I fear for the X

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I went to the AT&T store to check out the X. Got to play a little with the white and black ones. First thing I want to say is that while I think its a great phone and anyone who gets it will be happy with it, I'm glad I got the Ultra. There was nothing about the X that made me regret the purchase. It felt nice in my hand, but to me, the Ultra fits better. I'm sure that's not the case for everyone, but it is for me.
But anywho, the sales guy comes up to me to talk to me about the X. he says "well its an OK phone, but there's nothing really special about it" That's quite the sales pitch. Then he tells me its got a quad core processor and a 4MP camera. Seeing the stunned look on my face, he goes on "yeah, its got more horsepower than almost any other phone." I asked him about the customization and he tells me there's about 20 colors you can get on the front and back. He says you come in the store, tell him how you want the phone to look and you'll get it 3-4 weeks later. He says you can even get your name put on the back if you want.
I really hope this guy isn't indicative of AT&T salespeople or this phone could be in lots of trouble.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Omg ..looks like the sales rep does not know anything about new phone releases ..he needs training !!! I hope Motorola and Google spend some money training all the sales reps

Posted via Android Central App

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Over the past couple of years, a sales guy at HH Gregg had no clue about the Razr, Verizon reps had no clue about the Galaxy Nexus nor the S4, and two sales people at AT&T had a limited clue about the X.

The only people that have any clue about their devices are Apple store employees because they've been basically selling the same phone since 2008.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Of course there's nothing that about the X that would make you want to switch. It's essentially the same dang thing as your ultra!

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Reminds me of when I bought my first hdtv. It was when most had DVI and not HDMI. The guy selling me the TV tried to tell me DVI carried audio as well :(

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Saw Moto X at store today. Sales guy knowledgeable. Display nice. The phone truly impressive. Simply waiting for Nexus 5 and if not a knockout will buy 32 gig, LTE X for full retail.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Of course there's nothing that about the X that would make you want to switch. It's essentially the same dang thing as your ultra!

I'd put higher screen PPI, better buttons, 32gb, customization and a probable better dev community as reasons to consider it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Asking a rep for their opinions is tantamount to Einstein asking your high school physics teacher for advice on differential calculus. Why?

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Asking a rep for their opinions is tantamount to Einstein asking your high school physics teacher for advice on differential calculus. Why?

For techies, yes. Most consumers will ask though and if the associates just look at specs they will cause a lot of average Joe's to miss out on a great phone.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

The only thing I asked him about was the customization. He just came up to me when I was playing with the phone and started talking all that other nonsense.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
For techies, yes. Most consumers will ask though and if the associates just look at specs they will cause a lot of average Joe's to miss out on a great phone.

And if he's telling the average Joe that it will take 3-4 weeks to get the phone back, and they don't know any better, that might cost quite a few sales.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My impression has been that the newest and greenest employees are the ones who are put on "meet and greet duty" for walk ins and the more seasoned employees like to work with established customers.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Did you bother correcting him to show that you knew about the phone?

I didn't but I'm going back tomorrow. The reason I went was because a friend is interested and she asked me if I thought she should get it so I wanted to check it out in person first. We're going tomorrow and if he's there I'l make sure to give him the right info. She's mostly excited about getting a purple phone btw.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Even though I know the phone will require Haxsync for Facebook contacts, I think I'll torture (and school) the next several sales associates who are unfortunate enough to come into contact with me about it. <insert evil laugh here>

Tim_Katarn

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
It's not going to be the in store employees that make or break the phone it's going to be Motorola's marketing. I got hooked on the X because I saw the "OK google now" ad and started researching it. Custom colors sealed the deal for me.

If your strategy relies on the type of employee who makes minimum wage, is poorly informed, and likely doesn't care about their job to sell your product then it's not going to do well. Motorola needs to create the same type of buzz that the iPhone has with this phone and it will be huge. I can already tell from reading people's first impression that the product is sound (mine should be here Monday or so) so that part is done. Now it's time to aggressively blitz this phone and the sales will come.

User experience and ease of operation made the iPhone successful. The X is really the first android phone to 'get it' and make the phone about the user experience first and foremost. There's a huge payoff there if it's done right.

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Just to kind of set things straight, yes a lot of reps simply don't care enough to know anything in depth about a phone. Some of us, however, are in a loop a bit like myself.

As far as the minimum wage thing. I can only speak for myself, but I far exceed that on any given month. I'm strictly commission and the company I work for a motivated rep will make $20+ an hour pretty consistently, maybe dropping to $18 or so on a slow month. So, some of us are pretty well paid.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's not going to be the in store employees that make or break the phone it's going to be Motorola's marketing. I got hooked on the X because I saw the "OK google now" ad and started researching it. Custom colors sealed the deal for me.

If your strategy relies on the type of employee who makes minimum wage, is poorly informed, and likely doesn't care about their job to sell your product then it's not going to do well. Motorola needs to create the same type of buzz that the iPhone has with this phone and it will be huge. I can already tell from reading people's first impression that the product is sound (mine should be here Monday or so) so that part is done. Now it's time to aggressively blitz this phone and the sales will come.

User experience and ease of operation made the iPhone successful. The X is really the first android phone to 'get it' and make the phone about the user experience first and foremost. There's a huge payoff there if it's done right.

"OK Google Now" sucked me in. Used it in the car today. It was amazing.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Haha, I love the OP. This is the third or fourth thread now filled with all this negative nonsense. How many more threads will you create your force your opinion across?

We get it. The Moto X is an outdated, midrange device that will sell terribly. Oh, woe is me, the world is ending.

If you don't like a product, just buy something else for goodness sake. It's merely a phone, and you fear for it? Good grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.