Rant about SPECS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
After this nonsense marathon, does anyone want to trade me their "2012 Moto X" for my 2012 Galaxy S3? Reading this thread made me really want the X. It's a fair trade afterall, since both phones are "for all intensive purposes" made in 2012.

Wouldn't be fair trade, galaxy s 3 can do a lot more than the moto x. 2012 was a great year for samsung.

Posted via Android Central App

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't be fair trade, galaxy s 3 can do a lot more than the moto x. 2012 was a great year for samsung.

Well I can no longer charge my S3 using the USB port. So you're right, it wouldn't be a fair trade for whoever got my S3. And by the way, I BABY my electronics so I have no idea how or why that USB port stopped functioning. Multiple chargers, cleaned the lint out, all of the internet tricks and nothing worked. But that's a topic for another thread.

Also, the things that the Moto X CAN do, are all the things that matter to me, and therefore I want it. I don't need 1080p to scratch the spec itch. I also don't need a dead battery by noon, or inconsistent service signal. I LOVE my S3 and I also own a Galaxy Note 10.1 so I like Samsung. But I want that X for more practical purposes.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Well I can no longer charge my S3 using the USB port. So you're right, it wouldn't be a fair trade for whoever got my S3. And by the way, I BABY my electronics so I have no idea how or why that USB port stopped functioning. Multiple chargers, cleaned the lint out, all of the internet tricks and nothing worked. But that's a topic for another thread.

Also, the things that the Moto X CAN do, are all the things that matter to me, and therefore I want it. I don't need 1080p to scratch the spec itch. I also don't need a dead battery by noon, or inconsistent service signal. I LOVE my S3 and I also own a Galaxy Note 10.1 so I like Samsung. But I want that X for more practical purposes.

I haven't broken my S3 at all, it doesn't even have a scratch. What did you do? Drop kick it? The phone's not the problem, you probably jammed the charger in too hard

Sent from my SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I haven't broken my S3 at all, it doesn't even have a scratch. What did you do? Drop kick it? The phone's not the problem, you probably jammed the charger in too hard

And this the kind of response that I always hated. It is always the person's fault. Things sometimes break and it has nothing to do with the end user.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I had a Sprint S3 for a month and a half before I got my Note 2. It was a good phone...no complaints at all.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
No one ever said it wasn't the same. Oh yeah except for my huge battery and my phone isnt glued together.

That the best you can do? Hate to break it to you, but with no exposed screws Motorola has to keep the Maxx together somehow, and it isn't by magic.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
No one ever said it wasn't the same. Oh yeah except for my huge battery and my phone isnt glued together.

You (wrongfully) criticize the Moto X for having an outdated chipset. Your Maxx has the same chipset. How does a battery and glue change that?

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You (wrongfully) criticize the Moto X for having an outdated chipset. Your Maxx has the same chipset. How does a battery and glue change that?

You're not seriously going to hold him responsible for his own older arguments are you? That would be cruel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The only thing outdated on the Moto X, from what I can tell, is the exclusivity deals. Carrier monogamy is so old fashioned that even my grandmother's jaw dropped.

hqdefault.jpg

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I drop kicked my phone. Considering I just barely said that I baby my electronic devices. And drop kicking would break the charging port and not the screen or anything.

How would you even "jam the charger in too hard"? The little plug is like the size of a cheerio. Who can get enough leverage to jam the thing when it easily slides in with no problem? The problem began after I charged it in my truck with my travel charger (which was made by Samsung and I bought it from the ShopAndroid site). So I don't know if you're not supposed to charge the Galaxy S3 with travel chargers or what. If that is what broke it, they need to make them more efficient, or durable. OR they need to tell you when you buy it to never charge it in a vehicle.

This isn't a thread about S3 charging problems though. I only mentioned that to someone else who said the Moto X wasn't as good as a phone that doesn't charge after one year of gentle use. (I really do LOVE my S3 aside from that. I just have to use wireless charging now).

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I drop kicked my phone. Considering I just barely said that I baby my electronic devices. And drop kicking would break the charging port and not the screen or anything.

How would you even "jam the charger in too hard"? The little plug is like the size of a cheerio. Who can get enough leverage to jam the thing when it easily slides in with no problem? The problem began after I charged it in my truck with my travel charger (which was made by Samsung and I bought it from the ShopAndroid site). So I don't know if you're not supposed to charge the Galaxy S3 with travel chargers or what. If that is what broke it, they need to make them more efficient, or durable. OR they need to tell you when you buy it to never charge it in a vehicle.

This isn't a thread about S3 charging problems though. I only mentioned that to someone else who said the Moto X wasn't as good as a phone that doesn't charge after one year of gentle use. (I really do LOVE my S3 aside from that. I just have to use wireless charging now).

Still, you probably broke it. And it takes like $10 and a screwdriver to fix it, all you need to do is replace the tiny board the micro USB port is attached to.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
If you're paying for something built in the USA, then it is priced about right. They can always take their manufacturing to slaves and sell it to you cheap.

Sorry, but I disagree. They are not employing 1000 american workers to make the Moto X, its mostly machine/robot made. The rising costs in China are forcing companies to look back to the USA for american mfg again since we are no longer considered super expensive. The parts are made in China, assembled in the US, that is a HUGE difference.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, I don't follow the logic here.

People get the phone that suits their needs. Doesn't mean it is mediocre.

What is it that you do exactly that needs all that power? Facebook?

- - - Updated - - -

are you saying you (or I) CAN'T explain SoC in one simple sentence? :D

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't use Facebook on a phone or tablet, and when and IF I actually visit which is less than 2 minutes a day so wish friends/family happy birthday I don't visit it EVER on my SMARTphone or any mobile device (save my laptop). As an IT consultant I need to carry alot of apps that work for my daily business needs and having a large bright screen with solid resolution is an important part of my day. So for the FB crowd this phone will do just fine.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I think it's pretty well established that within the mobile device market there are sub markets that are not necessarily strongly overlapping.

Generally the Note 2 (and 3) customer is not the same as the iPhone customer, which is a far cry from the Windows Phone customer, etc. Those are probably the three extremes, but for a 4th extreme one could throw in the Nexus and treat customer likes and dislikes as a measurable spectrum. Some people do want small devices, some want huge, some want fat, some want skinny. Some want popular, some want subtle.

There's not much that's inherently better in one end of the spectrum versus the other, in an absolute sense. But when two similar devices, say the HTC One and Moto X are compared, it's easier to draw the parallels.

Moto doesn't have anything right now that would appeal to the Note crowd except MAYBE the Droid Maxx, but it's still not really in the same category in anything but battery life.

I agree with you on that. Sadly for me I was a huge user of Moto devices for many, many years and like Nortel Networks they simply fell behind and ultimately Moto had to be gobbled up to be saved. But can they truly be what they once were. I hope so but not if their main focus is Verion and the "Droid" brand. They have previously stated they have no interest in the Phablet space, which is fine, they will simply lose that market share to Samsung and others. It does generate significant sales.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Oh the irony.

I do have an iPad Mini for a few key reasons and none are embarrassing to me. First it was FREE. Second Android OEM's continue to FAIL at delivering a tablet with more than 32GB of storage, if it has 32GB of storage it does NOT have a microSD (important to me). I need storage for apps, content, work slides and other related documents for my business. The iPad mini was FREE for me to use has 64GB of storage, Verizon LTE and those are TWO things NONE of the Android tablets offer today.

If Samsung would grow a pair of balls, sell the Galaxy Note 8 32GB either WiFi or with LTE (neutered it with 16GB less than 10GB usable) then I would have been on it. They don't so I won't buy it. Like I said before I have used every mobile OS on the market for the last 15 years, except for Symbian, (Firefox OS, Tizen and any other minor ones don't count its not in the US yet).

So if you can find me a tablet that will work for my job needs with the storage needs I will sell my iPad mini and get that.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Actually, that's an ipad. He's talking about phones. I will say apple nailed tablets and is still on top with them. As for phones, yeah the iPhone is for ifan hipsters who will throw down hundreds just for the logo

Thank you. I personally have sold off every Apple product I owned, tablets, iphones, macbook pro, iMac, etc and moved far away. But when you get an iPad mini for free and it meets your storage and work requirements you really cannot pass it up. I would love nothing more than to have the Nexus 7 actually show up on Verizon LTE you know before Christmas and have say 64GB of storage. The first may happen, the second will NEVER happen.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but I disagree. They are not employing 1000 american workers to make the Moto X, its mostly machine/robot made. The rising costs in China are forcing companies to look back to the USA for american mfg again since we are no longer considered super expensive. The parts are made in China, assembled in the US, that is a HUGE difference.

The factory starting up in Fort Worth was actually employing 2000 workers by the end of this month with a goal to get to 3000 by the end of September. Granted, the Moto X is not the only product being assembled here but it is still a big driver for the new factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz