Rant about SPECS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't see where anyone is coming from regarding "last year's specs". Let's break down what people are accusing of being "old":

720p display: There were no 720p RGB stripe OLED panels on any phone in 2012. They were all pentile. Likewise, the 1080p panel on the sgs4 is pentile. Compare the Moto X to the SGS4 screen and tell me the SGS4's is way better (hint: it isn't). The HTC One is the only phone on the market with a display that is noticeably better.

S4 Pro CPU: this thing shouldn't be named an S4 because its not - the S4 Pro SOCs of 2012 utilized Krait 200 cores - these are Krait 300, the very same cores in the SGS4 and HTC One. Only difference? Two instead of four. This actually works out to an advantage in many scenarios, due to the limited thermal and power envelope on our devices - see anandtech's article. I'll take two cores that can scale up to 100% as opposed to four cores that let one stay dormant nearly 100% of the time and cap the other three at ~60% max frequency. Oh, and the GPU is identical, however it also scales better thanks to the dual instead of quad CPU cores (remember, the whole SOC shares a TDP).

And..oh right that's all everyone's complaining about. Huh. I guess the fact that the phone gets great battery life and is the smoothest android phone experience to date is just icing on the cake.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk 4

There you go.

It's 720, not 1080.

It's dual-core, not quad-core.

lol.

:)

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Hmm the moto x does not use the Qualcomm MSM8960Pro Snapdragon SoC. It uses the 8 core Qualcomm S4 Pro MSM8960DT SoC code named X8 by Motorola that started Manufacturing Q3 of 2013.

The 8 core Qualcomm S4 Pro MSM8960DT SoC is a combonation of 8 processors:
__2x 1.7Ghx Krait 300 CPU 3.39DMIPS/MHz (2013)
__4x 400Mhz Adreno 320 GPU (only use of 4 cores on the MSM8960DT, all othe SoC only use 1) (2012)
__1x natural language processor
__1x contextual processor

The miss quoted chip by ajarnfalang Qualcomm S4 Plus MSM8960Pro Snapdragon SoC
is a 3 core SOC with 3 processors:
__2x 1.5Ghz Krait 200 CPU 3.1DMIPS/MHz (2012)
__1x 400Mhz Adreno 320 GPU (2012)

Regardless of the specific chipset model number the fact remains, BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION in the quote above,

THERE IS IN FACT 2012 TECHNOLOGY IN THE MOTO X.

Thanks for proving me right yet again.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Do you really believe that the Moto X is the only ground breaking one? There are three that work exactly like the Moto X. Droid Mini, Ultra and Maxx and to tell you the truth the Maxx does it much better with a battery that lasts almost two full days. I picked up the Maxx instead of the Moto X and wouldn't trade it in a second.

Yea. All recently announced. All by Motorola. All using that X8 system.

They're all basically the Moto X.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Right. So you're saying the Adreno 320 isn't from 2012?

Hahaha. There you have it folks. These are your geniuses.

There was an Adreno 320 released in devices 2012, but the one in it's current configuration was released in 2013. This was covered in this thread as well, but those same sources you wanted everyone to research also detail it.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
There was an Adreno 320 released in devices 2012, but the one in it's current configuration was released in 2013. This was covered in this thread as well, but those same sources you wanted everyone to research also detail it.

So, they've built an entirely different and new Adreno 320 for 2013?

Ok. Provide your sources.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
You can start reading here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/308805-rant-about-specs.html It's covered a few times in this thread.

No no.

I said SOURCES. Give me your sources. I don't want to read a thread.

Have any sources that tell me there are 2 versions of the Adreno 320?

If you can provide me with the manufacturer proof that there are 2 versions of the Adreno 320 then ill come in and say

"Would you look at that. I was wrong. There are no 2012 parts in the Moto x. Good for them".

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
No no.

I said SOURCES. Give me your sources. I don't want to read a thread.

Have any sources that tell me there are 2 versions of the Adreno 320?

If you can provide me with the manufacturer proof that there are 2 versions of the Adreno 320 then ill come in and say

"Would you look at that. I was wrong. There are no 2012 parts in the Moto x. Good for them".

I'm not your professor, office assistant or intern. I pointed you in the right direction, the homework is for you to do. I'm not the one insulting people and trolling the thread. We've asked many times in many ways for you to stop spreading misinformation about devices, and that's not working.

You've had days and days of opportunity to read posts and blogs from experts, yet decided not to. What good is anything anyone else says to you going to make? Remember, this started with the processor and screen, then when that was proven wrong it moved to the SOC then when that was proven wrong it went to individual components of the SOC ignoring the fact that it's not a modular setup.

If you think the GPU configuration in the S4 and One is identical to the Nexus 4, believe what you want. Obviously facts will not sway you. This is like a religion to you, a real people riding dinosaurs type of moment. Thanks.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm not your professor, office assistant or intern. I pointed you in the right direction, the homework is for you to do. I'm not the one insulting people and trolling the thread. We've asked many times in many ways for you to stop spreading misinformation about devices, and that's not working.

You've had days and days of opportunity to read posts and blogs from experts, yet decided not to. What good is anything anyone else says to you going to make? Remember, this started with the processor and screen, then when that was proven wrong it moved to the SOC then when that was proven wrong it went to individual components of the SOC ignoring the fact that it's not a modular setup.

If you think the GPU configuration in the S4 and One is identical to the Nexus 4, believe what you want. Obviously facts will not sway you. This is like a religion to you, a real people riding dinosaurs type of moment. Thanks.

Translation = I have no proof that there's a new GPU in the Moto X.

Thanks. That's what I thought.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Translation = I have no proof that there's a new GPU in the Moto X.

Thanks. That's what I thought.
"The max GPU frequency on the Moto X is 400MHz, compared to 450MHz for the APQ8064 Snapdragon 600 based Galaxy S 4. The difference in GPU frequency is small, and Android games typically have a large CPU bound component so it isn?t totally unfeasible for the Moto X to be among the fastest Adreno 320 phones on the market.

Looking at 3DMark we see just that. The Moto X is the fastest Android phone we?ve tested here. The advantage has nothing to do with GPU frequency however, if we look at CPU frequency over time it?s clear what?s going on."-http://www.anandtech.com/show/7235/moto-x-review/8

First Generation Adreno 320 (Snapdragon S4 Pro) - 64 ALU, 400MHz, 57GFLOPS
Second Generation Adreno 320 (Snapdragon 600) - 96 ALU, 400MHz, 86.4GFLOPS
Third Generation Adreno 320 (MSM8960DT) - Quad Core, MHz ?, GFLOPS

3 generations of 320's and the Moto X is the latest one. You are wrong, too bad. you came here to diss the Moto X and got smashed.

More:"Motorola has installed X8 Mobile Computing System on the Moto X. The X8 does feature eight cores, only thing is that just two of those are CPU cores, courtesy of the Snapdragon S4 Pro (1.7 GHz Krait cores). The other six consist of the 4 GPU cores of the Adreno 320, a dedicated computing processor"-http://blog.techzost.com/3659/motorolas-moto-design-features/2013/08

Translation: I'm just a troll and I need to bash Motorola because it has a dual core phone in 2013.

BLASPHEMY

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
There you go.

It's 720, not 1080.

It's dual-core, not quad-core.

lol.

:)

Thanks for proving me right again

1) this isn't prove. This is an anecdote from someone.

2) he says right there "the GPU is IDENTICAL"

So if you build a car and everything is new but you put last year's transmission you can't say there are no 2012 parts in the car. Even if the tranny is mated to a new engine.

Again. Nobody has provided ANY proof that there is a brand new Adreno 320 for this year.

Still waiting.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
"The max GPU frequency on the Moto X is 400MHz, compared to 450MHz for the APQ8064 Snapdragon 600 based Galaxy S 4. The difference in GPU frequency is small, and Android games typically have a large CPU bound component so it isn?t totally unfeasible for the Moto X to be among the fastest Adreno 320 phones on the market.

Looking at 3DMark we see just that. The Moto X is the fastest Android phone we?ve tested here. The advantage has nothing to do with GPU frequency however, if we look at CPU frequency over time it?s clear what?s going on."-http://www.anandtech.com/show/7235/moto-x-review/8

First Generation Adreno 320 (Snapdragon S4 Pro) - 64 ALU, 400MHz, 57GFLOPS
Second Generation Adreno 320 (Snapdragon 600) - 96 ALU, 400MHz, 86.4GFLOPS
Third Generation Adreno 320 (MSM8960DT) - Quad Core, MHz ?, GFLOPS

3 generations of 320's and the Moto X is the latest one. You are wrong, too bad. you came here to diss the Moto X and got smashed.

None of that says the Adreno 320 is a new chip or "another generation". All that says is that they're using the same GPU in a faster chipset.

Try again

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for proving me right again

1) this isn't prove. This is an anecdote from someone.

2) he says right there "the GPU is IDENTICAL"

So if you build a car and everything is new but you put last year's transmission you can't say there are no 2012 parts in the car. Even if the tranny is mated to a new engine.

Again. Nobody has provided ANY proof that there is a brand new Adreno 320 for this year.

Still waiting.
Already answers you. You are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7