Picked one up today (Canada)!

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
How are the power / volume buttons? Some reviews have mentioned the buttons are loose and rattle around, other reviews have said they are solid.

Thanks in advance.

I've not experienced the buttons being loose or rattling. They feel solid to my hand.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you can place the phone face down to somewhat get this affect. If the phone is face down and then picked up the notifications will show.

Yeah, you can. I just rarely have my phone face down :)

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Some more shots taken with the X, to try and get across how it looks in different situations.

Inside in the morning, in a deeply shaded room. No flash.
17ZdrHG.jpg
Zp9nLCn.jpg

Inside in the morning, in a deeply shaded room. First image without flash, second with flash.
iyNwPSK.jpg
cD9EkQc.jpg

Shots in good sunlight:
leSVPQp.jpg

8VFY1tf.jpg

MfFnqky.jpg

pwHQZEP.jpg

A52RBfq.jpg

And here's one that shows how, sometimes, the colouring just goes really screwy:
p8g7Y4V.jpg

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Some more shots taken with the X, to try and get across how it looks in different situations.

Thank you so much for doing this.

This matches exactly what has been said in almost every review. Trouble in different lighting, and very hit or miss, takes a few shots to get a good shot. I'll live. I never take pics of people, only houseware i want to buy and then pics of the pup.

Your cat is so cool. I've always wanted a long-hair cat. She/he is gorgeous.

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for doing this.

This matches exactly what has been said in almost every review. Trouble in different lighting, and very hit or miss, takes a few shots to get a good shot. I'll live. I never take pics of people, only houseware i want to buy and then pics of the pup.

Your cat is so cool. I've always wanted a long-hair cat. She/he is gorgeous.

Ha - thanks. The orange one (Prada) always poses well. The other, Snowball, is a little more camera shy most days.

I'll probably post other pictures, at other times of the day, just to give an idea of what it's like to shoot with it under different lighting conditions.

One thing to note is that the camera shoots FAST. And not just one shot: I routinely am snapping 2-4 and then just choosing the best of the lot. It's a nice experience, and the ability to rapidly capture a set of images is also pretty great if you share images through Google+ as .gifs.

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Damn, thought I was in Red Deer for a moment....:D

One would think the color aberrations could be fixed if Motorola wanted to. I guess the question is If.

If the phone is in your pocket and you pull it out, will it come to life just as if it were laying face down on the table? this leaving the phone on the table is an alien concept to me :)

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
If the phone is in your pocket and you pull it out, will it come to life just as if it were laying face down on the table? this leaving the phone on the table is an alien concept to me :)

Yeah, if you pull it out it's just like you flipped it over on a table.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

princesultan

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
i think maybe you got a lucky break with the pricing and the mail in rebate. from what i'm hearing is that it's 239$ - 50$ mail in rebate with rogers, bringing it to 189$. i spoke to a few rogers stores and they both told me this.

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
i think maybe you got a lucky break with the pricing and the mail in rebate. from what i'm hearing is that it's 239$ - 50$ mail in rebate with rogers, bringing it to 189$. i spoke to a few rogers stores and they both told me this.

Interesting. The Moto wasn't in the database when I picked mine up, so the guy sold it to me at $189.99 based on Rogers' advertised price. That amount is in the written contract I have, so it's a solidified price in my case.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

It was in the Future Shop system for $169.99 (an extra $20 off the regular price) - no rebates or anything else. Additionally, the Rogers folks have told me the month to month pricing is $549 and the device subsidy is $360, which lends credence to the $189 price for the two year contract.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
My Gnex can get so hot that you could cook an egg on it. How does the X do? Are the radios good enough to avoid the heat issue?

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I think we can forget about low light photography here! :(
Now, I'm not one to place too much emphasis on a phone's photographic abilities since I have cameras I use for that sort of thing, but if that doesn't get sorted out through a software update by the time I'm ready to buy a phone I might have to skip over the Moto X. I mean, I don't need it to be dSLR quality, but it should at least be competent. That's just unacceptable.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Now, I'm not one to place too much emphasis on a phone's photographic abilities since I have cameras I use for that sort of thing, but if that doesn't get sorted out through a software update by the time I'm ready to buy a phone I might have to skip over the Moto X. I mean, I don't need it to be dSLR quality, but it should at least be competent. That's just unacceptable.

they're pretty woeful. The one of the cat is like one of those watercolor filters in photoshop.

Last edited:

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
A couple more images. This time, inside with overhead lights, with natural daylight coming in through the windows. (Ed. I chose those particular shots to indicate both different behaviour in different lighting profiles, as well as how the camera deals with multiple colors and often fine details (i.e. writing) )

LnlVUWe.jpg
Svbkmdr.jpg
tl3ePkn.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon