Rant about SPECS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm not one of the normals. The normals are bloody isheep. Using that logic, your not normal either. Really, these are things people should care about.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

So One users are iSheep? I know I'm not one of the "normals" but I have an understanding on what matters to the general consumers in addition to what matters to people like us who post on cell phone forums.

And guess what? There are more of them than there are of us. They matter more to Samsung, HTC, and Motorola than us.

They don't care and shouldn't care about SD cards.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't care at all about SD cards, per se. I care about having as much and more local storage as I want or need. To me, right now, that is 64GB+. Battery? I care about a battery that will last 1+ days with moderate to heavy use. I can typically get to a charger w/in a day (sarcasm). I care about a battery that's gonna be good for the life of the phone. ...~2 years of charge/discharges.

Having a phone with removable storage and batteries makes these desires easier.

However, I like the iPhone a lot. ...however, I had the 64GB version when I had one. I also had Apple Care and am confident they'd have supported me if my battery wore out. It seemed to last throughout the day just fine.

My Samsung phones offer piece of mind in these departments. I have enough local storage and battery options that I can take them for granted.

Sent from my humble S4

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
But I don't. I've never used an iPhone. I've been an Android guy since the original G1, and I really could care less about SD cards. I really can't be bothered as I've already embraced cloud storage which I find it easier than using an SD card.

Yes, but that causes data strain and you eat up mobile data while you're not on wifi. If you had it, you would appreciate it, trust me

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
And while on the topic of phones, does anybody have lag in the Facebook app? Like scrolling lag sometimes? It's been bothering me like crazy

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but that causes data strain and you eat up mobile data while you're not on wifi. If you had it, you would appreciate it, trust me

I'm sitting here on my DROID Bionic. 16GB micro SD card installed.

Total space 14.89GB. Available 14.85GB.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I've had it, then not had it. I don't miss it at all.

And while on the topic of phones, does anybody have lag in the Facebook app? Like scrolling lag sometimes? It's been bothering me like crazy

Maybe try the correct section for an answer to that question.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

splatf22

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
The Moto X has a Qualcomm MSM8960Pro Snapdragon. That came out in February 2012.

So yes. The Moto X has 2012 technology. But who cares is my point.
Hmm the moto x does not use the Qualcomm MSM8960Pro Snapdragon SoC. It uses the 8 core Qualcomm S4 Pro MSM8960DT SoC code named X8 by Motorola that started Manufacturing Q3 of 2013.

The 8 core Qualcomm S4 Pro MSM8960DT SoC is a combonation of 8 processors:
__2x 1.7Ghx Krait 300 CPU 3.39DMIPS/MHz (2013)
__4x 400Mhz Adreno 320 GPU (only use of 4 cores on the MSM8960DT, all othe SoC only use 1) (2012)
__1x natural language processor
__1x contextual processor

The miss quoted chip by ajarnfalang Qualcomm S4 Plus MSM8960Pro Snapdragon SoC
is a 3 core SOC with 3 processors:
__2x 1.5Ghz Krait 200 CPU 3.1DMIPS/MHz (2012)
__1x 400Mhz Adreno 320 GPU (2012)

Dregur

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I don't trust you, because you'd be wrong. I stream spotify daily, and I still don't tend to even get close to my limit. Or hey, if I have to go somewhere without a data connection, I have the option to download music onto my phone if I want, but I don't need to carry every single possible video or MP3 that I own, because it would absolutely be pointless. And wifi is pretty much everywhere. I've been to different countries where my mobile data didn't work, and I still didn't have a problem to have all the music I needed on the 16 GB of my Nexus 4 for several weeks. Or when I went camping, which I planned ahead and downloaded a playlist for the drive to and from the peninsula, which I still didn't run into storage problems.

I still don't think about storage much. Would I like 32GB on my phone? Yeah, but after that, I really don't think about it too much.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't and won't use any public wifi anywhere. I know there are firewalls and what not that can be had but public wifi is like someone with an STD just waiting to share it with you, not to mention that by my measure, it's slow. Being in the security business has left me cynical and paronoid.

Sent from my humble S4

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Or when I went camping, which I planned ahead and downloaded a playlist for the drive to and from the peninsula, which I still didn't run into storage problems.
Not everyone is content with "a playlist" worth of music. The times when I want my music the most are times when I don't have access to any sort of internet link or in areas of questionable reception. Unless it's downloaded to my phone I won't have it when I want it the most. For that I need >32GB of free space (which means 64GB minimum internal).

Dregur

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Not everyone is content with "a playlist" worth of music. The times when I want my music the most are times when I don't have access to any sort of internet link or in areas of questionable reception. Unless it's downloaded to my phone I won't have it when I want it the most. For that I need >32GB of free space (which means 64GB minimum internal).

I have albums and playlists. Why do you have to have ALL your music? That's hundreds of hours worth of music.

Dregur

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't and won't use any public wifi anywhere. I know there are firewalls and what not that can be had but public wifi is like someone with an STD just waiting to share it with you, not to mention that by my measure, it's slow. Being in the security business has left me cynical and paronoid.

Sent from my humble S4

I'm not even talking public wifi. Hotels, or whoever I'm visiting. People will have wifi. And when I don't think I'll have wifi, I plan accordingly. I when I say plan, I mean "I should download some music."

Maybe I'm from the bygone era of CD's.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
For me and my audiophile tendencies not only do I want any music I might want to listen to local but I want it high quality. I happen to have a plethora of playlist and I not only want them local but like the ability to generate new ones from my library on the fly. Not to mention movies I may want to watch and videos I shoot. I'm thankful I can carry what I need with me and take storage pretty much for granted, thanks to 32GB local and a 64GB Sandisk Extreme.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I have albums and playlists. Why do you have to have ALL your music? That's hundreds of hours worth of music.
Because getting to choose from hundreds of hours of music is way better than getting to choose from tens of hours. What's the point in having hundreds of hours of music if you can't access it? I remember a time when I had to pick a fraction of my music to on any given road trip or vacation and I don't see any reason to go back to that when I don't have to.

Dregur

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Because getting to choose from hundreds of hours of music is way better than getting to choose from tens of hours. What's the point in having hundreds of hours of music if you can't access it? I remember a time when I had to pick a fraction of my music to on any given road trip or vacation and I don't see any reason to go back to that when I don't have to.

I just call it planning ahead with some variety. I don't need to have ALL my music at anyone one time. Like I said, it's a different way of looking at things.

Which, btw, this has been an eternal debate when Flash SSD's started coming out for the things like the iPod touch and smaller players and the iPod Classic. At first, I was on the side of the hard drive iPod's, but then I realized I didn't really listen to more than half my music at anyone time, so I easily transferred over to things like the iPod Touc hand and the Zune HD.

I think you can see the evolution of storage for music players over the years, and how most people in the US see storage, it's not just the "sheeple". The main stream do not really keep everything on their phone all at one time.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I just call it planning ahead with some variety. I don't need to have ALL my music at anyone one time. Like I said, it's a different way of looking at things.
We're probably arguing the same point from different angles. We're both arguing that there are very good reasons to both need lots of storage and not need lots of storage. Neither is objectively better, it depends on how you'll use the phone. I think that in a few years it won't matter because we'll get lots of storage compared to the size of a song as the standard amount of internal memory.

Dregur

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
We're probably arguing the same point from different angles. We're both arguing that there are very good reasons to both need lots of storage and not need lots of storage. Neither is objectively better, it depends on how you'll use the phone. I think that in a few years it won't matter because we'll get lots of storage compared to the size of a song as the standard amount of internal memory.

Oh, I'm absolutely sure that's whats happening. :p

I was never trying to comment if anything was objectively better, I think my original argument was against the idea that only "iSheeple" or any sort of un-educated consumer didn't need more storage. I was trying to prove the point that I just adapted and my reasons for adapting that way.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I'm absolutely sure that's whats happening. :p

I was never trying to comment if anything was objectively better, I think my original argument was against the idea that only "iSheeple" or any sort of un-educated consumer didn't need more storage. I was trying to prove the point that I just adapted and my reasons for adapting that way.

If you only use 16 gigs of storage space, you don't use your phone like it's supposed to be used. I'm just saying, extra memory and a removable battery are things the smart consumer would look into.

Posted via Android Central App

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
If you only use 16 gigs of storage space, you don't use your phone like it's supposed to be used. I'm just saying, extra memory and a removable battery are things the smart consumer would look into.

Posted via Android Central App

That's incredibly insulting.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae