08-26-2013 06:20 PM
171 123 ...
tools
    One came in to Victoria (at Future Shop), so went over and picked it up. It's charging right now and I haven't played with it much, but it does feel fairly solid (esp. compared to the Galaxy S4). More feedback after the charging is complete, but here's a pic!

If you have any questions, fire away!!!

Attached Thumbnails Picked one up today (Canada)!-motox.jpg  
    B. Diddy, Aquila, Mooem and 3 others like this.
    08-19-2013 07:47 PM
    Lucky dog! Be sure to give us a full report.
    Aquila and chirag05 like this.
    08-19-2013 07:55 PM
    On a scale of 1 to mid-range, how does it feel so far?
    08-19-2013 07:59 PM
    That was stupid...but I laughed when I read it
    nemov likes this.
    08-19-2013 08:09 PM
    That screen looks blurry as hell. They should have gone with a 1080 screen. More mid range than I had hoped. /sarcasm

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    Paisley and badbrad17 like this.
    08-19-2013 08:23 PM
    I would love this phone except for the crappy camera.....I really wanted it to be the one for me but I just cant take a down grade on my iPhone 5 camera.
    Paisley likes this.
    08-19-2013 08:28 PM
    Feels small, but substantial in a mid-range kind of way. You can definitely feel the weight in spite of the mid-range specs. The back does not feel slippery and the Motorola dimple at the back is a great place to rest your index finger when making a call. I'd give it an 8 out of 10 for comfort.
    hounddogdaddy and Paisley like this.
    08-19-2013 10:09 PM
    I'm assuming you have a 16gb version. What is the available memory?

What is your initial impression of the screen?

Sent from my Nexus 7
    08-19-2013 10:30 PM
    I'm assuming you have a 16gb version. What is the available memory?

What is your initial impression of the screen?

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Yes, I have a 16GB version (no 32GB version for Canada). There's a little over 11GB left on a fresh install. First impressions of the screen are that it's average - neither the best or the worst. It is completely unremarkable.
    Paisley likes this.
    08-20-2013 01:43 AM
    Congrats on the purchase? How's the call quality? Also, do you plan on running a launcher or keeping it stock? I'm curious to know how it will handle something like Nova Launcher. I have a GNex and it lags sometimes and/or takes awhile to load a home screen and I attribute some of that to the launcher.
    08-20-2013 09:17 AM
    Congrats on the purchase? How's the call quality? Also, do you plan on running a launcher or keeping it stock? I'm curious to know how it will handle something like Nova Launcher. I have a GNex and it lags sometimes and/or takes awhile to load a home screen and I attribute some of that to the launcher.
    I haven't made any calls as yet with the phone, but it seems to get a better signal than my Galaxy S4. I am playing around with the Nova Launcher, but haven't decided whether to keep Nova or go back to stock. BTW, Nova runs just fine with the Moto X - I haven't seen any lag with it so far.
    08-20-2013 10:25 AM
    I know this is wayyyy to early to ask. But do you miss the LED notification? Okay, maybe answer later. Cuz you can't see notifications from afar or out of the corner of your eye. That's one thing about LED notifications have over breathing i think, although not sure.
    08-20-2013 10:28 AM
    Are you planning on trying this out as your daily driver, or is this just an experiment purchase (aka, just to play around with)?
    08-20-2013 11:08 AM
    I know this is wayyyy to early to ask. But do you miss the LED notification? Okay, maybe answer later. Cuz you can't see notifications from afar or out of the corner of your eye. That's one thing about LED notifications have over breathing i think, although not sure.
    I'm not sure as yet whether I prefer display notifications over an LED one. The LED notification is easier to notice (esp. out of the corner of your eye) since the blink rate is faster than the Moto display notification, but the Moto display notifications offer more information than the LED ones. It'll take some time to get used to this.
    08-20-2013 11:17 AM
    I'm not sure as yet whether I prefer display notifications over an LED one. The LED notification is easier to notice (esp. out of the corner of your eye) since the blink rate is faster than the Moto display notification, but the Moto display notifications offer more information than the LED ones. It'll take some time to get used to this.
    oh.

Thanks.
    08-20-2013 11:21 AM
    Are you planning on trying this out as your daily driver, or is this just an experiment purchase (aka, just to play around with)?
    I'm planning to use it as a daily driver for the next ten days and then decide whether I want to keep it or return it (or pick up a 32GB one from the US). So far, the size is what I like the most (coming from a stock JB Galaxy S4). If the battery life is as advertised and I can live with the 16/32GB, I'll probably keep the Moto X.
    betsuni likes this.
    08-20-2013 11:29 AM
    I think a LOT of people are going to miss LED-type notification, i've read a few people mention it. I see my little phone blinking at me right now. I appreciate that. I think even another poster he said i wonder if someone could make a flashing dot for it. I think they're right.
    08-20-2013 12:04 PM
    I think a LOT of people are going to miss LED-type notification, i've read a few people mention it. I see my little phone blinking at me right now. I appreciate that. I think even another poster he said i wonder if someone could make a flashing dot for it. I think they're right.
    I think it's just a question of getting used to it over time (I know that's easier said than done). However, I think the moto notifications will be more useful than the LED for a lot of people. I think as Moto offers more customizations (blink rates, numbers of notifications etc), it should be even more useful.
    08-20-2013 12:15 PM
    I haven't made any calls as yet with the phone, but it seems to get a better signal than my Galaxy S4. I am playing around with the Nova Launcher, but haven't decided whether to keep Nova or go back to stock. BTW, Nova runs just fine with the Moto X - I haven't seen any lag with it so far.
    Thanks, man. Thought of another one for ya. How's the camera? And what do you think of the wrist-flick motion? Is it as tricky to get as some of the sites have said or is it just a matter of doing it once or twice?
    08-20-2013 12:21 PM
    I think it's just a question of getting used to it over time (I know that's easier said than done). However, I think the moto notifications will be more useful than the LED for a lot of people. I think as Moto offers more customizations (blink rates, numbers of notifications etc), it should be even more useful.
    ooooh, you're right, they can just change the blink rate. Awesome, smart.
    08-20-2013 12:44 PM
    Thanks, man. Thought of another one for ya. How's the camera? And what do you think of the wrist-flick motion? Is it as tricky to get as some of the sites have said or is it just a matter of doing it once or twice?
    The camera photo quality is fine, but IMHO doesn't compare to the iPhone 5. The camera itself if pretty basic - not many options available. They should have augmented it with more functionality for advanced users. The good thing is that the camera starts really quickly especially in conjunction with the wrist flick. And the wrist flick motion is really easy to do - it's just like turning a door knob three times.
    Paisley likes this.
    08-20-2013 01:40 PM
    The camera photo quality is fine, but IMHO doesn't compare to the iPhone 5. The camera itself if pretty basic - not many options available. They should have augmented it with more functionality for advanced users. The good thing is that the camera starts really quickly especially in conjunction with the wrist flick. And the wrist flick motion is really easy to do - it's just like turning a door knob three times.

Do you have any comparison to the HTC One camera? Not sure if you've used the HTC One before.
    08-20-2013 02:04 PM

Do you have any comparison to the HTC One camera? Not sure if you've used the HTC One before.
    Yes, I used to have a Dev Edition HTC One. It was a great phone with awful ergonomics. Anyway, the HTC's camera runs rings around the Moto one (other than the raw MP count) - the photos were better, the camera had more features and it was a joy to use. I think however, if Moto updates the camera software, it could be as good as the HTC One/Galaxy S4.
    Paisley and SPD like this.
    08-20-2013 02:11 PM
    Yes, I used to have a Dev Edition HTC One. It was a great phone with awful ergonomics. Anyway, the HTC's camera runs rings around the Moto one (other than the raw MP count) - the photos were better, the camera had more features and it was a joy to use. I think however, if Moto updates the camera software, it could be as good as the HTC One/Galaxy S4.
    I'm thinking about getting either the T-Mo HTC One or ATT Moto X. Would you mind expanding on why you thought the One had awful ergonomics? I couldn't put my finger on it, but I got the same feeling when I was using it in the store. I thought of all the dents/scratches it would get from being flipped on a desk or dropped. The button placement seems odd and unintuitive as well. I noticed a few other things, but just was wondering your opinion since you used it for some time.
    08-20-2013 02:14 PM
    I'm thinking about getting either the T-Mo HTC One or ATT Moto X. Would you mind expanding on why you thought the One had awful ergonomics? I couldn't put my finger on it, but I got the same feeling when I was using it in the store. I thought of all the dents/scratches it would get from being flipped on a desk or dropped. The button placement seems odd and unintuitive as well. I noticed a few other things, but just was wondering your opinion since you used it for some time.
    The power button placement on the HTC One bugged me to no end. Unlike the Galaxy S4, which has a physical Home button to turn the phone, the HTC One didn't and you were forced to use the power button to turn on the phone. And the power button wasn't really within reach - you had to move the phone in your hand to get to it and given the slippery nature of the metal, I was always concerned that I would drop it. I also found the volume buttons difficult to press - they were almost flush with the side and a pain to use. The phone was great to look at, but ergonomically, a pain to use.

The Moto X, however, is a pleasure to use. All the buttons are within reach one handed. And the Active Display means that, when you pick up the phone, it displays the time and allows you to unlock without using the power button. It's almost as good as the BB Z10 swipe up to unlock!
    Paisley, Premium1 and rion_j like this.
    08-20-2013 02:50 PM
171 123 ...