09-08-2014 03:00 PM
686 ... 1920212223 ...
tools
    Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-dsc_0369.jpg

This is the best pic I could get. As you can see there is a top layer because you can run your finger across that spot and not feel anything.
    01-31-2014 07:19 PM
    This is the best pic I could get. As you can see there is a top layer because you can run your finger across that spot and not feel anything.
    yeah, it looks like exactly what you are saying - there is a wood layer that is split and you can see the whitish plastic peeking through. But the wood layer is covered in a coating so the back feels smooth to the touch.

I think whatever the coating is probably stabilizes the wood enough so that they can punch those tiny holes in the back for the speaker.
    radyoactive likes this.
    01-31-2014 07:23 PM
    Taken with a different camera.

Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-img_1422.jpg
    01-31-2014 07:25 PM
    Curious if the mark just under the speaker holes on these pics are the same thing. I saw it earlier today and it caught my eye.

You don't notice it in regular lighting in the home. It immediately caught my eye when I picked it up off my desk at the office.

Ordered mine on Tuesday to replace my Razr Maxx. Was very surprised to receive it in 2 days.
    I love the wood grain and very cool to personalize with your name.

Attachment 102819

Attachment 102820
    01-31-2014 07:27 PM
    yeah, it looks like exactly what you are saying - there is a wood layer that is split and you can see the whitish plastic peeking through. But the wood layer is covered in a coating so the back feels smooth to the touch.

I think whatever the coating is probably stabilizes the wood enough so that they can punch those tiny holes in the back for the speaker.
    The coating you're referring to is the nano-coating over the entire phone applied to it to make it water resistant. It has nothing to do with being able to make the speaker holes.
    01-31-2014 07:31 PM
    Curious if the mark just under the speaker holes on these pics are the same thing. I saw it earlier today and it caught my eye.
    That is exactly what it looks like to me.
    01-31-2014 07:32 PM
    The coating you're referring to is the nano-coating over the entire phone applied to it to make it water resistant. It has nothing to do with being able to make the speaker holes.
    Can this be scuffed off? I am debating whether or not to put some sort of shield on the back to protect it from scuffs.
    01-31-2014 07:36 PM
    If it's nano coating then it feels a lot different than the Ultra and Maxx. Plus a coating wouldn't go over the tear. There seems to definitely be some top layer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    01-31-2014 07:57 PM
    If it's nano coating then it feels a lot different than the Ultra and Maxx. Plus a coating wouldn't go over the tear. There seems to definitely be some top layer.
    I really can't tell what you've got there. All I see is a little gray scuff on the back of your phone... The only coating I know to be on the back of that phone is the nano-coating and whatever stain and sealant they applied to the wood finish. From what I've read, the speaker holes are laser cut.
    01-31-2014 08:18 PM
    I'm not here to bash the phone, just want to point out what I see to everyone, which is not a "scuff". I've owned almost every Motorola android phone on Verizon, 3 Ultras, a Maxx, and this is probably my 5th or 6th X. I am a huge fan of Motorola especially the new phones and their X8 chip/computing system.

I love the way the phone looks, just a bit disappointed.

I really can't tell what you've got there. All I see is a little gray scuff on the back of your phone... The only coating I know to be on the back of that phone is the nano-coating and whatever stain and sealant they applied to the wood finish. From what I've read, the speaker holes are laser cut.
    01-31-2014 08:33 PM
    I love the way the phone looks, just a bit disappointed.
    send it back. Mine doesn't have any splits in the wood so they can make them right.
    01-31-2014 09:01 PM
    I already have a return authorization and label and ordered a new one today. I'll use this until the new one gets here.

I think the phone looks great and at this price, can't be beat as I hold onto my unlimited plan.

01-31-2014 09:05 PM

You don't notice it in regular lighting in the home. It immediately caught my eye when I picked it up off my desk at the office.
    After seeing this as a problem I inspected mine more closely. I was not happy to find out I have that same white spot issue along with a more annoying one. There seems to be about a dozen dimples in the finish. It almost looks like however they are applying the finish it looks like it is not adhering to the composite.
    I found on another forum some are having the same issue as me.
    Here are a few pics to show the dimples.

Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-img_20140131_232405_603.jpg
    Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-img_20140131_232527_573.jpg
    Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-img_20140131_232540_027.jpg
    01-31-2014 10:41 PM
    After seeing this as a problem I inspected mine more closely. I was not happy to find out I have that same white spot issue along with a more annoying one. There seems to be about a dozen dimples in the finish.
    I would send that back for the dimples alone. Mine doesn't have dimples or splits so that shows that they can make them right at least some of the time.

I think this is a new process that they have yet to perfect. They need to get these returns so they can perfect their manufacturing techniques and QA.
    01-31-2014 10:50 PM
    I think the dimples are a natural part of the wood. However, the scuff/abrasion are not. I ended up returning my first ebony back for another after I had a visible scuff mark and "fade" on the right side of the back. Initially, it didn't bother me, but eventually it did so I sent it back. My second ebony Moto X is awesome and no problems.
    02-01-2014 12:18 AM
    I think the dimples are a natural part of the wood. However, the scuff/abrasion are not. I ended up returning my first ebony back for another after I had a visible scuff mark and "fade" on the right side of the back. Initially, it didn't bother me, but eventually it did so I sent it back. My second ebony Moto X is awesome and no problems.
    Did your second ebony Moto X have dimples?
    02-01-2014 10:15 AM
    Hey guys. Got my walnut back today. The phone feels solid and looks amazing. Much better than the pictures.
    I do have a few very tiny irregularities with the smoothness of the back on the top left. They aren't bumps, but more like small depressions and they're almost impossible to see in pictures but I tried capturing it.
    I'm not sure if this kind of thing is expected with wood and just adds character, or if I should replace it. Honestly, you can only see them if you hold the phone up to a light at an angle and can only feel them if you run your fingertip over that part. Its very minor and doesn't bother me too much, but then again it isn't perfectly smooth like the rest of the back.

Here's 3 more pictures in better light that show the problem.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    jephanie likes this.
    02-01-2014 03:35 PM
    They aren't bumps, but more like small depressions and they're almost impossible to see in pictures but I tried capturing it.

Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-nenany4e.jpg
    That is the dimpling that some of the ebony backs have. Yours is walnut, though. Mine is walnut, too and I don't have any dimpling that I can see. I will try taking more pics. If mine doesn't have it, I would say it is an imperfection.

The pattern on your walnut finish is perfect, though.
    tatltael likes this.
    02-01-2014 03:59 PM
    Had the same thing with an ebony back and sent it back. There were about 10 or so dimples all over the back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tatltael likes this.
    02-01-2014 04:00 PM

I think that there might be some type of clear epoxy to help strengthen the backs. That is what it looks like to me. Like mentioned earlier, I didn't see any in mine till I went out in the sunlight. After I saw it for myself that is what I would venture to say it is. Thankfully I only have a few very small portions of the back like that.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    02-01-2014 05:35 PM
    That is the dimpling that some of the ebony backs have. Yours is walnut, though. Mine is walnut, too and I don't have any dimpling that I can see. I will try taking more pics. If mine doesn't have it, I would say it is an imperfection.

The pattern on your walnut finish is perfect, though.
    Yea I love the pattern of the grain on my phone. That's why I'm debating sending it back. Don't really know what I'm gonna do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    02-01-2014 06:08 PM
    I like the pattern on mine too. I will compare it to the replacement and keep the one I like more.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    tatltael likes this.
    02-01-2014 06:58 PM
    That's brilliant! I don't know why I didn't think of that. Guess I'll ask for the replacement then
    02-01-2014 07:04 PM
    Did your second ebony Moto X have dimples?
    On close inspection, no. However the dimples wouldn't bother me if it did; I think it may be a part of the wood. Natural things aren't perfect anyway. But it was the abrasion that bothered me. My new ebony Moto X is great.
    dmark44 and tatltael like this.
    02-01-2014 07:44 PM
    Anyone make a dark wood back with red accents? I Know I want red and wood on it, but I'm not sure since the buttons look different IRL than on the website.
    I just bought one will let you know what it looks like when it ships

Posted via Android Central App
    radyoactive likes this.
    02-02-2014 12:03 PM
686 ... 1920212223 ...