Picked one up this morning...

Armada

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Well great now the specheads will find you and place a burning effigy of the X and a sign in your yard that says "Over-priced mid-range phone with last years specs." All jokes asides how does the new Moto feel? My old Droid 2 felt like it was a well made piece of tech that I haven't felt from HTC or Samsung. Are the extra features actually useful or do the reviews play them up? Also, how does it handle Chrome? This is all I care about on my next phone: battery and Chrome.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Am I correct in assuming the Developer Edition will only come with a black front and white back?

The site states it will have a look all it's own and the picture shows DEVELOPER EDITION printed on the back.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Am I correct in assuming the Developer Edition will only come with a black front and white back?

The site states it will have a look all it's own and the picture shows DEVELOPER EDITION printed on the back.

probably. and if i'm not mistaken, those are silver accent buttons. nice going google, very cute combo.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

We do not know for certain, but I think it's a safe assumption.

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Well great now the specheads will find you and place a burning effigy of the X and a sign in your yard that says "Over-priced mid-range phone with last years specs." All jokes asides how does the new Moto feel? My old Droid 2 felt like it was a well made piece of tech that I haven't felt from HTC or Samsung. Are the extra features actually useful or do the reviews play them up? Also, how does it handle Chrome? This is all I care about on my next phone: battery and Chrome.

In hand it's nice, though it's definitely a smaller phone. The screen is brighter than on the GN I came from, and it's snappy when doing the pretty boring things I do (read, light writing, browsing, taking photos, etc). Whereas some reviews said it felt a bit cheap - because of loose buttons - mine doesn't exhibit that characteristic at all. It feels like a sturdy phone.

The included Moto specific features are pretty good. Some minor niggles on my part around notifications aside, the X does notifications the best of any smartphone I've used in the past two years. I personally think the 'OK, Google Now...' is a gimmick, but others might find it useful. The text-to-browser notification is awesome (if replicable using other applications), and the automatic actions you can set the phone to during meetings/at night are well integrated.

Light sensing to autodim the display is good (at least compared to the GN and N4 I used); I haven't been in a situation yet where I haven't been able to clearly see the screen, even in sunlight. Also, the GPS lock is incredibly quick!

It's too early for me to say on battery, but it looks like I'm going a full day (i.e. 16-17 hour days) without having to charge the device. To be certain, I'm not using my phone all the time, and I'm not playing intensive games or doing a lot of video, either (just a little bit of YouTube, typically). One thing's for sure though: you're not going to go 'all day' on the Moto if you're doing particularly intensive actions on it, on a repeated or long-term basis.

cdd543

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Picked one up a little while ago. Grabbed a black one as I didn't care for the glossy white on the front of the white version. So far my impressions are good. It feels nice to hold and more comfortable than my s4ge. The glass is a terrible smudge grease magnet and clearly has less effective oleophobic coating than others. I'll be looking for an SGP oleophobic screen protector if I keep this thing.
Camera seems better than I've heard though most of my shots were in decent lighting. Only a couple calls, but they seemed fine.
Screen resolution doesn't bother me after using plenty of 1080p devices. You can see it in direct sunlight as well.
It seems buttery smooth.

Posted via Android Central App

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

This. I hope not. I want to be able to design my Dev edition for a custom color. Just doesnt make sense to force those who want Dev edition to 2 colors when part of the sale of the device is customization

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
For you guys that picked one up. I have turned off the "touch vibrate" for the phone, I dont really like haptic feedback. The phone seems to still vibrate when I type in a text message or do certain things. Are you experiencing that as well?

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
For you guys that picked one up. I have turned off the "touch vibrate" for the phone, I dont really like haptic feedback. The phone seems to still vibrate when I type in a text message or do certain things. Are you experiencing that as well?

You need to disable haptic feedback in settings AND disable vibrate on touch in keyboard settings. Did you do both?

Sent from my GT-I9192

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Is the keyboard vibrate setting in the same list as "text message limit" "multimedia message limit"? if so, I have that off.

I also unchecked the vibrate option under "sound" settings, I am still getting vibrations

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Is the keyboard vibrate setting in the same list as "text message limit" "multimedia message limit"? if so, I have that off.

I also unchecked the vibrate option under "sound" settings, I am still getting vibrations

I think it is under "language and input" or "keyboard and input" or something like that in the main android settings. Not in the settings for a specific app.

Sent from my GT-I9192

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Found it. Your right it's under the language and input. Have to go into the "google keyboard" and check it off. Sweet. Thanks!!

cdd543

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Another thing I've discovered is that Bluetooth doesn't work with my uconnect system in my jeep wrangler. This was the same issue I experienced with every other stock android device on 4.2.2. 4.3 fixed it on the s4GE so hopefully it'll come very soon. No hands free or streaming.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
This is a pic i took of the screen in ATT today. To your right is the moto. I know there's often a dif. btwn LCD/TFT & Amoled, but do you find your screen to be shade and hue? It's the only thing i'm sorta "hmph" about.

View attachment 77699

would be almost unfair to compare them, b/c next to it is an HTC One, and the S4 was actually horrible in comparison to both of the. Seeing as i've never heard anyone describe the s4 screen as horrible i'm assuming different pieces can just have their own issues. So how would you compare your X to the one here?

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Motorola did a poll on Facebook of different back designs. It'd be nice if one of those desings were offered for the Dev. edition.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
So I was going to buy the Moto Maker version this morning. When it wasn't online, I went to the AT&T store. I got antsy in the supposed week long delivery times. I decided to just buy the white one, a custom one might be worse off in resale.

When I purchased the phone out right, it rang up as only 540.

Posted via Android Central App

Did you get them to unlock it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude