:

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I keep hearing reviewers say it's also the best Moto has done... So I guess it's a upgrade to my Droid 4, and I know its nothing compared to whats out, but I'm usually happy with it. That softness though, is there no marco setting? (news paper example in the video abouve) because I think most people actually use that one. Though like what was said with the software update, this phone is out on all 4 carriers and their first new hero device soo, I think their gonna try to fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz