08-25-2013 08:46 AM
41 12
tools
    but don't for a second think that there's not rich Googliness rubbed all over that business segment.
    Oh, I agree with you. But I have to say this made me giggle with Googliness. LOL
    08-21-2013 11:17 AM
    Just hold on for a month or two then jump on the Nexus 5. If Moto produces the Nexus 5 then Moto X will truly be mid range in all aspects, from camera to battery to software updates to screen...........
    08-21-2013 11:21 AM
    I don't think that necessarily lines up with the reports that they have a $500 million marketing budget for the phone
    Motorola Cheaps Out With Moto X

Samsung last year spent 4 billion on advertising and 5.3 billion on sales promotion. About 11 billion through all of its promotions and ads. Compare that to the 500 million that Moto will be spending and you'll see why you see Samsung everywhere.

If Moto is only spending 500 million like its reported.....they need to spend it properly.
    08-21-2013 11:58 AM
    What good would it do to advertise now? The tech nerds are already foaming at the mouth. There's been a ton of (free) press on all the tech sites. All advertising would do now is stir up the masses who don't plan two days in advance much less two weeks or two months. And since Moto doesn't have the billions that Apple and Samsung have, they have to spend their money (even if it is $500 billion) wisely. So why not wait until it is out and then push it. And, as you agreeably point out, in a "don't overwhelm the capability to deliver" way. After all, until now, Moto's (Droid) devices have been limited to a single carrier and never more than that. Can you imagine the huge black eye they would get if so many people were hyped for the phone but couldn't get it? Something tells me the public wouldn't be nearly as forgiving of Moto as they have been with Apple delays/backorders.
    I largely agree with this, as you can see from my post. There is market prep work that I think could be done (ie. the original print ads that say something is coming), but it is so hard to second guess a strategy when you don't have all the data. My intent was more to analyze what they are doing and make guesses about what is going on inside base on what we see out here.
    08-21-2013 01:13 PM

Samsung last year spent 4 billion on advertising and 5.3 billion on sales promotion. About 11 billion through all of its promotions and ads. Compare that to the 500 million that Moto will be spending and you'll see why you see Samsung everywhere.

If Moto is only spending 500 million like its reported.....they need to spend it properly.
    This is interesting perspective, but may be misleading. Samsung spent $4B last year on how many brands? Apple spent $1B on how many brands?

Moto has stated a $500 M BME (brand marketing expense) for the X alone. I would guess the Samsung budget was spread across the Note and the S4 at a minimum, but it may include their the consumer electronics and TVs. That is not at all clear from the link you provided. Apple's number is not an iPhone expense, but and Apple expense, and they spend a lot on the iPods (TV is very expensive).

Also are the Samsung and Apple numbers world wide? If they are, then the comparison breaks down further, because the Moto X is not going to be a global brand.

All this is to say, it is not clear from this data how competitive $500M is to other brands. I still think it is a pretty robust investment that will be complemented by the Droid campaigns.
    Ry and Aquila like this.
    08-21-2013 01:20 PM
    Just hold on for a month or two then jump on the Nexus 5. If Moto produces the Nexus 5 then Moto X will truly be mid range in all aspects, from camera to battery to software updates to screen...........
    The Nexus 5 isn't coming to Verizon. So what am I holding out for??

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    08-21-2013 02:55 PM
    What is this Nexus 5 you speak of?
    08-21-2013 02:56 PM
    The Nexus 5 isn't coming to Verizon. So what am I holding out for??

It is if Moto makes it....thats what your holding out for.
    08-21-2013 03:00 PM
    So I'm hoping Moto makes it and not LG?? I won't hold my breath on that one. But that would be cool if Moto makes the next Nexus. I just hope VZ doesn't take a huge dump on it like the GNex.

08-21-2013 03:05 PM
    Doubt it.
    08-21-2013 03:06 PM
    I just hope VZ doesn't take a huge dump on it like the GNex.
    Verizon would eat a metric ton of Ex-lax in order to take a dump on another Nexus. Hence...not another Nexus for Verizon, which is a major bummer.
    08-21-2013 05:48 PM
    Verizon would eat a metric ton of Ex-lax in order to take a dump on another Nexus. Hence...not another Nexus for Verizon, which is a major bummer.
    So the next best thing in my eyes is the Moto X. Close to stock. Great hardware. Hoping for timely updates.

jephanie and JoseGui like this.
    08-21-2013 06:13 PM
    As long as everything is ramped up by the holiday shopping season Moto X will be fine...
    08-21-2013 07:47 PM
    So the next best thing in my eyes is the Moto X. Close to stock. Great hardware. Hoping for timely updates.

I'm in the same boat as you.
    08-21-2013 07:54 PM

No. Just, no. Samsung spent roughly $400 million on marketing for its mobile division. Apple spent a little less at a little over $300 million. The numbers that article throws around (totally misleadingly, I might add) are for the marketing budgets for those entire companies. Samsung makes everything from phones to refrigerators, so that number reflects all of their marketing efforts. Apple's includes marketing for all of apples products.

Put in perspective, Motorola's investment is right where it should be.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Aquila, Ry, SteelGator and 1 others like this.
    08-25-2013 12:14 AM
    No. Just, no. Samsung spent roughly $400 million on marketing for its mobile division. Apple spent a little less at a little over $300 million. The numbers that article throws around (totally misleadingly, I might add) are for the marketing budgets for those entire companies. Samsung makes everything from phones to refrigerators, so that number reflects all of their marketing efforts. Apple's includes marketing for all of apples products.

Put in perspective, Motorola's investment is right where it should be.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for looking that up. I was too lazy, but I commented earlier that I believed that to be the case.$500 M advertising for a single brand is a very large amount.
    08-25-2013 08:46 AM
41 12