08-23-2014 10:53 AM
445 12345 ...
tools
    This had to be the stupidest reply ever in annals of Forum replies!
    "That means that you can spend days just checking your time and managing your notifications because you'd never have to turn on your phone."
    Well thats just amazing, I can Look at a clock and notifications, But god forbid I act on one and Turn on my phone!

First off, if you think having the clock and notifications on all the time wont drain your battery, you are delusional. Will they drain as much as turning on the whole screen for the few seconds it takes, Probably not, But since they are on ALMOST ALL OF THE TIME, It will more than make up for it and in the end, do just as much battery drain. Same goes for the Always Listening mode!
    You people actually think Googlerola Reinvented the Wheel almost overnight, Drink the Kool-Aide much?

And then there was this, Think before typing response....
    "That said, if you have the phone on and surfing the internet or playing games you are bypassing the Moto X's best battery saving features"
    So if I actually use my phone as anything more than a clock, Imagine somebody doing that. I am defeating Googlerolas Secret weapon in Battery Drain - Which Is Don't use your Phone, keep it off!
    You are a Genius Gump!
    That's not what I was saying, yes it will still drain the battery, but due to the low energy processors handling the work while the phone is asleep the Moto X has been shown to have a MUCH lower standby battery drain by multiple reviewers. That means that there is negligible drain between actual times where you turn on the phone to use it.

Lets say you use some phones. Each is used, with 30 minutes in a game, a few emails, about an hour of screen on time spending time on the web browser, and then a few phone calls. The Moto X has shown to have the same heavy usage time as the Galaxy S4. Lets say the 30 minutes of game drains each battery by 20%. From there the Moto X will then drain much slower than the Galaxy S4, lets 2% per hour for the Moto X and 5% for the S4. At the lunch break you spend an hour web browsing. At the beginning of the lunch break you'd be at 73% on the Moto X and 62.5% on the Galaxy S4. The hour of web browsing drains each battery another 20%, leaving the Moto X at 53% and the Galaxy S4 to 42.5%. At the end of a work day you make two phone calls. At this time the Moto X has 45% remaining and the Galaxy S4 has 22.5%.

That means that with the same actual usage of a Moto X, because you don't need to constantly turn on the phone to manage your life you will end up with a much longer lasting battery even if you have the exact same usage between devices.

The first line that you quoted is saying that yes, all phones will have multiple days of stand-by time. During this standby time Galaxy S4's, HTC One's, iPhone 5's, and all other conventional phones are useless because they don't give you any useful information. The Moto X on the other hand will still be giving you the time and informing you of any notifications you receive. Yes I agree it isn't completely capable during this time but it can do so much more than its competitors without substantial battery drain.
    08-29-2013 08:39 PM
    Impressive! 2H 50M screen on time and 21 hours of standby
    So basically it;s no better then My Gnex or any other Android Phone.
    People, Standby time doesn't matter, Seriously! Post your screen-on time Pics not the Battery % pic
    If i put my Gnex in a drawer and never turn it on I get like 8 Days of standby, What good is that?
    If you leave you Gnex in the drawer you get 8 days of a completely black screen.

If you leave a Moto X on a table for 8 days you get regular information about time and notifications. I'll take the actual somewhat useful 8 days.

The point of the Moto X is that its idle battery drain is negligible due to the contextual and language processors so it saves your battery for when you actually need it. Meanwhile when the phone is idle it is still much more useful to its owner by giving them actual real-life information.
    08-29-2013 08:42 PM
    Another World class Stupid post!
    What can you do when the phone is idle?
    Check the time? See a notification? Impressive And you never act on them? I can check my notifications in 2 seconds which uses much less battery time then the screen always being on. I bought a phone to use, not to look at a clock.

"To get super high screen time on any phone you have to use it a lot. The more you use the screen the more screen time you'll get. " I have no idea WTF you are talking about there, Again I didnt buy a phone to leave it in standby.

And then you told us you have disabled all the new features.
    " I don't have the always on voice recognition, active notifications and assist running all the time, either. I've also done some battery life optimization with limiting syncing."
    Googlerola Claimed 24 hours of Mixed Usage with everything enabled. So what's your point? The fact that their "Mixed Usage" includes 20+ Hours of standby is just gravy!
    You really need to work on your reading comprehension and quit being such an imbecile.

The post you quoted was referring to his experiences with his GS4. He was saying that his GS4 does not have all the features of the Moto X and in order to achieve his limited battery life he had to limit syncing.
    08-29-2013 08:45 PM
    Another World class Stupid post!
    A total of eight posts and this is how you open one of them. Regardless if I agree with you or not.....dude.....you need to get laid or something. You have quite a lot of tension built up there.
    JimBen73 and tonymhoffman like this.
    08-29-2013 08:45 PM
    And you have now hit the Trifecta!
    Every Claim you makes is a Googlerola Marketing Claim, or from a PAID reviewer. There is no Proof that any of Googlerola's Super Secret, New this and that Technology has any useful or Factual improvements to battery life. In fact, Real world reviews are pointing to the exact opposite. The unpaid reviewers and are claiming as little as 3 hours of Screen on Time ( The only stat that matters) on brand new batteries. Which is a disgrace. My Gnex does better then that and the battery is two years old.
    As I have said repeatedly and you are not comprehending, I dont give a crap about Standby time. The Only Thing that matters is how long I can use my phone with the screen on or talking or streaming or using the GPS. For the two second it takes to check my battery and slide down the notification screen I can See and Act on Several Things at the same time vs the Notox which tells me the time and most recent notification. If i was anal retentive like all you new Moto-x disciples, and checked it every 10 mins, I would still use less battery than having it displayed constantly. Truthfully, I can count on one hand the amount of times i fired up my phone to check the time or for notifications I hadn't already been made aware of. If my phone is out, it's being used, When it's not it's because the battery is drained which is after 2.5 to 3.5 hours. All your posts have proven is that you can't differentiate between Phone usage and looking at a pretty paperweight with a digi clock on it.
    "That means that with the same actual usage of a Moto X, because you don't need to constantly turn on the phone to manage your life you will end up with a much longer lasting battery even if you have the exact same usage between devices."
    Actually, that means with the same Actual Usage, Bost phones will be dead at the same time! Usage means usage, Not standby
    08-30-2013 03:53 PM
    I've only had my Verizon Moto X for a few hours now but my experience has been quite good. First off I have been at work all day, this building basically obliterates every single Verizon phone anyone here uses....I'm talking iPhones, Android, Blackberry, etc... My phone has been switching on and off from 4G, 3G and 1x data which is normal here but really drains any battery so I feel this is a good "worst case scenario" test for my new phone. Now that said I'm also on my first charge and didn't really allow much time to charge after it hit 100%. With wifi off all day, running some benchmarks and showing off "OK Google Now", here are my results.

I have 48% of my battery left, 4hrs 55min on battery, 1hr 3min of voice calls and 1hr 33min of on screen time.

Now this is actually equal if not better than my Bionic was with the extended battery at this location. I am personally very happy at this point with the phone.
    08-30-2013 04:15 PM
    I posted actual screen shots in response to previous posts made by you showing screen on time of over 5 hours. Guess you have selectively ignored those.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    08-30-2013 04:34 PM
    And then you told us you have disabled all the new features.
    " I don't have the always on voice recognition, active notifications and assist running all the time, either. I've also done some battery life optimization with limiting syncing."
    Googlerola Claimed 24 hours of Mixed Usage with everything enabled. So what's your point? The fact that their "Mixed Usage" includes 20+ Hours of standby is just gravy!
    I didn't disable them, they don't exist on my S4. That particular screen shot shows that the Moto X gets at least as good of battery as an S4, but with a bunch of other stuff turned on. My guess is that he just grabbed the phone and started using it rather than trying to optimize his battery use like I did with my S4. If I had continuous voice activation on my battery would be dead at that point. Also, 20 hours of standby and 4 hours of screen time with all of the location, continuous voice, active notifications and the activity monitor running is extremely good battery life. I'm not aware of any other phone besides the other, new Motorolas, that can do that. Heck, 20 hours of standby and 4 hours of screen time is still pretty good even with that stuff off.

You may not care about idle time functionality, but that isn't universal. The thing that sets these new Motorola phones apart is how much extra functionality you get while the phone is idle. Instead of being a lump that you have to carry around for 14 hours just so you can use it for 2 hours, you get something that has the potential to be much more useful for a much larger percent of the day.

"To get super high screen time on any phone you have to use it a lot. The more you use the screen the more screen time you'll get. " I have no idea WTF you are talking about there, Again I didnt buy a phone to leave it in standby.
    I explained it in the rest of the post you conveniently neglected to "quote." Your phone will use battery while idle. The more battery your phone uses while idle, the less there is for the screen. So to maximize the amount of screen time you get you have to minimize the idle time. To do that you have to use the phone more. So using the screen more will give you a longer screen on time. Whether you personally care about the idle time functionality is meaningless. It changes nothing about how phones use batteries.

If you don't care about idle time functionality then why are you even looking at posts about a phone that's specifically designed to give more idle time functionality with less battery usage?
    roadkizzle and GadgetGator like this.
    08-30-2013 05:01 PM
    @somfw
    You again are ignoring the critical component. Many reviewers (who were not paid by Motorola even though they WERE loaned their phones for a few weeks) remarked on the amazingly low idle battery drain rate. This DOES directly impact the longevity of the battery life of a phone and will DIRECTLY determine whether your phone will make it to the end of the day when you don't need it anymore.

As my illustration attempted to show, if the sub processors do handle the sensors and standby processing work then the phones battery will only be draining substantially when you actually need to use the phone.

A stock GNex is draining battery at a substantial rate throughout the day because even when standby it's having to monitor itself, the network, and perform any background syncing required. From testers it appears that these functions are handled by the contextual processor leading to a substantially reduced idle time drain letting you save your actual battery usage for when the screen is on.

YOU may run your phones battery to the ground whenever you decide to actually use it if you only ever browse on it for many hours in a row, but if you spread the browsing out throughout the day you'd find that the Moto X probably will give you more flexibility on how long you can actually use it.

BOTH the standby usage and the screen on usage matters in the grand-scheme of having a usable personal communications device because you don't have your screen on 100% of the time that it is off the charger, if you can have no battery usage when you don't need your phone then you will still have it when you do need it.
    08-30-2013 05:11 PM
    If you don't care about idle time functionality then why are you even looking at posts about a phone that's specifically designed to give more idle time functionality with less battery usage?
    Oh, he's just having fun trolling.

He's probably a reincarnation of that Jeremy_Collins somebody that was having fun trolling the Rant thread about the sd card usage.
    08-30-2013 05:15 PM
    BOTH the standby usage and the screen on usage matters in the grand-scheme of having a usable personal communications device because you don't have your screen on 100% of the time that it is off the charger, if you can have no battery usage when you don't need your phone then you will still have it when you do need it.
    Yep. Idle time is very important unless you only want to use your phone fresh off the charger. Getting 4 hours of screen time right after you've finished charging is way different than getting it after 12 hours of idle.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    08-30-2013 05:45 PM
    I don't understand how people are getting so much more battery life than me. I guess I just use my phone more? I only have 2.5 hours of screen on time (with pretty low brightness) for the second picture below (they're taken from two different days). Far from 24 hours. Even though it doesn't really get all the way through the day, I'm not really worried about it now. But in a year and a half, the battery probably won't hold as much of a charge.
    Attached Thumbnails Moto X Battery Life-2013-08-29-23.11.16.png   Moto X Battery Life-2013-08-30-21.49.38.png  
    08-30-2013 09:53 PM
    First day, everything on, youtube, games,taking pictures and movies inside and out about 1/2 wifi and 1/2 LTE. Using google now a lot and even drove using GPS for about 20 minutes. Actually I am running this thing as hard as I can and harder than I usually would for sure. Was going to compare it to my iPhone 5 but this kind of punishment would have killed it by now. This could easily be 8 hours of screen time on a single charge. I'm very impressed and this is right out of the box.

Attachment 78779
    Attached Thumbnails Moto X Battery Life-screenshot_2013-08-30-20-47-55.png  
    08-30-2013 10:02 PM
    Still Not getting it! Keep drinking Googlerola's Kool-aide
    So you don't even have a Moto x and yet you are telling us how great they are! Sounds like you have a future in Paid for Reviewing.

I didn't neglect anything , I didn't quote it because it's just nonsense, But I will quote more now
    "The thing that sets these new Motorola phones apart is how much extra functionality you get while the phone is idle. Instead of being a lump that you have to carry around for 14 hours just so you can use it for 2 hours, you get something that has the potential to be much more useful for a much larger percent of the day"

Sorry, I see no functionality in having a clock on the outside of my phone, or having it display (Only) the most recent notification. My "wanted" notifications alert me as they come in, with a custom sound of my choosing and are then acted upon. Talk about hands off! I don't have to take it out of my pocket or turn it over to know when an alert comes in, like you will have to do with your moto x , if you ever get one, that is! Then again you are so enamored with the idea of a paperweight with a clock , you will probably just stare at it for 24 hours. As for the Always Listening Google Now, it' Is just another useless gimmick, Personally I see no value in Any part of Google now, whatsoever and have it disabled. Add to that, the fact that if Fully enabled, it Kills the battery on my Gnex and Nearly everything it does is just a duplication of what is available elsewhere in Android. So to me, having it All always listening ( low power chip or not) is just one more added battery drain. The he "Ok Google Now" Parlor Trick will be fun for some for a few days, but i'm sure most people will tire of it fairly quickly.

" Your phone will use battery while idle. The more battery your phone uses while idle, the less there is for the screen. So to maximize the amount of screen time you get you have to minimize the idle time. To do that you have to use the phone more. So using the screen more will give you a longer screen on time."

This makes as little sense as the first time your tried it. Do you even understand what point you are trying to make? All Androids use phone when idle. If you think the Moto x with all it's Always on Features and gimmicks (To me) will use less than a phone that has none of them, then Good luck. You are right about one thing though, Standby time changes nothing about how a phone use's it's battery! Thanks for making my point.
    Once again I use my Phone, idle time means nothing to me, Only actual screen on time or use time whether with GPS, Calls or streaming , is the only thing that matters. My phone is in use nearly constantly with one of the above. If my phone gets 3 hours of screen on, or some combination of that and talk, streaming or mapping time, it's because it's been off the charger for not much longer. I swap my battery once a day and usually still need some additional charging time. Standby is meaningless.

"If you don't care about idle time functionality then why are you even looking at posts about a phone that's specifically designed to give more idle time functionality with less battery usage?"
    The moto x was Not designed and is Not being marketed for more idle time, It is being marketed for it's Usage time!. You are allowing the Intentionally misleading, Madison Avenue created wording of "24 Hours of mixed usage" to do what it was intended to do. give Googlerola an escape goat, by claiming it also includes standby time. Sorry, but Usage means Useage. All they had to do was add the word Standby to their claim of "24 Hours of Mixed Usage" ("24 Hours of Mixed Usage and standby"), or something similar and this all would be a non-issue. Instead, They chose to, intentionally mislead everyone. Instead of ranting about how great standby time is for those of you who don't have a watch or just like to carry a phone but not actually use it. You should direct all your praise to google and thank them for making you a paperweight with a built in clock that will last at least 24 Hours.
    08-31-2013 01:29 AM
    Roadkizzle;
    Sounds like the Troll is you. What part of I use my phone and don't care about standby time don't you get?
    All the reviewers were paid in one way or another, be it free phones or a paycheck, get your facts straight,

"As my illustration attempted to show, if the sub processors do handle the sensors and standby processing work then the phones battery will only be draining substantially when you actually need to use the phone".

Like I said, the Moto X's battery, for actual USE is no better than any Android before it, except the Maxx's. Thanks for making my point!
    Apparently, unlike you and the others, I use My phone nearly constantly, either talking, reading, streaming, GPS activities. or some combination of them all. To me, Standby is meaningless. In my avg. of 3 to 3.5 hours of actual use time on my Gnex, The total off charger is always 4 hours or less. Which means some charging and one battery swap every day and that gets me through the work day Only.
    08-31-2013 01:59 AM
    The unpaid reviewers and are claiming as little as 3 hours of Screen on Time ( The only stat that matters) on brand new batteries. Which is a disgrace. My Gnex does better then that and the battery is two years old.
    How's this for an unpaid review:
    I paid attention to the battery drain last night while doing constant gaming, web browsing, messing with Facebook, downloading some apps and some texting. I used 20% of the battery in about 90 minutes. My Nexus would have died completely from a 100% charge had I used it in the same manner; it would literally lose about 1% per minute of screen-on time (and sometimes even a little faster than that).
    Pollster likes this.
    08-31-2013 08:19 AM
    Roadkizzle;
    Sounds like the Troll is you. What part of I use my phone and don't care about standby time don't you get?
    All the reviewers were paid in one way or another, be it free phones or a paycheck, get your facts straight,

"As my illustration attempted to show, if the sub processors do handle the sensors and standby processing work then the phones battery will only be draining substantially when you actually need to use the phone".

Like I said, the Moto X's battery, for actual USE is no better than any Android before it, except the Maxx's. Thanks for making my point!
    Apparently, unlike you and the others, I use My phone nearly constantly, either talking, reading, streaming, GPS activities. or some combination of them all. To me, Standby is meaningless. In my avg. of 3 to 3.5 hours of actual use time on my Gnex, The total off charger is always 4 hours or less. Which means some charging and one battery swap every day and that gets me through the work day Only.
    Do you actually work at work? What do you do work where you are "nearly constantly" using that phone?

When I go to work, I work three 12 hour shifts a week. Those 12 hours, I work for 11.5 of them. I can occasionally use my phone for all of the above, because the rest of the time, I am WORKING at work.

Of course, if your phone is glued to your hand for 4 straight hours, and that screen is on, and the GPS antennae is working, and data is flowing, then no phone will last. For that kind of use, you need a laptop.

These phones are not meant to be screen on 24/7 and games running 24/7 and music streaming 24/7.

These are menat to listen to music some of the day, make some calls, send some texts, and check your social networks. There isn't a phone on earth that can run the way you describe it, for more than a few hours.
    08-31-2013 09:15 AM
    Do you actually work at work? What do you do work where you are "nearly constantly" using that phone?

When I go to work, I work three 12 hour shifts a week. Those 12 hours, I work for 11.5 of them. I can occasionally use my phone for all of the above, because the rest of the time, I am WORKING at work.

Of course, if your phone is glued to your hand for 4 straight hours, and that screen is on, and the GPS antennae is working, and data is flowing, then no phone will last. For that kind of use, you need a laptop.

These phones are not meant to be screen on 24/7 and games running 24/7 and music streaming 24/7.

These are menat to listen to music some of the day, make some calls, send some texts, and check your social networks. There isn't a phone on earth that can run the way you describe it, for more than a few hours.
    Actually this is not true. A Maxx could easily last under these conditions. The maxx that I had could out last two full charges of my 2012 macbook pro and have quite a bit left.

~ Sent from my Moto X ~
    08-31-2013 09:19 AM
    I'm not a paid reviewer - in fact - I just paid Motorola $1,300 for two Moto X phones. Best purchase I've made, and one that I made BECAUSE of the active notifications and the fact that when I pull the freaking phone out of my pocket it gives me the time without me having to do anything else! It's the small things that count - and Motorola nailed this one out the park. Battery life? That's just an added bonus.
    08-31-2013 09:55 AM
    Agreed.

~ Sent from my Moto X ~
    08-31-2013 09:57 AM
    Actually this is not true. A Maxx could easily last under these conditions. The maxx that I had could out last two full charges of my 2012 macbook pro and have quite a bit left.

~ Sent from my Moto X ~
    No it can't. Maxx can get what 8 hours of screen time? That would last the above poster 1 shift at "work". My point stands. If you use your phone like a laptop, the battery will not last.
    08-31-2013 10:02 AM
    No it can't. Maxx can get what 8 hours of screen time? That would last the above poster 1 shift at "work". My point stands. If you use your phone like a laptop, the battery will not last.
    Wrong again. My maxx was doing 12+ hours of screen time and it still had plenty left. Heck I did 4 hours on my first moto x charge with 50% left.....

~ Sent from my Moto X ~
    08-31-2013 10:08 AM
    Roadkizzle;
    ACTUALLY, all the professional Moto X reviewers have already had to return their review phones. The ones that are tech lovers or who were won over by the phones capabilities have actually purchased one themselves or their actual employer purchases one for them.

They weren't paid by Motorola via money or free phones.

That said, you are apparently a one of a kind smartphone user who really doesn't seem to have a job, a life, or in school. For all other people who actually have responsibilities they cannot be on their phone 24/7 and the Moto X will last longer into the day than any other comparative phone.

It looks like you will need a phone like the Droid Maxx which should be the king of battery life even when looking only at screen on time.

The standby time is an important piece of the puzzle for all users EXCEPT for you, and that's fine. You just must be aware that your usage patterns are representative of about .01% of the entire smartphone using population and must stop being so insulting to everyone else who is just trying to be helpful to their fellow humans.
    GadgetGator, slave and shrugger like this.
    08-31-2013 11:14 AM
    ACTUALLY, all the professional Moto X reviewers have already had to return their review phones. The ones that are tech lovers or who were won over by the phones capabilities have actually purchased one themselves or their actual employer purchases one for them.

They weren't paid by Motorola via money or free phones.

That said, you are apparently a one of a kind smartphone user who really doesn't seem to have a job, a life, or in school. For all other people who actually have responsibilities they cannot be on their phone 24/7 and the Moto X will last longer into the day than any other comparative phone.

It looks like you will need a phone like the Droid Maxx which should be the king of battery life even when looking only at screen on time.

The standby time is an important piece of the puzzle for all users EXCEPT for you, and that's fine. You just must be aware that your usage patterns are representative of about .01% of the entire smartphone using population and must stop being so insulting to everyone else who is just trying to be helpful to their fellow humans.
    Yeah, for sure. Stand by time is what most of these phones should be using. I don't know how people can pay bills when they are using the phone 6+ hours a day. I mean, even kids in high school need sleep, and should be in school.

How can people complain about battery time when they expect the screen to stay lit up for 12 hours on a charge, while online, streaming and gaming.
    08-31-2013 12:54 PM
    Yeah, for sure. Stand by time is what most of these phones should be using. I don't know how people can pay bills when they are using the phone 6+ hours a day. I mean, even kids in high school need sleep, and should be in school.

How can people complain about battery time when they expect the screen to stay lit up for 12 hours on a charge, while online, streaming and gaming.
    May be the screen time is over two days....although I'm sure that you have an excuse for that not happening to working folk either, right?

~ Sent from my Moto X ~
    08-31-2013 12:58 PM
445 12345 ...