09-03-2013 06:12 PM
621 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    I disagree. You can't say Apple nailed tablets but has a horrible phone OS when the OS is essentially identical between phones and tablets. I'd say it's somewhere in the middle for both. But as for the physical quality of the devices, well, I think that's a different matter for a different discussion.
    Actually I can, using a phone and tablet is different. On such a small screen, it is terrible. But for the ipad and the ipad apps, ios is decent. I personally don't like the ipads, but other people do.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-26-2013 09:18 PM
    Actually I can, using a phone and tablet is different. On such a small screen, it is terrible. But for the ipad and the ipad apps, ios is decent. I personally don't like the ipads, but other people do.

My woman is going to Grad school later this year and they all get iPad 2s. She said she wants to tell them to buy her a Nexus 10 or put the money towards a new laptop instead B)
    Aquila likes this.
    08-26-2013 09:21 PM
    My woman is going to Grad school later this year and they all get iPad 2s. She said she wants to tell them to buy her a Nexus 10 or put the money towards a new laptop instead B)
    Good for her! That's what I would do, I wouldn't use an ipad.

08-26-2013 09:23 PM
    You should stop trying to put words in my mouth.
    ahahaha!! You explained it alright. In a HUMONGOUS post to explain something so simple. You couldn't even write it yourself, you had to copy and paste it from Wiki.

Let me take you to school because you clearly don't understand anything.

This is the way you explain these terms to a person who doesn't know about technology, such as yourself.

SoC = (System on Chip) is exactly what is says, it is one single chip that has all the components necessary to run a computer. What's that? Yes, your smartphone is a computer.

Chipset = You know that phone you bought? On the Box it said "Qualcomm Snapdragon 600"? Go to Qualcomm's Website, go up at the top menu and click where it says "CHIPSETS", those are chipsets. You can also say "chipset" when you talk about desktop motherboards for example, but that's something else. Don't worry about it.

and that's how you explain that to a layman.

Now, cue this guy and all his friend's meltdown on how I'm wrong.

But, anyone with a computer can look it up.
    08-26-2013 09:26 PM
    ahahaha!! You explained it alright. In a HUMONGOUS post to explain something so simple. You couldn't even write it yourself, you had to copy and paste it from Wiki.

This is the way you explain these terms to a person who doesn't know about technology, such as yourself.

SoC = (System on Chip) is exactly what is says, it is one single chip that has all the components necessary to run a computer. What's that? Yes, your smartphone is a computer.

Chipset = You know that phone you bought? On the Box it said "Qualcomm Snapdragon 600"? Go to Qualcomm's Website, go up at the top menu and click where it says "CHIPSETS", those are chipsets. You can also say "chipset" when you talk about desktop motherboards for example, but that's something else. Don't worry about it.

See attachment:

Attachment 78165

Finally. Thank you.

But why did it take so long to come up with that?

Still ignored my question about your device, too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    08-26-2013 09:29 PM

See attachment:

Attachment 78165

Finally

08-26-2013 09:30 PM
    But why did it take so long to come up with that?
    I'm working. I live in Thailand. It's 9:30 in the morning.

Now that you're educated, it doesn't matter which phone I have.

We all now know that:

a) you took 3 paragraphs to describe what I can in 1 sentence, simply.

b) the Moto X has 2012 technology. Albeit, bundled with modern 2013 technology, but that doesn't mean that there is no 2012 technology inside that phone.

Period. End of debate.
    08-26-2013 09:32 PM

We all now know that:

b) the Moto X has 2012 technology. Albeit, bundled with modern 2013 technology, but that doesn't mean that there is no 2012 technology inside that phone.

Period. End of debate.
    Actually, that was more than one sentence. And no need to be so smug about it.

08-26-2013 09:34 PM
    Finally
    But if you remember, your so called "expert" went off the deep end when I used the term "chipset" to talk about the Snapdragon S4 Pro.

and that wasn't even the argument. Chipset, SoC, whatever. People just are talking about all those chips inside that make the phone work. In simple terms, my point was that one of those chips "adreno 320" is 2012 technology. It is PART of that "new" X8 SoC malarky.
    08-26-2013 09:35 PM
    The Chipset vs SoC definition is an argument that I wasn't having.
    Understanding that argument is the entire basis of determining what technology the Moto X is featuring.

And yet in over 100 posts that basic notion still escapes you.

It amazes me you would insult others intelligence based on the nonsense you have spouted this afternoon.
    08-26-2013 09:35 PM
    But if you remember, your so called "expert" went off the deep end when I used the term "chipset" to talk about the Snapdragon S4 Pro.

and that wasn't even the argument. Chipset, SoC, whatever. People just are talking about all those chips inside that make the phone work. In simple terms, my point was that one of those chips "adreno 320" is 2012 technology. It is PART of that "new" X8 SoC malarky.
    I meant finally you typed something reasonable. That makes sense, but even though the old Adreno 320 is on the x8, the x8 is considered new.

08-26-2013 09:37 PM
    So....a chipset is a chipset? Okay, got it.
    08-26-2013 09:38 PM
    Actually, that was more than one sentence. And no need to be so smug about it.

Actually, the truth is, a Chipset in a smartphone is In FACT the SoC.

Take the Snapdragon 800 CHIPSET (even Qualcomm calls it a chipset), what's inside that? The CPU (Krait), the GPU (adreno 330), another CPU "hexagon", has all your connectivity (wifi. 4G all that), handles your multimedia, audio, etc etc.

What is that if not an SoC? Let's not discuss semantics and details. Let's just say, an SoC is in fact the phone's chipset.

But your friend went on a, what now? 8 page rant? to tell me that I don't know the difference between the 2, when in fact they are really the same boloney.

So, what I was saying was that on the Moto X CHIPSET, yes I called it a CHIPSET, sue me, The Krait Cores may be new, but the GPU on that CHIPSET is from 2012. Adreno 320.

Call it an SoC. I don't care. I'm still right.

No carry on.
    08-26-2013 09:44 PM
    I meant finally you typed something reasonable. That makes sense, but even though the old Adreno 320 is on the x8, the x8 is considered new.
    OK. Agreed. Of course it is. There's a lot of new technology there. But again, saying there's nothing 2012 in there is false.
    08-26-2013 09:46 PM
    Actually, the truth is, a Chipset in a smartphone is In FACT the SoC.

Take the Snapdragon 800 CHIPSET (even Qualcomm calls it a chipset), what's inside that? The CPU (Krait), the GPU (adreno 330), another CPU "hexagon", has all your connectivity (wifi. 4G all that), handles your multimedia, audio, etc etc.

What is that if not an SoC? Let's not discuss semantics and details. Let's just say, an SoC is in fact the phone's chipset.

But your friend went on a, what now? 8 page rant? to tell me that I don't know the difference between the 2, when in fact they are really the same boloney.

So, what I was saying was that on the Moto X CHIPSET, yes I called it a CHIPSET, sue me, The Krait Cores may be new, but the GPU on that CHIPSET is from 2012. Adreno 320.

Call it an SoC. I don't care. I'm still right.

No carry on.
    Bloody hell I'm getting tired of this. Okay, let's sort this out now. I honestly don't care if it's a SoC, a chipset, I don't care. And honestly, I don't need to care. However, I know what they are. Whatever, I'm not gonna explain things simply because I'm fed up. Yes, the Adreno 320 existed in 2012, so yes that part is old technically. Now, will you just shut up?

08-26-2013 09:48 PM
    So....a chipset is a chipset? Okay, got it.
    Like I said before, when talking about SMARTPHONES now, not talking about for example when you go buy a motherboard for a desktop, a CHIPSET is in FACT, for all intensive purposes (meaning for all practical purposes for the sake of a forum discussion) the SoC.

So we can use Chipset and SoC when talking about these phones. You can say the X8 SoC or the X8 Chipset and I wouldn't come after you with a 8 page rant and posting stuff from Wikipedia.
    08-26-2013 09:49 PM

We all now know that:

Period. End of debate.
    Because you're currently using an iPhone 4S it doesn't matter?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    08-26-2013 09:51 PM
    Yes, the Adreno 320 existed in 2012, so yes that part is old technically. Now, will you just shut up
    I was done about 3 pages ago but he wanted me to educate him so I did.

As I said, HE was the one who went off the deep end about terms. In fact it doesn't matter if you use Chipset or SoC when talking about this stuff. It really doesn't.
    Like I said before, when talking about SMARTPHONES now, not talking about for example when you go buy a motherboard for a desktop, a CHIPSET is in FACT, for all intensive purposes (meaning for all practical purposes for the sake of a forum discussion) the SoC.

So we can use Chipset and SoC when talking about these phones. You can say the X8 SoC or the X8 Chipset and I wouldn't come after you with a 8 page rant and posting stuff from Wikipedia.
    IT'S A SoC, WILL YOU SHUT UP ALREADY

I was done about 3 pages ago but he wanted me to educate him so I did.

As I said, HE was the one who went off the deep end about terms. In fact it doesn't matter if you use Chipset or SoC when talking about this stuff. It really doesn't.
    YES IT DOES! AAAH THIS THREAD IS INCREASING MY BLOOD PRESSURE LIKE CRAZY

08-26-2013 09:53 PM
    Because you're currently using an iPhone 4S it doesn't matter?
    So now that I have proven you have absolutely no real technical knowledge, now you want to bring up an iPhone 4s into a Moto X discussion. What's the point of that?

Are you going to be original and say the iPhone is crap? Go ahead. Never heard that one before. Tell me the one about iTunes again please.
    08-26-2013 09:53 PM
    Who cares about specs? Seriously...

A Moto X with its dedicated voice and motion sensor cores has already proven to work extremely well. Heck, the interface on the Moto X is more fluid than the S4.

It's not about specs, its about user experience. If the specs are not appropriately matched, user experience will suffer.

A iPhone 5 is 'smoother' than a S4, and it does it with half the speed, half the cores and half the memory.

Software optimization makes a difference.
    08-26-2013 09:54 PM
    So now that I have proven you have absolutely no real technical knowledge, now you want to bring up an iPhone 4s into a Moto X discussion. What's the point of that?

Are you going to be original and say the iPhone is crap? Go ahead. Never heard that one before. Tell me the one about iTunes again please.
    Kevin, this guy is just trolling. Do us all a favor and drop the ban hammer please

08-26-2013 09:54 PM
    YES IT DOES! AAAH THIS THREAD IS INCREASING MY BLOOD PRESSURE LIKE CRAZY

A chipset and an SoC are basically the same thing when you're talking about this.

Qualcomm calls their Snapdragon 800 a chipset, and I already described to you what is inside the Snapdragon 800. It is in FACT an SoC.

So no, it doesn't matter. You're just trying to make your friend be right. I get it. But people reading this thread will understand that I am right. I know how yo speak to layman, your friend doesn't. This is a clear sign of someone who never really trained in computers.
    08-26-2013 09:56 PM
    Who cares about specs? Seriously...

A Moto X with its dedicated voice and motion sensor cores has already proven to work extremely well. Heck, the interface on the Moto X is more fluid than the S4.

It's not about specs, its about user experience. If the specs are not appropriately matched, user experience will suffer.

A iPhone 5 is 'smoother' than a S4, and it does it with half the speed, half the cores and half the memory.

Software optimization makes a difference.
    Usually, I would defend the s4. I'm just tired of this thread though, I'm not gonna bother

08-26-2013 09:57 PM
621 ... 1213141516 ...