09-08-2014 04:00 PM
686 ... 2021222324 ...
tools
    Ordered my Moto X on Thu...received it on Sat! Damn!

Anyway...all of my Star Wars friends smiled when I unveiled "Slave-1" to 'em...

Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-slave1arrived.jpg
    02-03-2014 05:32 PM
    Got my Walnut with Red accents today! I love the look of it.
    Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-img_20140204_210542922.jpg
    But to add to the drama of the screwed up wood backs...
    Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-img_20140204_210620140_hdr.jpg

I got a dimple RIGHT on the edge. I have a few in the middle which is no big deal, but of all spots I have to have one there! I guess it's safe to say this one is going back. But atleast I know the combination looks great!
    02-04-2014 09:12 PM
    I have been going through hoops to get mine replaced. I have owned Motorola phones for 20 years and not happy with the customer service.
    02-04-2014 09:57 PM
    I have been going through hoops to get mine replaced. I have owned Motorola phones for 20 years and not happy with the customer service.
    why didn't you just order another and return the first?
    02-04-2014 10:23 PM
    But to add to the drama of the screwed up wood backs...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140204_210620140_HDR.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	103430

I got a dimple RIGHT on the edge. I have a few in the middle which is no big deal, but of all spots I have to have one there! I guess it's safe to say this one is going back. But atleast I know the combination looks great!
    I wouldn't call that a dimple; that is poor workmanship - send it back!
    sparkygal likes this.
    02-04-2014 10:24 PM
    Well here was the reply to my email:
    "Currently we don't have codes that can be used to purchase wood backs. The only option you have if you want a wood back again is to do a return for credit then re-purchasing the phone directly through our website. Is this something you would want to do? "

Now will I end up spending more in the end? I should find out soon. Hopefully this isn't going to be a headache. Moto Support has usually been very good to me over the past years, so I'm going into this positively.

EDIT: "We actually don't have any codes that take wood backs. I apologize and we can offer you $20 coupon for accessories in return for the difference in money if that would be ok with you" ...UGH...
    02-04-2014 10:32 PM
    I got my replacement today and this one has no scratches or dimples so they are capable of making them properly. Regarding HDEBO's problem, when I called, I told them I used a coupon and they said they would give me a full refund plus escalate the extra cost of not having a code. We'll see how true that is but I'm sending my old one back tomorrow and it will be a few weeks before I see the credit and can start bugging them for the extra credit. I have a feeling i'll get screwed and end up with $30 worth of stuff I won't use but for now, I'm happy with the new phone. I'll worry about the next thing when the time comes.

Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-img_1429.jpg
    02-04-2014 11:08 PM
    The issue I am having is I got mine with a Verizon upgrade so the cost of the phone was 129.99 with 39gb and wood back. I was told I could pay for new one full price then get refund when they receive the damaged one. The kicker is they want to refund the 129.99 not the full price. I went back and forth with them for almost an hour on this issue. Seems like double dipping to me.
    02-05-2014 06:44 AM
    The issue I am having is I got mine with a Verizon upgrade so the cost of the phone was 129.99 with 39gb and wood back. I was told I could pay for new one full price then get refund when they receive the damaged one. The kicker is they want to refund the 129.99 not the full price. I went back and forth with them for almost an hour on this issue. Seems like double dipping to me.
    No, you cannot do it that way. You have to send the defective one back and get your upgrade restored before you can buy a new one using an upgrade.

If you have already purchased a new one at full price, return it as well. Then once your upgrade is restored, buy another using the upgrade.
    02-05-2014 09:19 AM
    What a horrible process. They should just enter a replacement order at no charge and if you do not send back the other phone they bill you full price.
    sparkygal likes this.
    02-05-2014 09:47 AM
    What a horrible process. They should just enter a replacement order at no charge and if you do not send back the other phone they bill you full price.
    Ideally, yes, but when you use an upgrade the problem is the commissions for the 2 year contracts.

I am pretty sure if you bought from Amazon, the same thing would happen - your only option would be to return and wait for the upgrade to be restored - Amazon won't do an exchange for a defective phone, only a return and then you have to wait for the upgrade to be restored. It is because once you return the original phone purchased with an upgrade, they lose their commission. And they don't get a commission for the second phone they send you. So if they did it your way, they would be selling you a phone at the subsidized price, and the seller is providing the subsidy, but not getting a commission for it. The commission reimburses the seller for the subsidy.

I am not sure that any 3rd party retailer will do it as you proposed for a defective phone purchased with an upgrade.
    02-05-2014 10:01 AM
    Here is a pic of a brand new just out of the box walnut back (right) side-by-side with a walnut back I have had for over a week now (left).

You can see how the wood grain loses that hazy, blurred look over time. I think it is the nano coating that causes the wood to look like that at first. Out of the box the wood looks like it has a matte coating. Over time I think the oils from my fingers have been absorbed and the coating is not as matte looking; its more shiny.

The color looks richer over time, too. The color of the older back (left) looks more red in the picture than it does IRL. It's more brown IRL, not so red.
    Attached Thumbnails Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-wood-backs-side-side.jpg  
    TBolt likes this.
    02-07-2014 10:39 AM
    Here is a pic of a brand new just out of the box walnut back (right) side-by-side with a walnut back I have had for over a week now (left).

You can see how the wood grain loses that hazy, blurred look over time. I think it is the nano coating that causes the wood to look like that at first. Out of the box the wood looks like it has a matte coating. Over time I think the oils from my fingers have been absorbed and the coating is not as matte looking; its more shiny.

The color looks richer over time, too. The color of the older back (left) looks more red in the picture than it does IRL. It's more brown IRL, not so red.
    I'm thinking of getting a wood back and passing my white Moto X to my dad.

Any insight on how it feels, like slick or rough?

Just curious

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    02-07-2014 10:58 AM
    It's a smooth papery feel. I would say the bamboo one is better, which is smoother, but more real(?). I'm happy with it though since I much prefer the black side trim over white. If you don't mind white trim, I recommend bamboo.
    Attached Thumbnails Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-img_20140207_111917.jpg   Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-img_20140207_111721.jpg   Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-img_20140207_111659.jpg  
    02-07-2014 11:35 AM
    Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-jlb72wc.jpg

Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-iv2xqae.jpg

Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!-kaslvbd.jpg

got mine yesterday. love it. (coming from a nexus 5)

i do have a question - my front screen has a few faint scratches on it. is the front not scratch-free? or maybe it happened during the manufacturing process? you can't really see it unless it's in direct light but it's a bit of a bother especially since i just got it. any feedback appreciated. thanks!
    02-07-2014 11:38 AM
    Any insight on how it feels, like slick or rough?
    Feels the same to me as the woven white back on my Dev Ed (smooth touch). I think there is a nano coating on them and so what you feel is the coating. No more, no less slippery than the white woven back.

Now the black woven back that I had, which was soft touch not smooth touch, that felt grippier.

There is a thread about this exact issue here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ood-backs.html
    02-07-2014 11:49 AM
    i do have a question - my front screen has a few faint scratches on it. is the front not scratch-free? or maybe it happened during the manufacturing process? you can't really see it unless it's in direct light but it's a bit of a bother especially since i just got it. any feedback appreciated. thanks!
    It's Gorilla Glass so it shouldn't scratch easily. You could ask for an RMA if you don't mind waiting for a refund. You'll have to see if they can give you that $30 discount if you used it, you might be out of luck on that.
    02-07-2014 11:50 AM
    It shouldn't have any scratches on it out of the box.

The glass is made of Gorilla Glass I believe, which is scratch resistant, but not scratch proof. Sand in your pocket will scratch it. The crazy thing is that dropping it is less likely to scratch it than sand in your pocket is.
    02-07-2014 11:52 AM
    Welp my wood back that has the bump on the edge is now starting to wear HARD

But good news is that Moto is going to take the return and give me a code to make a new Wood-backed X at the same price I bought it for. So atleast I won't lose out on my $30 off.
    02-07-2014 04:01 PM
    So atleast I won't lose out on my $30 off.
    That's great news!
    02-07-2014 04:26 PM
    Welp my wood back that has the bump on the edge is now starting to wear HARD[/url]

But good news is that Moto is going to take the return and give me a code to make a new Wood-backed X at the same price I bought it for. So atleast I won't lose out on my $30 off.
    Let me know if you received the new code. I never got mine, called them up, they said they sent it again and it never came.

sent via my Le Motonovo X
    02-07-2014 04:41 PM
    here is my phone in ebony and red accents.
    jephanie likes this.
    02-08-2014 11:00 AM
    02-08-2014 11:19 AM
    here is my phone in ebony and red accents.
    Gorgeous! I think it is the nano coating that gives the back that feel.
    02-08-2014 12:08 PM
    The pattern on your walnut back is awesome!
    02-08-2014 12:09 PM
686 ... 2021222324 ...