08-26-2013 05:20 PM
171 1234 ...
tools
    After you make a couple calls, would you mind going into the Phone app and swiping over to the people/contacts tab? I just want to know if it automatically generates the "Frequently Called" list. It's really just a personal OCD thing, but I hate having my favorites AND the frequently called, so I end up clearing my "Frequently Called" list pretty often... haha
    08-20-2013 05:48 PM
    i think this is my next phone. i just returned the Z10 to rogers. i loved its simplicity and intuitive swiping, but the ecosystem was lacking. i think the moto x has all that the z10 does and more.

i thought the z10 was a solid piece of hardware, what do you think about the moto x? i heard the buttons rattle a bit and kinda feel cheap. true?

p.s. how the heck does future shop have this phone for sale already? i was under the impression that it hasn't even launched yet!
    08-20-2013 05:56 PM
    After you make a couple calls, would you mind going into the Phone app and swiping over to the people/contacts tab? I just want to know if it automatically generates the "Frequently Called" list. It's really just a personal OCD thing, but I hate having my favorites AND the frequently called, so I end up clearing my "Frequently Called" list pretty often... haha
    Yes, it automatically generates the "Frequently Called" list.
    08-20-2013 06:13 PM
    i thought the z10 was a solid piece of hardware, what do you think about the moto x? i heard the buttons rattle a bit and kinda feel cheap. true?

p.s. how the heck does future shop have this phone for sale already? i was under the impression that it hasn't even launched yet!
    The buttons do not feel cheap nor do they rattle. The whole device feels like it was solidly made - feels better made than the Galaxy S4 (on par with the Nokia 920). I assume that someone got a defective or pre-production unit with some issues.

Rogers released a few phones within Canada prior to the official launch. In Victoria, Future Shop got two units - no one else has any Moto X's for sale here.
    08-20-2013 06:16 PM
    Yes, it automatically generates the "Frequently Called" list.
    Ah ok. Well thanks for checking.
    08-20-2013 06:16 PM
    The buttons do not feel cheap nor do they rattle. The whole device feels like it was solidly made - feels better made than the Galaxy S4 (on par with the Nokia 920). I assume that someone got a defective or pre-production unit with some issues.

Rogers released a few phones within Canada prior to the official launch. In Victoria, Future Shop got two units - no one else has any Moto X's for sale here.
    cool, thanks!
    08-20-2013 06:35 PM
    Have you tried using Helium or any other backup app to restore app data? Helium doesn't work with older Motorola phones, curious if it works on the new ones.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-20-2013 07:46 PM
    Have you tried using Helium or any other backup app to restore app data? Helium doesn't work with older Motorola phones, curious if it works on the new ones.

Posted via Android Central App
    Haven't tried any backup app as yet. Helium seems to require a desktop component - will try it later on tonight and report.
    08-20-2013 08:02 PM
    The most important thing is you are happy with your purchase and the phone you have. Personally, I consider the Moto X mid-range and would take a Note 2 or Note 3 over it any day of the week however as stated this is your purchase and I hope it all works out and you enjoy the phone.
    08-20-2013 08:17 PM
    Just chiming in that I picked up a Moto X too (also, interestingly, in Victoria BC).

I haven't had it long enough to have a detailed impression, but on the whole I really like the volume of the speaker, clarity of telephone calls (no issues hearing over sirens that were in the area), and the size of the phone. I think that I prefer the vibration motor of the Nexus 4 (I love the little pulse it had with every keyboard press), and would rather it was just a little heavier.

I absolutely adore the size of the device. Also, I thought I'd think it was just a stupid gimmick, but I already really like that the screen turns on to display if there are notifications when I take the phone out of my pocket. It's an amazing feature.

(For reference, in the past 1.5 years I've used a Blackberry 9900, Lumia 900, Galaxy Nexus [my daily driver for the past 8-9 months], and a Nexus 4.)
    Paisley and rion_j like this.
    08-20-2013 11:37 PM
    Oh, and one small thing if you happen to be a Rogers customer that's upgrading: I did a device upgrade, which meant that the device was $189.99, but it came with a $50 mail in rebate, so actual cost of the phone (on upgrade!) will only be $139.99.
    08-20-2013 11:42 PM
    Just chiming in that I picked up a Moto X too (also, interestingly, in Victoria BC).
    Where did you pick up the X from? A Rogers Plus store? Or a reseller?

I think that I prefer the vibration motor of the Nexus 4 (I love the little pulse it had with every keyboard press), and would rather it was just a little heavier.
    BTW, I find the vibration motor on the Moto X stronger than any other phone I've owned.
    08-21-2013 12:50 AM
    Where did you pick up the X from? A Rogers Plus store? Or a reseller?
    Got mine at a Rogers store on Quadra/Mackenzie

BTW, I find the vibration motor on the Moto X stronger than any other phone I've owned.
    Compared to my Galaxy Nexus, I prefer the Moto X. But there's something about the Nexus 4 that puts it as (based on what I've used) best of class for the motor.
    08-21-2013 01:54 AM
    The most important thing is you are happy with your purchase and the phone you have. Personally, I consider the Moto X mid-range and would take a Note 2 or Note 3 over it any day of the week however as stated this is your purchase and I hope it all works out and you enjoy the phone.
    I'm in the UK and would give my Note 2 and my left hand (I'm right handed) for a Moto X!
    Paisley likes this.
    08-21-2013 04:31 AM
    Oh, and one small thing if you happen to be a Rogers customer that's upgrading: I did a device upgrade, which meant that the device was $189.99, but it came with a $50 mail in rebate, so actual cost of the phone (on upgrade!) will only be $139.99.
    wow, sweet!
    08-21-2013 06:56 AM
    i'm curious about the curved back. what happens when you put it in your pocket? i'm guessing it doesn't lie flat against your leg and thus a lot bulkier than most phones out there, no?

also, if you lay it flat on the table, does it wobble?
    08-21-2013 06:57 AM
    i'm curious about the curved back. what happens when you put it in your pocket? i'm guessing it doesn't lie flat against your leg and thus a lot bulkier than most phones out there, no?

The back is curved, but it's not a huge curve. It doesn't feel bulky (actually it feels quite small) and it does not wobble on the table either.
    08-21-2013 08:01 AM

I always put my phone in my pocket with the screen facing my leg. I do this because I would hate to have something hit me in the thigh and crack the screen of my phone. Just another way that I try to protect my device.
    08-21-2013 08:02 AM
    I'm guessing when putting in your pocket the screen will have to be towards your body. Having the curved back against your leg may not feel comfortable plus the screen would be facing out.

Think I saw a review that said the dimple on the back may prevent the phone from wobbling when laid flat on a table.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    08-21-2013 08:04 AM
    I'm guessing when putting in your pocket the screen will have to be towards your body. Having the curved back against your leg may not feel comfortable plus the screen would be facing out.

Think I saw a review that said the dimple on the back may prevent the phone from wobbling when laid flat on a table.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    It doesn't look like it's fully curved. It curves in from the edges and flattens again towards the middle - at least that what it looks like to me. That may be the reason it doesn't wobble.
    08-21-2013 08:22 AM

I haven't had it long enough to have a detailed impression, but on the whole I really like the volume of the speaker, clarity of telephone calls (no issues hearing over sirens that were in the area), and the size of the phone. I think that I prefer the vibration motor of the Nexus 4 (I love the little pulse it had with every keyboard press), and would rather it was just a little heavier.

I absolutely adore the size of the device. Also, I thought I'd think it was just a stupid gimmick, but I already really like that the screen turns on to display if there are notifications when I take the phone out of my pocket. It's an amazing feature.

(For reference, in the past 1.5 years I've used a Blackberry 9900, Lumia 900, Galaxy Nexus [my daily driver for the past 8-9 months], and a Nexus 4.)
    Can i ask, why did you forsake your N4?
    08-21-2013 09:09 AM
    To both you guys who picked one up, how are you liking the Ok Google Now. Do you find it weird to say it out loud? lol. Either by yourself or in the presence of your live-in?
    08-21-2013 09:48 AM
    To both you guys who picked one up, how are you liking the Ok Google Now. Do you find it weird to say it out loud? lol. Either by yourself or in the presence of your live-in?
    Yes, it is weird to say it. I'll get over it soon, however not sure whether everyone else will. For now, most people aren't used to others talking to their phone. It might make it easier if it was a custom phrase that could be used rather than "Ok Google Now".
    08-21-2013 10:11 AM
    Yes, it is weird to say it. I'll get over it soon, however not sure whether everyone else will. For now, most people aren't used to others talking to their phone. It might make it easier if it was a custom phrase that could be used rather than "Ok Google Now".
    Yes, i *really* want that. I think you can language change, but i think once you langauge change it's for everything. lol. Otherwise i'd do it in Chinese, just cuz chinese is fun to speak. lol.

(Hao Google Xinzi? although i bet "okay" is one of those words the chinese use, like bye bye).
    I wonder if you can record it anyway you want. then switch langauges.

Or try recordng it pronouncing now like the Country Down accent in Ireland "nigh". Might still be cuter than now. Okay google nigh (that's a hard i), so sounds like "buy" but with an N.
    08-21-2013 10:12 AM
    Can i ask, why did you forsake your N4?
    I only had it for a *very* limited period of time. It was the glass back, combined with the size of the device. Because of the glass I felt like I had to be super careful with it, all the time, and so it make carrying the device more of a task than anything else. It also felt just a little too big in my hand. I suspect that the device I picked up had build issues, as well, given that the GPS was often slow in locking with 4.3, and the wifi signal strength was weaker than on my Galaxy Nexus.

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't actually tested it yet; it's on the docket for today
    08-21-2013 10:21 AM
171 1234 ...