Release date on Sprint

thatguitarguy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I will preface this by stating that I just asked someone who worked at a corporate store, so take it with a grain of salt.

Without a beat she told me that it would be out this week on the 21st. I hope its true, but we all know how unreliable they can be and I think I remember hearing that Sprint prefers to release on a Sunday.

Either way, maybe its true and we will be pleasantly surprised.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I will preface this by stating that I just asked someone who worked at a corporate store, so take it with a grain of salt.

Without a beat she told me that it would be out this week on the 21st. I hope its true, but we all know how unreliable they can be and I think I remember hearing that Sprint prefers to release on a Sunday.

Either way, maybe its true and we will be pleasantly surprised.

Sprint employees are being personally handed phones on the 22nd (some employees, but all). So i think the 23rd/24th is more likely.
but it's so wtf right now. lol. and from what i understand nyc hasn't even been trained. what the... but number of employees have told me something is happening Thursday night.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

that was way back, lol, a whole 6 days ago (;)), but it was based on a rumor only. But i've had 1 employee check and tell me the 23rd, i've had one wink me a 23rd, and i know others are getting personal handsets on the 22nd. So based on that and the earlier rumors i'm betting 23rd. But very very odd that it's monday and still no word. Wouldn't be surprised if there has been a hiccup along the way.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
that was way back, lol, a whole 6 days ago (;)), but it was based on a rumor only. But i've had 1 employee check and tell me the 23rd, i've had one wink me a 23rd, and i know others are getting personal handsets on the 22nd. So based on that and the earlier rumors i'm betting 23rd. But very very odd that it's monday and still no word. Wouldn't be surprised if there has been a hiccup along the way.

I don't understand the secrecy here. Verizon I get since it has the One and 3 Droids coming out. But what does Sprint have? Unless they're having supply issues and do not want to announce something until their stores are fully stocked. Idk, it would be strange imo for it to come on that date since its only about 3 days away now and no announcement.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand the secrecy here. Verizon I get since it has the One and 3 Droids coming out. But what does Sprint have? Unless they're having supply issues and do not want to announce something until their stores are fully stocked. Idk, it would be strange imo for it to come on that date since its only about 3 days away now and no announcement.

2nd. That's why i think it's gotta be a hiccup. They get nothing out of secrecy unless they're not sure they can deliver.

roninlb

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been holding out for this phone, but since they're giving AT&T the 32GB and customization until November 31st from what I've read, I'm now looking for a different replacement phone. I think it was very stupid for Motorola to screw every other carrier and themselves by doing this.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I've been holding out for this phone, but since they're giving AT&T the 32GB and customization until November 31st from what I've read, I'm now looking for a different replacement phone. I think it was very stupid for Motorola to screw every other carrier and themselves by doing this.
Given the reality that Motorola is having difficulties with the release already (quality control issues with custom engraving), do you really think it was stupid of Motorola to do a staggered launch to get the kinks worked out?

I mean come on, people.

roninlb

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Actually if they knew about these issues, why announce the phone in the first place if they're not able to provide a quality product to begin with. Also, there are a lot of people that have been holding out for this phone and now we find out that we can't get the 32gb or customization, Motorola is going to lose a lot of potential customers.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Given the reality that Motorola is having difficulties with the release already (quality control issues with custom engraving), do you really think it was stupid of Motorola to do a staggered launch to get the kinks worked out?

I mean come on, people.

Ppl are thinking selfishly, perfectly understandable but no it's not a stupid idea. This is a new thing, nobody's done it before so it's very smart of Moto to do it this way.

Atm this is number one on my list, I'll wait until Nov/Dec and buy myself one for Christmas and see what the N5 has to offer. As far as I am concerned this is the somewhat perfect phone that I want and I KNOW the Note 3 won't even slightly appeal, LG was a disappointment with back buttons, the iPhone will still be an iPhone. They made a good phone for the average consumer.

I'm a bit unhappy that I can't buy this unlocked and customized right now, But I can also look outside of my own situation and realize this likely how Moto should have handled it.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Actually if they knew about these issues, why announce the phone in the first place if they're not able to provide a quality product to begin with. Also, there are a lot of people that have been holding out for this phone and now we find out that we can't get the 32gb or customization, Motorola is going to lose a lot of potential customers.

Yea.....out of the 7 billion ppl on the planet Moto is concerned with making the 100 tech babies who scream gimme what I want NOW.

IF you want it right now then go to AT&T or cry to your carrier that they wouldn't pay to have customization at launch.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
They're doing something that's never been done before in this industry, and probably won't be imitated for a while due to its complexity. There are people who can appreciate that, and there are those who can't. I get the feeling you fall in the latter category which is completely fine, but don't expect any Motorola execs to bust out the Kleenex just because you're on a different carrier and aren't patient enough to wait.

I'm sorry you're upset, but nobody owes you anything. Enjoy whatever phone you end up buying.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
They're doing something that's never been done before in this industry, and probably won't be imitated for a while due to its complexity. There are people who can appreciate that, and there are those who can't. I get the feeling you fall in the latter category which is completely fine, but don't expect any Motorola execs to bust out the Kleenex just because you're on a different carrier and aren't patient enough to wait.

I'm sorry you're upset, but nobody owes you anything. Enjoy whatever phone you end up buying.

Given Motorola's losses, I would hope that the execs would be busting out the Kleenex for every consumer lost to a different product. No one really cares whether this has been done before or not - most people really care about the end result. If the end result is a phone they don't like and they go somewhere else, that's Motorolas loss and not the consumers.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, Motorola's obligation is to make sure no one buys a phone from another OEM ever again. Because that's the only way they'll be successful, right? Nevermind the fact that risk mitigation (like a staggered release) probably helps avoid a nationwide embarrassment, versus one that just affects AT&T customers in the near-term. blah blah blah

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Folks, until you have experience a supply chain from the manufacturer side of things, you simply will find it difficult to understand what they are undertaking and how complex it is. HTC wanted to do this and failed. They never were able to launch the idea. Moto is going to launch sans engraving, which I think is still a hell of an accomplishment. Rolling or staged launches are not unusual when corporations are trying to perfect a system as complex as Moto has taken on here.

Once the get AT&T orders going smoothly, I would expect them to roll out to other carriers. I don't think you will see a release date, because all they have are targets that will move as they learn.

Is it rocky and imperfect? Yes, but not unexpected.

Should we give them credit and a little leeway for actually trying something new and risky? Absolutely, this is new ground. Innovation is rarely neat and tidy.

Do they risk losing interest as time moves on? Probably, but they would lose more by launching all out and being unable to fill orders for weeks, or from crappy quality.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Motorola's obligation is to make sure no one buys a phone from another OEM ever again. Because that's the only way they'll be successful, right? Nevermind the fact that risk mitigation (like a staggered release) probably helps avoid a nationwide embarrassment, versus one that just affects AT&T customers in the near-term. blah blah blah

I'm not sure a staggered release is Risk Mitigation plan, but I'm not going to argue that point. I'd say Motorola's key priority would be to acquire as many customers as they can to stop the bleeding. Unlike the early arrivals like Apple, Motorola does not have the luxury of time to iterate their way to success - see what's happened to Blackberry/HTC!

Either way, I hope that Motorola succeeds. However, I'm not sure that their current strategy is the best one.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure a staggered release is Risk Mitigation plan, but I'm not going to argue that point. I'd say Motorola's key priority would be to acquire as many customers as they can to stop the bleeding. Unlike the early arrivals like Apple, Motorola does not have the luxury of time to iterate their way to success - see what's happened to Blackberry/HTC!

Either way, I hope that Motorola succeeds. However, I'm not sure that their current strategy is the best one.

Mitigation in the anticipation of potential supply chain issues that could stem from having a new to Moto assembly plant that is still ramping up staff and presumably parts that are still being shipped in. It's also Moto's first multi-carrier national release in the US and they might not know exactly what to expect in the way of demand.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

Not until November 31st?? Aw...now that means it'll NEVER come to anyone else. ;)