Is this phone going to be right for my needs?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I can trade in my nexus 4 to almost pay for a on contract price phone. So there's not much out of pocket cost for me. And I'm on my parents family plan, so I'm cool staying on that for another two years at least.

nexus' seem to go for pretty good money on ebay, so maybe craigslist too, and also motorola is doing $100 trade-ins for old motorolas for people who buy new motos. I aquired an old motorola just for that purpose. just some things to keep in mind. So even if you stay on contract, maybe go that route and you'd end up ahead. So lets say you sell your nexus for $250 more or less, then buy an old motorola $25 to trade in, then you are actually up at about $100+ after getting your X, (+$250-25-199+100 = +$125). and can sell your X when the Nexus comes out and be perfectly even steven. ;)

Last edited:

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
nexus' seem to go for pretty good money on ebay, so maybe craigslist too, and also motorola is doing $100 trade-ins for old motorolas for people who buy new motos. I aquired an old motorola just for that purpose. just some things to keep in mind. So even if you stay on contract, maybe go that route and you'd end up ahead. So lets say you sell your nexus for $250 more or less, then buy an old motorola $25 to trade in, then you are actually up at about $100+ after getting your X, (+$250-25-199+100 = +$125). and can sell your X when the Nexus comes out and be perfectly even steven. ;)

Yeah, that is something to consider sidereal. Honestly, the att trade in was only 130 bucks. When I said almost, I guess I wasn't totally correct. I didn't think anyone would want to buy the nexus 4 on ebay or that I would get enough to justify the hassle.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that is something to consider sidereal. Honestly, the att trade in was only 130 bucks. When I said almost, I guess I wasn't totally correct. I didn't think anyone would want to buy the nexus 4 on ebay or that I would get enough to justify the hassle.

Check out prices on craigslist in your area. In my area they go for about $225/250. No hassle, someone just comes at picks it up at your house.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Check out prices on craigslist in your area. In my area they go for about $225/250. No hassle, someone just comes at picks it up at your house.

If you're going to sell your phone via Craigslist, make the transaction location at your nearest police station or something like that. There have been way to many muggings/thefts/murders over people trying to sell phones over Craigslist not to be careful.

Definitely don't do it at your home because you have no idea who is making the purchase or what their actual intentions are.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
If you're going to sell your phone via Craigslist, make the transaction location at your nearest police station or something like that. There have been way to many muggings/thefts/murders over people trying to sell phones over Craigslist not to be careful.

Definitely don't do it at your home because you have no idea who is making the purchase or what their actual intentions are.

oh daaaamn. eep!

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Yea.....Don't tell random ppl on craigslist where you live. I usually meet in a parking lot somewhere at a busy store. But def do it somewhere in public for your own safety.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
There are many news stories of people being shot trying to sell stuff on Craigslist even in front of busy shops and in public. You must always be very careful, and probably the safest areas to perform the transactions are around the law enforcers.

In this case the Craigslist seller only survived because he knew how to use his gun better than the thief and had calmer nerves.

FWPD: Craigslist thief killed after trying to steal man's phone | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
There are many news stories of people being shot trying to sell stuff on Craigslist even in front of busy shops and in public. You must always be very careful, and probably the safest areas to perform the transactions are around the law enforcers.

In this case the Craigslist seller only survived because he knew how to use his gun better than the thief and had calmer nerves.

FWPD: Craigslist thief killed after trying to steal man's phone | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Geez. That is unfortunate. I didn't know selling on Craig's list was that dangerous.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm probably just going to trade it in to AT&T at time of purchasing the phone just because I don't wanna deal with shipping, PayPal, or whatever. If I sell it on eBay, after ebay and PayPal takes there cut and etc, the amount I get will probably be in the general area of the 130 dollar trade in anyway.

Pretty much the moto x is my only option for stock android on a carrier, no? I mean, maybe I should save for a GE HTC ONE?

But if I can get a 250 dollar moto x and be just as satisfied, why not?

Does the moto x perform as well and have a better battery life than the nexus 4?

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much the moto x is my only option for stock android on a carrier, no? I mean, maybe I should save for a GE HTC ONE?

But if I can get a 250 dollar moto x and be just as satisfied, why not?

Does the moto x perform as well and have a better battery life than the nexus 4?

Saving for a GE HTC One is an option if you can eventually handle the $600 expense. You are then not tied to a contract for the next 2 years.

My guess is the Moto X should perform as good if not better than the Nexus 4. I'm guessing the Moto X battery life will be better than the Nexus 4. A further benefit of the Moto X over the Nexus 4 would be LTE.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Saving for a GE HTC One is an option if you can eventually handle the $600 expense. You are then not tied to a contract for the next 2 years.

My guess is the Moto X should perform as good if not better than the Nexus 4. I'm guessing the Moto X battery life will be better than the Nexus 4. A further benefit of the Moto X over the Nexus 4 would be LTE.

I don't mind that extended two years because I'm on a family plan and I'm not even using my upgrade, I'm using my dad's. So I'll still get my personal upgrade next year just in case I don't like the moto x.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
How much available to user storage does the 16 gb model have? I'm wondering if I can just go with that because I still have like 8 gbs free on my 16gb nexus 4. But it depends how much of that 16gb space is going to be available to me on the moto x.

Also, is the 32gb att model online only or in stores as well?

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
How much available to user storage does the 16 gb model have? I'm wondering if I can just go with that because I still have like 8 gbs free on my 16gb nexus 4. But it depends how much of that 16gb space is going to be available to me on the moto x.

Also, is the 32gb att model online only or in stores as well?

Think I read somewhere the 16gb will have around 11gb available.

Not sure about availability of 32gb.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Is the back of the phone made up of a material that's probably going to show dirt on the white version. I like how the white version looks, but am worried about yellowing from dirt.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Think I read somewhere the 16gb will have around 11gb available.

Not sure about availability of 32gb.

Gotta believe there will be close to the same software loaded, so 27 gb is a reasonable guess.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Is the back of the phone made up of a material that's probably going to show dirt on the white version. I like how the white version looks, but am worried about yellowing from dirt.

one blogger said he bumped it on something black and nothing he has tried has gotten it clean.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I started thinking that maybe the HTC ONE with sense UI might be a good or potentially better choice due to its specs and screen. But I really wanted something with stock android or close. Not sure how sense compares to that or if it will be as good a purchase.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I started thinking that maybe the HTC ONE with sense UI might be a good or potentially better choice due to its specs and screen. But I really wanted something with stock android or close. Not sure how sense compares to that or if it will be as good a purchase.

Based on the conversation so far it sounds like you're getting a better screen but making all of the other potential issues worse.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
the only thing i will say is you like your nexus 4 with a 4.7" screen but the moto x and the htc one will have the same size screen although the htc one will have a larger usable area since it does not have on screen buttons.

Personally i love my Nexus 4 i love stock android i just wish it had better camera and speaker. Really my only two main gripes about the device. I too debate the moto X and the HTC one but from what i hear the moto X camera is not that great and thats a bummer. Because i really like the idea of the touchless controls. especially if it could work over bluetooth. So im with you there that i also have looked at the htc one i also like the LG optimus G pro but that may be too big for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888