Rant about SPECS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes actually. My friend had one. I personally found battery to be bad with it. I mean I find the Nexus 7 battery bad as well. The iPads get best battery life for me.

Posted via my awesome rooted Nexus 4 and Android Central App)

That the iPad gets great battery life hasn't been disputed. That doesn't make the rest crap. Nexus 7 beats it for web browsing, and the Surface RT is even competitive. Not a bad showing for Microsoft's first generation tablet.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6385/microsoft-surface-review/9

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7231/the-nexus-7-2013-review/2

Apple is doing something good with video playback. Kudos to them. Too bad I do far more web browsing than video watching. :) For me, Nexus 7 has better battery life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That the iPad gets great battery life hasn't been disputed. That doesn't make the rest crap. Nexus 7 beats it for web browsing, and the Surface RT is even competitive. Not a bad showing for Microsoft's first generation tablet.

AnandTech | Microsoft Surface Review

AnandTech | The Nexus 7 (2013) Review

Apple is doing something good with video playback. Kudos to them. Too bad I do far more web browsing than video watching. :) For me, Nexus 7 has better battery life.

You're making it sound like different devices are better for different use cases and there is no clear leader in the absolute bestest at everything. Maybe that earlier commentor was closer to the mark than we feared. You've stolen my argument!

We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. Preparedness is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean I find the Nexus 7 battery bad as well

You've seen my screenshots though. There's no denying the N7 has a beastly battery life for how I use it. I kinda wonder how long an iPad would last with what I do... who knows, maybe it'd be even better?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

AnandTech | Microsoft Surface Review

AnandTech | The Nexus 7 (2013) Review

Point taken. But I am just so spoilt by the battery life on my iPad 4.Intersting read Kevin, I had thought the iPad had the nexus 7 beat in battery period. Guess you learn something new everyday:)

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Wow. Now were arguing about the competitors Microsoft vs Apple in a thread meant to argue about Android specs =P.

I've seen it all.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You're making it sound like different devices are better for different use cases and there is no clear leader in the absolute bestest at everything. Maybe that earlier commentor was closer to the mark than we feared. You've stolen my argument!

We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. Preparedness is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.

- - - Updated - - -

You've seen my screenshots though. There's no denying the N7 has a beastly battery life for how I use it. I kinda wonder how long an iPad would last with what I do... who knows, maybe it'd be even better?

I may have been implying that, yes. ;)

Wow. Now were arguing about the competitors Microsoft vs Apple in a thread meant to argue about Android specs =P.

I've seen it all.

Well, Apple generally leads the pack with GPU performance, and they manage great battery life (in general) at the same time. It's a valid point of discussion I think. We'll come back around I'm sure. We always do.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line: Specs are interesting to start a conversation, especially when performance appears correlated directly to the hardware components. When we have device that are "lower spec'd" out performing the other flagships, it's time to admit either the correlation is false or the components of the former are more advanced and demean the value of a pure quantitative comparison. The end result we want is the performance (I *think* we all agree with that), and regardless of numbers, the Moto X is one of the best performing devices on the market; definitely worthy of the Android brand.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
People are right to say that specs on the X, at this point in time, aren't that important and that it runs well. But people are also right to say it's priced like a premium phone with mid-level specs. I don't care because I don't keep devices that long but if you can only afford a phone at the subsidized contract price and you keep it for two years then you are right to be concerned about how well it will perform a year or more from now.

Why do people still argue about specs? Do you NOT get the bigger picture ?!

Look at the iPhone. Its been "lagging behind in specs' since forever right? Yet look how it operates to the end-user. Its flawless. It doesn't stutter, it just works perfectly. Now when someone who isn't tech savy goes to look for a phone, they see an iPhone that doesnt hiccup at all and then a GS4 whose ALL-MIGHT SPECS still lag like its 2005. Samsung doesn't optimize its OS at all clearly. Doing simple **** like opening contacts LAG. Who wants that?! What person that goes to a store would want this after 2 minutes of playing with it they see that it just does not operate right? No body.

Sure the GS4 is capable of more, but to the general person does it matter? Absolutely not! This is why iPhone is where it is. This is what Google is trying to accomplish here. Optimized specs for Google's software. Yes, its not the S800 quad-core 2.6GHZ with 5 gb of ram. So freakin' what?! The phone works! That Samcrap lag is gone! And on top of it, you get the benefits of an Android which is a more capable OS then iOS.

People really need to stop ********.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
People are right to say that specs on the X, at this point in time, aren't that important and that it runs well. But people are also right to say it's priced like a premium phone with mid-level specs. I don't care because I don't keep devices that long but if you can only afford a phone at the subsidized contract price and you keep it for two years then you are right to be concerned about how well it will perform a year or more from now.
But isn't nearly every normal use test that's out there so far showing that it performs at least as well, if not better, than other current phones? If you believe benchmarks, I've only seen like a couple where it falls behind and it's been on pure computing power, which only might be important for some users. There are several benchmarks where it performs better than the other flagships.

brianbrain

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't see where anyone is coming from regarding "last year's specs". Let's break down what people are accusing of being "old":

720p display: There were no 720p RGB stripe OLED panels on any phone in 2012. They were all pentile. Likewise, the 1080p panel on the sgs4 is pentile. Compare the Moto X to the SGS4 screen and tell me the SGS4's is way better (hint: it isn't). The HTC One is the only phone on the market with a display that is noticeably better.

S4 Pro CPU: this thing shouldn't be named an S4 because its not - the S4 Pro SOCs of 2012 utilized Krait 200 cores - these are Krait 300, the very same cores in the SGS4 and HTC One. Only difference? Two instead of four. This actually works out to an advantage in many scenarios, due to the limited thermal and power envelope on our devices - see anandtech's article. I'll take two cores that can scale up to 100% as opposed to four cores that let one stay dormant nearly 100% of the time and cap the other three at ~60% max frequency. Oh, and the GPU is identical, however it also scales better thanks to the dual instead of quad CPU cores (remember, the whole SOC shares a TDP).

And..oh right that's all everyone's complaining about. Huh. I guess the fact that the phone gets great battery life and is the smoothest android phone experience to date is just icing on the cake.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC