Picked one up today (Canada)!

Astrotrain00

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
The screen is fine in sunlight - it washes out a bit, but I've seen a lot worse. And as for battery life (after three days), it does not seem as good as the claims I've seen from Motorola. I pulled it off the charger at 5:30am yesterday and by 7:00pm, it was down to about 30%. This was with moderate usage - no streaming videos/music, only one phone call for a few minutes and about two dozen emails received and a few answered. This is just slightly worse than my GS4, but I hope that it gets better over the next few days. As expected, the screen is the biggest battery hog but I see the Android OS as the other big hog. The screen was at 44%, while the Android OS was 33% - not sure if there's anything running in the background (other than my email). I'll install a battery stats app and see what's up.

Any sunlight comparison to the HTC One or SG4? I'm coming from GNex so they're all better (I assume). More curious than anything.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Cool as a cucumber, but I've just used it normally. Haven't tried any games that could heat up the cpu/gpu.

Games? Heck. My Gnex gets burning hot just browsing the web or the Facebook app. It seems to be related to the crappy radios/poor signal strength; not just GPU operation.

It's great to hear your answer, though. I don't play a lot of games, so knowing the X runs cold is a good sign.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Can you see if you can train it to say "okay google now" with a slight accent deviation? Can you try it with a County Down irish accent? It would sound like "Okay Google.. " but the "now" would rhyme with "buy", so almost like night, but with out the T.

lol. I know that may sounds strange but it's close to the term but might still allow for accent deviation. Not that they would be expecting a local irish accent but surely they might account for a change in 1 syllable. I tried to do it in the store the other day with a droid but it wouldn't let me record b/c it was too loud in the background.

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
A couple shots from early evening. Note (a) how grey the sky is; (b) the incredible difference in lighting just from shifting between portrait and landscape shot.

wD0GL5a.jpg
f8x0QLY.jpg

touser

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I've been extremely excited about the Moto X but i'm very concerned about battery life. I have an iphone 5 now and most days can easily make it through a whole day and go to sleep with 40%+ battery remaining. It's beginning to sound like the moto x has comparable battery life to the GS4? I had the GS4 for about a week and I was lucky to get half a day of battery life out of it (that's been all of my android phones actually, and i've had a lot of them). I'm really hoping the X has significantly better battery life than the GS4. I do a lot of music streaming from pandora/spotify over bluetooth and the iphone battery handles that remarkably well, how would you say the X holds up?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been extremely excited about the Moto X but i'm very concerned about battery life. I have an iphone 5 now and most days can easily make it through a whole day and go to sleep with 40%+ battery remaining. It's beginning to sound like the moto x has comparable battery life to the GS4? I had the GS4 for about a week and I was lucky to get half a day of battery life out of it (that's been all of my android phones actually, and i've had a lot of them). I'm really hoping the X has significantly better battery life than the GS4. I do a lot of music streaming from pandora/spotify over bluetooth and the iphone battery handles that remarkably well, how would you say the X holds up?

Out of everything i've read, i'd say better than GS4 but not significantly to the point where you feel more at ease.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
A couple shots from early evening. Note (a) how grey the sky is; (b) the incredible difference in lighting just from shifting between portrait and landscape shot.

http://i.imgur.com/wD0GL5a.jpg http://i.imgur.com/f8x0QLY.jpg

this camera is so weird. The talk i saw btwn kawasaki and the person who i guess is the software writer for the camera they mentioned they had a "challenge" with clouds and cloudy skies. I'd say that's just about right. lol. It's weird what the camera has problems with. grant, it has problems with more lighting than it does not, but it's like it needs very specific lighting to work well. Can't be cloudy, can't have too much light coming into it, cant be dark.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Out of everything i've read, i'd say better than GS4 but not significantly to the point where you feel more at ease.

Day 4 and I see the battery drop 4% an hour with little to no usage (i.e. just background services like BT, GMail active). Not sure it'd make 24 hours with moderate usage. I'm a little disappointed with the battery life as I assumed it would be way better than the GS4 I had.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

You are doing something wrong. I've also had iPhone and many android, and if you don't have a rogue app on android killing your battery, many current gen android, including the gs4, get battery life as Good as or better than iPhone. So if you have issues with the moto x, download a battery monitor app and come here for help.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Day 4 and I see the battery drop 4% an hour with little to no usage (i.e. just background services like BT, GMail active). Not sure it'd make 24 hours with moderate usage. I'm a little disappointed with the battery life as I assumed it would be way better than the GS4 I had.

yeah, i haven't heard reports of "way better".

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Damien, Iike the landscape shot. It shows more detail that the 10mp sensor can pick up and the focus is close to spot on. Also the purple haze looks more pronounced in the portrait mode with the sky and the pebbles in the foreground imo
With some tweaking, the camera/software in the Moto X can be really good. I think it's good now.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

http://i.imgur.com/wD0GL5a.jpg http://i.imgur.com/f8x0QLY.jpg

You would see similar differences in any camera that is auto-metering these shots, even a DSLR. By changing to landscape mode you have completely altered the composition, and in this case, due to the amount of grey In the portrait orientation, the white point was changed too. This change will completely alter the way the camera handles the color and the amount of contrast you will see.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084