Not open for further replies.

lingcod777

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of ranting about specs

How about ranting about battery life?

AnandTech | Moto X Review

:p

I saw this yesterday and haven't fully digested how to interpret the results (didn't find the test details in the privies reviews I quickly searched through?I'm sure they are there somewhere). Are the results offset to take into account the battery capacity? The graphs speak for themselves in a constant usage situation (assuming the network conditions are consistent between the tests and the devices are transmitting roughly the same power) but it seems there's some missing information to support the conclusion that the Moto battery life claims are bogus. It might be valid for continuous use but not sure this holds for a typical use model in 24 hrs or if it's taking into account the different battery capacities.

Interesting results, just not sure how that translates into actual battery life in a typical day with respect to different phones to use in a spec debate.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think the moto x lives up to the expectations people have. It's a wonderful phone, but it Motorola included a micro SD card maybe people would be more willing to jump to the phone. It's the little things people like, it may not seem like much but it does make a difference to have the options of a micro SD card and removable battery and those sorts of things

Sent from my SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

matt-helm#AC

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think the moto x lives up to the expectations people have. It's a wonderful phone, but it Motorola included a micro SD card maybe people would be more willing to jump to the phone. It's the little things people like, it may not seem like much but it does make a difference to have the options of a micro SD card and removable battery and those sorts of things

In the past 2 months I've used a iPhone 5 -> GS4 -> Nokia 920 -> HTC One -> Moto X.

For me the 16gb vs 32gb is irrelevant. I have dropbox with all my "crap" in it. I don't use my phone as a mp3 player. I'll toss an audio book on it every once in awhile, but that's it. I don't use my phone for serious gaming... so there's not a ton of games on it. I'm not going to put TV shows or Movies on it either. I have a 14" laptop to consume media. I'm not sure what else i'de fill the space up with?

Removable battery is irrelevant to me as well. If I needed that extra juice I guess keeping after having an extra battery and keeping that charged would annoy me. There's always those quick charge usb devices if I really needed some extra battery time.

So this is just HOW I use my phone. I'm not sure where I fit in with everyone else.. but micro sd and removable battery just don't matter to me at all.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
No LTE and the usable space on the surface after the OS is installed is only about 32 GB.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

He said earlier he would buy a Wifi or LTE Note 8 if it was bigger.

If Samsung would grow a pair of balls, sell the Galaxy Note 8 32GB either WiFi or with LTE (neutered it with 16GB less than 10GB usable)

Also even though the surface is only 32gb usable space, after the SD Slot and flash drive he could easily add another 192gb.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
In the past 2 months I've used a iPhone 5 -> GS4 -> Nokia 920 -> HTC One -> Moto X.

For me the 16gb vs 32gb is irrelevant. I have dropbox with all my "crap" in it. I don't use my phone as a mp3 player. I'll toss an audio book on it every once in awhile, but that's it. I don't use my phone for serious gaming... so there's not a ton of games on it. I'm not going to put TV shows or Movies on it either. I have a 14" laptop to consume media. I'm not sure what else i'de fill the space up with?

Removable battery is irrelevant to me as well. If I needed that extra juice I guess keeping after having an extra battery and keeping that charged would annoy me. There's always those quick charge usb devices if I really needed some extra battery time.

So this is just HOW I use my phone. I'm not sure where I fit in with everyone else.. but micro sd and removable battery just don't matter to me at all.

I've used an iPhone 5 as well, and even though I liked it I hated how I couldn't expand the memory or remove the battery. These are things I love about my s3, and it's why I'm going to make sure each device I get has that (with the exception of the HTC one, that phone is already too awesome to ignore). Because of this, I will likely be in the Galaxy line of phones until some other decent manufacturer adds both of these features to their phones. Definitely a custom rom though, I love the phone but hate touchwiz

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but I disagree. They are not employing 1000 american workers to make the Moto X, its mostly machine/robot made. The rising costs in China are forcing companies to look back to the USA for american mfg again since we are no longer considered super expensive. The parts are made in China, assembled in the US, that is a HUGE difference.
I'm not sure I agree with your logic. I agree with your conclusion, that the cost difference between assembling here and in China isn't that big, but my guess is that much of what's done in the US will be done by hand. They're probably just taking the few parts we've seen in the tear downs and plugging them all together. That's a difficult thing for a machine to do but easy for a person, especially if you're going to allow the end user to customize it. They're probably getting the PCB's stuffed in China for now, but perhaps that's part of what they'll be doing in the US as well.

For me the 16gb vs 32gb is irrelevant. I have dropbox with all my "crap" in it. I don't use my phone as a mp3 player.
I'm the same way, but one reason I have the S4 is to allow me to use my phone as an MP3 player (the other, biggest one is timing with my upgrade). If I don't have at least 64GB of storage I won't have enough for all my music, but I don't need any more than 16GB for everything else. It just happened that both my iPod playing mechanism in my car and my old iPod died about the same time, so it's a natural time to turn my phone into my MP3 player. I can do that for a little less than what a new iPod would cost, including adding an aux jack and Bluetooth A2DP adapter in my car.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Still, you probably broke it. And it takes like $10 and a screwdriver to fix it, all you need to do is replace the tiny board the micro USB port is attached to.

If I broke it, they need to build them MUCH better. You don't know my situation, or how I treat my stuff. And if it cost ten dollars and just a screwdriver to fix it, everyone would be doing it instead of taking it in for a replacement and waiting for weeks. But if you know the magic secret, jump over to the S3 forum where people have a few threads going regarding this issue. My wife is ALWAYS shaking her head and rolling her eyes at me for the way I treat my phone and tablet. I wont leave the room unless I know they're in a secure place that my 16 month old daughter cannot get to. I did not do anything with the phone to "break" the usb port. Especially in only a year with it.

Again, this isn't a thread for the S3. If you have the magic fix, go to the S3 forum to tell us all how to fix it. We don't need to discuss it here because no one here cares.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I do have an iPad Mini for a few key reasons and none are embarrassing to me. First it was FREE. Second Android OEM's continue to FAIL at delivering a tablet with more than 32GB of storage, if it has 32GB of storage it does NOT have a microSD (important to me). I need storage for apps, content, work slides and other related documents for my business. The iPad mini was FREE for me to use has 64GB of storage, Verizon LTE and those are TWO things NONE of the Android tablets offer today.

If Samsung would grow a pair of balls, sell the Galaxy Note 8 32GB either WiFi or with LTE (neutered it with 16GB less than 10GB usable) then I would have been on it. They don't so I won't buy it. Like I said before I have used every mobile OS on the market for the last 15 years, except for Symbian, (Firefox OS, Tizen and any other minor ones don't count its not in the US yet).

So if you can find me a tablet that will work for my job needs with the storage needs I will sell my iPad mini and get that.

Out of everything you said, you could have gotten the Galaxy Note 10.1 on Verizon with LTE, 32 GB of storage and an SD card slot. Sure, it wouldn't be free with 64 GB like the iPad Mini, but it sure has and does a he** of a lot that the Mini cannot do. So the tradeoffs are beyond worth it, especially because you could get a 64 GB SD card to put in it. The options are there, people just don't want to see them. You're obviously interested in the Note 8 because you're annoyed that the specs don't match your needs. So you could get it's bigger brother (which would be better for serious business/work needs anyway) and have those needs met. I've never understood people who act like the tablet is essential for business, and then I see them carrying a iPad Mini or Nexus 7. If you REALLY must have it for business, the larger size of the regular iPad or Note 10.1 or Nexus 10 would be much more effective. I could see having the smaller form factor for some travelling purposes, but every serious businessman i've seen with a tablet has had a full size one.

EDIT: I was wrong. It looks like Verizon only offers a 16 GB version. But with a 64 GB SD card and the 12 or so GB avail on the tablet, you'd still have 76 GB to utilize. Which should still be enough for most things. Especially with multiple SD Cards if necessary.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The iPhone and the One are probably doing just fine without either of those features. It all comes down to how well the device is marketed. I don't seem to recall any ads showing the Galaxy S3 or S4 or Note 2 showing off battery swapping and micro SD cards. The "normals" just don't care.

Maybe more people on sites like this would jump on to the Moto X if it had a micro SD slot - but even still, it wouldn't be a significant amount.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone and the One are probably doing just fine without either of those features. It all comes down to how well the device is marketed. I don't seem to recall any ads showing the Galaxy SIII or S4 or Note 2 showing off battery swapping and micro SD cards. The "normals" just don't care.

Agreed.

Sent From My Droid Maxx

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
If I broke it, they need to build them MUCH better. You don't know my situation, or how I treat my stuff. And if it cost ten dollars and just a screwdriver to fix it, everyone would be doing it instead of taking it in for a replacement and waiting for weeks. But if you know the magic secret, jump over to the S3 forum where people have a few threads going regarding this issue. My wife is ALWAYS shaking her head and rolling her eyes at me for the way I treat my phone and tablet. I wont leave the room unless I know they're in a secure place that my 16 month old daughter cannot get to. I did not do anything with the phone to "break" the usb port. Especially in only a year with it.

Again, this isn't a thread for the S3. If you have the magic fix, go to the S3 forum to tell us all how to fix it. We don't need to discuss it here because no one here cares.

I'm typically in the s3 Forums, you just brought up the topic. It takes no more than a few minutes, really. Look it up online

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone and the One are probably doing just fine without either of those features. It all comes down to how well the device is marketed. I don't seem to recall any ads showing the Galaxy S3 or S4 or Note 2 showing off battery swapping and micro SD cards. The "normals" just don't care.

Maybe more people on sites like this would jump on to the Moto X if it had a micro SD slot - but even still, it wouldn't be a significant amount.

Well I'm not one of the normals. The normals are bloody isheep. Using that logic, your not normal either. Really, these are things people should care about.

Dregur

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm not one of the normals. The normals are bloody isheep. Using that logic, your not normal either. Really, these are things people should care about.

But I don't. I've never used an iPhone. I've been an Android guy since the original G1, and I really could care less about SD cards. I really can't be bothered as I've already embraced cloud storage which I find it easier than using an SD card.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm typically in the s3 Forums, you just brought up the topic. It takes no more than a few minutes, really. Look it up online

I mentioned my S3 in a post and then clarified my original point by bringing up my charging issue. A Moto X thread isn't the place to speculate about someone who you do not know and try to tell them their device broke because they're careless or disabled.

After reading this thread, I would love to give the Moto X a shot. It will depend largely on whether or not the next Nexus is as cheap as the Nexus 4 was. Otherwise i'll probably just buy the Nexus 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1