08-14-2013 08:05 PM
59 123
tools
    I am beginning to think that the people who are judging the phone solely by looking at specs aren't actually interested in hearing anything about how well the phone actually works.
    In all fairness, Android phone competition had been spec driven in the past. Experience has not been at the forefront. The X could change that (and hopefully does). Some of these companies innovating towards driving the user experience instead of just bulldozing inefficency with hardware could really turn out some whoppers.
    Paisley and Tbayrgs like this.
    08-10-2013 06:58 PM
    Definitely not trolling. I just think the screen is a step down from what a flagship screen should be. S4,ONE,LG G2,Note 3 and ONE MAX all have or will have 1080p screens and yes specs aren't everything but many people buy a phone to last 2 years and putting a display from 2012 in a device being released in 2013 is a mistake.

Sent from my Google Play Edition HTC ONE.
    I don't understand this comment. Are you expecting some kind of technological advance over the next two years in the human eye that will let it see things better, so what is sharp now won't be sharp in 2 years? Or do you think that every time you use a touchscreen you rub some pixels off and after 2 years you'll have a WVGA display? I don't understand what wanting to keep a phone for two years has to do with using a display that has a pixel density higher than what the human eye can discern.
    ultravisitor and Paisley like this.
    08-10-2013 07:10 PM
    I am beginning to think that the people who are judging the phone solely by looking at specs aren't actually interested in hearing anything about how well the phone actually works.
    They can't. If they start paying attention to performance instead of specs then they might have to admit they're wrong, and we all know that nobody on the internet is ever wrong.
    08-10-2013 07:13 PM
    Exactly... everything is just kind of disappointing about it. And they put a screen thats weak in to get better battery life but then they put a small battery in it. So it's not gonna make a difference.

I mean it seems like a good phone but for 200 dollars on a 2 year contract its definitely not worth it. You got all these great phones coming out like the G2 and Nexus 5 and you still got the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One which are all better overall for 200 dollars.
    did you see the video i posted in return to the post you just quoted? and the comments by people who have actually seen the screen? what did you think of that. I also put up a post that talks about both screen and battery life by a dozen reviewers, check that out and tell us your thoughts once you've read through some information from tech writers who have used the phone. Would you do that? The first is just 2 posts above yours. Infact, here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ml#post2989028

tell ya what, what if i told you it had better battery life than the HTC one and S4 but barely noticeable difference in the screen. I mean, not if *i* told you, cuz i personally haven't played with it at all, let alone days at a time, but what if a dozen reviewers came out and *they* said that. Just what if.
    08-10-2013 07:33 PM
    The actual camera isn't bad, It's the software after the fact. The post processing is what is effecting the quality.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    08-10-2013 11:14 PM
    The actual camera isn't bad, It's the software after the fact. The post processing is what is effecting the quality.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    That may be but will it be fixed is the question. Also, if it can be "fixed" with a third party software will the camera gesture feature be able to trigger that application?
    08-11-2013 02:17 AM
    That may be but will it be fixed is the question.
    If history is any indication, don't count on it.
    08-11-2013 02:40 AM
    I am hoping the camera weaknesses can be fixed by using 3rd party apps. Or that they fix it themselves. I'm almost committed to buy this phone when it releases (I'm still debating on the Note 2 - Apples & Oranges, I know...). The camera is a huge factor for me. I use my phone camera daily to catch pictures of my daughters and what not.

I almost pre-ordered this phone but I'm going to hold off and try the camera out first. I really hope it turns out to be comprable to the iPhone 5 I have right now.
    08-11-2013 10:47 AM
    I think the camera on a phone is a crucial part of the phone itself. For sometime now the only people I see using a separate camera to take pictures are pure photographers and are using very expensive cameras. For every person I see using a separate camera I see 10 using their phone. It really has become a staple in taking pictures. What is the sense of adding 10+ megapixles to the camera if it is only going to take mediocre pictures. This will be a deal breaker for me if when I test the phone out the pictures aren't of excellent quality. I really want this phone as my Bionic is starting to fade in performance. The picture quality of my Bionic is not that good and I decided long ago that my next phone needs to take quality pictures as I only use my phone to take pictures now.
    08-11-2013 12:08 PM
    Customization of Android with the user experience of an Apple device = Win.
    With the lack of: In store warranty replacements/repairs/support. The lack of a unified ecosystem and controlled app store. The lack of direct software updates. Or the lack of a superb build quality. Or the lack of the largest accessories market. Lack of strong resale value?
    Yeah totally... an exact iphone copy...
    08-11-2013 12:21 PM
    With the lack of: In store warranty replacements/repairs/support.
    Has this ever really been an issue?
    The lack of a unified ecosystem and controlled app store.
    Oooohhh "ecosystem." What a compelling buzzword. Some might argue that the Google services are far more comprehensive and robust than what Apple offers. And there are 3rd party applications solutions for just about every synchronization requirement you can imagine. Speaking of 3rd party apps: thank goodness the Google Play Store isn't "controlled."
    The lack of direct software updates.
    wat.
    Or the lack of a superb build quality.
    What would give the Moto X a more "superb build quality?" A glass back that shatters when you look at it wrong? Or a brick-ish form function that feels uncomfortable in your hand? Or an even smaller screen? I know you live in an area where it apparently rains Moto X's from the sky, and your extensive experience operating the phone whilst having your head firmly stuffed up your rear trumps any credible review on the internet, but almost everyone has praised the Moto X's build quality.
    Or the lack of the largest accessories market.
    Are we talking about the phone still, or just grasping at straws?
    Lack of strong resale value?
    Resale value is a factor of supply and demand. With new Android devices coming out every three months, it's impossible to keep demand high for previously-released iterations. This has less to do with the Moto X and everything to do with the sheer number of options Android consumers have to choose from on the market at any one time. Can you say that for Apple?

Tell Siri I say, "hello." You're gonna have to hold down the home button to do that, by the way.
    Euan Tan likes this.
    08-11-2013 01:26 PM
    Has this ever really been an issue?
    Oooohhh "ecosystem." What a compelling buzzword. Some might argue that the Google services are far more comprehensive and robust than what Apple offers. And there are 3rd party applications solutions for just about every synchronization requirement you can imagine. Speaking of 3rd party apps: thank goodness the Google Play Store isn't "controlled."
    wat.
    What would give the Moto X a more "superb build quality?" A glass back that shatters when you look at it wrong? Or a brick-ish form function that feels uncomfortable in your hand? Or an even smaller screen? I know you live in an area where it apparently rains Moto X's from the sky, and your extensive experience operating the phone whilst having your head firmly stuffed up your rear trumps any credible review on the internet, but almost everyone has praised the Moto X's build quality.
    Are we talking about the phone still, or just grasping at straws?
    Resale value is a factor of supply and demand. With new Android devices coming out every three months, it's impossible to keep demand high for previously-released iterations. This has less to do with the Moto X and everything to do with the sheer number of options Android consumers have to choose from on the market at any one time. Can you say that for Apple?

Tell Siri I say, "hello." You're gonna have to hold down the home button to do that, by the way.
    1. Without the carrier taking care of the warranty aspect past the 30 days, yes it is a very serious issue. Specially for people with lesser known carriers, or people who are outside of the USA.
    2. Big word to mean many little things. It isn't as big of a difference but still helps a lot specially in app development. Less stretched out, bad res applications than on google play.
    3. Funny. You should read the reviews your treasured reviewers say about the Iphone 5 durability. Lastly by build quality I also mean fit and finish. And wow if you really think the Moto X has as good of build quality as the Iphone 5.
    4. Not really bud accessories really are important.
    5. You talked a lot said little. Reality still stands: Resale value on the Iphone>Android. Albeit I do agree with you, I do prefer choice hence why I am an android user.

Edit: Forgot about the updates part. I mean Apple distributes it's updates OTA without carrier's meddling their hands in it. It's direct to the consumers from the mfg (Apple).
    Motorola is known, and has been confirmed will be unchanged in regards to receiving Android updates.
    In other words: expect months of wait depending on your carrier.
    08-11-2013 01:38 PM
    while the initial reviews did say that the issue was overprocessing, the later reviews seem to indicate the processing is actually pretty good, especially when compared to the HTC One. However, the real problem it appears is inconsistency due to poor autofocus. Specifically, the autofocus *sometimes* focusing on something that is not intended. For some reason, activating touch to focus doesn't alleviate the problem. But, the autofocus works perfectly in video mode and you can take pics during video recording. When the focus is good, the pictures are *excellent*. Much more detail is visible in darker parts of a shot (which other phones crush to black), and detail is visible in lighter parts of the same shot (which look blank and bright on other phones). Really good dynamic range on this camera.

On a different note, i've read that turning auto HDR off causes shots to look washed out, and should be saved only for shots you're planning to post process with something like photoshop.
    Ry likes this.
    08-11-2013 03:26 PM
    Hm thats interesting. I knew about the really zoomed in detail. How come they arn't advertising the pictures during video? I never heard that they were doing that. Though I could also see the issue with the focus since they were going for quick shots. Maybe quick shots should be a option, but it should be a little slower at default. Didn't this plague the Galaxy nexus too?
    08-11-2013 03:30 PM
    Indeed. Apple isn't running a ton of commercials about their camera being the most used because it sucks
    08-12-2013 09:15 AM
    Some early impressions of the X are poo pooing the camera. Looking at some samples I can see why.

Which leads to a deeper question: Why cant or wont Moto do a better job with their camera's?

Thoughts?????

I would like to know this as well. From what i've read the cams on their phones are usually poor. I wonder why as well.
    It also seems to be widely believed that Motorola has superior radios.
    So if I have a choice between a PHONE that gets great signal or one that takes great pics, I'm going with signal every day.
    It is a phone after all.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-12-2013 09:58 AM
    It also seems to be widely believed that Motorola has superior radios.
    So if I have a choice between a PHONE that gets great signal or one that takes great pics, I'm going with signal every day.
    It is a phone after all.

Posted via Android Central App
    Agreed... But why can we not have both? ;-)
    08-12-2013 10:23 AM
    Has Google ever put a decent shooter on a Nexus?
    08-12-2013 12:03 PM
    https://plus.google.com/+Scobleizer/posts/8whQDmXXhHX

Check the album at the bottom of the post for sample pictures from the Moto X, Galaxy S4, and Lumia 1020. The Moto X photos look like crap, even in lighting environments that don't look particularly demanding. Pretty poor effort there by Motorola.
    08-12-2013 12:34 PM

Check the album at the bottom of the post for sample pictures from the Moto X, Galaxy S4, and Lumia 1020. The Moto X photos look like crap, even in lighting environments that don't look particularly demanding. Pretty poor effort there by Motorola.
    I wonder why they can't do it though. surely if the vast majority of phones come with better cameras, it's kinda weird the motorola can't seem to get a fairly good camera in at least some of their phones. It's just *weird*, no?
    08-12-2013 12:41 PM

from your article: "The Nokia photos totally blow away the other two cameras (the Moto x still looks better on my screen than the Samsung, with a few exceptions."

Also:

"Another piece of data? A few days ago I put up a bunch of photos comparing the Moto X to the Samsung S4. To my eye nearly every photo was better on the Moto X but many of you can't see the difference and, even, prefered the oversaturation of the S4."
    08-12-2013 02:00 PM
    Moto just tweeted this pic:

https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/367399191175102464

For reference, that roller coaster is going about 55 mph at that point. So, it's a decent example of how the "clearpixel" camera handles motion...

But it still looks like crap.
    08-14-2013 04:17 PM
    from your article: "The Nokia photos totally blow away the other two cameras (the Moto x still looks better on my screen than the Samsung, with a few exceptions."

Also:

"Another piece of data? A few days ago I put up a bunch of photos comparing the Moto X to the Samsung S4. To my eye nearly every photo was better on the Moto X but many of you can't see the difference and, even, prefered the oversaturation of the S4."
    Yeah, i've seen a ton of pic comparisons, one photo out of 5 comparisons the moto will be a little better, but 4/5 times its not moto for the win. lol. I can live with it, i know they won't fix it with software but i'm not a social picture taker anyway so i'm okay. It does pretty good with action shots so my dog will finally be in focus, even though he and his surroundings will look washed out most of the time. lol.
    08-14-2013 04:26 PM
    Moto just tweeted this pic:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRlDnikCAAA-Ncw.jpg

https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/367399191175102464

For reference, that roller coaster is going about 55 mph at that point. So, it's a decent example of how the "clearpixel" camera handles motion...

But it still looks like crap.
    Heh, honestly to me atleast it dosen't look like crap to me, thats a opnion. So is yours. I think the color, espcially on the roller coaster is great, the background is a little dull, and the shots not that sharp. But besides the sharpness it looks real. Love it. I think its one of the better phones from the X.
    Ry likes this.
    08-14-2013 05:46 PM
    Heh, honestly to me atleast it dosen't look like crap to me, thats a opnion. So is yours. I think the color, espcially on the roller coaster is great, the background is a little dull, and the shots not that sharp. But besides the sharpness it looks real. Love it. I think its one of the better phones from the X.
    Agreed.
    08-14-2013 06:15 PM
59 123