Rant about SPECS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The sad thing is even though this device is awesome Motorola really failed on the screen and camera (screen is outdated and camera has bad quality)

Sent from my SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
Pop quiz: Which one of these represents the newest screen panel technology?

1. LCD
2. Pentile AMOLED
3. RGB AMOLED

Two of these are used by current "high end" smartphones (HTC One, Galaxy S4), and the other is used by the "mid-range" Moto X. Can you guess which one goes where?

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

1. LCD
2. Pentile AMOLED
3. RGB AMOLED

Two of these are used by current "high end" smartphones (HTC One, Galaxy S4), and the other is used by the "mid-range" Moto X. Can you guess which one goes where?

The galaxy s4 uses pentile amoled because I remember reading an article on it. I'm pretty sure the HTC one uses LCD and the moto x uses RGB amoled

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
LOL. This thread has been off the rails since Kevin opened school around noon.

Do you mean the guy who copied and pasted a bunch of stuff from Google?

Doesn't mean much. The phone is still running 2012 technology.

None of his long copy pastes erase the fact that the phone has a GPU that was out in 2012. Adreno 320.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

1. LCD
2. Pentile AMOLED
3. RGB AMOLED

Pop Quiz:

Does an S4 Pro Krait 300 running Adreno 320 represent totally new 2013 technology?

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The galaxy s4 uses pentile amoled because I remember reading an article on it. I'm pretty sure the HTC one uses LCD and the moto x uses RGB amoled

Okay, so how is that a "fail" on Motorola's part? Samsung was using Pentile matrix because it was previously considered impossible to get a satisfactory pixel density (300+ ppi) out of an AMOLED screen with traditional RGB technology. The Moto X accomplished that.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The way product pipelines work, most phones are using 3-4 year old or older technology......

Like that thing called LTE...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

1. LCD
2. Pentile AMOLED
3. RGB AMOLED

I can. ;)

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so how is that a "fail" on Motorola's part? Samsung was using Pentile matrix because it was previously considered impossible to get a satisfactory pixel density (300+ ppi) out of an AMOLED screen with traditional RGB technology. The Moto X accomplished that.

It's a "fail" because you see Samsung and HTC pushing 400+ pixel full 1080p displays. And this is for around the same price when you start a contract. That's the real fail. Why go for something below the standard and still pay the same amount as a top of the line phone?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Oh the S4's screen isn't that bad. Text is very sharp and I like the cartoonist colors. Has there been any reports of S4 screens with dead pixels? IDK. Screen burn-in. Yeahp. I hope mine is gone before that happens. Otherwise my S4 rocks in all its glorious plasticness.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
It's a "fail" because you see Samsung and HTC pushing 400+ pixel full 1080p displays. And this is for around the same price when you start a contract. That's the real fail. Why go for something below the standard and still pay the same amount as a top of the line phone?

american_idol_simon_tired_disappointed_face.gif

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Pop Quiz:

Does an S4 Pro Krait 300 running Adreno 320 represent totally new 2013 technology?

You have an android device with krait 300s from prior to April? A key element of the soc explanation is that it is not modular. Either way, that would only be the end of what you're missing if it wasn't custom. By definition, a custom product is different than others. The first X8 mobile computing system went on sale this August. That makes it Q3 2013 tech. Your explanation still relegates the S4, One, G2 and Note 3 to being 2012 devices, in addition to the droids and x.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The way product pipelines work, most phones are using 3-4 year old or older technology......

Like that thing called LTE...

And the guy said "There is NO 2012 technology in this phone".

And here you agree that this statement is untrue.

I told him that and then they went in a frantic rampage of copying and pasting crap from Google about the definitions of SoC.

And the meltdown still continues. Wait for them to come back and argue that the "X8" makes an Adreno 320 GPU totally new.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

You live on Specland. It only matter how it looks to your eyes. On a 4.7" screen 1080p is pushing it. You're straining the battery for no reason. The screen at 720p is already "retina" if you will.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Do you mean the guy who copied and pasted a bunch of stuff from Google?

Doesn't mean much. The phone is still running 2012 technology.

None of his long copy pastes erase the fact that the phone has a GPU that was out in 2012. Adreno 320.

It has a power button that was out long before that, too.

You continue to miss the point I was making. Singling out a particular piece of a larger pie (in this case, the SoC) and claiming it's old is just wrong. The Adreno 320 obviously existed in 2012. In 2013, it got faster clocks, and some say more ALU's (I'll let you Google that one, since you don't like facts), but that's not confirmed. But the entire SoC did NOT exist in 2012.

I mean seriously how nitpicky do you want to be about this?

Also, out of curiosity, what phone are you currently using?

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
You live on Specland. It only matter how it looks to your eyes. On a 4.7" screen 1080p is pushing it. You're straining the battery for no reason. The screen at 720p is already "retina" if you will.

Oh of course it is, I'm not saying the screen is bad at all. But seriously, if the technology exists to make it look sharper why not use it? They want the same amount of money for something that does have upgraded specs? I say Noooooo to that. I'm not saying the device is bad either, seriously you guys are warping my words. I'm pretty sure this thread is "rant on specs", or am I in the wrong place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers