Obviously tons of people are going to order color devices and for whatever reason return the device. Usually manis refurb and use as replacements ppl under warranty, but how will that work for color handsets? Will they refurb by removing the outter body and replace with the black/white? Would that not be very expensive? Like $30+ a handset?

just curious. i've worked in product before but not re-servicble product.
    08-16-2013 10:15 AM
    Obviously tons of people are going to order color devices and for whatever reason return the device. Usually manis refurb and use as replacements ppl under warranty, but how will that work for color handsets? Will they refurb by removing the outter body and replace with the black/white? Would that not be very expensive? Like $30+ a handset?
    The smart thing to do would be to require a non returnable deposit on the phone.
    08-16-2013 10:17 AM
    The smart thing to do would be to require a non returnable deposit on the phone.
    that would be very unsmart if they would like to offer good customer service, fewer complaints, better shopping experience and more handsets sold. :D

Better to make the phone more expensive and smooth out the costs over all consumers. So i guess i answered my own question in regards to cost. :D. derp.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-16-2013 10:22 AM
    The first thing they will do is claim that not too many people return their phones. All companies seem to make that claim when asked what happens with returned product. The rest is up in the air. It depends on how well their phones are selling overall.
    08-16-2013 10:29 AM
    sell it refurbished with the same color??
    Ry likes this.
    08-16-2013 11:36 AM
    sell it refurbished with the same color??
    true, i suppose they could just say "accents may vary" and just do front and back choices so as to not have an inventory nightmare. That way it would only be 36 options as opposed to 200.
    08-16-2013 11:42 AM
    true, i suppose they could just say "accents may vary" and just do front and back choices so as to not have an inventory nightmare. That way it would only be 36 options as opposed to 200.
    to avoid inventory nightmare they could have a moto maker for refurbished MotoX and show color only for whats available
    08-16-2013 11:48 AM
    that's 200 skus for one 'you're lucky to get this at a good price refurb if you want it new buy it full price' phone. lol. Often the refurbs are for replacements for those who have coverage, so...well, no matter, i can see that they have options other than taking these things apart. That would suck. although they will have to take apart the ingraved ones, but that won't be too bad, not as many ppl will engrave.
    08-16-2013 11:55 AM
    Refurbs.

Either as-is (design-wise) or dismantled to be more generic.
    08-16-2013 02:37 PM
    They will probably just rip the parts off, and put a generic color on. It's a refurb. They'll offer probably a couple of color scheme options that are premade refurbs. A black option and a white option. Cost? very minimal. Besides, I imagine most refrubs have bezels and covers replaced as part of the refurb. I doubt it will matter to them.
    Paisley likes this.
    08-16-2013 03:07 PM
    I don't think cost will be that much. Apple is able to refurb their devices, starting as little as 1/4 the price of the unsubsidized Moto X, and all apple refurb mobile devices have a new shell and battery, and carry a full one year warranty when bought directly from Apple.
    Paisley likes this.
    08-18-2013 12:28 PM
    They have the cost of this program built into the margins of this phone. It is cheaper to build than other flagships which allows them flexibility to offer more customer service related perks along with the extensive customization program.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    08-18-2013 12:30 PM
    They have the cost of this program built into the margins of this phone. It is cheaper to build than other flagships which allows them flexibility to offer more customer service related perks along with the extensive customization program.

It's cheaper than what?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    08-18-2013 05:37 PM
    I don't think cost will be that much. Apple is able to refurb their devices, starting as little as 1/4 the price of the unsubsidized Moto X, and all apple refurb mobile devices have a new shell and battery, and carry a full one year warranty when bought directly from Apple.
    ohhh, cool, didn't know that. makes sense, of course cell companies have to put new shells on. derp.
    08-18-2013 06:07 PM
    ops, nev mind, can't be bothered.
    08-18-2013 06:20 PM

Probably marginally cheaper. The IPhone 5 cost $207, gs4 cost $234. Moto X probably cost somewhere in between. But factor in US assembly and also multiple color trim to production costs. Probably still cheaper to build than the s4,but not much. Keep in mind that is bom, and doesn't account for engineering costs, marketing, etc.

Moto is pushing the consumer experience, and a big part of that is customer service.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Ry likes this.
    08-18-2013 09:26 PM