08-23-2014 10:53 AM
445 ... 1415161718
tools
    Trust me I do get it. If my Android OS was 99% but I was still getting amazing battery life I wouldn't be complaining but the problem is I am not getting amazing battery life, certainly not compared to the S4 I came from and not based on what others are posting. Here are battery numbers from my idle battery drain overnight. Something isn't right as this is was literally less then 1 minute of screen on time and on wifi the entire time. My S4 running the exact same software, on the same network running 4.3 was at 92% sitting right next to my Moto X. I came on here looking for advise and posted the only information I had at the time and the fact of the matter is that others are having the same issue. Anyway I will continue to figure this out on my own and will most likely factory reset it this weekend.

Attachment 94296
    Attachment 94295
    I understand that there is an issue with Android OS sucking battery life. I wasn't referring to that. I was talking about the people who hardly use their phone, get great battery times, but see "Android OS" as the main drain on the battery stats page and start to complain.

The Android OS problem isn't isolated to the Moto X either.
    11-28-2013 11:06 AM
    So info is with your phone totally idle for 7 hrs. 30 min 40 sec. and dropped 16%.?
    Before I did a FDR , and since your might still be on 4.2.2 ?
    You might want to install Wakelock Detector from the playstore .
    Also was anything keeping your phone awake ?
    Yes this is with my phone totally idle, just running my usual background processes I ran on my S4. Unfortunately I am on 4.4 so Wakelock detector isn't an option. I am going to try this same test again tonight but this time with wifi off and see what happens as this only seems to happen when wifi is connected. I did have one program keeping my phone awake but I removed it before I did this test. Obviously something is keeping my phone awake when on wifi given that 1 hour and 19 minutes of keep awake. I just wish I could figure out what it is. If I can't figure it out by Saturday I will do a reset and slowly starting putting my apps back on and try to figure this out. Thanks again everyone.
    11-28-2013 11:15 AM
    I miss Wakelock Detector and Gsam Batt monitor, too, but SystemPanel by NextApp, Inc was suggested and it works on the X with 4.4. I'll add a screenshot of my 3 Day History.

A comment...16% Batt used divided by 7.5 hours is about 2% per hour...that ain't too bad.

Moto X Battery Life-3days1.jpg
    11-28-2013 11:44 AM
    I miss Wakelock Detector and Gsam Batt monitor, too, but SystemPanel by NextApp, Inc was suggested and it works on the X with 4.4. I'll add a screenshot of my 3 Day History.

A comment...16% Batt used divided by 7.5 hours is about 2% per hour...that ain't too bad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3Days1.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	94318
    Thanks, I will check that out. Perhaps a 16% drain over 7.5 hours isn't bad but given that something as part of Android OS keeps my phone awake for almost an hour and a half when connected to wifi I imagine it should be better. My S4 only drained 9% although I do realize the S4's battery is almost 20% larger. I am confident I can get to the bottom of it just figured I'd see if others have noticed similar battery drains when connected to wifi.
    11-28-2013 12:05 PM
    Thanks, I will check that out. Perhaps a 16% drain over 7.5 hours isn't bad but given that something as part of Android OS keeps my phone awake for almost an hour and a half when connected to wifi I imagine it should be better. My S4 only drained 9% although I do realize the S4's battery is almost 20% larger. I am confident I can get to the bottom of it just figured I'd see if others have noticed similar battery drains when connected to wifi.
    The 'Plot' view can be switched to 'Top Apps' view to help you analyze...check this that I posted elsewhere...

The only thing that I had noticed being a little strange when reviewing my 2 Day History was that CPU activity was at 50% through the entire Charging cycle for 2 days...Top App then was G+ so I uninstalled update and disabled it last night before charging overnight and today CPU activity looks more normal during the charge.

Can't figure what G+ could have been doing all night for the 2 days?

I've enabled and Updated G+ again this morning and will let it run tonight while charging...maybe the the Update reinstall will have straightened something out.
    11-28-2013 12:14 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3Days1.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	94318
    Yup I miss those apps too.Thanks for tip on work around app.

sent from Moto X
    11-28-2013 02:52 PM
    I did another battery drain while idle test overnight but this time connected to an alternate wifi router and it appears that fixed the drain issue so the problem wasn't an app but something about the connection between the Moto X and my regular router (Asus RT-N66U). Since this is my only KitKat device and I've only run my Moto X on KitKat I don't know if this problem is specific to the Moto X itself, the KitKat update or the Moto X's KitKat update. I will say if anyone else is having bad battery life and is mostly on wifi during that time you might need to look at your router. Maybe it's a setting on the router although none of my other phones or tablets are having similar issues. Including the battery life screens to show the improvement with the alternate router as on my Asus router the night before for a similar test I dropped to 84% with 4 hours of CPU total and nearly 1.5 hours of being kept awake.

Moto X Battery Life-screenshot_2013-11-29-06-45-34.png
    Moto X Battery Life-screenshot_2013-11-29-06-45-40.png
    11-29-2013 08:59 AM
    Wanted to do a quick post with my battery life:

Moto X Battery Life-motoxuptime_01.png

With fairly light use (some texting, email, twitter, light web browsing) I was at 50% after 24 hours (only around 1 hour screen-on time). Another 12 hours dropped me to 7% remaining because I started doing some video streaming (total of 2 hours screen-on time). One of the sharp drops in battery was the streaming, the second happened without explanation while the screen was off. If it wasn't for that second drop-off, I'd probably have been able to get close to 48 hours.

Overnight I'll lose between 5 and 10% while idle for 8 hours with no power-saving features turned on. My screen-on time never seems quite as impressive as others I've seen here, but the longevity for basic messaging use completely blows my mind.
    12-03-2013 09:54 PM
    Question. 6% battery life lost in a span of 30 mins ...surfing watching videos and FB News Feed scanning. Is that normal? Thanks

Posted via Android Central App
    12-03-2013 10:02 PM
    Question. 6% battery life lost in a span of 30 mins ...surfing watching videos and FB News Feed scanning. Is that normal? Thanks

Screen on the whole time?

12-03-2013 10:10 PM
    Screen on the whole time?

Yes. On the whole entire 30 mins.
    12-03-2013 10:51 PM
    Yes. On the whole entire 30 mins.
    Then yes. That's 5 minutes of screen time and draining 1%
    Insanely good actually, normal is closer to 2-3 minutes

bryantest and jephanie like this.
    12-04-2013 12:39 AM
    just got the developer edition and my battery life is abysmal. I drop 15% in an hour without touching the phone. Doing a factory reset now. Hopefully that helps.
    12-04-2013 07:51 AM
    Landale, Do you have any idea which settings are different between your two routers?

12-10-2013 05:57 AM
    Battery saver on, lowest brightness, mostly texting and Chrome browsing and Gmail, a few YouTube clips, a few songs, a few camera photos, and using the camera's light for ~10-15 minutes.

Screen on 3h 30m 16s.
    Wi-Fi running 14h 11m.

12-11-2013 12:31 AM
    Another test: went to sleep around 11pm with 71% remaining, woke up around 640am with 65%.
    12-12-2013 09:58 AM
    This is my first full charge n I'm pretty happy with it

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Moto X Battery Life-1386899645792.jpg   Moto X Battery Life-1386899659061.jpg  
    weksa likes this.
    12-12-2013 08:54 PM
    Well I'm on day 4 now and battery life seems to be getting worse instead of better

12-15-2013 05:25 PM
    I've had a simliar experience. VZW Motomaker 32GB (non-developer model). First full day: 20+ hours with mixed WiFi and 4G LTE. Even used the GPS with Waze for 30 minutes. About 2 hours of screen time. I neglected to charge it before going to sleep (it was still at 46% battery) and it discharged.

Day 2: Away from WiFi most of the day and the battery drain is concerning. Also, the phone gets very hot in the pocket. Good signal, no loss of signal (unlike my old GNex). Android OS main culprit - even with little on-screen time, drops 20% in less than an hour.

Snapshots from tonight (after reboot and full AC charge): very good results on WiFi and overall. Stepped out for 45 minutes to pick something up at the store and the battery dropped 25%.

I know some said not to be concerned as there's a battery "settling" period. Of course, I didn't want to cycle through the battery, either. Any thoughts? Especially the very warm phone?

Moto X Battery Life-screenshot_2013-12-15-22-46-37.pngMoto X Battery Life-screenshot_2013-12-15-22-46-23.png
    12-15-2013 10:57 PM
    Here are shots from my phone. Chris

Attached Thumbnails Moto X Battery Life-1387172605595.jpg   Moto X Battery Life-1387172622097.jpg   Moto X Battery Life-1387172636776.jpg  
    12-16-2013 12:44 AM
    I'm blown away by the battery life. This is the best of any smartphone that I've ever owned.

I'm getting 14-16 hours with 4-5 hours of screen time and 20-25% battery still remaining.

I've had the phone only a few days so far but I'm loving it.

Sent via the X!
    12-16-2013 06:35 AM
    So twice I've had the battery get down to about 10%, and then drop to zero immediately. Has anyone else seen this, or know what might cause it? I'm talking about the drop-off at the end. It's almost as if it's not reporting the last 10% correctly.

(Ignore the uptime. Picture was taken after I got it back on a charger.)

Moto X Battery Life-motoxbattery_01.png
    12-16-2013 10:37 AM
    Thanks snoking! I installed one new (to me) app that was recommended by the show, All About Android on the TWiT network. It's called SolMail and is one of the most elegantly designed e-mail apps I've seen on Android. This app was using the second highest amount of battery. I uninstalled it last night. I was getting several "Unstable Network" errors from this program and it was using an obscene amount of data for my IMAP accounts (over 2GB in two days!).

To test things out today, I ran the Moto X on WiFi for two hours and left it idle. It only used about 3% of the fully charged battery. I then, shut WiFi off and ran on 4G for about an hour. Only a 1% drain. Finally, I shoved the phone in my pocket for two hours on 4G to see if it would get hot. It did not and has only used another 2% of battery. BTW, I do not have battery saver turned on.

So, I think I found my culprit! Android CPU and keep awake times are far lower today under all of those tests. Too bad about the SolMail app, as it's very nice. I'll attempt to do the "errands" test again later this evening to see if cell handoffs, etc affect the pocket temperature and battery life of the phone. Or, perhaps the phone battery has finally "settled" down. Either way, the battery life on this thing is truly amazing!
    12-16-2013 03:19 PM
    Ingress is a battery hog right? I was involved in the recent 13MAGNUS event here in San Diego last weekend. Didn't even worry about not having my external battery pack.
    12-16-2013 03:25 PM

Although much better than the battery life of my Galaxy Nexus, I'm not sure this is that great.
    Sent from my XT1060 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
    12-16-2013 07:13 PM
445 ... 1415161718