What a botched launch this is turning out to be!

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Given how shaky the launch has been (redacted promises on custom engraving and shipping times), I think it's fair to assume the risks of engaging in a full-scale launch across all carriers far outweighed the benefits of maybe selling a few more phones.

My guess is they're going to get the Moto Maker kinks hammered out in the next couple of months, then really lay on the gas pedal going into the holidays.
Idk... Right now I am seriously mad at motorola and AT&T for the bad customer service, problems with my AT&T account, wasted time, inexperienced staff that knows little about the moto x, and a whole list of other things. Read my other thread for details. Right now I am not sure if I want this phone. I hope they read the letter I wrote to motorola and do something because right now it has been a botched launch.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Idk... Right now I am seriously mad at motorola and AT&T for the bad customer service, problems with my AT&T account, wasted time, inexperienced staff that knows little about the moto x, and a whole list of other things. Read my other thread for details. Right now I am not sure if I want this phone. I hope they read the letter I wrote to motorola and do something because right now it has been a botched launch.

Considering that it just launched on Verizon, and just on the web, there hasn't been much of a launch to botch. IIRC, you yourself said you had a special account, which is always a major headache. (I had one, before I left att) You also can't blame Motorola for att not training their staff. Also, were you at corporate or third party stores.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Considering that it just launched on Verizon, and just on the web, there hasn't been much of a launch to botch. IIRC, you yourself said you had a special account, which is always a major headache. (I had one, before I left att) You also can't blame Motorola for att not training their staff. Also, were you at corporate or third party stores.

Corporate stores and even though AT&T was at fault it reflects on motorola because its their product. They could had fixed the problem when I talked to the motorola manager on Tuesday. However they insisted on AT&T's incompetence without a solid resolution. If you like, I can post what motorola said.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
My guess is they're going to get the Moto Maker kinks hammered out in the next couple of months, then really lay on the gas pedal going into the holidays.

+1 Larry. Those workers @ Texas factory will see some OT and FAT paychecks come Dec/Jan 2014. Help pay down their Christmas bills.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Well this launch is very hit or miss depending on what store you go to. I was in NYC today and decided to go into one of the busy Att stores I passed by. That store did have the X on display. That said the sales person took a moment to figure out where it was in the store. Wasn't really his fault though, the phone was just there on the wall. Nothing special about it just there with the rest. No kiosk, no display of options, nada, zilch.

I'll run by the big store in gsp in Paramus tomorrow. Hopefully they will have their stuff together. At the moment I kinda doubt that.

If this launch does go as bad as some are saying it just shows that Google isn't putting it's backing into this. Take for example how Att did the L920 launch or the 1020. Advertising all over, staff pushing hard on them. That's what happens when you have the developer pushing it like Microsoft did for Nokia. Compare that to Google that actually owns Motorola. It's crickets by example.

The next few weeks are going to be interesting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Yes, this launch is VERY hit and miss. While people are shopping and buying their MotoX's, my local AT&T store doesn't even have a display or any for sale. This is a huge corporate store in a major shopping mall, not some small hole in the wall. And they don't have any. At the end of August. And won't have any until next week sometime after Labor Day. So yeah, this is kind of a botched launch. Support all the carriers? LOL, so far they can't even support ONE fully.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Corporate stores and even though AT&T was at fault it reflects on motorola because its their product. They could had fixed the problem when I talked to the motorola manager on Tuesday. However they insisted on AT&T's incompetence without a solid resolution. If you like, I can post what motorola said.

Motorola cannot control att. That isn't how this works.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes, this launch is VERY hit and miss. While people are shopping and buying their MotoX's, my local AT&T store doesn't even have a display or any for sale. This is a huge corporate store in a major shopping mall, not some small hole in the wall. And they don't have any. At the end of August. And won't have any until next week sometime after Labor Day. So yeah, this is kind of a botched launch. Support all the carriers? LOL, so far they can't even support ONE fully.

I do have to say though... The the Corporate AT&T stores I've been to in the Dallas-Fort Worth area all have good displays and fairly knowledgeable staff... I guess that may be because the AT&T HQ is here as well.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Motorola cannot control att. That isn't how this works.

Yes, but they can control how the redemption works, and one of the key problems with my case was the redemption. I even had an AT&T employee admit that there was a glitch on motorolas system of the three code scanning. Plus, I turned to motorola and they did nothing to help. It's their product i tried to purchase they should have had more support. Don't get me wrong, I want this phone badly, but is it worth this hassle? I have done everything possible. I am not trying to knock what motorola is trying to accomplish i just want them to know what happened so that they can be more thorough towards the other launches.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but they can control how the redemption works, and one of the key problems with my case was the redemption. I even had an AT&T employee admit that there was a glitch on motorolas system of the three code scanning. Plus, I turned to motorola and they did nothing to help. It's their product i tried to purchase they should have had more support. Don't get me wrong, I want this phone badly, but is it worth this hassle? I have done everything possible. I am not trying to knock what motorola is trying to accomplish i just want them to know what happened so that they can be more thorough towards the other launches.

Based on your previous thread, all of your issues stemmed from att not training their reps. Att reps know nothing, so them blaming Motorola is a case of them trying to CTA. Similarly, when att doesn't follow procedure, it isn't exactly reasonable to expect Motorola to take care of you. That isn't how these things work.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Based on your previous thread, all of your issues stemmed from att not training their reps. Att reps know nothing, so them blaming Motorola is a case of them trying to CTA. Similarly, when att doesn't follow procedure, it isn't exactly reasonable to expect Motorola to take care of you. That isn't how these things work.
D
I didn't say motorola should take care of me. I am saying I am frustrated and I blame both and this launch could have ran smoother.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I didn't say motorola should take care of me. I am saying I am frustrated and I blame both and this launch could have ran smoother.

I don't understand how you can attribute to Motorola that which is the fault of AT&T.

dj ozone

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Motorola are doing a soft launch with this phone simply because they don't have enough phones manufactured to go all in right now... Out here in LA several ATT stores were sold out of Moto X... I had to go to Santa Monica to find a store that had the phone in stock...

Posted via Android Central App

jmg1975

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I think the launch is pretty weak so far. I just don't understand how Apple can announce a phone...get it in stores (carrier, Apple Stores, best buy etc)..and online...within a week of announcement...not to mention have tons of accessories and cases available...AND...have the phone available in all storage options

The Moto X should be available everywhere....now...and should have a 32 GB version right next to the 16 for customers to choose from.

It's aggravating....so I can definitely see some support for the botched launch argument here.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well thats completely wrong. So wrong I have no idea how you came up with it. First the only company not losing money on Android phones is Samsung and they won't say how much they are making. Apple makes by far the lions share of smartphone and tablet profits. iOS developer revenues are dramatically higher than Android. Accessories for iOS devices are the same.
The paten lawsuits have pretty much all been won by Apple and they are in fact still continuing. Not just by Apple but also Microsoft who makes more money per Android handset than the Android manufacturers did because Microsoft has won most of their patent lawsuits too.
You really have no idea what you are talking about. At all.
What is it with Android only users that they are so obsessed with Apple..and also know so little about it.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Google's iPhone moment? Google doesn't need an iPhone moment.. Android controls 80% of the market.. The companies making Android phone don't give a rats behind about an iPhone moment anymore because they are rolling in the money regardless of how Apple changes things up on their end..

Google isn't competing with Apple anymore. The fight is over.. Why do you think the patent lawsuits haven't been as heavy this year like they were the past two years?

And could this launch have been handled different? Eh, maybe, but I don't get paid lots of money to work for these tech companies and deal with PR and I damn well won't be a "armchair quarterback" saying how it should have been done.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Apple is the master of supply chain. Nobody else even comes close. Motorola has had huge issues with supply chain ever since they outsourced all production to China and completely lost control of supply chain and quality.

I think the launch is pretty weak so far. I just don't understand how Apple can announce a phone...get it in stores (carrier, Apple Stores, best buy etc)..and online...within a week of announcement...not to mention have tons of accessories and cases available...AND...have the phone available in all storage options

The Moto X should be available everywhere....now...and should have a 32 GB version right next to the 16 for customers to choose from.

It's aggravating....so I can definitely see some support for the botched launch argument here.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't know but maybe Verizon for once knows what they're actually doing. I ordered mine less than 24 hours ago and have it in hand. I had it activated and running in about 15 minutes. I wonder about the custom jobs because it's going to be really hard to resell one that's monogramed and a funky color. But that's just my opinion. I will most likely eBay mine and pick up a 32 gig dev when they come out.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Way up here in Flint, MI, we have a single corporate AT&T store, for the entire county. This place is small.

They have a full display, knew it well, when I wanted one, they reached for the card first, made my account, added my corporate discount, and sent me home. I ordered it that night around 2000.

I got a notice at 0400, my Moto is on the way. They quoted my 7 days, it took them 8 hours.

What is this talk of a failed launch?