I fear for the X

Status
Not open for further replies.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
i just came back from my att store and i went on and got the black one both were nice but i like the black i wanted to customize however i thought about resale and went with black and i wanted it now anyway the guy said they have not finished training on the phone yet which explains why most of the folks posting are getting all kinds of diff info bad that att did not have these folks trained weeks ago but everyone so scared craps gonna leak they would rather wait until the week its in the store to roll out training just nuts even the sales guy complained luckily i didn't go there to play games i knew what i wanted and new the specs no need in letting them go through a spill to talk about it later so far so good like the phone glad i didn't wait to customize.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Haha, I love the OP. This is the third or fourth thread now filled with all this negative nonsense. How many more threads will you create your force your opinion across?

We get it. The Moto X is an outdated, midrange device that will sell terribly. Oh, woe is me, the world is ending.

If you don't like a product, just buy something else for goodness sake. It's merely a phone, and you fear for it? Good grief.

So when I said "First thing I want to say is that while I think its a great phone and anyone who gets it will be happy with it" In your twisted mind that meant that I don't like the phone. And somehow you extrapolated that to mean I think the world is ending.
You seem to have some serious issues with whatever I say and have become a borderline stalker. If you don't like what I post about then don't read my posts. It says very clearly who started the thread. If you see its me then just stay away. Problem solved. So quit being a drama queen and stick with threads from people that you like.
Thank you and have a nice day.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It's not going to be the in store employees that make or break the phone it's going to be Motorola's marketing. I got hooked on the X because I saw the "OK google now" ad and started researching it. Custom colors sealed the deal for me.

If your strategy relies on the type of employee who makes minimum wage, is poorly informed, and likely doesn't care about their job to sell your product then it's not going to do well. Motorola needs to create the same type of buzz that the iPhone has with this phone and it will be huge. I can already tell from reading people's first impression that the product is sound (mine should be here Monday or so) so that part is done. Now it's time to aggressively blitz this phone and the sales will come.

User experience and ease of operation made the iPhone successful. The X is really the first android phone to 'get it' and make the phone about the user experience first and foremost. There's a huge payoff there if it's done right.

You are right. With heavy advertising they can sell this device well. Wireless sales reps do not care which phone you choose. They get paid based on new lines, upgrades and accessories. They don't care if you pick the free phone or the 300 dollar phone and since they aren't paid based on the device you pick, they don't bother learning anything about the phones they sell.

Sent from my Silver HTC ONE fully converted to the Google Play Edition

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I went to the AT&T store to check out the X. Got to play a little with the white and black ones. First thing I want to say is that while I think its a great phone and anyone who gets it will be happy with it, I'm glad I got the Ultra. There was nothing about the X that made me regret the purchase. It felt nice in my hand, but to me, the Ultra fits better. I'm sure that's not the case for everyone, but it is for me.
But anywho, the sales guy comes up to me to talk to me about the X. he says "well its an OK phone, but there's nothing really special about it" That's quite the sales pitch. Then he tells me its got a quad core processor and a 4MP camera. Seeing the stunned look on my face, he goes on "yeah, its got more horsepower than almost any other phone." I asked him about the customization and he tells me there's about 20 colors you can get on the front and back. He says you come in the store, tell him how you want the phone to look and you'll get it 3-4 weeks later. He says you can even get your name put on the back if you want.
I really hope this guy isn't indicative of AT&T salespeople or this phone could be in lots of trouble.

He does not sound like a unique snowflake.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I had a chance to spend about 5 minutes with the Moto X at an AT&T store today. Given, it was only a few minutes and I'm not too into knowing details about specs, hardware and performance, but my first impression was that this phone DOES most definitely live up to the hype. I've been using a Nexus 4 daily since February and I thought the Moto X screen was simply gorgeous. I had to double check to see if the brightness was at 100 percent but it was only at 50 percent. Moto X was faster and snappier than my Nexus 4, which is not surprising for a new phone, but it felt snappier than the displayed Galaxy S4 as well. By far the most impressive aspect was the form factor. It is very comfortable to hold and it feels a heck of a lot smaller than the Nexus 4. Even though the N4 and Moto X screens are the same size, I really got the strong impression that the Moto X (including the screen) was a lot smaller than the Nexus 4 which much have something to do with having little bezel or something like that. Personally, I count that as a huge plus since I regard the Nexus 4 a bit big for my taste. They also had a real display with all the customized backs and colors so you could actually see what the backs look and feel like rather than relying on a computerized rendition model. If there is some kind of Google Play edition released I'm going to seriously consider it. BTW all the reps at the store were great. Professional, nice, courteous, knowledgeable and they really were just a pleasure to talk with. The experience I had today was great and I would say that if I ever went the postpaid contract route AT&T would be my choice.

Tim_Katarn

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Just to kind of set things straight, yes a lot of reps simply don't care enough to know anything in depth about a phone. Some of us, however, are in a loop a bit like myself.

As far as the minimum wage thing. I can only speak for myself, but I far exceed that on any given month. I'm strictly commission and the company I work for a motivated rep will make $20+ an hour pretty consistently, maybe dropping to $18 or so on a slow month. So, some of us are pretty well paid.

I'm making a general statement and I don't mean offense to anyone that actually tries and succeeds as a rep in your industry. I'm sure even from your own experience walking into a competitors store that finding employees like yourself is pretty rare and the average customer service experience with carrier stores isn't that great. Maybe it's just my perception based on my experiences so I could be wrong.

Today with the internet and information available to us at the drop of the hat doing research on something has never been easier. I think the pressure sale or the up-sale is harder now because of that. That's why it's all about the marketing. The color schemes are genius too because right now the only thing we notice about each others phones is the size. If someone pulls out a Mega Galaxy Tab 6.3 everyone will notice it. Now when I pull out my customized phone people will ask about it. Combine that with an effective ad campaign and it's golden.

So while my original post may have been condescending to the reps that are knowledgeable I know from my own experience in healthcare customer service how we are regarded by the consumer as well as by management. That's why in store reps are never make or break for a product, it's all about the marketing campaign.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Over the past couple of years, a sales guy at HH Gregg had no clue about the Razr, Verizon reps had no clue about the Galaxy Nexus nor the S4, and two sales people at AT&T had a limited clue about the X.

The only people that have any clue about their devices are Apple store employees because they've been basically selling the same phone since 2008.

No. It isn't the same phone since 2007. seriously.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
To be fair here's my Android pitch.

"You know robots are awesome, right? This one sends your info to the US government faster than any other device ON EARTH! Through SPACE!"

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
So when I said "First thing I want to say is that while I think its a great phone and anyone who gets it will be happy with it" In your twisted mind that meant that I don't like the phone. And somehow you extrapolated that to mean I think the world is ending.
You seem to have some serious issues with whatever I say and have become a borderline stalker. If you don't like what I post about then don't read my posts. It says very clearly who started the thread. If you see its me then just stay away. Problem solved. So quit being a drama queen and stick with threads from people that you like.

Haha wouldn't the drama queen be the one ranting, thread after thread, and throwing hissy fits when other users challenge him?

It's. A. Phone.

Relax.

I can link the other threads you've created if you need a refresher, from the "we have problems" to whining that Google is the next Apple. Good golly, kiddo.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Haha wouldn't the drama queen be the one ranting, thread after thread, and throwing hissy fits when other users challenge him?

It's. A. Phone.

Relax.

I can link the other threads you've created if you need a refresher, from the "we have problems" to whining that Google is the next Apple. Good golly, kiddo.

I'm the first to admit that my "Google is the next Apple" was a bit of an overreaction to what initially looked like...well...Google being Apple. My opinion has changed completely since then, and since you're basically stalking me you should realize that. If you have issues with anything else that I posted, then that's because either you go through life taking every single word that every one says waaayyy too literally(which I'm starting to believe, since somehow me saying there's a problem equates to me saying the apocalypse is upon us in your mind) or you just go around looking for things to argue about. I'm not gonna buy the X. But I'm still interested in it because I want to see how it does and where it goes. I also know people who might be interested in it so I want to stay informed, in fact I'm going with a friend to pick one up later today. So I'm gonna hang around this forum and if I have experiences/opinion/news about it then I'm gonna post. And like I said before, if you don't like it, there are plenty of other threads for you to stalk and stir up unnecessary drama. This is a thread about my experience with a salesperson who didn't know what he was talking about, but with your obsession with me you're trying to turn it into me saying the world is ending, and frankly, ain't nobody got time for that. So why don't you just go your own way and I'll go mine.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
same thing, here in NY on Long Island... sales rep knew nothing and even said "we have alot of new phones" and pointed to different phones.. I was like "this phone Just came out today, and its by far better then a Galaxy MEGA or a HTC One Mini" He also tried pushing the BS of the ATT NEXT program on me. I laughed and he walked away..
Only one employee knew quite a bit, didnt push the NEXT Program on me, and informed me that I can buy a card from them and use it to purchase the phone on motomaker.com.

I'll be giving her my Money for the upgrade lol.

bstarr3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I went to check it out on Friday. Store rep knew nothing about the phone. I told her that I was interested in this phone, and she said, "well, we have an exclusive on this phone. No one else will have it". Didn't know anything about motomaker. Fortunately, Moto rep was there. She was able to show me her model that didn't have the lojak on it, and it does feel nice in the hand. I could hear her training up the att reps, so hopefully they'll know more about it now.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if I would say that I fear for the Moto X. Could they do a little better marketing the device? Sure. Could they do a little better training the the sales representative on the phone and how to pitch it? Sure. But I guess it doesn't really matter to me if they do well or not. I rarely ask sales representatives to help me decide on anything anymore. I have long since learned my lesson with that. This is confirmed just about every time I walk in to a store that sells tech. I practically beg the sales people not to talk to me, but they don't listen and spread so much misinformation. So I do the research on my own and usually I will only go into the store so that I can get a hands-on experience with the device.

I remember going into a Sprint store last year when LTE was finally offered in my town. I was contemplating switching so I could sign up for unlimited LTE. The sales representative told me that Sprint was the only carrier with "true" LTE. Then he asked me what carrier I was with and I told him AT&T. He told me that wasn't true LTE. This was even after I showed him the LTE symbol on my phone. He said it was a lot slower than the "true" LTE of Sprint. I did a speed test right there in the store. I was getting high 30s mbps down. The Sprint phone was getting high 20s (which was good). So much for his argument for 'true" LTE on Sprint being better than any other carrier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm the first to admit that my "Google is the next Apple" was a bit of an overreaction to what initially looked like...well...Google being Apple. My opinion has changed completely since then, and since you're basically stalking me you should realize that. If you have issues with anything else that I posted, then that's because either you go through life taking every single word that every one says waaayyy too literally(which I'm starting to believe, since somehow me saying there's a problem equates to me saying the apocalypse is upon us in your mind) or you just go around looking for things to argue about. I'm not gonna buy the X. But I'm still interested in it because I want to see how it does and where it goes. I also know people who might be interested in it so I want to stay informed, in fact I'm going with a friend to pick one up later today. So I'm gonna hang around this forum and if I have experiences/opinion/news about it then I'm gonna post. And like I said before, if you don't like it, there are plenty of other threads for you to stalk and stir up unnecessary drama. This is a thread about my experience with a salesperson who didn't know what he was talking about, but with your obsession with me you're trying to turn it into me saying the world is ending, and frankly, ain't nobody got time for that. So why don't you just go your own way and I'll go mine.

I would think that going around and calling someone a stalker is probably not approved in the forum rules, nor does it apply to keeping a thread civil and on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech