08-25-2013 08:20 PM
58 123
tools
    I had a chance to spend about 5 minutes with the Moto X at an AT&T store today. Given, it was only a few minutes and I'm not too into knowing details about specs, hardware and performance, but my first impression was that this phone DOES most definitely live up to the hype. I've been using a Nexus 4 daily since February and I thought the Moto X screen was simply gorgeous. I had to double check to see if the brightness was at 100 percent but it was only at 50 percent. Moto X was faster and snappier than my Nexus 4, which is not surprising for a new phone, but it felt snappier than the displayed Galaxy S4 as well. By far the most impressive aspect was the form factor. It is very comfortable to hold and it feels a heck of a lot smaller than the Nexus 4. Even though the N4 and Moto X screens are the same size, I really got the strong impression that the Moto X (including the screen) was a lot smaller than the Nexus 4 which much have something to do with having little bezel or something like that. Personally, I count that as a huge plus since I regard the Nexus 4 a bit big for my taste. They also had a real display with all the customized backs and colors so you could actually see what the backs look and feel like rather than relying on a computerized rendition model. If there is some kind of Google Play edition released I'm going to seriously consider it. BTW all the reps at the store were great. Professional, nice, courteous, knowledgeable and they really were just a pleasure to talk with. The experience I had today was great and I would say that if I ever went the postpaid contract route AT&T would be my choice.
    Aquila, MERCDROID, DC Wuff and 1 others like this.
    08-24-2013 11:34 PM
    Just to kind of set things straight, yes a lot of reps simply don't care enough to know anything in depth about a phone. Some of us, however, are in a loop a bit like myself.

As far as the minimum wage thing. I can only speak for myself, but I far exceed that on any given month. I'm strictly commission and the company I work for a motivated rep will make $20+ an hour pretty consistently, maybe dropping to $18 or so on a slow month. So, some of us are pretty well paid.
    I'm making a general statement and I don't mean offense to anyone that actually tries and succeeds as a rep in your industry. I'm sure even from your own experience walking into a competitors store that finding employees like yourself is pretty rare and the average customer service experience with carrier stores isn't that great. Maybe it's just my perception based on my experiences so I could be wrong.

Today with the internet and information available to us at the drop of the hat doing research on something has never been easier. I think the pressure sale or the up-sale is harder now because of that. That's why it's all about the marketing. The color schemes are genius too because right now the only thing we notice about each others phones is the size. If someone pulls out a Mega Galaxy Tab 6.3 everyone will notice it. Now when I pull out my customized phone people will ask about it. Combine that with an effective ad campaign and it's golden.

So while my original post may have been condescending to the reps that are knowledgeable I know from my own experience in healthcare customer service how we are regarded by the consumer as well as by management. That's why in store reps are never make or break for a product, it's all about the marketing campaign.
    08-25-2013 12:19 AM
    Over the past couple of years, a sales guy at HH Gregg had no clue about the Razr, Verizon reps had no clue about the Galaxy Nexus nor the S4, and two sales people at AT&T had a limited clue about the X.

The only people that have any clue about their devices are Apple store employees because they've been basically selling the same phone since 2008.
    No. It isn't the same phone since 2007. seriously.
    08-25-2013 05:37 AM
    No. It isn't the same phone since 2007. seriously.
    From a salesman perspective is there much new to learn each time? Catch the buzz on a few features and spec notations, but teaching people how to use it, etc. would be the same.
    tippmann15, MERCDROID and jephanie like this.
    08-25-2013 05:39 AM
    From a salesman perspective is there much new to learn each time? Catch the buzz on a few features and spec notations, but teaching people how to use it, etc. would be the same.
    OK I see what the other guy meant now.
    Aquila and jephanie like this.
    08-25-2013 05:40 AM
    OK I see what the other guy meant now.
    I could sell iPhones all day long. "Hey look it's shiny! And this here logo represents Original Sin! And, oOoOOOOoh the entire OS is an APP DRAWER with TEH BEST APPS EVAH!"

Am I hired? (ducks)
    niko_orsini and tdizzel like this.
    08-25-2013 05:45 AM
    To be fair here's my Android pitch.

"You know robots are awesome, right? This one sends your info to the US government faster than any other device ON EARTH! Through SPACE!"
    08-25-2013 05:47 AM
    So when I said "First thing I want to say is that while I think its a great phone and anyone who gets it will be happy with it" In your twisted mind that meant that I don't like the phone. And somehow you extrapolated that to mean I think the world is ending.
    You seem to have some serious issues with whatever I say and have become a borderline stalker. If you don't like what I post about then don't read my posts. It says very clearly who started the thread. If you see its me then just stay away. Problem solved. So quit being a drama queen and stick with threads from people that you like.
    Thank you and have a nice day.
    Haha wouldn't the drama queen be the one ranting, thread after thread, and throwing hissy fits when other users challenge him?

It's. A. Phone.

Relax.

I can link the other threads you've created if you need a refresher, from the "we have problems" to whining that Google is the next Apple. Good golly, kiddo.
    08-25-2013 06:37 AM
    To be fair here's my Android pitch.

"You know robots are awesome, right? This one sends your info to the US government faster than any other device ON EARTH! Through SPACE!"
    That award is reserved for the xbone :P
    08-25-2013 08:43 AM
    Haha wouldn't the drama queen be the one ranting, thread after thread, and throwing hissy fits when other users challenge him?

It's. A. Phone.

Relax.

I can link the other threads you've created if you need a refresher, from the "we have problems" to whining that Google is the next Apple. Good golly, kiddo.
    I'm the first to admit that my "Google is the next Apple" was a bit of an overreaction to what initially looked like...well...Google being Apple. My opinion has changed completely since then, and since you're basically stalking me you should realize that. If you have issues with anything else that I posted, then that's because either you go through life taking every single word that every one says waaayyy too literally(which I'm starting to believe, since somehow me saying there's a problem equates to me saying the apocalypse is upon us in your mind) or you just go around looking for things to argue about. I'm not gonna buy the X. But I'm still interested in it because I want to see how it does and where it goes. I also know people who might be interested in it so I want to stay informed, in fact I'm going with a friend to pick one up later today. So I'm gonna hang around this forum and if I have experiences/opinion/news about it then I'm gonna post. And like I said before, if you don't like it, there are plenty of other threads for you to stalk and stir up unnecessary drama. This is a thread about my experience with a salesperson who didn't know what he was talking about, but with your obsession with me you're trying to turn it into me saying the world is ending, and frankly, ain't nobody got time for that. So why don't you just go your own way and I'll go mine.
    08-25-2013 08:54 AM
    same thing, here in NY on Long Island... sales rep knew nothing and even said "we have alot of new phones" and pointed to different phones.. I was like "this phone Just came out today, and its by far better then a Galaxy MEGA or a HTC One Mini" He also tried pushing the BS of the ATT NEXT program on me. I laughed and he walked away..
    Only one employee knew quite a bit, didnt push the NEXT Program on me, and informed me that I can buy a card from them and use it to purchase the phone on motomaker.com.

I'll be giving her my Money for the upgrade lol.
    08-25-2013 09:01 AM
    I went to check it out on Friday. Store rep knew nothing about the phone. I told her that I was interested in this phone, and she said, "well, we have an exclusive on this phone. No one else will have it". Didn't know anything about motomaker. Fortunately, Moto rep was there. She was able to show me her model that didn't have the lojak on it, and it does feel nice in the hand. I could hear her training up the att reps, so hopefully they'll know more about it now.
    08-25-2013 09:13 AM
    Asking your high school physics teacher for advice on differential calculus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Thanks for bringing back bad memories.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-25-2013 12:22 PM
    I don't know if I would say that I fear for the Moto X. Could they do a little better marketing the device? Sure. Could they do a little better training the the sales representative on the phone and how to pitch it? Sure. But I guess it doesn't really matter to me if they do well or not. I rarely ask sales representatives to help me decide on anything anymore. I have long since learned my lesson with that. This is confirmed just about every time I walk in to a store that sells tech. I practically beg the sales people not to talk to me, but they don't listen and spread so much misinformation. So I do the research on my own and usually I will only go into the store so that I can get a hands-on experience with the device.

I remember going into a Sprint store last year when LTE was finally offered in my town. I was contemplating switching so I could sign up for unlimited LTE. The sales representative told me that Sprint was the only carrier with "true" LTE. Then he asked me what carrier I was with and I told him AT&T. He told me that wasn't true LTE. This was even after I showed him the LTE symbol on my phone. He said it was a lot slower than the "true" LTE of Sprint. I did a speed test right there in the store. I was getting high 30s mbps down. The Sprint phone was getting high 20s (which was good). So much for his argument for 'true" LTE on Sprint being better than any other carrier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    08-25-2013 12:24 PM
    I'm the first to admit that my "Google is the next Apple" was a bit of an overreaction to what initially looked like...well...Google being Apple. My opinion has changed completely since then, and since you're basically stalking me you should realize that. If you have issues with anything else that I posted, then that's because either you go through life taking every single word that every one says waaayyy too literally(which I'm starting to believe, since somehow me saying there's a problem equates to me saying the apocalypse is upon us in your mind) or you just go around looking for things to argue about. I'm not gonna buy the X. But I'm still interested in it because I want to see how it does and where it goes. I also know people who might be interested in it so I want to stay informed, in fact I'm going with a friend to pick one up later today. So I'm gonna hang around this forum and if I have experiences/opinion/news about it then I'm gonna post. And like I said before, if you don't like it, there are plenty of other threads for you to stalk and stir up unnecessary drama. This is a thread about my experience with a salesperson who didn't know what he was talking about, but with your obsession with me you're trying to turn it into me saying the world is ending, and frankly, ain't nobody got time for that. So why don't you just go your own way and I'll go mine.
    I would think that going around and calling someone a stalker is probably not approved in the forum rules, nor does it apply to keeping a thread civil and on topic.
    TheLibertarian likes this.
    08-25-2013 12:34 PM
    These are the same salespeople that are selling the HTC One, and the Galaxy S4, and the iPhone....

Yeah, I'm not worried.
    Boy, that actually makes sense!

I concur.
    JungleLarry likes this.
    08-25-2013 03:37 PM
    I went to the AT&T store to check out the X. Got to play a little with the white and black ones. First thing I want to say is that while I think its a great phone and anyone who gets it will be happy with it, I'm glad I got the Ultra. There was nothing about the X that made me regret the purchase. It felt nice in my hand, but to me, the Ultra fits better. I'm sure that's not the case for everyone, but it is for me.
    But anywho, the sales guy comes up to me to talk to me about the X. he says "well its an OK phone, but there's nothing really special about it" That's quite the sales pitch. Then he tells me its got a quad core processor and a 4MP camera. Seeing the stunned look on my face, he goes on "yeah, its got more horsepower than almost any other phone." I asked him about the customization and he tells me there's about 20 colors you can get on the front and back. He says you come in the store, tell him how you want the phone to look and you'll get it 3-4 weeks later. He says you can even get your name put on the back if you want.
    I really hope this guy isn't indicative of AT&T salespeople or this phone could be in lots of trouble.
    Thinly veiled bash buddy. The thing I dislike about these posts isn't the content it's the unspoken implication that we're too dumb to realize what they're really up to. Followed by proclamations of innocence after posts like mine call them on it, further insulting our intelligence. Judging by the responses it doesn't look like anyone else was fooled either. This is an old forum tactic.

What's really going on here is that you're jealous that the X is getting all the attention and you're looking for validation for not being able to buy it.
    TheLibertarian likes this.
    08-25-2013 04:36 PM
    Thinly veiled bash buddy. The thing I dislike about these posts isn't the content it's the unspoken implication that we're too dumb to realize what they're really up to. Followed by proclamations of innocence after posts like mine call them on it, further insulting our intelligence. Judging by the responses it doesn't look like anyone else was fooled either. This is an old forum tactic.

What's really going on here is that you're jealous that the X is getting all the attention and you're looking for validation for not being able to buy it.
    So you are saying that people are jealous of the moto x with 2012' specs...... .doubt it bro.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-25-2013 05:02 PM
    So you are saying that people are jealous of the moto x with 2012' specs...... .doubt it bro.

Tell me again what the benchmark scores are? How about X8 custom chip technology. Enlighten me on what those are. Feeling like you spoke without knowing more about mobile tech than uncle Willie from duck dynasty yet? You should. "bro"
    08-25-2013 05:25 PM
    I could sell iPhones all day long. "Hey look it's shiny! And this here logo represents Original Sin! And, oOoOOOOoh the entire OS is an APP DRAWER with TEH BEST APPS EVAH!"

Am I hired? (ducks)
    You are dead.
    08-25-2013 05:32 PM
    Why do people still argue about specs? Do you NOT get the bigger picture ?!

Look at the iPhone. Its been "lagging behind in specs' since forever right? Yet look how it operates to the end-user. Its flawless. It doesn't stutter, it just works perfectly. Now when someone who isn't tech savy goes to look for a phone, they see an iPhone that doesnt hiccup at all and then a GS4 whose ALL-MIGHT SPECS still lag like its 2005. Samsung doesn't optimize its OS at all clearly. Doing simple **** like opening contacts LAG. Who wants that?! What person that goes to a store would want this after 2 minutes of playing with it they see that it just does not operate right? No body.

Sure the GS4 is capable of more, but to the general person does it matter? Absolutely not! This is why iPhone is where it is. This is what Google is trying to accomplish here. Optimized specs for Google's software. Yes, its not the S800 quad-core 2.6GHZ with 5 gb of ram. So freakin' what?! The phone works! That Samcrap lag is gone! And on top of it, you get the benefits of an Android which is a more capable OS then iOS.

People really need to stop ********.
    08-25-2013 05:37 PM

You sure, bro?

Do yourself a favor: read before further spreading this nonsense of misinformation.
    08-25-2013 05:48 PM
    You sure, bro?

Do yourself a favor: read before further spreading this nonsense of misinformation.
    Does me no favors because I already know there are far better phones out right now for less. Do yourself a favor and understand that.

08-25-2013 05:52 PM
    Does me no favors because I already know there are far better phones out right now for less. Do yourself a favor and understand that.

But, that's simply downright wrong. That's what you need to understand.

The X does things other phones cannot do. The X is a game changing device, throwing out the notion the the highest specs mean the highest quality device. Motorola is trying to help you understand this, but for you it seems ignorance is bliss.
    trandz and Aquila like this.
    08-25-2013 05:56 PM
    But, that's simply downright wrong. That's what you need to understand.

The X does things other phones cannot do. The X is a game changing device, throwing out the notion the the highest specs mean the highest quality device. Motorola is trying to help you understand this, but for you it seems ignorance is bliss.
    Lol you do write like captain kirk! Love the drama. Lol.

08-25-2013 05:59 PM
58 123