08-23-2014 09:53 AM
445 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    I'm new to Android and the MotoX. I am getting around 13-14hrs of usage which is plenty for me, I'm mostly on wifi and web browsing most of the day with auto brightness. I don't play games and listen to podcasts occasionally.

However (maybe I shouldn't look in this thread). I'd love to get 16-20+ hours. I have a stock ATT MotoX. What do you guys do to stretch battery life?
    You may want to turn on Battery Saver mode. It will do less background syncing throughout the day.
    11-07-2013 09:31 AM
    Sorry I am posting here but I couldn't figure out how to start a new post on this app... And this is some what related. This is my first post!

I have had my moto x for a week and I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this:

My moto x gets pretty warm while charging (not hot, but pretty warm, enough to make fingers sweaty).

I am not sure if this is expected or unusual, my last phone was a moto atrix 2 and never experienced this.

Thanks guys!

Posted via Android Central App
    11-07-2013 12:55 PM
    Can more people who actually make calls with their phones share battery life numbers? I think we seen enough from those who check facebook and twitter over wifi, I'd like to see some numbers from people who actually use their phones as phones and also use google now. I am really wanting to get this phone now that Moto Maker is coming to VZ but, coming from a Razr Maxx I don't know it I can take the chance on battery life.
    11-10-2013 12:55 PM
    Maybe go Maxx?
    The battery is strong on the X and can get most people through a full day on a single charge.
    If you think you are a power user compared to "most people" and you know that you will hate the phone if the battery does not last you for a full day, then don't take the risk. Get the Maxx.

The Moto X is strong enough in the battery department to go head to head with the galaxy s4, HTC one or iphone 5s. In fact, its probably a little bit better then the most popular phones.

But if you are REALLY battery hungry then the Maxx is a no brainer.
    jev425 likes this.
    11-10-2013 04:04 PM
    Unfortunately I think I am going to have to go Maxx. I really liked the idea of having some customization and color choices however, I have to have a phone last all day. Looks like I'll have to settle for ugly and awesome with an even uglier case.
    11-10-2013 07:45 PM
    Unfortunately I think I am going to have to go Maxx. I really liked the idea of having some customization and color choices however, I have to have a phone last all day. Looks like I'll have to settle for ugly and awesome with an even uglier case.
    I personally think the Maxx is pretty sweet looking too. I like the kevlar pattern on the back. And the cnet reviewer sure seemed to love it. Gave it allot of stars.

I agonized over the decision. Battery life is very important to me. I do not really need it to last more then a day however, because at night my phone goes to charger and serves as my digital alarm clock. I was torn between both devices and the LG G2. . I ended up with X and didn't even get to customize it.

But all that stressing was for not, the X makes it all day every day for me, thank god. I am glad I didn't go G2, I would have never known what I was missing.

But I do not think you can go wrong with the X or the Maxx. Both have the always listening and that sweet "motorola assist" thing going on in the car.

I hope moto continues doing this stuff because I dread ever getting a phone that does not have the features of the X and the Maxx. There is no going back for me.
    11-10-2013 08:58 PM
    Hrmm, Be nice if there was someway you could test the X for a week and take it back if it didn't make it on the battery. Guess that not practical because of moto maker though.
    whitenack likes this.
    11-10-2013 09:00 PM
    Can more people who actually make calls with their phones share battery life numbers? I think we seen enough from those who check facebook and twitter over wifi, I'd like to see some numbers from people who actually use their phones as phones and also use google now. I am really wanting to get this phone now that Moto Maker is coming to VZ but, coming from a Razr Maxx I don't know it I can take the chance on battery life.
    Making calls drains the battery less than surfing/using data. If that's all you use your moto x for I can't fathom why it wouldn't last you a full day.
    11-10-2013 09:03 PM
    I couldn't agree more. I chose the Maxx over the X and love it. Sure, it's not as good looking as the X, but I don't think it's ugly either. I actually love the Kevlar back on the Maxx. It prevents fingerprints and smudges and generally feels good in the hand. But the key, obviously, is the battery. I am generally not a heavy user, more medium user. But even on days when I am seemingly on my phone all day (text, talk, internet, music, etc.), I have never plugged in at the end of the day with less than 50%. I know, well then what's the point of the Maxx if I don't even use half the battery? I just like having the comfort to know that no matter what I do in a given day, my phone will make it through the entire day.
    11-11-2013 01:45 PM
    The display is the biggest battery hog. If people who are browsing facebook all day are getting a day's worth of battery life, you'll have no problem if you're just making calls.
    11-11-2013 02:12 PM
    Making calls drains the battery less than surfing/using data. If that's all you use your moto x for I can't fathom why it wouldn't last you a full day.
    No it drains the battery more.. I am at 12 h 43 m right now with 20% battery. 29% is voice calls, 28% android os and 25% screen. On weekends when my cell phone is basically moth balled I'll get 24-30 before charging with google now running and my phone calls won't even register on usage. And I also have 3 email accounts syncing.
    11-11-2013 07:01 PM
    Hrmm, Be nice if there was someway you could test the X for a week and take it back if it didn't make it on the battery. Guess that not practical because of moto maker though.
    It would be nice if they made the X with the 3300mah battery.
    shaytoon21 and Xanth269 like this.
    11-11-2013 07:02 PM
    No it drains the battery more.. I am at 12 h 43 m right now with 20% battery. 29% is voice calls, 28% android os and 25% screen. On weekends when my cell phone is basically moth balled I'll get 24-30 before charging with google now running and my phone calls won't even register on usage. And I also have 3 email accounts syncing.
    I think you misunderstood what I said. Using the phone more will naturally always drain more battery. The comparison I made is between using the phone to make lots of calls, and using the phone to play around with other things, such as using social media, surfing the web, etc. You're comparing the drain between a mothballed phone and an actively used phone. That isn't the right comparison to make. Someone who uses the phone heavily to read the news, post on facebook and twitter, etc., will be draining the battery far more than someone who uses their phone primarily to make calls. The point is that you seem to be operating under the false assumption that you can't rely on other people's reported battery use because they're not using the moto x as a phone. What I'm trying to tell you is that for you, how they use the phone isn't relevant, because using the moto x just as a phone to make calls (what you plan to do) is less taxing on the battery than how most other people use smartphones. For starters, when you use the moto x to make a call, the screen is usually turned off by the proximity sensor. As someone has already stated, the biggest battery hog is the screen.
    Ry likes this.
    11-11-2013 07:23 PM
    the screen is the biggest hog on this phone and after owning the phone for some time, the battery drains quicker than before (obvisouly). after a full charge and using it for several hrs (5am to 930a), the phone drains down to mid 70s%. just to be safe, i recharge it so it could last me the rest of the day. i wonder if the screen drain can be fixed with any kind of software utilization or patch? my screen setting is set to just barely before the lowest.
    11-13-2013 12:00 PM
    Ok..got my Moto X yesterday (navy blue black..white front and blue accents)

but also a FIRST time smartphone user..

So .....gonna post my stats and hope you guys find it up to par..if not..will appreciate your honesty on the matter

so 12% battery life remaining
    14h 57m 45s on battery
    Wifi constantly on for 13h 0m 52s
    auto sync for Gmail on..also getting push notifficatsion from other email & msg apps like Ymail. FB messenger..Viber.
    FB refresh interval off

Screen 61% - Time On - 7h 36m 43s
    Android OS - 12%
    Wifi - 7%
    Android System - 7%
    Cell Standby - 3%
    Phone Idle - 3%
    Facebook - 2%
    Chrome - 2%

NFC on (for Moto Skip) for like 2 hrs & 5 mins.

What do you guys think? MANY THANKS!
    11-16-2013 11:41 PM
    15 hours off the charger and 7 1/2 hours of screen time is good.
    bryantest likes this.
    11-16-2013 11:46 PM
    It would be nice if they made the X with the 3300mah battery.
    Ever heard of the Motorola Droid Maxx?
    11-17-2013 07:14 AM
    Got my Moto X on Friday. Pretty happy with it. I've been keeping an eye on battery life and so far it's been acceptable.

I did have a question though -- in the attached screenshots, you will see Android OS as taking up a sizable % throughout the day. Is that standard? In the Details of that "app", it shows it kept the device awake for over 1.25 hours, and CPU Time of 4.5 hours.

I tried installing a Wakelock Monitor, but those are kaput in KitKat. Despite this, battery life seems to be good, but still wondering if it could be better if there was something else going on here on the device.

Moto X Battery Life-screenshot_2013-11-25-01-31-10.png
    Moto X Battery Life-screenshot_2013-11-25-01-31-20.png
    11-25-2013 05:55 PM
    These results are about the same as what I see from the N5 users, and the N5 is supposed to have terrible battery life. I wonder why the X is reviewed as having great battery life but the N5 is panned?
    11-27-2013 04:33 PM
    Got my Moto X on Friday. Pretty happy with it. I've been keeping an eye on battery life and so far it's been acceptable.

I did have a question though -- in the attached screenshots, you will see Android OS as taking up a sizable % throughout the day. Is that standard? In the Details of that "app", it shows it kept the device awake for over 1.25 hours, and CPU Time of 4.5 hours.

I tried installing a Wakelock Monitor, but those are kaput in KitKat. Despite this, battery life seems to be good, but still wondering if it could be better if there was something else going on here on the device.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-11-25-01-31-10.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	93917

Name:	Screenshot_2013-11-25-01-31-20.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	93918
    I am experiencing the same thing on my Moto X with very high CPU Totals in Android OS when connected to wifi. This is my first KitKat device so not sure if this is something related to that or if its something relating to wifi itself. I have debated doing a factory reset but wanted to check a few other things first as this issue is only when connected to wifi. Just to compare do you use a 5ghz wifi network? I am debating trying 2.4ghz instead to see if that changes anything. I am just running out of ideas. My battery life has been okay but those numbers just never seem right to me under Android OS.
    11-27-2013 05:40 PM
    I have the same issue too. I will try 2.4ghz and idle overnight to see how much it drains. I am on jellybean and I just did a factory reset. My nexus 5 has no such problem; android OS usage is 15% or less.
    11-27-2013 09:22 PM
    Do you guys understand that those numbers are just the percentages that each process is responsible for your current battery level? If you use nothing, of course your Android OS is going to be higher on the list...it's the only thing running. If you're averaging over a 48 hour pace, you're effectively not doing anything with your phone. That's why those numbers are misleading without context.

Try leaving your screen on all day and see how high "Android OS" is...
    11-28-2013 12:08 AM
    Do you guys understand that those numbers are just the percentages that each process is responsible for your current battery level? If you use nothing, of course your Android OS is going to be higher on the list...it's the only thing running. If you're averaging over a 48 hour pace, you're effectively not doing anything with your phone. That's why those numbers are misleading without context.

Try leaving your screen on all day and see how high "Android OS" is...
    No, they don't get it at all it doesn't seem. This thing gets awesome battery life. In my opinion, it beats out my old GNex with a friggin Hyperion hanging off the back. If your battery life sucks, it's most likely user error in the setting department. People are staring at the wrong things. Look at screen off and awake before something like "Android OS". It means nothing without context.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-28-2013 01:09 AM
    Trust me I do get it. If my Android OS was 99% but I was still getting amazing battery life I wouldn't be complaining but the problem is I am not getting amazing battery life, certainly not compared to the S4 I came from and not based on what others are posting. Here are battery numbers from my idle battery drain overnight. Something isn't right as this is was literally less then 1 minute of screen on time and on wifi the entire time. My S4 running the exact same software, on the same network running 4.3 was at 92% sitting right next to my Moto X. I came on here looking for advise and posted the only information I had at the time and the fact of the matter is that others are having the same issue. Anyway I will continue to figure this out on my own and will most likely factory reset it this weekend.

Moto X Battery Life-screenshot_2013-11-28-07-16-40.png
    Moto X Battery Life-screenshot_2013-11-28-07-16-52.png
    11-28-2013 07:43 AM
    Trust me I do get it. If my Android OS was 99% but I was still getting amazing battery life I wouldn't be complaining but the problem is I am not getting amazing battery life, certainly not compared to the S4 I came from and not based on what others are posting. Here are battery numbers from my idle battery drain overnight. Something isn't right as this is was literally less then 1 minute of screen on time and on wifi the entire time. My S4 running the exact same software, on the same network running 4.3 was at 92% sitting right next to my Moto X. I came on here looking for advise and posted the only information I had at the time and the fact of the matter is that others are having the same issue. Anyway I will continue to figure this out on my own and will most likely factory reset it this weekend.

Name:	Screenshot_2013-11-28-07-16-40.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	94296

Name:	Screenshot_2013-11-28-07-16-52.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	94295
    So info is with your phone totally idle for 7 hrs. 30 min 40 sec. and dropped 16%.?
    Before I did a FDR , and since your might still be on 4.2.2 ?
    You might want to install Wakelock Detector from the playstore .
    Also was anything keeping your phone awake ?
    11-28-2013 08:57 AM
445 ... 1314151617 ...