Rant about SPECS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Personally I think that most people here prefer Android because we realize that what really matters in a smartphone is what it can do to make your life easier, not because their phone has a larger number on a sheet of paper (which actually in the grand scheme of things actually detracts from the benefit of the phone 1080p only provides negligible clarity yet is a strain on the battery and processors. Quad core processors are completely unused compared to dual core ones yet suck more power)

I've always felt that while the iPhone may be smoother, the gesture keyboards, fully tabbed browsers, notification system, quick navigation shortcuts, direct dial shortcuts, the back button, easy access to settings, and widgets allowed the phone to provide much more benefit to myself as a person and gave me the information I needed much faster and allowed me to get on with my life.

I don't know. Take a G Pro and put it next to a Galaxy Note 2 and the difference between 1080p and 720p are striking.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Qualcomm didn't make a totally brand new chipset for Motorola. They took what they had and modified it.

So, again, saying this doesn't have ANY 2012 technology is nonsense.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Heheheahahaha.

As he types frantically into his keyboard. Hands and lips shaking.

Not sure what you're debating here... grow up.

You just need to educate yourself more. That's it.

I do that constantly. As for this specific mobile computing system, I'm well versed in what it is and what it isn't. It's not an off-the shelf MSM8960 like was in the Razr HD last year. Seriously, check out the architecture next to that one and the S600.

Which makes your statement of "there is nothing inside the phone from 2012" totally false.

We're still waiting for the explanation here.

And that's why the other poster was agreeing.

Who? An engineer or someone with a like button or who are we talking about? Lets refer to the expert's posts on these. Check out Jerry's comments as a good place to start. He's a great bridge between layman and systems tech terminology.

You also need lessons on reading.

When you can speak my language as well as I speak yours, we'll talk. Until then, I'm going to refer back to the "grow up" comments.

And I can't believe you read off of the Motorola ads and said "X8". Hahaha

That's the actual name of the system we're talking about. Do you have another term that's more accurate? Not sure where you're going with this.

Look... You're making this personal and all we're asking you to do is drop the "mid range", "2012 tech", etc, etc, verbiage because of how incredibly misleading it is to users who read these threads while researching their purchase decisions. I'm not sure why that puts you into attack mode, but these are phones, not life and death decisions.

You can be honest and try to help people instead of throwing out snarky passive aggressive insults. It's a choice. Why assume everyone is stupid just because they know different information than you do?

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't blame them that they're confused.

Motorola used epic marketing jabber during the unveil. Nobody could understand what the hell the X8 was and their graphics that they used to represent the "X8" were totally false advertising.

Can you be specific? In what way is it misleading? From my understanding the X8 was a reference to the dual core cpus (2) + 4 core gpus (2) + two separate discrete processors that handle natural language and context separately. Am I wrong?

Posted via Android Central App

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Can you be specific? In what way is it misleading? From my understanding the X8 was a reference to the dual core cpus (2) + 4 core gpus (2) + two separate discrete processors that handle natural language and context separately. Am I wrong?

X8 doesn't mean anything. It's just marketing jargon to make it sound new and exciting. The graphics they showed were also false advertising

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what you're debating here... grow up.

I do that constantly. As for this specific mobile computing system, I'm well versed in what it is and what it isn't. It's not an off-the shelf MSM8960 like was in the Razr HD last year. Seriously, check out the architecture next to that one and the S600.

We're still waiting for the explanation here.

Who? An engineer or someone with a like button or who are we talking about? Lets refer to the expert's posts on these. Check out Jerry's comments as a good place to start. He's a great bridge between layman and systems tech terminology.

When you can speak my language as well as I speak yours, we'll talk. Until then, I'm going to refer back to the "grow up" comments.

That's the actual name of the system we're talking about. Do you have another term that's more accurate? Not sure where you're going with this.

Look... You're making this personal and all we're asking you to do is drop the "mid range", "2012 tech", etc, etc, verbiage because of how incredibly misleading it is to users who read these threads while researching their purchase decisions. I'm not sure why that puts you into attack mode, but these are phones, not life and death decisions.

You can be honest and try to help people instead of throwing out snarky passive aggressive insults. It's a choice. Why assume everyone is stupid just because they know different information than you do?

Again. Go look up what a chipset is. Then really go and learn about the Moto X. Look at the board inside.

But go learn what a chipset is first.

There is 2012 technology inside. Modified. Sure. But to say there is none is false.

And that's it.

And stop posting such long posts. I scan through them. I didnt read half the crap you said.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Restating your own assertions, without any additional evidence or explanation of existing points, is not moving you closer to your point. I'm still, just like ten minutes ago, crystal clear on both the concept of a chip set and the general architecture of the X8 system. "Elaborate" is not the same word as, "repeat yourself". Does this feel cyclical? You say something; someone asks you to explain; you repeat what you said.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Restating your own assertions, without any additional evidence or explanation of existing points, is not moving you closer to your point. I'm still, just like ten minutes ago, crystal clear on both the concept of a chip set and the general architecture of the X8 system. "Elaborate" is not the same word as, "repeat yourself". Does this feel cyclical? You say something; someone asks you to explain; you repeat what you said.

I already explained it to you. But you don't understand.

The chipset of the Moto X is from 2012. That's all I have to say. Look it up.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

That's exactly what it is. It refers to the processor group. It's not suggesting 8 app cores.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Let it go....you know your wrong so just let it go

Please explain... That's what moto calls their computing system, which is not an octa-core in the common meaning. It's 3 processors, precisely as the poster described. What's incorrect?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Again. Go look up what a chipset is. Then really go and learn about the Moto X. Look at the board inside.

But go learn what a chipset is first.

There is 2012 technology inside. Modified. Sure. But to say there is none is false.

And that's it.

And stop posting such long posts. I scan through them. I didnt read half the crap you said.

I think you should look up what a chipset is. From Wikipedia:

A chipset is a set of electronic components in an integrated circuit that manage the data flow between the processor, memory and peripherals. It is usually found in the motherboard of a computer. Chipsets are usually designed to work with a specific family of microprocessors. Because it controls communications between the processor and external devices, the chipset plays a crucial role in determining system performance.

Just so we're clear, the chipset doesn't include a CPU or, usually, GPU. There really isn't an equivalent with the ARM architecture, and to say otherwise is just wrong. What we're talking about with the X8 Moto is using a brand new dual-core design. As in, this is the very first family of devices to launch with it. Here, I'll let WIkipedia show you. You tell me where on this table the same qualcomm SoC (again, not a chipset) is used in 2012.

Snapdragon (system on chip) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your argument of "it's just a redesigned 2012 design" is misleading, and a bit disingenuous, since if you look at CPU design at all you'll realize that it's all derivative of previous architectures and generations. To think that a company can just take a dual-core design and slap a new GPU on it is really making light of the amount of engineering that goes into designing an SoC.

Wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. I keep using SoC and I haven't actually said what that is, and I'm going to assume that you don't know either, since you keep using chipset. Again, from Wikipedia:

A system on a chip or system on chip (SoC or SOC) is an integrated circuit (IC) that integrates all components of a computer or other electronic system into a single chip. It may contain digital, analog, mixed-signal, and often radio-frequencyfunctions?all on a single chip substrate. A typical application is in the area of embedded systems.

A typical SoC consists of:

These blocks are connected by either a proprietary or industry-standard bus such as the AMBA bus from ARM Holdings. DMA controllers route data directly between external interfaces and memory, bypassing the processor core and thereby increasing the data throughput of the SoC.

Now do you understand what the difference between a chipset and SoC are? Good, back to the point I was making. SoC's aren't modular. You can't pick and choose what works together. Qualcomm took two Krait 300 cores (same cores as in the S600 which is found in the One and S4) and mated them with the Adreno 320 GPU. So, this is a brand new dual core design as far as SoC's go for Qualcomm. That point can't be argued. Last year's dual core Snapdragon had Krait 200 cores and the Adreno 225 GPU. The GPU is much slower in last year's SoC, and the CPU cores are also less efficient and also slower.

We honestly don't know all that much about the custom processors that Moto is using for the contextual stuff. We can assume that they're some sort of DSP, and if you know anything about DSP's they are even more specific to the task they're designed to perform than ARM chips, which makes them even more efficient at doing what they do.

Go ahead and install Open Mic+ and see what happens to your battery life. Keeping the CPU alive just to listen for voice commands is extremely inefficient. That's what these special processors do. Offload these relatively mundane tasks so that the CPU can focus on more demanding things.

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to describe anything. Anyone can see what's inside the Moto X just by googling it.

Including the 2012 chipset inside.

Yes, we can. It is unfortunate that you do not understand the changes, or the synergy of the total combination. If one were to follow your line of "logic", most all 2013 cars are the same as 2009 cars because they use the same drivetrains...

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, we can. It is unfortunate that you do not understand the changes, or the synergy of the total combination. If one were to follow your line of "logic", most all 2013 cars are the same as 2009 cars because they use the same drivetrains...

I'm not the one who said that the Moto X had NO 2012 Technology inside.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not the one who said that the Moto X had NO 2012 Technology inside.

No, you're the one that said the "chipset" was from 2012.

While we're on the topic of things the X did first, I'm pretty sure it's also the first non-pentile 720p amoled display in a phone. We've seen them on tablets before, but not a phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.