Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!

tatltael

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Share your Moto X Moto Maker design here!

That is the dimpling that some of the ebony backs have. Yours is walnut, though. Mine is walnut, too and I don't have any dimpling that I can see. I will try taking more pics. If mine doesn't have it, I would say it is an imperfection.

The pattern on your walnut finish is perfect, though.

Yea I love the pattern of the grain on my phone. That's why I'm debating sending it back. Don't really know what I'm gonna do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I like the pattern on mine too. I will compare it to the replacement and keep the one I like more.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

tatltael

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

That's brilliant! I don't know why I didn't think of that. Guess I'll ask for the replacement then :D

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

Did your second ebony Moto X have dimples?

On close inspection, no. However the dimples wouldn't bother me if it did; I think it may be a part of the wood. Natural things aren't perfect anyway. But it was the abrasion that bothered me. My new ebony Moto X is great.

dkny2kx

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Anyone make a dark wood back with red accents? I Know I want red and wood on it, but I'm not sure since the buttons look different IRL than on the website.

I just bought one will let you know what it looks like when it ships

Posted via Android Central App

jayds74

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Ordered my Moto X on Thu...received it on Sat! Damn!

Anyway...all of my Star Wars friends smiled when I unveiled "Slave-1" to 'em... :)

Slave1Arrived.jpg

trainplane3

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

Got my Walnut with Red accents today! I love the look of it.
IMG_20140204_210542922.jpg
But to add to the drama of the screwed up wood backs...
IMG_20140204_210620140_HDR.jpg

I got a dimple RIGHT on the edge. I have a few in the middle which is no big deal, but of all spots I have to have one there! I guess it's safe to say this one is going back. But atleast I know the combination looks great!

hdebo

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

I have been going through hoops to get mine replaced. I have owned Motorola phones for 20 years and not happy with the customer service.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

But to add to the drama of the screwed up wood backs...
View attachment 103430

I got a dimple RIGHT on the edge. I have a few in the middle which is no big deal, but of all spots I have to have one there! I guess it's safe to say this one is going back. But atleast I know the combination looks great!
I wouldn't call that a dimple; that is poor workmanship - send it back!

trainplane3

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

I have been going through hoops to get mine replaced. I have owned Motorola phones for 20 years and not happy with the customer service.

Well here was the reply to my email:
"Currently we don't have codes that can be used to purchase wood backs. The only option you have if you want a wood back again is to do a return for credit then re-purchasing the phone directly through our website. Is this something you would want to do? "

Now will I end up spending more in the end? I should find out soon. Hopefully this isn't going to be a headache. Moto Support has usually been very good to me over the past years, so I'm going into this positively.

EDIT: "We actually don't have any codes that take wood backs. I apologize and we can offer you $20 coupon for accessories in return for the difference in money if that would be ok with you" ...UGH...

Last edited:

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I got my replacement today and this one has no scratches or dimples so they are capable of making them properly. Regarding HDEBO's problem, when I called, I told them I used a coupon and they said they would give me a full refund plus escalate the extra cost of not having a code. We'll see how true that is but I'm sending my old one back tomorrow and it will be a few weeks before I see the credit and can start bugging them for the extra credit. I have a feeling i'll get screwed and end up with $30 worth of stuff I won't use but for now, I'm happy with the new phone. I'll worry about the next thing when the time comes.

IMG_1429.JPG

hdebo

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

The issue I am having is I got mine with a Verizon upgrade so the cost of the phone was 129.99 with 39gb and wood back. I was told I could pay for new one full price then get refund when they receive the damaged one. The kicker is they want to refund the 129.99 not the full price. I went back and forth with them for almost an hour on this issue. Seems like double dipping to me.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

The issue I am having is I got mine with a Verizon upgrade so the cost of the phone was 129.99 with 39gb and wood back. I was told I could pay for new one full price then get refund when they receive the damaged one. The kicker is they want to refund the 129.99 not the full price. I went back and forth with them for almost an hour on this issue. Seems like double dipping to me.

No, you cannot do it that way. You have to send the defective one back and get your upgrade restored before you can buy a new one using an upgrade.

If you have already purchased a new one at full price, return it as well. Then once your upgrade is restored, buy another using the upgrade.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

What a horrible process. They should just enter a replacement order at no charge and if you do not send back the other phone they bill you full price.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

What a horrible process. They should just enter a replacement order at no charge and if you do not send back the other phone they bill you full price.
Ideally, yes, but when you use an upgrade the problem is the commissions for the 2 year contracts.

I am pretty sure if you bought from Amazon, the same thing would happen - your only option would be to return and wait for the upgrade to be restored - Amazon won't do an exchange for a defective phone, only a return and then you have to wait for the upgrade to be restored. It is because once you return the original phone purchased with an upgrade, they lose their commission. And they don't get a commission for the second phone they send you. So if they did it your way, they would be selling you a phone at the subsidized price, and the seller is providing the subsidy, but not getting a commission for it. The commission reimburses the seller for the subsidy.

I am not sure that any 3rd party retailer will do it as you proposed for a defective phone purchased with an upgrade.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Here is a pic of a brand new just out of the box walnut back (right) side-by-side with a walnut back I have had for over a week now (left).

You can see how the wood grain loses that hazy, blurred look over time. I think it is the nano coating that causes the wood to look like that at first. Out of the box the wood looks like it has a matte coating. Over time I think the oils from my fingers have been absorbed and the coating is not as matte looking; its more shiny.

The color looks richer over time, too. The color of the older back (left) looks more red in the picture than it does IRL. It's more brown IRL, not so red.

Attachments

• Wood backs side by side.jpg
    Wood backs side by side.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 71

msnider23

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Here is a pic of a brand new just out of the box walnut back (right) side-by-side with a walnut back I have had for over a week now (left).

You can see how the wood grain loses that hazy, blurred look over time. I think it is the nano coating that causes the wood to look like that at first. Out of the box the wood looks like it has a matte coating. Over time I think the oils from my fingers have been absorbed and the coating is not as matte looking; its more shiny.

The color looks richer over time, too. The color of the older back (left) looks more red in the picture than it does IRL. It's more brown IRL, not so red.

I'm thinking of getting a wood back and passing my white Moto X to my dad.

Any insight on how it feels, like slick or rough?

Just curious

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

It's a smooth papery feel. I would say the bamboo one is better, which is smoother, but more real(?). I'm happy with it though since I much prefer the black side trim over white. If you don't mind white trim, I recommend bamboo.

Attachments

• IMG_20140207_111659.jpg
    IMG_20140207_111659.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20140207_111721.jpg
    IMG_20140207_111721.jpg
    756.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20140207_111917.jpg
    IMG_20140207_111917.jpg
    640 KB · Views: 69

jeromenumbers

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

JlB72Wc.jpg

iv2xqaE.jpg

kaslVbD.jpg

got mine yesterday. love it. (coming from a nexus 5)

i do have a question - my front screen has a few faint scratches on it. is the front not scratch-free? or maybe it happened during the manufacturing process? you can't really see it unless it's in direct light but it's a bit of a bother especially since i just got it. any feedback appreciated. thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34