09-03-2013 07:12 PM
621 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Oh I did. Ah I'm tired of explaining things without you're intelligence being able to comprehend what I'm saying. I'm done talking to you

Sent from my SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
    I'm tired too explaining things without you're intelligence being able to comprehend what I'm saying.
    08-26-2013 07:41 PM
    It was not only designed for battery life. It was also designed for form factor, which is the advantage in not having to have space for huge batteries. The hardware was also designed to allow for the implementation of services that would otherwise consume too much power to be provided usefully.

All of these design decisions are trade offs. I like the tradeoffs more on the X than on the S4 and HTC One.

Posted via Android Central App
    Yeah, it was designed for all of those things like you said. I don't think the tradeoff is worth it, but we all have different opinions. I care about specs more than these things

08-26-2013 07:43 PM
    I'm tired too explaining things without you're intelligence being able to comprehend what I'm saying.
    See, you couldn't even come up with your own comeback.

And still1 boards the fail train! Choo Choo!

08-26-2013 07:44 PM
    Oh I guarantee I'm getting in trouble with the mods for this, but: JungleLarry you wanna continue being a smart-***? Or enjoy the site like everyone else?
    I would love nothing more than to enjoy this site, but you make it awfully difficult. This thread is full of really great information on the hardware of this phone, and this forum is also full of equally good information regarding its performance cited by expert reviewers, tech junkies, and common users alike. Even the anecdotal evidence provided by people who actually own this phone carries more weight than your argument, which is based purely on hypotheticals created in the mind of someone who just doesn't fully grasp what's going on.

I have no reason to defend the Moto X or any of its components. I'm not an employee of Motorola nor do I owe the company anything aside from a critical eye. That being said, I've owned the Galaxy S3 and have used both the HTC One and Galaxy S4 extensively. Hell, I gave them as gifts. I think they're great and they definitely have their attractive qualities. But I've also used the Moto X, and in my limited time with it I thought it was fantastic. The screen you so eloquently disregarded as a "fail" (despite not having any real evidence) is actually really good. The camera also surprised me by how not-awful it was, and believe me...I am probably the biggest critic of the Moto X camera here. Have you used the phone? Do you have any experience with it? What are your thoughts?

Given your responses, it's easy to assume that you have no practical foundation from which to criticize the Moto X. If that's incorrect, please tell me. It seems like you're just another spec-head who can't get over the fact that this phone may not sport eye-popping numbers. If that's the perspective you're going to use to continue this argument, then you're wrong. And that's okay. You have every right to be wrong. But when every shred of decent evidence is presented to you to the contrary, and every observation and real-world test is cited to show you that what you believe to be true actually isn't, and you sit there there with your fingers in your ears spouting the same nonsense we've had to beat down since this phone was officially released....I'm not going to pretend to enjoy it.
    08-26-2013 07:45 PM
    See, you couldn't even come up with your own comeback.

And still1 boards the fail train! Choo Choo!

you said you are done talking with me but yet you replied.

if you want to play with train ask you mommy kid
    08-26-2013 07:46 PM
    Oh of course it is, I'm not saying the screen is bad at all. But seriously, if the technology exists to make it look sharper why not use it? They want the same amount of money for something that does have upgraded specs? I say Noooooo to that. I'm not saying the device is bad either, seriously you guys are warping my words. I'm pretty sure this thread is "rant on specs", or am I in the wrong place?

Easy. Look at The Epic Citadel benchmarks released. The S4 with the same GPU as the Moto X with a 1080p screen does the benchmark at 40fps. The Moto X does it in 720p at nearly 60fps.

Using the 720p screen is about performance, power, and efficiency. Better performance, lower power usage, and more efficiency. The trade off? A lower resolution that barely anyone can notice the difference between 720p vs 1080p.. For 20 FPS less performance. For less battery life.
    TheLibertarian likes this.
    08-26-2013 07:49 PM
    I think some users would give up a 1080p display if they were told they could get an extra 2-3 hours of screen time out of a 720p one.

Which the theme battery life in part was one of the biggest design points of this phone.
    I think this dead horse is pretty much beaten.

Sent from my humble S4
    Paisley likes this.
    I would love nothing more than to enjoy this site, but you make it awfully difficult. This thread is full of really great information on the hardware of this phone, and this forum is also full of equally good information regarding its performance cited by expert reviewers, tech junkies, and common users alike. Even the anecdotal evidence provided by people who actually own this phone carries more weight than your argument, which is based purely on hypotheticals created in the mind of someone who just doesn't fully grasp what's going on.

I have no reason to defend the Moto X or any of its components. I'm not an employee of Motorola nor do I owe the company anything aside from a critical eye. That being said, I've owned the Galaxy S3 and have used both the HTC One and Galaxy S4 extensively. Hell, I gave them as gifts. I think they're great and they definitely have their attractive qualities. But I've also used the Moto X, and in my limited time with it I thought it was fantastic. The screen you so eloquently disregarded as a "fail" (despite not having any real evidence) is actually really good. The camera also surprised me by how not-awful it was, and believe me...I am probably the biggest critic of the Moto X camera here. Have you used the phone? Do you have any experience with it? What are your thoughts?

Given your responses, it's easy to assume that you have no practical foundation from which to criticize the Moto X. If that's incorrect, please tell me. It seems like you're just another spec-head who can't get over the fact that this phone may not sport eye-popping numbers. If that's the perspective you're going to use to continue this argument, then you're wrong. And that's okay. You have every right to be wrong. But when every shred of decent evidence is presented to you to the contrary, and every observation and real-world test is cited to show you that what you believe to be true actually isn't, and you sit there there with your fingers in your ears spouting the same nonsense we've had to beat down since this phone was officially released....I'm not going to pretend to enjoy it.
    I will say I have used the phone, therefore I can rant on its qualities and specs seeing I know the issues with it. And I'm certainly not the only one to criticize this phone. Do a Google search for "Moto X disappoints" and you will find a few articles about its issues. It's a phone, a good phone, but nothing that excites. It's like ios for example, it works but it's not amazing.

08-26-2013 07:52 PM
    Easy. Look at The Epic Citadel benchmarks released. The S4 with the same GPU as the Moto X with a 1080p screen does the benchmark at 40fps. The Moto X does it in 720p at nearly 60fps.

Using the 720p screen is about performance, power, and efficiency. Better performance, lower power usage, and more efficiency. The trade off? A lower resolution that barely anyone can notice the difference between 720p vs 1080p.. For 20 FPS less performance. For less battery life.
    Okay, I'll give you that. But that's about the only place where the moto x comes close to competing with the s4 or the HTC one. And no 1080p can be noticed, I won't give you that

08-26-2013 07:54 PM
    you said you are done talking with me but yet you replied.

if you want to play with train ask you mommy kid
    I'm sorry if I broke my promise, I just had to point out how pathetic it was that you stole my exact words

08-26-2013 07:56 PM
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7235/moto-x-review/11

At least read that page.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
    Aquila likes this.
    08-26-2013 07:58 PM
    You mean other than being faster (opening apps, searching, traversing the ui), smoother and much more battery efficient, while at the same time providing more features for general use and a better software experience?

Nexus. Through spacetime.
    08-26-2013 07:58 PM

At least read that page.

I'm not saying some people didn't give it a good review, I'm saying when it was announced a lot of people (me included) were disappointed

08-26-2013 08:00 PM

At least read that page.

One of the best breakdowns of spec decisions to end user experiences available to us. :thumbup:

08-26-2013 08:02 PM
    You mean other than being faster (opening apps, searching, traversing the ui), smoother and much more battery efficient, while at the same time providing more features for general use and a better software experience?

No, I didn't mean that. It doesn't do any of those things faster than the HTC one or Galaxy s4. I mean really? The s4 rocks a processor clocked at 1.9 ghz. The Moto can't compete with that power. Yes, the moto x has a high clock but the Galaxy s4 is higher. I've used the moto x and a updated galaxy s4 side by side, the Galaxy s4 did better

08-26-2013 08:03 PM
    X8 doesn't mean anything. It's just marketing jargon to make it sound new and exciting. The graphics they showed were also false advertising
    Dude, it's all marketting Jargon. You don't explain thing using technical speak, because only we nerds understand it. You are just flat out wrong here. Moto took 1 part, that is less than a year old, added more stuff to it, configured it a new way and improved it.

Here is a news flash, DDR has been around for 6 years. PC people still use it. Why? Because it works, very well. Do we ***** that we are getting 2006 parts? Well, no. Why? because they didn't need to invent the wheel. It's okay to use existing parts, optimize them, and make them sing.
    08-26-2013 08:06 PM
    I'm not saying some people didn't give it a good review, I'm saying when it was announced a lot of people (me included) were disappointed

So was Brian. Until he used it for a lengthy period of time (weeks).

No, I didn't mean that. It doesn't do any of those things faster than the HTC one or Galaxy s4. I mean really? The s4 rocks a processor clocked at 1.9 ghz. The Moto can't compete with that power. Yes, the moto x has a high clock but the Galaxy s4 is higher. I've used the moto x and a updated galaxy s4 side by side, the Galaxy s4 did better

Oh. I haven't done a side by side with the one myself, but several videos showed it getting handily beaten. Real world the moto x smoked the s4 in my test, by a lot. Wonder if there were some settings discrepancies or if one or more of the devices we tested were faulty or not in ideal test conditions. I'm not sure what build Jakes s4 is on. Which update? (Honestly not following s4 news, sorry)

Oh. I haven't done a side by side with the one myself, but several videos showed it getting handily beaten. Real world the moto x smoked the s4 in my test, by a lot. Wonder if there were some settings discrepancies or if one or more of the devices we tested were faulty or not in ideal test conditions. I'm not sure what build Jakes s4 is on. Which update? (Honestly not following s4 news, sorry)

It was the latest available for the AT&T edition, I'm not quite sure the exact firmware number. It wasn't substantially faster, but it opened apps and responded faster for me.

08-26-2013 08:10 PM
    So was Brian. Until he used it for a lengthy period of time (weeks).

I only tested it for a few days, I had it temporarily. It didn't impress me, but it was a good phone. For me, it felt like it lacked features, although I loved the open mic feature

08-26-2013 08:11 PM
    It was the latest available for the AT&T edition, I'm not quite sure the exact firmware number. It wasn't substantially faster, but it opened apps and responded faster for me.

I'm glad they're improving it. My friend's s4 is on us cellular, which is CDMA. I'd be willing to bet he doesn't have the update. I have no problem believing your s4 performs better than his.

08-26-2013 08:12 PM
    Do you mean the guy who copied and pasted a bunch of stuff from Google?

Doesn't mean much. The phone is still running 2012 technology.

None of his long copy pastes erase the fact that the phone has a GPU that was out in 2012. Adreno 320.
    Yup that is exactly who I meant. And did not copy anything from Google, Google is a search engine.

At this point you are arguing semantics and you know it. It is clear the SoC is not a 2012 design, so now you are picking components out. Following your logic, and lack of common sense, it would be easy to say the copper that is used for conductivity is from the last century -- it is true but meaningless.
    Yeah, it was designed for all of those things like you said. I don't think the tradeoff is worth it, but we all have different opinions. I care about specs more than these things

The trade off is horrible battery life vs not being able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 4.7" screen.

Maybe because of storage speed?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7235/moto-x-review/9

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    08-26-2013 08:14 PM
621 ... 89101112 ...