Moto X Battery Life

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
BOTH the standby usage and the screen on usage matters in the grand-scheme of having a usable personal communications device because you don't have your screen on 100% of the time that it is off the charger, if you can have no battery usage when you don't need your phone then you will still have it when you do need it.
Yep. Idle time is very important unless you only want to use your phone fresh off the charger. Getting 4 hours of screen time right after you've finished charging is way different than getting it after 12 hours of idle.

Slusho64

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand how people are getting so much more battery life than me. I guess I just use my phone more? I only have 2.5 hours of screen on time (with pretty low brightness) for the second picture below (they're taken from two different days). Far from 24 hours. Even though it doesn't really get all the way through the day, I'm not really worried about it now. But in a year and a half, the battery probably won't hold as much of a charge.

Attachments

• 2013-08-29 23.11.16.png
    2013-08-29 23.11.16.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 2013-08-30 21.49.38.png
    2013-08-30 21.49.38.png
    140.9 KB · Views: 101

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
First day, everything on, youtube, games,taking pictures and movies inside and out about 1/2 wifi and 1/2 LTE. Using google now a lot and even drove using GPS for about 20 minutes. Actually I am running this thing as hard as I can and harder than I usually would for sure. Was going to compare it to my iPhone 5 but this kind of punishment would have killed it by now. This could easily be 8 hours of screen time on a single charge. I'm very impressed and this is right out of the box.

View attachment 78779

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-30-20-47-55.png
    Screenshot_2013-08-30-20-47-55.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

somfw

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Still Not getting it! Keep drinking Googlerola's Kool-aide
So you don't even have a Moto x and yet you are telling us how great they are! Sounds like you have a future in Paid for Reviewing.

I didn't neglect anything , I didn't quote it because it's just nonsense, But I will quote more now
"The thing that sets these new Motorola phones apart is how much extra functionality you get while the phone is idle. Instead of being a lump that you have to carry around for 14 hours just so you can use it for 2 hours, you get something that has the potential to be much more useful for a much larger percent of the day"

Sorry, I see no functionality in having a clock on the outside of my phone, or having it display (Only) the most recent notification. My "wanted" notifications alert me as they come in, with a custom sound of my choosing and are then acted upon. Talk about hands off! I don't have to take it out of my pocket or turn it over to know when an alert comes in, like you will have to do with your moto x , if you ever get one, that is! Then again you are so enamored with the idea of a paperweight with a clock , you will probably just stare at it for 24 hours. As for the Always Listening Google Now, it' Is just another useless gimmick, Personally I see no value in Any part of Google now, whatsoever and have it disabled. Add to that, the fact that if Fully enabled, it Kills the battery on my Gnex and Nearly everything it does is just a duplication of what is available elsewhere in Android. So to me, having it All always listening ( low power chip or not) is just one more added battery drain. The he "Ok Google Now" Parlor Trick will be fun for some for a few days, but i'm sure most people will tire of it fairly quickly.

" Your phone will use battery while idle. The more battery your phone uses while idle, the less there is for the screen. So to maximize the amount of screen time you get you have to minimize the idle time. To do that you have to use the phone more. So using the screen more will give you a longer screen on time."

This makes as little sense as the first time your tried it. Do you even understand what point you are trying to make? All Androids use phone when idle. If you think the Moto x with all it's Always on Features and gimmicks (To me) will use less than a phone that has none of them, then Good luck. You are right about one thing though, Standby time changes nothing about how a phone use's it's battery! Thanks for making my point.
Once again I use my Phone, idle time means nothing to me, Only actual screen on time or use time whether with GPS, Calls or streaming , is the only thing that matters. My phone is in use nearly constantly with one of the above. If my phone gets 3 hours of screen on, or some combination of that and talk, streaming or mapping time, it's because it's been off the charger for not much longer. I swap my battery once a day and usually still need some additional charging time. Standby is meaningless.

"If you don't care about idle time functionality then why are you even looking at posts about a phone that's specifically designed to give more idle time functionality with less battery usage?"
The moto x was Not designed and is Not being marketed for more idle time, It is being marketed for it's Usage time!. You are allowing the Intentionally misleading, Madison Avenue created wording of "24 Hours of mixed usage" to do what it was intended to do. give Googlerola an escape goat, by claiming it also includes standby time. Sorry, but Usage means Useage. All they had to do was add the word Standby to their claim of "24 Hours of Mixed Usage" ("24 Hours of Mixed Usage and standby"), or something similar and this all would be a non-issue. Instead, They chose to, intentionally mislead everyone. Instead of ranting about how great standby time is for those of you who don't have a watch or just like to carry a phone but not actually use it. You should direct all your praise to google and thank them for making you a paperweight with a built in clock that will last at least 24 Hours.

Last edited:

somfw

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Roadkizzle;
Sounds like the Troll is you. What part of I use my phone and don't care about standby time don't you get?
All the reviewers were paid in one way or another, be it free phones or a paycheck, get your facts straight,

"As my illustration attempted to show, if the sub processors do handle the sensors and standby processing work then the phones battery will only be draining substantially when you actually need to use the phone".

Like I said, the Moto X's battery, for actual USE is no better than any Android before it, except the Maxx's. Thanks for making my point!
Apparently, unlike you and the others, I use My phone nearly constantly, either talking, reading, streaming, GPS activities. or some combination of them all. To me, Standby is meaningless. In my avg. of 3 to 3.5 hours of actual use time on my Gnex, The total off charger is always 4 hours or less. Which means some charging and one battery swap every day and that gets me through the work day Only.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
The unpaid reviewers and are claiming as little as 3 hours of Screen on Time ( The only stat that matters) on brand new batteries. Which is a disgrace. My Gnex does better then that and the battery is two years old.

How's this for an unpaid review:
I paid attention to the battery drain last night while doing constant gaming, web browsing, messing with Facebook, downloading some apps and some texting. I used 20% of the battery in about 90 minutes. My Nexus would have died completely from a 100% charge had I used it in the same manner; it would literally lose about 1% per minute of screen-on time (and sometimes even a little faster than that).

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Roadkizzle;
Sounds like the Troll is you. What part of I use my phone and don't care about standby time don't you get?
All the reviewers were paid in one way or another, be it free phones or a paycheck, get your facts straight,

"As my illustration attempted to show, if the sub processors do handle the sensors and standby processing work then the phones battery will only be draining substantially when you actually need to use the phone".

Like I said, the Moto X's battery, for actual USE is no better than any Android before it, except the Maxx's. Thanks for making my point!
Apparently, unlike you and the others, I use My phone nearly constantly, either talking, reading, streaming, GPS activities. or some combination of them all. To me, Standby is meaningless. In my avg. of 3 to 3.5 hours of actual use time on my Gnex, The total off charger is always 4 hours or less. Which means some charging and one battery swap every day and that gets me through the work day Only.

Do you actually work at work? What do you do work where you are "nearly constantly" using that phone?

When I go to work, I work three 12 hour shifts a week. Those 12 hours, I work for 11.5 of them. I can occasionally use my phone for all of the above, because the rest of the time, I am WORKING at work.

Of course, if your phone is glued to your hand for 4 straight hours, and that screen is on, and the GPS antennae is working, and data is flowing, then no phone will last. For that kind of use, you need a laptop.

These phones are not meant to be screen on 24/7 and games running 24/7 and music streaming 24/7.

These are menat to listen to music some of the day, make some calls, send some texts, and check your social networks. There isn't a phone on earth that can run the way you describe it, for more than a few hours.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Do you actually work at work? What do you do work where you are "nearly constantly" using that phone?

When I go to work, I work three 12 hour shifts a week. Those 12 hours, I work for 11.5 of them. I can occasionally use my phone for all of the above, because the rest of the time, I am WORKING at work.

Of course, if your phone is glued to your hand for 4 straight hours, and that screen is on, and the GPS antennae is working, and data is flowing, then no phone will last. For that kind of use, you need a laptop.

These phones are not meant to be screen on 24/7 and games running 24/7 and music streaming 24/7.

These are menat to listen to music some of the day, make some calls, send some texts, and check your social networks. There isn't a phone on earth that can run the way you describe it, for more than a few hours.

Actually this is not true. A Maxx could easily last under these conditions. The maxx that I had could out last two full charges of my 2012 macbook pro and have quite a bit left.

~ Sent from my Moto X ~

wxmancanada

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a paid reviewer - in fact - I just paid Motorola $1,300 for two Moto X phones. Best purchase I've made, and one that I made BECAUSE of the active notifications and the fact that when I pull the freaking phone out of my pocket it gives me the time without me having to do anything else! It's the small things that count - and Motorola nailed this one out the park. Battery life? That's just an added bonus.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Actually this is not true. A Maxx could easily last under these conditions. The maxx that I had could out last two full charges of my 2012 macbook pro and have quite a bit left.

~ Sent from my Moto X ~
No it can't. Maxx can get what 8 hours of screen time? That would last the above poster 1 shift at "work". My point stands. If you use your phone like a laptop, the battery will not last.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
No it can't. Maxx can get what 8 hours of screen time? That would last the above poster 1 shift at "work". My point stands. If you use your phone like a laptop, the battery will not last.

Wrong again. My maxx was doing 12+ hours of screen time and it still had plenty left. Heck I did 4 hours on my first moto x charge with 50% left.....

~ Sent from my Moto X ~

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Roadkizzle;

ACTUALLY, all the professional Moto X reviewers have already had to return their review phones. The ones that are tech lovers or who were won over by the phones capabilities have actually purchased one themselves or their actual employer purchases one for them.

They weren't paid by Motorola via money or free phones.

That said, you are apparently a one of a kind smartphone user who really doesn't seem to have a job, a life, or in school. For all other people who actually have responsibilities they cannot be on their phone 24/7 and the Moto X will last longer into the day than any other comparative phone.

It looks like you will need a phone like the Droid Maxx which should be the king of battery life even when looking only at screen on time.

The standby time is an important piece of the puzzle for all users EXCEPT for you, and that's fine. You just must be aware that your usage patterns are representative of about .01% of the entire smartphone using population and must stop being so insulting to everyone else who is just trying to be helpful to their fellow humans.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
ACTUALLY, all the professional Moto X reviewers have already had to return their review phones. The ones that are tech lovers or who were won over by the phones capabilities have actually purchased one themselves or their actual employer purchases one for them.

They weren't paid by Motorola via money or free phones.

That said, you are apparently a one of a kind smartphone user who really doesn't seem to have a job, a life, or in school. For all other people who actually have responsibilities they cannot be on their phone 24/7 and the Moto X will last longer into the day than any other comparative phone.

It looks like you will need a phone like the Droid Maxx which should be the king of battery life even when looking only at screen on time.

The standby time is an important piece of the puzzle for all users EXCEPT for you, and that's fine. You just must be aware that your usage patterns are representative of about .01% of the entire smartphone using population and must stop being so insulting to everyone else who is just trying to be helpful to their fellow humans.

Yeah, for sure. Stand by time is what most of these phones should be using. I don't know how people can pay bills when they are using the phone 6+ hours a day. I mean, even kids in high school need sleep, and should be in school.

How can people complain about battery time when they expect the screen to stay lit up for 12 hours on a charge, while online, streaming and gaming.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, for sure. Stand by time is what most of these phones should be using. I don't know how people can pay bills when they are using the phone 6+ hours a day. I mean, even kids in high school need sleep, and should be in school.

How can people complain about battery time when they expect the screen to stay lit up for 12 hours on a charge, while online, streaming and gaming.

May be the screen time is over two days....although I'm sure that you have an excuse for that not happening to working folk either, right?

~ Sent from my Moto X ~

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Somfw...why do you have this much time to troll and offer up very long opinions? Don't get the phone if you don't like it. Why has this guy not been silenced?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
on my first day which was yesterday, on my first full charge i got about 1 hr on screen time with heavy use lol.

wow, these batteries seem so inconsistent. if it's not better by day 3 i'd exchange. or maybe even call moto support after your next day with it.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I got 5 hours of screen time on the first day. I plugged it in for about 20 minutes to load some music and unload some pics. My Galaxy Nexus could never have achieved that!

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I got 5 hours of screen time on the first day. I plugged it in for about 20 minutes to load some music and unload some pics. My Galaxy Nexus could never have achieved that!

I've been getting 5 hours on screen time and 20-24 hours total time each of the last 3 days.

Sent from my Moto X