Rant about SPECS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Never said you guys were stupid, it's just you don't think the proper way sometimes. You're all very capable of using phones and loving android, it's just the options you choose for the phone aren't so great

Sent from my SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

'Don't think the proper way sometimes'? Are you for real?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes the cloud is awesome....

Till you realize that there is an 8 hour outage and you start twitching from not having access to your collection....

Or your SD card gets corrupted and...

Nothing is riskless and at some point the effort to reduce risk provides diminishing returns.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Or your SD card gets corrupted and...

Nothing is riskless and at some point the effort to reduce risk provides diminishing returns.

Okay, I'll bite. Hypothetically ('cause I will not be doing this) If I were to limit myself to only my favorite playlists and upload those 20 or so to the Borg, error, I mean Google wouldn't I be using my data plan to stream them all the time? Yes, I see I could download them to my phone but then what would have been the benefit of giving them to the Borg in the first place?

Maybe this is good for youngsters with less music than I or something. I'd have to pay Google to keep my music and then pay my carrier more to access it. Doesn't sound like a win for me.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I'll bite. Hypothetically ('cause I will not be doing this) If I were to limit myself to only my favorite playlists and upload those 20 or so to the Borg, error, I mean Google wouldn't I be using my data plan to stream them all the time? Yes, I see I could download them to my phone but then what would have been the benefit of giving them to the Borg in the first place?

Maybe this is good for youngsters with less music than I or something. I'd have to pay Google to keep my music and then pay my carrier more to access it. Doesn't sound like a win for me.

Different strokes argument. For your situation and comfort level with various options it sounds like you're already making the right choices for what you need to get done. If I were on limited data I'd probably be less happy with my options and be using a more proactive hybrid approach.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, I don't want to be a stick in the mud. I might give it a shot with a few playlists and see how my data useage changes and how intuitive the whole process is...or isn't. What's life without a few risks?

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

The cloud is easier for a lot of people because it provides a secure server where they know their data will be protected. That's why I personally like it so much, I've only purchased no more than an album or two since I've been streaming forever now. If you have a lot of music though, it's not that beneficial like for you at the moment.

Posted via Android Central App

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The cloud is easier for a lot of people because it provides a secure server where they know their data will be protected. That's why I personally like it so much, I've only purchased no more than an album or two since I've been streaming forever now. If you have a lot of music though, it's not that beneficial like for you at the moment.

Nothing is secure.

The NSA has already proven that.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Ooh, now who's being harsh? What's the matter Farish? Did my experiment make you mad?

Look, guy...one of these two conditions is true:

A) You needlessly insulted other people based on their device storage decisions,
B) You needlessly created an "experiment" to test how smart other people were to satisfy your own ego.

Either way, each represent their own unsavory qualities, and personally, I don't want any part of it. Both are pretty degrading, not to mention rude.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Ooh, now who's being harsh? What's the matter Farish? Did my experiment make you mad?

Calling trolling an "experiment" is like claiming you have something in your eye when someone catches you crying. Everyone knows you're just lying to protect your ego.

My guess is that the whole "cloud vs storage" thing will go away in a few years with respect to music, anyway. Most of us will have enough phone storage to hold our collections so we'll have the option to use either method. It will still be an issue for movies, but I'm not sure how popular watching movies on your phone really is. That's a battle that will probably take place in the tablet world.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Look, guy...one of these two conditions is true:

A) You needlessly insulted other people based on their device storage decisions,
B) You needlessly created an "experiment" to test how smart other people were to satisfy your own ego.

Either way, each represent their own unsavory qualities, and personally, I don't want any part of it. Both are pretty degrading, not to mention rude.

Needless is a strong word, I prefer "need to certain people". And didn't you people win the experiment? I wouldn't be complaining, I sure didn't see this much whining over on imore. What's the matter guys, getting more whiney than the iSheeple?

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure you'll find that most people don't appreciate being treated like lab rats. I much preferred disagreeing with you and being explicitly insulted.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm not suggesting that you actually do this. The way you have it set up seems to work for you just fine. I was just explaining why the risk assessment being made might not be accurate. For example, I've had two SDHC cards go south on a phone. (Luckily for me I only put media on those cards and both were backed up in the cloud) I've never had problem accessing data from the cloud, except for those few times where I had no WiFi or wireless option (exceedingly rare). I have most of my music organized by playlist and even within those playlists I keep my favorites on the device anyway. Since I typically have my Nexus 7 tablet as well as my phone with me, keeping enough music to keep me amused is rarely a problem. If becomes a problem I will stream the music (usually a song that gets into my head) if I want to. This works well for me. So well in fact that the SD card that I have in my S3 remains empty.

The nice thing is that it really doesn't matter which device I decide to pick up. Nexus 7, Chromebook, Macbook, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Xoom...it's all good. This works just well for me. So well that it kind of just evolved into how I use my devices. In contrast, when I owned my GNex, I struggled to make everything fit into 32GB of space.

I think if you're a big gamer, meaning big games and lot's of them, this strategy wouldn't work very well. Since I'm not, the SD card simply doesn't mean much to me.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Not mad nor harsh but your need to experiment on people reminds me of the type of person who put Linkin Park on a perpetual loop. That is not the kind of quality music I am looking for.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Not mad nor harsh but your need to experiment on people reminds me of the type of person who put Linkin Park on a perpetual loop. That is not the kind of quality music I am looking for.

Linkin Park? No no no Noooooo I don't enjoy listening to emos. My music taste is more on the classy side, sophisticated. Very hard to find these days especially in the teens group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC