Rant about SPECS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Actually, that's an ipad. He's talking about phones. I will say apple nailed tablets and is still on top with them. As for phones, yeah the iPhone is for ifan hipsters who will throw down hundreds just for the logo

Sent from my SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

The iPad Mini is an iPad 2 rebadge with a couple upgraded features. I own one and I can adamantly tell you it is overpriced.

The difference is my line of work requires that I have one.

Also edited to add, the OS which he was talking about is the same among all devices.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Problem is, it's not even technical. I explained the correction to the logic fallacy in 1-2 sentences multiple times. It still never caught. The problem here isn't really the explanation or the complexity of the subject matter. For things like this, I do value Wiki as a source because of the level it breaks things down to common understanding. It's not always the most up to date or correct source of information, but it can get you the gist and more importantly, link you to sources of greater knowledge for a deeper contextual comprehension. It's like the old cliffsnotes from school (not sure if that's still a thing). It gets you a summary and some pertinent details of what's commonly discussed, but for the real deal, you have to read the originals.

I agree it has useful info, I'm just still in the Collegiate mindset where citing wiki = F haha

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Wikipedia is actually a very reliable source. The thing is, when you have so many people working on improving articles that even the most obscure article about something no one knows about is edited multiple times a day, mistakes get fixed pretty quickly. There were various studies performed, and Wikipedia was determined to be as accurate as the Encyclopedia Britannica.

Wikipedia became better after they started moderating the editing. I have a friend who has a wikipedia page and we use to change it constantly to troll him.

The good old days.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
The iPad Mini is an iPad 2 rebadge with a couple upgraded features. I own one and I can adamantly tell you it is overpriced.

The difference is my line of work requires that I have one.

Also edited to add, the OS which he was talking about is the same among all devices.

Yes, I know it's overpriced and personally don't like it. But, many people do. The ipads are still on top. I personally like the Galaxy tablets and the Nexus tablets. I could burn an ipad and not care at all, I don't like them. That doesn't mean people don't though. And yes I know the OS is the same, I used an iPhone for many years

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Actually, that's an ipad. He's talking about phones. I will say apple nailed tablets and is still on top with them. As for phones, yeah the iPhone is for ifan hipsters who will throw down hundreds just for the logo

I disagree. You can't say Apple nailed tablets but has a horrible phone OS when the OS is essentially identical between phones and tablets. I'd say it's somewhere in the middle for both. But as for the physical quality of the devices, well, I think that's a different matter for a different discussion.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I disagree. You can't say Apple nailed tablets but has a horrible phone OS when the OS is essentially identical between phones and tablets. I'd say it's somewhere in the middle for both. But as for the physical quality of the devices, well, I think that's a different matter for a different discussion.

Actually I can, using a phone and tablet is different. On such a small screen, it is terrible. But for the ipad and the ipad apps, ios is decent. I personally don't like the ipads, but other people do.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Actually I can, using a phone and tablet is different. On such a small screen, it is terrible. But for the ipad and the ipad apps, ios is decent. I personally don't like the ipads, but other people do.

My woman is going to Grad school later this year and they all get iPad 2s. She said she wants to tell them to buy her a Nexus 10 or put the money towards a new laptop instead B)

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
You should stop trying to put words in my mouth.

ahahaha!! You explained it alright. In a HUMONGOUS post to explain something so simple. You couldn't even write it yourself, you had to copy and paste it from Wiki.

Let me take you to school because you clearly don't understand anything.

This is the way you explain these terms to a person who doesn't know about technology, such as yourself.

SoC = (System on Chip) is exactly what is says, it is one single chip that has all the components necessary to run a computer. What's that? Yes, your smartphone is a computer.

Chipset = You know that phone you bought? On the Box it said "Qualcomm Snapdragon 600"? Go to Qualcomm's Website, go up at the top menu and click where it says "CHIPSETS", those are chipsets. You can also say "chipset" when you talk about desktop motherboards for example, but that's something else. Don't worry about it.

and that's how you explain that to a layman.

Now, cue this guy and all his friend's meltdown on how I'm wrong.

But, anyone with a computer can look it up.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
ahahaha!! You explained it alright. In a HUMONGOUS post to explain something so simple. You couldn't even write it yourself, you had to copy and paste it from Wiki.

This is the way you explain these terms to a person who doesn't know about technology, such as yourself.

SoC = (System on Chip) is exactly what is says, it is one single chip that has all the components necessary to run a computer. What's that? Yes, your smartphone is a computer.

Chipset = You know that phone you bought? On the Box it said "Qualcomm Snapdragon 600"? Go to Qualcomm's Website, go up at the top menu and click where it says "CHIPSETS", those are chipsets. You can also say "chipset" when you talk about desktop motherboards for example, but that's something else. Don't worry about it.

See attachment:

View attachment 78165

Finally. Thank you.

But why did it take so long to come up with that?

Still ignored my question about your device, too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

See attachment:

View attachment 78165

Finally

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
But why did it take so long to come up with that?

I'm working. I live in Thailand. It's 9:30 in the morning.

Now that you're educated, it doesn't matter which phone I have.

We all now know that:

a) you took 3 paragraphs to describe what I can in 1 sentence, simply.

b) the Moto X has 2012 technology. Albeit, bundled with modern 2013 technology, but that doesn't mean that there is no 2012 technology inside that phone.

Period. End of debate.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm working. I live in Thailand. It's 9:30 in the morning.

Now that you're educated, it doesn't matter which phone I have.

We all now know that:

a) you took 3 paragraphs to describe what I can in 1 sentence, simply.

b) the Moto X has 2012 technology. Albeit, bundled with modern 2013 technology, but that doesn't mean that there is no 2012 technology inside that phone.

Period. End of debate.

Actually, that was more than one sentence. And no need to be so smug about it.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

But if you remember, your so called "expert" went off the deep end when I used the term "chipset" to talk about the Snapdragon S4 Pro.

and that wasn't even the argument. Chipset, SoC, whatever. People just are talking about all those chips inside that make the phone work. In simple terms, my point was that one of those chips "adreno 320" is 2012 technology. It is PART of that "new" X8 SoC malarky.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
The Chipset vs SoC definition is an argument that I wasn't having.

Understanding that argument is the entire basis of determining what technology the Moto X is featuring.

And yet in over 100 posts that basic notion still escapes you.

It amazes me you would insult others intelligence based on the nonsense you have spouted this afternoon.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
But if you remember, your so called "expert" went off the deep end when I used the term "chipset" to talk about the Snapdragon S4 Pro.

and that wasn't even the argument. Chipset, SoC, whatever. People just are talking about all those chips inside that make the phone work. In simple terms, my point was that one of those chips "adreno 320" is 2012 technology. It is PART of that "new" X8 SoC malarky.

I meant finally you typed something reasonable. That makes sense, but even though the old Adreno 320 is on the x8, the x8 is considered new.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
So....a chipset is a chipset? Okay, got it.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Actually, that was more than one sentence. And no need to be so smug about it.

Actually, the truth is, a Chipset in a smartphone is In FACT the SoC.

Take the Snapdragon 800 CHIPSET (even Qualcomm calls it a chipset), what's inside that? The CPU (Krait), the GPU (adreno 330), another CPU "hexagon", has all your connectivity (wifi. 4G all that), handles your multimedia, audio, etc etc.

What is that if not an SoC? Let's not discuss semantics and details. Let's just say, an SoC is in fact the phone's chipset.

But your friend went on a, what now? 8 page rant? to tell me that I don't know the difference between the 2, when in fact they are really the same boloney.

So, what I was saying was that on the Moto X CHIPSET, yes I called it a CHIPSET, sue me, The Krait Cores may be new, but the GPU on that CHIPSET is from 2012. Adreno 320.

Call it an SoC. I don't care. I'm still right.

No carry on.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Actually, the truth is, a Chipset in a smartphone is In FACT the SoC.

Take the Snapdragon 800 CHIPSET (even Qualcomm calls it a chipset), what's inside that? The CPU (Krait), the GPU (adreno 330), another CPU "hexagon", has all your connectivity (wifi. 4G all that), handles your multimedia, audio, etc etc.

What is that if not an SoC? Let's not discuss semantics and details. Let's just say, an SoC is in fact the phone's chipset.

But your friend went on a, what now? 8 page rant? to tell me that I don't know the difference between the 2, when in fact they are really the same boloney.

So, what I was saying was that on the Moto X CHIPSET, yes I called it a CHIPSET, sue me, The Krait Cores may be new, but the GPU on that CHIPSET is from 2012. Adreno 320.

Call it an SoC. I don't care. I'm still right.

No carry on.

Bloody hell I'm getting tired of this. Okay, let's sort this out now. I honestly don't care if it's a SoC, a chipset, I don't care. And honestly, I don't need to care. However, I know what they are. Whatever, I'm not gonna explain things simply because I'm fed up. Yes, the Adreno 320 existed in 2012, so yes that part is old technically. Now, will you just shut up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10