Picked one up today (Canada)!

princesultan

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
i'm curious about the curved back. what happens when you put it in your pocket? i'm guessing it doesn't lie flat against your leg and thus a lot bulkier than most phones out there, no?

also, if you lay it flat on the table, does it wobble?

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
i'm curious about the curved back. what happens when you put it in your pocket? i'm guessing it doesn't lie flat against your leg and thus a lot bulkier than most phones out there, no?

The back is curved, but it's not a huge curve. It doesn't feel bulky (actually it feels quite small) and it does not wobble on the table either.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

I always put my phone in my pocket with the screen facing my leg. I do this because I would hate to have something hit me in the thigh and crack the screen of my phone. Just another way that I try to protect my device.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing when putting in your pocket the screen will have to be towards your body. Having the curved back against your leg may not feel comfortable plus the screen would be facing out.

Think I saw a review that said the dimple on the back may prevent the phone from wobbling when laid flat on a table.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing when putting in your pocket the screen will have to be towards your body. Having the curved back against your leg may not feel comfortable plus the screen would be facing out.

Think I saw a review that said the dimple on the back may prevent the phone from wobbling when laid flat on a table.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

It doesn't look like it's fully curved. It curves in from the edges and flattens again towards the middle - at least that what it looks like to me. That may be the reason it doesn't wobble.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Just chiming in that I picked up a Moto X too (also, interestingly, in Victoria BC).

I haven't had it long enough to have a detailed impression, but on the whole I really like the volume of the speaker, clarity of telephone calls (no issues hearing over sirens that were in the area), and the size of the phone. I think that I prefer the vibration motor of the Nexus 4 (I love the little pulse it had with every keyboard press), and would rather it was just a little heavier.

I absolutely adore the size of the device. Also, I thought I'd think it was just a stupid gimmick, but I already really like that the screen turns on to display if there are notifications when I take the phone out of my pocket. It's an amazing feature.

(For reference, in the past 1.5 years I've used a Blackberry 9900, Lumia 900, Galaxy Nexus [my daily driver for the past 8-9 months], and a Nexus 4.)

Can i ask, why did you forsake your N4?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
To both you guys who picked one up, how are you liking the Ok Google Now. Do you find it weird to say it out loud? lol. Either by yourself or in the presence of your live-in?

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
To both you guys who picked one up, how are you liking the Ok Google Now. Do you find it weird to say it out loud? lol. Either by yourself or in the presence of your live-in?

Yes, it is weird to say it. I'll get over it soon, however not sure whether everyone else will. For now, most people aren't used to others talking to their phone. It might make it easier if it was a custom phrase that could be used rather than "Ok Google Now".

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it is weird to say it. I'll get over it soon, however not sure whether everyone else will. For now, most people aren't used to others talking to their phone. It might make it easier if it was a custom phrase that could be used rather than "Ok Google Now".

Yes, i *really* want that. I think you can language change, but i think once you langauge change it's for everything. lol. Otherwise i'd do it in Chinese, just cuz chinese is fun to speak. lol.

(Hao Google Xi?nz?i? although i bet "okay" is one of those words the chinese use, like bye bye).
I wonder if you can record it anyway you want. then switch langauges.

Or try recordng it pronouncing now like the Country Down accent in Ireland "nigh". Might still be cuter than now. Okay google nigh (that's a hard i), so sounds like "buy" but with an N.
please.gif

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Can i ask, why did you forsake your N4?

I only had it for a *very* limited period of time. It was the glass back, combined with the size of the device. Because of the glass I felt like I had to be super careful with it, all the time, and so it make carrying the device more of a task than anything else. It also felt just a little too big in my hand. I suspect that the device I picked up had build issues, as well, given that the GPS was often slow in locking with 4.3, and the wifi signal strength was weaker than on my Galaxy Nexus.

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't actually tested it yet; it's on the docket for today :)

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I only had it for a *very* limited period of time. It was the glass back, combined with the size of the device. Because of the glass I felt like I had to be super careful with it, all the time, and so it make carrying the device more of a task than anything else. It also felt just a little too big in my hand. I suspect that the device I picked up had build issues, as well, given that the GPS was often slow in locking with 4.3, and the wifi signal strength was weaker than on my Galaxy Nexus.

- - - Updated - - -

Phew! I keep getting nervous that androids slow down after like 3 months. lol.

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site

For me, at least, the Moto X feels like a really small phone (which is something that I like). The curve is gentle, which makes it more pleasant to handle than a 'pure' flat phone (IMHO). It doesn't wobble on the table, which I suspect is a combination of the fairly gentle curve and the Moto dimple on the back.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
When you go into an app do the onscreen bottom buttons retract? i have a phone now with the on screen buttons but when open an application they're gone. but now in recall of a review, they were still on i think on the X.

Astrotrain00

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
When you go into an app do the onscreen bottom buttons retract? i have a phone now with the on screen buttons but when open an application they're gone. but now in recall of a review, they were still on i think on the X.

Depends on the app I believe. For the most part, the buttons are there.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Depends on the app I believe. For the most part, the buttons are there.

what in the.... :p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(i know it's probably not just the moto, my :p is cuz... just :p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Not a rhetorical question but what's the point of having a 4.7" screen then? Why not just make it slightly less so we get the same viewable screen but not button interference over the screen?

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Not a rhetorical question but what's the point of having a 4.7" screen then? Why not just make it slightly less so we get the same viewable screen but not button interference over the screen?
Because on-screen buttons rotate with the phone. Hard buttons do not. Makes landscape navigation a challenge.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to make the on screen buttons much more tranparent? like tranparency at 90%+? or increased transparency while an app is open?

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
how do button phones deal with that?

BTW, I haven't seen any app (on the Moto X) that hide those buttons. And the rotation in landscape mode only rotates the button in place; they end up on the right side of the screen and not the bottom (as they do in portrait mode).