Moto X: Not about hardware. About the experience marketing blitz.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Lastly yeah apparently this has been turned into a troll thread.

Turned into? o_O

Yet another (correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm assuming because I'm lazy and this is right most of the time) Verizon Galaxy S4 user creates a post on the Internet to complain about a phone he or she doesn't have and probably will never get. Complete with facts (ones found in any review) to show how familiar they are with the phone, because they totally used it.

This was a troll thread from the minute you clicked the button to post it.

I don't mind it, you have every right to post your opinion, but you can't expect anyone to take it very seriously. So we're not.

briankariu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. Every point you have made here is what I have been saying, but getting literary booed down. I definitely do not think 2-3 features are enough to ask for that much money.
On the other hand, if they had stuck a 4000mah battery in there and guaranteed 2 days battery life, I would be throwing money at them at this point.
The PR machine is hard at work, and we should be able to see past it. Am just suprised how most people are defending it.
If any other android oem made a phone with this specs and dared call it high end, they would be laughed back to china/Taiwan/Korea

Posted via Android Central App

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Turned into? o_O

Yet another (correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm assuming because I'm lazy and this is right most of the time) Verizon Galaxy S4 user creates a post on the Internet to complain about a phone he or she doesn't have and probably will never get. Complete with facts (ones found in any review) to show how familiar they are with the phone, because they totally used it.

This was a troll thread from the minute you clicked the button to post it.

I don't mind it, you have every right to post your opinion, but you can't expect anyone to take it very seriously. So we're not.

Reading, Jerry. It's your friend. You should try it, specially with what you just wrote and what I've posted already.
Pretty **** poor but expected response from someone coming in here with trash posts, who by the way doesn't own the phone, right Jerry?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You said you tried the phone for one day. Jerry might not own the phone, but it would be a very good assumption that he is in close contact with Phil Nickinson, who has been testing the phone for the past couple of weeks and who will be writing a review pretty soon. So I'm going to go with Jerry on this one.

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Reading, Jerry. It's your friend. You should try it, specially with what you just wrote and what I've posted already.
Pretty **** poor but expected response from someone coming in here with trash posts, who by the way doesn't own the phone, right Jerry?

Also your first post should of included a tl;dr just saying ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Lastly I find first hand experiences lacking in this sub-forum. So far just a lot of name calling, parroting, and overall lack of critical thinking.

Are you saying that most people haven't used a phone that's not available yet(oh, I forgot, it IS available if you live near the factory)? I find that hard to believe. By the way, are you posting this while riding around in your flying car? I'm just wondering.

Speaking of parroting and lack of critical thinking-was there anything in your "review" that you posted that hasn't been posted in virtually every review of the phone so far? I give you credit for not actually using cut and paste, but you didn't bring a single new ounce of anything to your "review"

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

But I'm not saying anything about the phone I don't have. I'm merely commenting on your behavior. One important thing you seem to have forgotten...

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Are you saying that most people haven't used a phone that's not available yet(oh, I forgot, it IS available if you live near the factory)? I find that hard to believe. By the way, are you posting this while riding around in your flying car? I'm just wondering.

Speaking of parroting and lack of critical thinking-was there anything in your "review" that you posted that hasn't been posted in virtually every review of the phone so far? I give you credit for not actually using cut and paste, but you didn't bring a single new ounce of anything to your "review"

Guess you missed the first post or are just wanting to attack someone's character because you are bored? Either way it doesn't speak highly of you.

Wasn't anything new to add, lastly having the device for one days doesn't really grant me the same freedom as reviewers who have it for week(s). All I am hearing is excuses so far.

But I'm not saying anything about the phone I don't have. I'm merely commenting on your behavior. One important thing you seem to have forgotten...

Right. Because this sub-forum seems to be positive and constructive and not a neigh ounce of bad attitudes, trolling, and parroting? Anyways I came in with a serious thread about my 1 days experience, and my overall thoughts on Motorola's marketing campaign. No where did I troll, or make statements that would cause people to be riled up.

Apparently people who don't own or have ever used the device felt it necessary to come in and add nothing to the conversation but to ridicule?
Then you come in to add jokes?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X factory is a drive away (35 minutes away to be exact). I have only used the phone for a day. It was late last night and didn't want to have to type up another large paragraph on my experience using the phone.
Let's see:
Touchless controls were fun to use even if the microphone wasn't as responsive. When it works it works flawlessly, when it decides to hiccups I am stuck repeating Ok Google now a few times. It's a nifty feature however I find my self in awkward situations when texting friends, or trying to look things up and I am having to repeat my self Ok Google Now or I am having to disclose everything I am texting to strangers around me. Often times I found my self just reaching for the phone, unlocking and going ahead and using the device to perform more personal tasks (texting, emails, etc).

Quick Glances was nice, but it's just a neat feature not really terribly useful since it only displayed your last notification.
Camera is iffy, sometimes it takes good shots but most of the times it fails with contrast, sharpness, and detail. Bad post processing mostly. The Iphone 5 took better pictures despite being lower MP, and being far older. In low light scenarios it faired okay, but honestly the Lumia 920/928 completely tramples the Moto X's camera.
I did however greatly appreciate a non cluttered notification bar, similar to what you see on the Nexus device. Helped a bit when managing notifications.

The GUI is fast, and responsive. Only times I got lag were when updating multiple apps (auto update), uploading files, directly after playing a game, or downloading a large file. This appears to be normal on the smartphones I've used or own: HTC One, Samsung S4, Iphone 5, Moto X. I need to get my hands on an LG G2, perhaps one of my customers will come in with one once it releases.
Overall it seems to work just as well as a HTC one, or Iphone 5 albeit the Iphone 5 is a bit smoother experience due to the restrictive and controlled ecosystem and lower spec requirements to run iOS (no multitasking for one).
The S4 as you may know has touchwiz lag here and there although MF3 has certainly helped a bit, and with S voice disabled from home it's a bit better it still isn't as lag free as the HTC One, or Moto X.
Battery life was quite good..
It lasted 4:30 hours of heavy use before dropping to 25%~. That was 1.5 hours of gaming (Restaurant story in intervals, and playing mostly DH4), 30 minutes of youtube, 20 minutes of downloading/uploading apps, and setting phone up, and the rest of the time in my pocket.

Sound is okay, then again having an HTC One makes most speakers sound just "Ok."

Overall I can say the phone works really well, and for the price it's worth it. However the price justification doesn't come in the way of the 2 features heavily pushed by Moto X. It comes from the USA Assembled aspect, and the customization (which unfortunately are locked down to At&t until november).

So the battery is better in the X than the htc one and the gs4, the phone is less laggy, (and more comfortable hold in the hand, and in the pocket, you know, those little details about how it feels on and next to the body alllll day) which to me, sound like a much better experience, but yet this "better experience" thing is just a marketing scam so people should spend the money for laggy big not as comfy in the hand machine that they have to pick up off the desk to see if they have msgs dozens of times a day b/c technically, breathing/active notifications is just "1" feature (that just so happens to save people having to touch their phone dozens of times a day, 365 days a year). That is some freaky-deaky logic.

This might be hard to believe, but that's why some people prefer user experience over whatever you're on about. ready? Alum chassis, in your mind = "better" material, but if it's overly large and doesn't feel as good in the hand, it's is not "better" for many who are holding/using/carrying it.

Removable battery vs. charging a battery less often. That's not even worth comparing, but you seem to think non-removable battery is a weakness. lol. Ya know what's a weakness? Having to recharge your battery more often. Or maybe it's more high end to just carry extra batteries around cuz your phone can't hold a charge as long. Sounds like hot feature. lol

And I guarantee you a whooooole lotta people would prefer picking up their phone less, and waking their phone less often, charging their phone less often, taking their phone out of their pocket to check the time without having to wake the phone, to having BOOM SOUND. It's called convenience, and that's what we like about this modern era we live in.

I'll put it this way, my company just gave 100's of employees in my company free GS4's, many don't ike it, they are complaining it's wonky (glitchy) and many don't like the size. Guarantee you they woudn't be complaining about a 720P great screen on a buttery smooth fast phone that feels great in the hand, that fits nicely in their pocket, over an sd card.

Last edited:

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Every point you have made here is what I have been saying, but getting literary booed down. I definitely do not think 2-3 features are enough to ask for that much money.
On the other hand, if they had stuck a 4000mah battery in there and guaranteed 2 days battery life, I would be throwing money at them at this point.
The PR machine is hard at work, and we should be able to see past it. Am just suprised how most people are defending it.
If any other android oem made a phone with this specs and dared call it high end, they would be laughed back to china/Taiwan/Korea

Posted via Android Central App
What a tired shtick, and a wonderful fantasy of delusion you've painted for yourself. Is it too difficult for you to absorb that hardware specifications don't tell the whole story, and that real-world performance trumps numbers on a piece of paper? Honestly.

Most people aren't defending the Moto X, they're defending the opportunity to GIVE IT A CHANCE. People like you, who have just written it off as worthless and useless based on your cursory comparitive analysis of spec sheets, are the real enemies of critical thinking here.

Do you even find it a little strange that people who have actually used the Moto X have returned positive reviews of its performance? You're welcome to purchase whatever phone you want, of course, and if not having an off-the-shelf quad core CPU will keep you awake at night, then please don't get the Moto X. But do us all a favor and stop talking about that which you have no clue.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Guess you missed the first post or are just wanting to attack someone's character because you are bored? Either way it doesn't speak highly of you.

Wasn't anything new to add, lastly having the device for one days doesn't really grant me the same freedom as reviewers who have it for week(s). All I am hearing is excuses so far.

Right. Because this sub-forum seems to be positive and constructive and not a neigh ounce of bad attitudes, trolling, and parroting? Anyways I came in with a serious thread about my 1 days experience, and my overall thoughts on Motorola's marketing campaign. No where did I troll, or make statements that would cause people to be riled up.

Apparently people who don't own or have ever used the device felt it necessary to come in and add nothing to the conversation but to ridicule?

Unfortunately, I did read your first post. And besides the innumerable grammatical errors it just seemed to drag on and on trying to make a point without ever actually making a point while simultaneously contradicting itself throughout.
You say there wasn't anything new to add, but I can guarantee that within 24 hours of the phone being released, people who actually use it for a day will be posting dozens of new features and observations that haven't been mentioned yet.
Did you really come into a Moto X sub-forum, make a post bashing the phone and the people who are excited about it (accusing them of drinking the "cool aid"-whatever that is) and expect positive reactions?
And you keep mentioning that people don't own or haven't used the device...you seem to keep forgetting that we all don't live near the factory, so we cant just walk up to it, knock on the door and get us a Moto X like you did.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Just because we don't believe you, or don't have faith in your assessment does not mean we are the bad guys here. We just don't believe you or have faith in your assessment. These are the consequences of your actions. Spin that however you like.

If I were to talk about what I think of the Moto X after using it, I would start off with a picture of it in my hand. This is the Internet, where everyone has claims that they have done everything but die and seen everything but the wind.

I'll find out if the Moto X is a good device after I use one. Until then, it's all just more noise that adds nothing of value.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Just because we don't believe you, or don't have faith in your assessment does not mean we are the bad guys here. We just don't believe you or have faith in your assessment. These are the consequences of your actions. Spin that however you like.

If I were to talk about what I think of the Moto X after using it, I would start off with a picture of it in my hand. This is the Internet, where everyone has claims that they have done everything but die and seen everything but the wind.

I'll find out if the Moto X is a good device after I use one. Until then, it's all just more noise that adds nothing of value.

Fair enough, Jerry.
If I understand what you are saying: You basically say you will wait for the device to be in your hands to form an opinion. That's something I can agree with. Nothing beats first hand experience.
You (and everyone else) could of just forgone all the crappy jokes, and poor trolling and just been serious instead, don't you think so?

Then again that's expecting too much it appears.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, I did read your first post. And besides the innumerable grammatical errors it just seemed to drag on and on trying to make a point without ever actually making a point while simultaneously contradicting itself throughout.
You say there wasn't anything new to add, but I can guarantee that within 24 hours of the phone being released, people who actually use it for a day will be posting dozens of new features and observations that haven't been mentioned yet.
Did you really come into a Moto X sub-forum, make a post bashing the phone and the people who are excited about it (accusing them of drinking the "cool aid"-whatever that is) and expect positive reactions?
And you keep mentioning that people don't own or haven't used the device...you seem to keep forgetting that we all don't live near the factory, so we cant just walk up to it, knock on the door and get us a Moto X like you did.

I came with a serious thread. I apologize for the grammatical errors, it was very late. Next time I will wait until morning.
I came in expecting a conversation, not an immediate troll thread. Apparently people get hostile quite quickly here.

Then you got people like Larry here who's own profile picture seems to sum of his existence here on AC.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
So the battery is better in the X than the htc one and the gs4, the phone is less laggy, (and more comfortable hold in the hand, and in the pocket, you know, those little details about how it feels on and next to the body alllll day) which to me, sound like a much better experience, but yet this "better experience" thing is just a marketing scam so people should spend the money for laggy big not as comfy in the hand machine that they have to pick up off the desk to see if they have msgs dozens of times a day b/c technically breathing/active notifications is just "1" feature (that will save people having to touch their phone dozens of times a day, 365 days a year). That is some freaky-deaky logic.

This is exactly what I was thinking. He described all of the reasons why I would prefer the Moto X over the HTC One and the S4 and then argues that it doesn't justify the same price as the S4 and HTC One. I don't quite understand the point. I love the new features, I like that it has a better hand feel than the HTC One (which I think is a very nice looking phone), I like that it is smaller. But I get all of this and it's just as fast and its battery lasts longer. Why is this considered some kind of misdirection?

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, screw that Larry guy. Let's just repeat the spec war nonsense until we crap our pants.

t.gif

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
What a tired shtick, and a wonderful fantasy of delusion you've painted for yourself. Is it too difficult for you to absorb that hardware specifications don't tell the whole story, and that real-world performance trumps numbers on a piece of paper? Honestly.

Most people aren't defending the Moto X, they're defending the opportunity to GIVE IT A CHANCE. People like you, who have just written it off as worthless and useless based on your cursory comparitive analysis of spec sheets, are the real enemies of critical thinking here.

Do you even find it a little strange that people who have actually used the Moto X have returned positive reviews of its performance? You're welcome to purchase whatever phone you want, of course, and if not having an off-the-shelf quad core CPU will keep you awake at night, then please don't get the Moto X. But do us all a favor and stop talking about that which you have no clue.
First off, thanks for the serious response even if it is a tad bit hostile.

If they really want people to give it a chance they should focus on what it can do that other phones can't. Which so far is 3 main features, 1 being tied down to AT&T. Touchless control, quick glance feature, and customization. The vanilla stock appeal is already present in Nexus devices.
But those three features (well customization is awesome but sucks about it being tied down till about end of the year) doesn't really make an appealing phone does it? Nope instead they will use pretty words, and blanket statements to confuse the public into thinking the Moto X is different from the competition.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I came with a serious thread. I apologize for the grammatical errors, it was very late. Next time I will wait until morning.
I came in expecting a conversation, not an immediate troll thread. Apparently people get hostile quite quickly here.

Then you got people like Larry here who's own profile picture seems to sum of his existence here on AC.

There's always room for discussion and differing opinions, but when you start off your post saying that people are drinking Kool Aid and don't know any better, you can't expect people to be very civil about that.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
There's always room for discussion and differing opinions, but when you start off your post saying that people are drinking Kool Aid and don't know any better, you can't expect people to be very civil about that.

Point taken.

Lastly my multiquote is broken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol