It might have or might not have been asked or discussed before so I apologize if I'm asking about something that someone has already asked about. Regarding the Moto Maker customization, is it only available to AT&T customers? Or can one customize the device and pay outright for it? I'd like to purchase one for use on Metro PCS which supports AT&T's 3G/4G network in my area. I've read into many articles regarding the Moto X release on AT&T but I haven't really read anything pointing to whether availability is limited to AT&T customers. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    08-19-2013 08:02 PM
    It might have or might not have been asked or discussed before so I apologize if I'm asking about something that someone has already asked about. Regarding the Moto Maker customization, is it only available to AT&T customers? Or can one customize the device and pay outright for it? I'd like to purchase one for use on Metro PCS which supports AT&T's 3G/4G network in my area. I've read into many articles regarding the Moto X release on AT&T but I haven't really read anything pointing to whether availability is limited to AT&T customers. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Sorry my dear, only available to AT&T customers.
    08-19-2013 08:06 PM
    Actually when you pay for it on the Moto Maker checkout at full price it does not require your att info. So theoretically it should work if on the same bands.
    08-19-2013 08:38 PM
    Sorry my dear, only available to AT&T customers.
    ...exclusively for a limited time. Eventually, Moto Maker will be available to other carriers.

Sent from somewhere
    08-19-2013 08:39 PM
    So what would prevent you from buying it and then putting a non-AT&T SIM card in it?
    08-19-2013 08:56 PM
    Nothing that I could tell. Didn't verify my ATT account.
    08-19-2013 09:11 PM
    What do you mean it supports 3G/4G from AT&T? Are you in a revamped T-Mobile zone? If so then you would need to unlock the phone. Plus it might be sketchy 3G service since they seemed to have dropped revamping their network once the iPhone came to them.

But yes you can pay $580 and buy it out right from AT&T.

So what would prevent you from buying it and then putting a non-AT&T SIM card in it?
    The phone is locked to AT&T's network. To use it with a different SIM card you would need to get it unlocked.
    08-19-2013 09:38 PM
    are we certain that on the 23rd, the AT&T Moto Maker will allow you customize and then purchase the phone out-right?
    08-19-2013 10:21 PM
    are we certain that on the 23rd, the AT&T Moto Maker will allow you customize and then purchase the phone out-right?
    I don't see why not. Otherwise they are limiting the phone to just att customers with an upgrade available.
    08-20-2013 06:37 AM
    I bought mine off contract yesterday off the Moto Maker site but they didn't verify my ATT account.
    08-20-2013 06:59 AM
    How much was it off contract?
    08-20-2013 07:13 AM
    How much was it off contract?
    $629.99 for the 32 subtract $50 for the 16 and they charge tax but shipping is free
    08-20-2013 08:02 AM
    $629.99 for the 32 subtract $50 for the 16 and they charge tax but shipping is free
    and did you get a free Moto Skip?

- - - Updated - - -

I bought mine off contract yesterday off the Moto Maker site but they didn't verify my ATT account.
    that's a bit confusing way to put it
    08-20-2013 08:09 AM
    and did you get a free Moto Skip?

- - - Updated - - -

that's a bit confusing way to put it
    No mention of the Skip during the whole process as far as the second answer I assume it's locked to AT&T but maybe it comes unlocked like the Verizon IPhone 5.
    08-20-2013 08:51 AM
    No mention of the Skip during the whole process as far as the second answer I assume it's locked to AT&T but maybe it comes unlocked like the Verizon IPhone 5.
    hmm, it will be interesting to see if the Skip just shows up with it. And no you are correct, it's definitely locked to AT&T. i wanted to buy the phone outright from Moto Maker and then bring it to AT&T for a no-contract plan. thanks for your input!
    08-20-2013 09:27 AM
    hmm, it will be interesting to see if the Skip just shows up with it. And no you are correct, it's definitely locked to AT&T. i wanted to buy the phone outright from Moto Maker and then bring it to AT&T for a no-contract plan. thanks for your input!
    Unboxing of a moto maker on ebay didn't show any skip.
    08-20-2013 09:32 AM
    That works without unlock. As long as its AT&T towers it'll be an AT&T SIM card. If you want to use T-Mo like the OP seems to want.....You'd need it unlocked.

Unboxing of a moto maker on ebay didn't show any skip.
    Do you mean Youtube? This one got the Skip........................

Paisley and Dezolis like this.
    08-20-2013 11:09 AM
    Nothing as long as it uses AT&T's network, I assume. I'm willing to bet a NET10 sim for AT&T network would work in that phone.
    08-20-2013 12:11 PM
    What do you mean it supports 3G/4G from AT&T? Are you in a revamped T-Mobile zone? If so then you would need to unlock the phone. Plus it might be sketchy 3G service since they seemed to have dropped revamping their network once the iPhone came to them.

The phone is locked to AT&T's network. To use it with a different SIM card you would need to get it unlocked.
    No, Metro PCS in my area is serving up 4G sim cards and selling them with their newer GSM devices, all of which support both Metro/T-Mobile 4G but unlocked AT&T phones are recommended when you BYOD because it guarantees you'll have access to 3G/4G since the LTE served in my area is based on the old regional network which is being refarmed. So yes I know I'd have to unlock it. But today's news answers my question.

Off-contract AT&T Moto X now available through Moto Maker | Android Central
    08-27-2013 05:19 PM