Rant about SPECS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Typically all around, it's a sharper display. It can be noticed viewing movies, playing games, all around. This is why we have HD televisions correct? A better viewing experience and sharper video. 1080p makes a difference. You should know that, seeing you're rocking an HTC one (it's an awesome device by the way)

Sent from my SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Before this I had a Nexus 4 and One X. Movie watching is no different, especially since the only way to currently get 1080p video in a phone is Blu-ray rips. Everything gets upscaled. That doesn't make it better. The actual quality (the things I listed before) are better, and that makes a difference. Same with reading text, at least for me, at this screen size.

It does make viewing high quality images (like those in 500px) more enjoyable. That, IMO, is the only thing where the difference is actually noticeable. Everything else can be attributed to the actual quality being improved.

When we get to large form factors that changes, but that's not really the topic at hand here.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Before this I had a Nexus 4 and One X. Movie watching is no different, especially since the only way to currently get 1080p video in a phone is Blu-ray rips. Everything gets upscaled. That doesn't make it better. The actual quality (the things I listed before) are better, and that makes a difference. Same with reading text, at least for me, at this screen size.

It does make viewing high quality images (like those in 500px) more enjoyable. That, IMO, is the only thing where the difference is actually noticeable. Everything else can be attributed to the actual quality being improved.

When we get to large form factors that changes, but that's not really the topic at hand here.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

True, but you do agree it makes a difference. That's all I wanted to hear, very good then

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying it's a bad phone! I'm saying it's sub-par on specs! It was designed for battery life, everyone knows that. I'm just pointing out the specs. And this thread is rant about specs right? Exactly

It was not only designed for battery life. It was also designed for form factor, which is the advantage in not having to have space for huge batteries. The hardware was also designed to allow for the implementation of services that would otherwise consume too much power to be provided usefully.

All of these design decisions are trade offs. I like the tradeoffs more on the X than on the S4 and HTC One.

Posted via Android Central App

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
It was not only designed for battery life. It was also designed for form factor, which is the advantage in not having to have space for huge batteries. The hardware was also designed to allow for the implementation of services that would otherwise consume too much power to be provided usefully.

All of these design decisions are trade offs. I like the tradeoffs more on the X than on the S4 and HTC One.

Posted via Android Central App

Yeah, it was designed for all of those things like you said. I don't think the tradeoff is worth it, but we all have different opinions. I care about specs more than these things

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Oh I guarantee I'm getting in trouble with the mods for this, but: JungleLarry you wanna continue being a smart-***? Or enjoy the site like everyone else?
I would love nothing more than to enjoy this site, but you make it awfully difficult. This thread is full of really great information on the hardware of this phone, and this forum is also full of equally good information regarding its performance cited by expert reviewers, tech junkies, and common users alike. Even the anecdotal evidence provided by people who actually own this phone carries more weight than your argument, which is based purely on hypotheticals created in the mind of someone who just doesn't fully grasp what's going on.

I have no reason to defend the Moto X or any of its components. I'm not an employee of Motorola nor do I owe the company anything aside from a critical eye. That being said, I've owned the Galaxy S3 and have used both the HTC One and Galaxy S4 extensively. Hell, I gave them as gifts. I think they're great and they definitely have their attractive qualities. But I've also used the Moto X, and in my limited time with it I thought it was fantastic. The screen you so eloquently disregarded as a "fail" (despite not having any real evidence) is actually really good. The camera also surprised me by how not-awful it was, and believe me...I am probably the biggest critic of the Moto X camera here. Have you used the phone? Do you have any experience with it? What are your thoughts?

Given your responses, it's easy to assume that you have no practical foundation from which to criticize the Moto X. If that's incorrect, please tell me. It seems like you're just another spec-head who can't get over the fact that this phone may not sport eye-popping numbers. If that's the perspective you're going to use to continue this argument, then you're wrong. And that's okay. You have every right to be wrong. But when every shred of decent evidence is presented to you to the contrary, and every observation and real-world test is cited to show you that what you believe to be true actually isn't, and you sit there there with your fingers in your ears spouting the same nonsense we've had to beat down since this phone was officially released....I'm not going to pretend to enjoy it.

Dregur

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Oh of course it is, I'm not saying the screen is bad at all. But seriously, if the technology exists to make it look sharper why not use it? They want the same amount of money for something that does have upgraded specs? I say Noooooo to that. I'm not saying the device is bad either, seriously you guys are warping my words. I'm pretty sure this thread is "rant on specs", or am I in the wrong place?

Easy. Look at The Epic Citadel benchmarks released. The S4 with the same GPU as the Moto X with a 1080p screen does the benchmark at 40fps. The Moto X does it in 720p at nearly 60fps.

Using the 720p screen is about performance, power, and efficiency. Better performance, lower power usage, and more efficiency. The trade off? A lower resolution that barely anyone can notice the difference between 720p vs 1080p.. For 20 FPS less performance. For less battery life.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I think some users would give up a 1080p display if they were told they could get an extra 2-3 hours of screen time out of a 720p one.

Which the theme battery life in part was one of the biggest design points of this phone.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I would love nothing more than to enjoy this site, but you make it awfully difficult. This thread is full of really great information on the hardware of this phone, and this forum is also full of equally good information regarding its performance cited by expert reviewers, tech junkies, and common users alike. Even the anecdotal evidence provided by people who actually own this phone carries more weight than your argument, which is based purely on hypotheticals created in the mind of someone who just doesn't fully grasp what's going on.

I have no reason to defend the Moto X or any of its components. I'm not an employee of Motorola nor do I owe the company anything aside from a critical eye. That being said, I've owned the Galaxy S3 and have used both the HTC One and Galaxy S4 extensively. Hell, I gave them as gifts. I think they're great and they definitely have their attractive qualities. But I've also used the Moto X, and in my limited time with it I thought it was fantastic. The screen you so eloquently disregarded as a "fail" (despite not having any real evidence) is actually really good. The camera also surprised me by how not-awful it was, and believe me...I am probably the biggest critic of the Moto X camera here. Have you used the phone? Do you have any experience with it? What are your thoughts?

Given your responses, it's easy to assume that you have no practical foundation from which to criticize the Moto X. If that's incorrect, please tell me. It seems like you're just another spec-head who can't get over the fact that this phone may not sport eye-popping numbers. If that's the perspective you're going to use to continue this argument, then you're wrong. And that's okay. You have every right to be wrong. But when every shred of decent evidence is presented to you to the contrary, and every observation and real-world test is cited to show you that what you believe to be true actually isn't, and you sit there there with your fingers in your ears spouting the same nonsense we've had to beat down since this phone was officially released....I'm not going to pretend to enjoy it.

I will say I have used the phone, therefore I can rant on its qualities and specs seeing I know the issues with it. And I'm certainly not the only one to criticize this phone. Do a Google search for "Moto X disappoints" and you will find a few articles about its issues. It's a phone, a good phone, but nothing that excites. It's like ios for example, it works but it's not amazing.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Easy. Look at The Epic Citadel benchmarks released. The S4 with the same GPU as the Moto X with a 1080p screen does the benchmark at 40fps. The Moto X does it in 720p at nearly 60fps.

Using the 720p screen is about performance, power, and efficiency. Better performance, lower power usage, and more efficiency. The trade off? A lower resolution that barely anyone can notice the difference between 720p vs 1080p.. For 20 FPS less performance. For less battery life.

Okay, I'll give you that. But that's about the only place where the moto x comes close to competing with the s4 or the HTC one. And no 1080p can be noticed, I won't give you that

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You mean other than being faster (opening apps, searching, traversing the ui), smoother and much more battery efficient, while at the same time providing more features for general use and a better software experience?

Nexus. Through spacetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.