How can a Snapdragon S4 Pro have 8 cores?

baldypal

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
So i was curious how Motorola can get away with the Snapdragon S4 Pro Dual and then say it has 8 cores: 4 for this, 2 for this, 1 for that, and 1 more for that. Now it's been a while since grade school, but how can they use a S4 Pro and describe 8 cores why can't they call it OCTA core?

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
So i was curious how Motorola can get away with the Snapdragon S4 Pro Dual and then say it has 8 cores: 4 for this, 2 for this, 1 for that, and 1 more for that. Now it's been a while since grade school, but how can they use a S4 Pro and describe 8 cores why can't they call it OCTA core?

Well as I understand it. It does have a dual-core CPU at heart, with 2 other smaller but not ARM cores to remove strain on the main 2 cores, like Nvidia's 'ninja' core. The oher 4 is the GPU, which its cores arn't well part of it.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

How can Samsung call it's exynos octal core? when it's a 4+4 config rather then a 8? marketing.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The S4 Pro doesn't have eight cores. No one has said that. It's the dual-core CPU which is part of the X8 Mobile Computing System, which altogether has eight cores of task-specific processing power (as was previously explained).

Calling it an "octacore" processor would be more misleading, since that is generally used as a CPU designation. I understand that it's confusing, but you're not being lied to. I promise.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
why do you assume things??? Motorola didnt call Snapdragon S4 Pro Dual as 8 core.
They called X8 as 8 core which is true, it has 8 core didnt it???

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
lol. Marketing.

Sales -> If the mouth is moving they are lying.
Marketing -> Will lie when convenient or to get the customer interested, but will use the truth if it suits them.
Engineering -> Will tell the hard truth unless someone in sales beat them to it with a lie.

Sales -> The x8 is an eight CPU chip.
Marketing -> It has eight processors on board. Four are GPU, 2 Arm cores are for apps and the other 2 are for context specific computting.
Engineering -> It's a dual CPU architechture with an Adreno GPU that has 4 processors in the GPU, there are also a couple of embedded units used for language processing, status and house keeping. You only have 2 real cores for computing. It's really a 3 CPU chip because the GPU, even though it has four units all work in tandem. The other processing units make the experience better but you can't count the processing power.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Here's how the math breaks down:

S4 Pro == Two application processors. Four GPUs.
Plus, one natural language processor core. One contextual computing core.

2 + 4 + 1 + 1 = 8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae