Rant about SPECS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I used the phrase "cutting edge"...and was serious. Perhaps I should have written "fastest". I'm not being critical and I know many like the X.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That's Samsung's claim to fame though. It's certainly worked for them until now.

Please tell me you're joking.

I don't think its worked for Samsung. Some of them have, like their camera software. The rest has been just plain awful.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I used the phrase "cutting edge"...and was serious. Perhaps I should have written "fastest". I'm not being critical and I know many like the X.

Right, but that's the misconception that we're addressing. The most advanced and fastest real world performing device out there is running a dualcore X8 mobile computing system, while the 1.9GHz clocked quadcore S600 is the "fastest" on paper. In the review I linked it explains why the X is outperforming the quad-cores pretty nicely in everything except a theoretical sense. But that kinda makes sense, Q3/Q4 releases generally are better than Q1/Q2 releases, just like the S5 will probably be better than the G2, etc. The only difference now is that we have more than one fork of philosophy to try to find ways to compare to each other.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So the X is the highest-end best performing android phone available? Interesting. I was thinking of "renting" a black 64GB One for a week or so to compare it to my S4...but maybe I should get the X instead. I love my S4 I just wanted to taste the alternatives and see if its time for me to consider selling the S4 for something better.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So the X is the highest-end best performing android phone available? Interesting. I was thinking of "renting" a black 64GB One for a week or so to compare it to my S4...but maybe I should get the X instead. I love my S4 I just wanted to taste the alternatives and see if its time for me to consider selling the S4 for something better.

I did a comparison on another thread, but I don't see the X as a worthy upgrade to the One or S4. It's very close in performance and it's just a different mindset. From scratch on an upgrade from an older device, between the S4, One and X I could argue one over the other for various people, but if it's going to cost money to switch from a top 5 device to a top 5 device, even if it's from 5 to 1, I don't see that value in that trade unless one device has something specific you really want or you're really unhappy with what you have. If you love your S4 and are just curious, you're not going to be overwhelmed by how much better anything else is that's out today.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure if the technology is the "fastest". More powerful perhaps, but fastest tends to refer to the end result. Specs are merely an imperfect proxy for performance. Higher-end specs may suggest better performance, but they don't mean better performance.

I've heard a lot of the commentary, read many of the reviews... my take? I don't think anyone could say that the S4 or the HTC One is "faster". Maybe, faster in some categories, but certainly not across the board. The Moto X seems "faster" in other categories.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if the Moto X is the fastest but I believe it is the smartest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Amazon.com: Microsoft Surface (64GB with Black Touch Cover): Computers & Accessories

and you can add a sd card and a usb flash drive.

Imagine that, you can have that and keep your principles too.

Who in their RIGHT mind would actually want a MS Windows RT tablet. It is beyond comprehension. First you don't actually get 64GB of storage, they have a huge chunk sucked up by the recovery partition. Second Cisco Systems only offers apps for iOS AND Android, no Windows Mobile support and that is critical to my job. Plus again the iPad Mini WAS FREE. I am not interested in buying another tablet when I have a free one provided to me.

I also do have a Windows 8 17.3" HP Laptop with dual 750GB HDD, Blu-Ray DVDRW drive, 16GB RAM and 2GB NVidia graphics card that cost half of a MBP that is no where near as comparably configured. So once again. I have the tools that work.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Out of everything you said, you could have gotten the Galaxy Note 10.1 on Verizon with LTE, 32 GB of storage and an SD card slot. Sure, it wouldn't be free with 64 GB like the iPad Mini, but it sure has and does a he** of a lot that the Mini cannot do. So the tradeoffs are beyond worth it, especially because you could get a 64 GB SD card to put in it. The options are there, people just don't want to see them. You're obviously interested in the Note 8 because you're annoyed that the specs don't match your needs. So you could get it's bigger brother (which would be better for serious business/work needs anyway) and have those needs met. I've never understood people who act like the tablet is essential for business, and then I see them carrying a iPad Mini or Nexus 7. If you REALLY must have it for business, the larger size of the regular iPad or Note 10.1 or Nexus 10 would be much more effective. I could see having the smaller form factor for some travelling purposes, but every serious businessman i've seen with a tablet has had a full size one.

EDIT: I was wrong. It looks like Verizon only offers a 16 GB version. But with a 64 GB SD card and the 12 or so GB avail on the tablet, you'd still have 76 GB to utilize. Which should still be enough for most things. Especially with multiple SD Cards if necessary.

Sadly Android (and wireless carriers) OEM's just WON'T make an Android tablet worth buying. 12GB of usable storage is NOT acceptable. 32GB has to be the minimum and 64GB should be the ideal storage. Even apple has a 128GB iPad 4 with LTE tell me that isn't embarrassing for Android. What good are apps if you have to keep deleting and installing again later.

lingcod777

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Who in their RIGHT mind would actually want a MS Windows RT tablet. It is beyond comprehension. First you don't actually get 64GB of storage, they have a huge chunk sucked up by the recovery partition. Second Cisco Systems only offers apps for iOS AND Android, no Windows Mobile support and that is critical to my job. Plus again the iPad Mini WAS FREE. I am not interested in buying another tablet when I have a free one provided to me.

I also do have a Windows 8 17.3" HP Laptop with dual 750GB HDD, Blu-Ray DVDRW drive, 16GB RAM and 2GB NVidia graphics card that cost half of a MBP that is no where near as comparably configured. So once again. I have the tools that work.

Long battery life + Outlook + office + form factor. It's a niche market but excellent if that's all you need for work.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Ok lets start off with this statement you made.

So if you can find me a tablet that will work for my job needs with the storage needs I will sell my iPad mini and get that.

You never mention cisco, I gave you a scenario where you could get more storage that your iPad Mini you even ignore that part. Also as you stated, you are willing to sell it, that was your statement, not mine. You also are ignoring the SD slot and usb port as additional options.

Second, maybe RT will not work for you but there are Windows 8 tablets with SD slots and usb ports that run a full version of Windows 8, including the professional. You can still get your storage needs and still use cisco anyconnect. So the option is there and as I said previously you can add an additional 192gb of storage.

Maybe part of the problem is your lack of flexibility more than anything else.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Long battery life? I'm dying here xD

Posted via my awesome rooted Nexus 4 and Android Central App)

Have you actually used a Surface RT for extended periods of time? It does have really good battery life. It's obviously not a powerhouse, but battery life was NEVER a problem with it.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok lets start off with this statement you made.

You never mention cisco, I gave you a scenario where you could get more storage that your iPad Mini you even ignore that part. Also as you stated, you are willing to sell it, that was your statement, not mine. You also are ignoring the SD slot and usb port as additional options.

Second, maybe RT will not work for you but there are Windows 8 tablets with SD slots and usb ports that run a full version of Windows 8, including the professional. You can still get your storage needs and still use cisco anyconnect. So the option is there and as I said previously you can add an additional 192gb of storage.

Maybe part of the problem is your lack of flexibility more than anything else.

Or, did you think he maybe didn't want a windows tablet? Based on what he has said, a windows tablet wouldn't fit his needs. Who are you to tell him otherwise?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Or, did you think he maybe didn't want a windows tablet? Based on what he has said, a windows tablet wouldn't fit his needs. Who are you to tell him otherwise?

RT wouldn't but based on his statement there are only 3 Cisco Apps available for the iPad, Anyconnect, WebEx, and Jabber, and all those work on Windows 8 professional. When it comes to RT, he is correct, but had I know he was talking about Cisco I wouldn't have suggest RT in the first place.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Have you actually used a Surface RT for extended periods of time? It does have really good battery life. It's obviously not a powerhouse, but battery life was NEVER a problem with it.

Yes actually. My friend had one. I personally found battery to be bad with it. I mean I find the Nexus 7 battery bad as well. The iPads get best battery life for me.

Posted via my awesome rooted Nexus 4 and Android Central App)

Status
Not open for further replies.