09-03-2013 06:12 PM
621 ... 2122232425
tools
    I didn't ask you to buy one for yourself, I merely suggested that you make a special trip for the rest of us. However, that would mean you'd bring some value to this forum, which I'm not entirely sure is possible.

Anyway, thank you for another thinly-veiled insult. Unfortunately you haven't mastered the art of being snide and correct. Check your sources, professor...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...assembled.html
    Assembled in Fort Worth, parts made in China. Blah blah blah commonly known. That's what I meant, the parts are always made in China. I'm talking about the American version, not Canada.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-29-2013 12:13 PM
    Thread has been cleaned up of recent way off-topic activity.
    08-29-2013 02:55 PM
    The more I think about it, the more I think Moto hit it out of the park with the statement that I believe that they're trying to make. As more an more information comes in about the performance of this device, the more clarity there is on the decisions made and the more impressive it becomes. I'm really excited to see what this means for the attitudes of other OEM's and whether Moto will double down or play a little more of Samsung's game on their next at bat. This is fun.
    08-29-2013 04:21 PM
    The more I think about it, the more I think Moto hit it out of the park with the statement that I believe that they're trying to make. As more an more information comes in about the performance of this device, the more clarity there is on the decisions made and the more impressive it becomes. I'm really excited to see what this means for the attitudes of other OEM's and whether Moto will double down or play a little more of Samsung's game on their next at bat. This is fun.
    I'm seeing people post battery life and thoughts on G+, and I've yet to read a really negative thing about it.
    08-29-2013 04:24 PM
    I'd be awfully surprised if Samsung altered their philosophy too much because of what Motorola is doing. Even if they did, I'm sure they'd find some way to screw it up.

We'll have to see how much of the market Motorola can steal back. They have an uphill battle if they're going to try to convince folks that specs don't matter as much as they think they do.
    08-29-2013 05:18 PM
    I'd be awfully surprised if Samsung altered their philosophy too much because of what Motorola is doing. Even if they did, I'm sure they'd find some way to screw it up.

We'll have to see how much of the market Motorola can steal back. They have an uphill battle if they're going to try to convince folks that specs don't matter as much as they think they do.
    It could make Samsung realize that throwing random bits of software isn't good enough anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    08-29-2013 05:29 PM
    Well, as I said b4, specs are very very very relevant but they only tell part of the story. It's neat that Motorola has worked as hard as they have to make the specs in the X less of a factor and the software abilities more of a factor. I'm no big fan of the X but ya have to give credit where it's due. Now imagine if the X had the software abilities it has on top of cutting edge hardware. That'd be nasty-slick. Maybe next time.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE
    tippmann15 likes this.
    08-29-2013 05:33 PM
    It could make Samsung realize that throwing random bits of software isn't good enough anymore.

That's Samsung's claim to fame though. It's certainly worked for them until now.

Now imagine if the X had the software abilities it has on top of cutting edge hardware.
    Please tell me you're joking.
    08-29-2013 05:57 PM
    Seem's like it's already cutting edge, possibly the most advanced device we've seen, at least according to anandtech's review and Jerry's own comments about the computing system.
    AnandTech | Moto X Review It's just directionally distinct from everything we've seen so far in Android.

Difference isn't necessarily better or worse, that's up to the users. But Samsung and Moto are playing two very different games right now.
    08-29-2013 06:04 PM
    Seem's like it's already cutting edge, possibly the most advanced device we've seen, at least according to anandtech's review and Jerry's own comments about the computing system.
    AnandTech | Moto X Review It's just directionally distinct from everything we've seen so far in Android.

Difference isn't necessarily better or worse, that's up to the users. But Samsung and Moto are playing two very different games right now.
    But it's not a quad-core Snapdragon 600!!!

/s

08-29-2013 06:14 PM
    I used the phrase "cutting edge"...and was serious. Perhaps I should have written "fastest". I'm not being critical and I know many like the X.

08-29-2013 06:35 PM
    That's Samsung's claim to fame though. It's certainly worked for them until now.

Please tell me you're joking.
    I don't think its worked for Samsung. Some of them have, like their camera software. The rest has been just plain awful.

08-29-2013 06:35 PM
    I used the phrase "cutting edge"...and was serious. Perhaps I should have written "fastest". I'm not being critical and I know many like the X.

Right, but that's the misconception that we're addressing. The most advanced and fastest real world performing device out there is running a dualcore X8 mobile computing system, while the 1.9GHz clocked quadcore S600 is the "fastest" on paper. In the review I linked it explains why the X is outperforming the quad-cores pretty nicely in everything except a theoretical sense. But that kinda makes sense, Q3/Q4 releases generally are better than Q1/Q2 releases, just like the S5 will probably be better than the G2, etc. The only difference now is that we have more than one fork of philosophy to try to find ways to compare to each other.
    TheLibertarian likes this.
    08-29-2013 06:42 PM
    So the X is the highest-end best performing android phone available? Interesting. I was thinking of "renting" a black 64GB One for a week or so to compare it to my S4...but maybe I should get the X instead. I love my S4 I just wanted to taste the alternatives and see if its time for me to consider selling the S4 for something better.

08-29-2013 06:55 PM
    So the X is the highest-end best performing android phone available? Interesting. I was thinking of "renting" a black 64GB One for a week or so to compare it to my S4...but maybe I should get the X instead. I love my S4 I just wanted to taste the alternatives and see if its time for me to consider selling the S4 for something better.

I did a comparison on another thread, but I don't see the X as a worthy upgrade to the One or S4. It's very close in performance and it's just a different mindset. From scratch on an upgrade from an older device, between the S4, One and X I could argue one over the other for various people, but if it's going to cost money to switch from a top 5 device to a top 5 device, even if it's from 5 to 1, I don't see that value in that trade unless one device has something specific you really want or you're really unhappy with what you have. If you love your S4 and are just curious, you're not going to be overwhelmed by how much better anything else is that's out today.
    08-29-2013 06:58 PM

I'm not sure if the technology is the "fastest". More powerful perhaps, but fastest tends to refer to the end result. Specs are merely an imperfect proxy for performance. Higher-end specs may suggest better performance, but they don't mean better performance.

I've heard a lot of the commentary, read many of the reviews... my take? I don't think anyone could say that the S4 or the HTC One is "faster". Maybe, faster in some categories, but certainly not across the board. The Moto X seems "faster" in other categories.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    08-29-2013 07:01 PM
    Not sure if the Moto X is the fastest but I believe it is the smartest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-29-2013 07:25 PM
    Not sure if the Moto X is the fastest but I believe it is the smartest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    I think you may be right. Neat stuff.

08-29-2013 07:29 PM
    I think you may be right. Neat stuff.

Pretty much.

Posted via my awesome rooted Nexus 4 and Android Central App)
    08-29-2013 08:58 PM
    Amazon.com: Microsoft Surface (64GB with Black Touch Cover): Computers & Accessories

and you can add a sd card and a usb flash drive.

Imagine that, you can have that and keep your principles too.
    Who in their RIGHT mind would actually want a MS Windows RT tablet. It is beyond comprehension. First you don't actually get 64GB of storage, they have a huge chunk sucked up by the recovery partition. Second Cisco Systems only offers apps for iOS AND Android, no Windows Mobile support and that is critical to my job. Plus again the iPad Mini WAS FREE. I am not interested in buying another tablet when I have a free one provided to me.

I also do have a Windows 8 17.3" HP Laptop with dual 750GB HDD, Blu-Ray DVDRW drive, 16GB RAM and 2GB NVidia graphics card that cost half of a MBP that is no where near as comparably configured. So once again. I have the tools that work.
    08-29-2013 09:17 PM
    Out of everything you said, you could have gotten the Galaxy Note 10.1 on Verizon with LTE, 32 GB of storage and an SD card slot. Sure, it wouldn't be free with 64 GB like the iPad Mini, but it sure has and does a he** of a lot that the Mini cannot do. So the tradeoffs are beyond worth it, especially because you could get a 64 GB SD card to put in it. The options are there, people just don't want to see them. You're obviously interested in the Note 8 because you're annoyed that the specs don't match your needs. So you could get it's bigger brother (which would be better for serious business/work needs anyway) and have those needs met. I've never understood people who act like the tablet is essential for business, and then I see them carrying a iPad Mini or Nexus 7. If you REALLY must have it for business, the larger size of the regular iPad or Note 10.1 or Nexus 10 would be much more effective. I could see having the smaller form factor for some travelling purposes, but every serious businessman i've seen with a tablet has had a full size one.

EDIT: I was wrong. It looks like Verizon only offers a 16 GB version. But with a 64 GB SD card and the 12 or so GB avail on the tablet, you'd still have 76 GB to utilize. Which should still be enough for most things. Especially with multiple SD Cards if necessary.
    Sadly Android (and wireless carriers) OEM's just WON'T make an Android tablet worth buying. 12GB of usable storage is NOT acceptable. 32GB has to be the minimum and 64GB should be the ideal storage. Even apple has a 128GB iPad 4 with LTE tell me that isn't embarrassing for Android. What good are apps if you have to keep deleting and installing again later.
    08-29-2013 09:24 PM
    Who in their RIGHT mind would actually want a MS Windows RT tablet. It is beyond comprehension. First you don't actually get 64GB of storage, they have a huge chunk sucked up by the recovery partition. Second Cisco Systems only offers apps for iOS AND Android, no Windows Mobile support and that is critical to my job. Plus again the iPad Mini WAS FREE. I am not interested in buying another tablet when I have a free one provided to me.

I also do have a Windows 8 17.3" HP Laptop with dual 750GB HDD, Blu-Ray DVDRW drive, 16GB RAM and 2GB NVidia graphics card that cost half of a MBP that is no where near as comparably configured. So once again. I have the tools that work.
    Long battery life + Outlook + office + form factor. It's a niche market but excellent if that's all you need for work.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4
    08-29-2013 09:56 PM

Proof is in the puddin'
    Aquila likes this.
    08-29-2013 11:20 PM
    Man the HTC one is sexy tho!!!

Sent from the amazing galaxy white S4
    Aquila likes this.
    08-29-2013 11:39 PM
    Long battery life + Outlook + office + form factor. It's a niche market but excellent if that's all you need for work.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4
    Long battery life? I'm dying here xD

Posted via my awesome rooted Nexus 4 and Android Central App)
    08-30-2013 12:06 AM
621 ... 2122232425