08-26-2013 05:20 PM
171 ... 567
tools
    Would either of you guys trade it for a Droid Maxx?
    I wouldn't, but a big part of the Moto X's appeal to me is its small size. the Maxx is just too big for my tastes.
    08-22-2013 07:46 PM
    That screen looks blurry as hell.

08-22-2013 07:46 PM
    That screen looks blurry as hell.http://denver.ukmerritt.com/1.jpg
    It doesn't in person. I was very impressed with it myself.
    08-22-2013 09:38 PM
    Would either of you guys trade it for a Droid Maxx?
    Not really. I would however like a 32GB version (with some customization), so if anyone in the US is willing to sell one let me know!
    08-22-2013 10:23 PM
    A couple shots from early evening. Note (a) how grey the sky is; (b) the incredible difference in lighting just from shifting between portrait and landscape shot.

08-23-2013 12:49 AM
    I've been extremely excited about the Moto X but i'm very concerned about battery life. I have an iphone 5 now and most days can easily make it through a whole day and go to sleep with 40%+ battery remaining. It's beginning to sound like the moto x has comparable battery life to the GS4? I had the GS4 for about a week and I was lucky to get half a day of battery life out of it (that's been all of my android phones actually, and i've had a lot of them). I'm really hoping the X has significantly better battery life than the GS4. I do a lot of music streaming from pandora/spotify over bluetooth and the iphone battery handles that remarkably well, how would you say the X holds up?
    08-23-2013 12:49 AM
    I've been extremely excited about the Moto X but i'm very concerned about battery life. I have an iphone 5 now and most days can easily make it through a whole day and go to sleep with 40%+ battery remaining. It's beginning to sound like the moto x has comparable battery life to the GS4? I had the GS4 for about a week and I was lucky to get half a day of battery life out of it (that's been all of my android phones actually, and i've had a lot of them). I'm really hoping the X has significantly better battery life than the GS4. I do a lot of music streaming from pandora/spotify over bluetooth and the iphone battery handles that remarkably well, how would you say the X holds up?
    Out of everything i've read, i'd say better than GS4 but not significantly to the point where you feel more at ease.
    08-23-2013 06:34 AM
    A couple shots from early evening. Note (a) how grey the sky is; (b) the incredible difference in lighting just from shifting between portrait and landscape shot.

http://i.imgur.com/wD0GL5a.jpg http://i.imgur.com/f8x0QLY.jpg
    this camera is so weird. The talk i saw btwn kawasaki and the person who i guess is the software writer for the camera they mentioned they had a "challenge" with clouds and cloudy skies. I'd say that's just about right. lol. It's weird what the camera has problems with. grant, it has problems with more lighting than it does not, but it's like it needs very specific lighting to work well. Can't be cloudy, can't have too much light coming into it, cant be dark.
    08-23-2013 06:39 AM
    Out of everything i've read, i'd say better than GS4 but not significantly to the point where you feel more at ease.
    Day 4 and I see the battery drop 4% an hour with little to no usage (i.e. just background services like BT, GMail active). Not sure it'd make 24 hours with moderate usage. I'm a little disappointed with the battery life as I assumed it would be way better than the GS4 I had.
    08-23-2013 08:18 AM
    You are doing something wrong. I've also had iPhone and many android, and if you don't have a rogue app on android killing your battery, many current gen android, including the gs4, get battery life as Good as or better than iPhone. So if you have issues with the moto x, download a battery monitor app and come here for help.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    08-23-2013 08:28 AM
    Day 4 and I see the battery drop 4% an hour with little to no usage (i.e. just background services like BT, GMail active). Not sure it'd make 24 hours with moderate usage. I'm a little disappointed with the battery life as I assumed it would be way better than the GS4 I had.
    yeah, i haven't heard reports of "way better".
    08-23-2013 08:34 AM
    Damien, Iike the landscape shot. It shows more detail that the 10mp sensor can pick up and the focus is close to spot on. Also the purple haze looks more pronounced in the portrait mode with the sky and the pebbles in the foreground imo
    With some tweaking, the camera/software in the Moto X can be really good. I think it's good now.
    08-23-2013 08:36 AM

You would see similar differences in any camera that is auto-metering these shots, even a DSLR. By changing to landscape mode you have completely altered the composition, and in this case, due to the amount of grey In the portrait orientation, the white point was changed too. This change will completely alter the way the camera handles the color and the amount of contrast you will see.
    Paisley and jephanie like this.
    08-23-2013 09:15 AM
    Can't you just return it before 10 days? I am really happy that I held off buying the Moto X until the real user reviews started coming in. I have yet to read a positive review by a real user.
    08-23-2013 09:22 AM
    Can't you just return it before 10 days? I am really happy that I held off buying the Moto X until the real user reviews started coming in. I have yet to read a positive review by a real user.
    So far the reviews haven't said anything different than other reviews. Reviews said battery was *better* than S4, but reviews did not say it was "way better". Reviews said cam was hit or miss. the user here has said the same.
    08-23-2013 09:24 AM
    I noticed that on my current phone that the Location Services were turning on about 300-500 times a day and pulling the battery down much faster than before which seemed to be Google Now doing it. Turned off Location services and the battery life went way up.

Might be worth a try to turn them off and see if that helps. Most reviews seem to indicate that battery life, from the smaller battery, was a bit better than the G4. There was a link in one of these threads that seemed to show that in exhaustive tests of videos, messaging, etc. that it was at least 10% better.

With regard to the camera, most phones seem to exaggerate the blues and greens. The pictures are beautiful but much more vivid than what I see with my eyes when I compare. So far I have yet to see but a few that I would put in the really bad category from the Moto. It's not advertised as the camera buff's phone. There are those that fit that group better, for sure
    08-23-2013 09:45 AM
    I noticed that on my current phone that the Location Services were turning on about 300-500 times a day and pulling the battery down much faster than before which seemed to be Google Now doing it. Turned off Location services and the battery life went way up.

Might be worth a try to turn them off and see if that helps. Most reviews seem to indicate that battery life, from the smaller battery, was a bit better than the G4. There was a link in one of these threads that seemed to show that in exhaustive tests of videos, messaging, etc. that it was at least 10% better.
    I've used BetterBatteryStats to see what was using up the battery. One of the culprits seems to be "NlpCollectorWakeLock" which seems to be related to the Maps Location Services. I've turned those off to test and should be able to have an update by the end of the day.

Having said that, the GS4 also had these enabled and it's battery life was on par with the Moto X. I would expect to see better battery life on the Moto X all other things being equal, but I don't. Additionally, turning off Location Services also affects Google Now - which I don't want to do either. Anyway, I'll check and see if it makes a difference.
    08-23-2013 09:55 AM
    It looks like the camera has HDR on, I read somewhere that i can be on automatically, could that be causing some of the oddities in your photos?

08-23-2013 03:19 PM
    I've used BetterBatteryStats to see what was using up the battery. One of the culprits seems to be "NlpCollectorWakeLock" which seems to be related to the Maps Location Services. I've turned those off to test and should be able to have an update by the end of the day.

Having said that, the GS4 also had these enabled and it's battery life was on par with the Moto X. I would expect to see better battery life on the Moto X all other things being equal, but I don't. Additionally, turning off Location Services also affects Google Now - which I don't want to do either. Anyway, I'll check and see if it makes a difference.
    This was the link I was referring to What to expect from the Moto X’s ’24-hour’ battery life | Android | Geek.com
    08-23-2013 04:51 PM
    Update: I'm on my second Moto X now and the battery life is better on the second one than the first. I've set up both of them exactly the same way and can't figure out why I'm seeing a difference.
    08-26-2013 04:41 PM
    stuff happens as they say

Most of the battery life reports appear to suggest quite a bit better life than the G4 from those that have had both. Perhaps the battery was not up to snuff on your first phone?
    08-26-2013 05:20 PM
171 ... 567