09-05-2013 04:08 AM
235 1234 ...
tools
    I wonder what a flash of purely stock Android 4.3 would do for the Moto X's picture quality, since so many people seem to think it's a software issue.
    On a similar note, I'm wondering what picture quality would be like with camera apps like Vignette or Camera360.
    08-25-2013 09:12 PM
    I would have to agree that the camera is probably the least impressive aspect of the Moto X. In my limited use with it at the AT&T store, however, I was surprised by how not unimpressed I was. I was expecting a disaster from some pictures I've seen posted, but it was actually pretty decent.

Either way, I'm with you guys in hoping updates get pushed through the pipeline. Not just with the camera either. I would actually love a feature similar to the G2's *knock-knock* gesture where you touch the screen to pull up Active Notifications in between "breaths."
    08-25-2013 09:15 PM
    I have a Nexus 4 and an unlocked HTC One. They're both going on eBay once I get my customized Moto X. Even though I've owned numerous HTC phones over the years and Sense is the best it's ever been (and BoomSound is awesome), I am really looking forward to getting back to stock Android with the Moto enhancements. Based on all the reviews and my brief time playing with the X in the AT&T store, it is IMO a great evolution of the Nexus 4 and will be a phone I will be happy to use for the next 1-2 years.
    08-25-2013 09:30 PM
    I too had a Nexus 4, as well as a Galaxy Active and iPhone 5. I am really enjoying the Moto X in contrast to those phones. The Nexus didn't have LTE, so that was a given upgrade, the Active was big clunky and has too many extras which cant be deleted and rarely used, and the iPhone 5, well I have all things apple, and decided I wanted a different experience from a phone, hence my move to Android. Moto X is a stock android phone, I dont care what anyone says...it is not filled with all kinds of fluff, and the things it does have arent even enabled until you agree to do so...upon boot up of the moto x for the first time, its as plain as plain gets. If I was never given a spec sheet, I would think this phone performs as well if not better than the leading competition. Benchmarks etc. on a phone are a little ridiculous, who cares what scores it gets, I just care whether or not there is lag, what apps are available to make my day to day life productive and do it well. Moto X accomplishes that, and its why I moved to it. As I get to know the Moto more, I am sure I will like it better and better....
    DC Wuff and DeadpoolJunior like this.
    08-25-2013 09:37 PM
    I would have to agree that the camera is probably the least impressive aspect of the Moto X. In my limited use with it at the AT&T store, however, I was surprised by how not unimpressed I was. I was expecting a disaster from some pictures I've seen posted, but it was actually pretty decent.

Either way, I'm with you guys in hoping updates get pushed through the pipeline. Not just with the camera either. I would actually love a feature similar to the G2's *knock-knock* gesture where you touch the screen to pull up Active Notifications in between "breaths."
    I thought I heard, it was the day of the announcement, that you can hold down around the middle of the screen and active notif would pop up.
    08-25-2013 10:16 PM
    When I tested it in the store there was a split second after the notification disappeared that the screen was still active and it would pop right back up if you hit the right spot. After that, though, you had to wait for it to come back on its own (or force it by flipping it over from a face down position). I don't know, it was weird. If you're in between notifications and you push the lock button on the side, then the screen turns on and you've gotta unlock your phone and pull down your notifications shade to see what's up.

I think I would really prefer Motorola just did away with the standard lock screen entirely. Not sure what purpose it serves anymore. Just push the lock button to bring up the Active Notifications again, and unlock your phone as you see fit. Of course, you'd still have your security lock behind that, but it's no different than it is now. It just seems to me that the lock screen on the Moto X provides a compromise that's been made wholly obsolete by the features on the phone.

I suppose it's still there for people who don't want Active Notifications. But those people are doodoo heads and don't deserve nice things.
    08-25-2013 10:38 PM
    The only reason he wants the x over the nexus 4 is because it's the "newest" thing out

Sent from my HTC One / Blackberry Q10
    08-25-2013 10:42 PM
    The only reason he wants the x over the nexus 4 is because it's the "newest" thing out

Well there you have it, folks. Lock this thread up. This guy's got it all figured out.
    08-25-2013 10:43 PM
    When I tested it in the store there was a split second after the notification disappeared that the screen was still active and it would pop right back up if you hit the right spot. After that, though, you had to wait for it to come back on its own (or force it by flipping it over from a face down position). I don't know, it was weird. If you're in between notifications and you push the lock button on the side, then the screen turns on and you've gotta unlock your phone and pull down your notifications shade to see what's up.
    blech. no likey. i wonder if there could be a fix. by moto for sure, and i know that cannot be done by us, but hopefully this is something they do, i think many people would like that.

I think I would really prefer Motorola just did away with the standard lock screen entirely. Not sure what purpose it serves anymore. Just push the lock button to bring up the Active Notifications again, and unlock your phone as you see fit. Of course, you'd still have your security lock behind that, but it's no different than it is now. It just seems to me that the lock screen on the Moto X provides a compromise that's been made wholly obsolete by the features on the phone.
    they used to do "patches* for the palm, does the x have to be rooted to do those or can there be little mini apps like the one i posted for removing the vibration on slide lock? which are sorta like patches i guess except they just add instead of patch...and do you mean, open the slide lock and your notifications are all sitting there? cuz i would really like that, there are some apps i noticed that do something like that, or at least i think that's what they're supposed to do, can i just use those?
    08-25-2013 10:59 PM
    I've have tried just about everything out there: iPhone 4S > Galaxy S3 > iPhone 5 > Z10 > HTC One and back to iPhone 5. I liked android but kept going back to iOS because it ran smoother, battery life was better, less bloatware and I wanted a phone that was easily usable in one hand. I liked the HTC One it ran for the most part smooth, but the battery couldn't get me through a whole day, and I wasn't the biggest fan of Sense especially not being able to disable blinkfeed without installing a different launcher. So I went back to the iPhone. The Moto X peaked my interest with its minimal form factor and near stock android. So I decided to go play with it at the store yesterday. Walked out 30 mins later with it in hand and after 24hrs can say I will not be going back to iPhone. This is hands down the smoothest running phone I have ever had, I am yet to notice one hiccup/lag occurrence. I would say it even runs better then my new Nexus 7 (2013). The OS is near stock, (even AT&T didn't load it with as much as the do on the One) and the active notifications feature is awesome. It's obviously a little early to comment to much on battery life but so far so good, enough to last me the whole day. Build quality and feel of the phone is great. You can easily manipulate it with one hand. Screen is great, who cares if its not 1080p, I don't see a difference and I personally thought it looked better the S4 sitting next to it at the store anyways. Camera is decent, not like iPhone 5 but I'm not a big picture guy anyways. So in my opinion this is no midrange phone, specs aren't every thing just look at iPhone it's specs are nowhere near the One or S4 but isn't considered midrange. I feel it's the first android phone that can really compete with the iPhone on all grounds (performance, build quality, & user experience), at least its the first one to make me call it quits on iPhone for good. Sorry for the long post but figured I'd give my positive opinion seeing all the negativity regarding this phone especially its specs. (As for why I didn't consider the Nexus 4, LTE and I have never had a good experience with LG products so that phone is out of the question for me.) So OP I would not consider this a downgrade from the One, you won't be disappointed the Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-25-2013 11:01 PM
    Originally Posted by DS1331

Well there you have it, folks. Lock this thread up. This guy's got it all figured out.
    It's almost shocking to me how much butthurt there is simply because some people want the Moto X. It's like some people refuse to believe that it is actually possible.
    DC Wuff likes this.
    08-25-2013 11:02 PM
    It's almost shocking to me how much butthurt there is simply because some people want the Moto X. It's like some people refuse to believe that it is actually possible.
    This^
    Why are people so against this phone? Even at the AT&T store it was like everyone there was trying to talk me out of getting the X. The manager there even asked me why I wanted it coming from the One and looked at me like I was an ***** while doing so. Needless to say he didn't get a sale.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    08-25-2013 11:13 PM
    This^
    Why are people so against this phone? Even at the AT&T store it was like everyone there was trying to talk me out of getting the X. The manager there even asked me why I wanted it coming from the One and looked at me like I was an ***** while doing so. Needless to say he didn't get a sale.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Wow... That's aweful. Although, I am not surprised about AT&T employees not knowing much because the other day one of the employees thought i was joking that the phone can be customizable
    08-25-2013 11:27 PM
    I think this thread is a perfect example of each user being different. One of the posts was basically stating that to them, the Moto X was a downgrade in most every way from the HTC ONE. If someone is not interested in the selling features of the X then they would view this to be a downgrade. Some however are very interested in the features of the X and find them to outweigh the features of the ONE. I admit I have been skeptical of the X and after playing with one I am still not crazy about it personally. However, I can definitely see why people would be interested in it and I hope it sells well because I have always liked Motorola and I think it is a great device to help users come to Android from iPhone. It's only natural for us to "defend" our device of choice and list the reasons why mine is best and yours sucks, but I hope we can start to respect that each user is different and what works for me may not work for you and vise versa. It's something I've been working on.

Sorry to turn that into a Kumbaya moment.
    Alik Malix likes this.
    08-25-2013 11:30 PM
    I feel pretty confident in assuming S4 and One owners that belittle the Moto X probably do the same about any phone, which basically classifies them as ignorant idiots to me.

Being loyal without reason is really just being stupid.

Alik Malix and hackbart like this.
    08-25-2013 11:38 PM
    What I would like to know is does the screen have the imperceptible flickering like the Note 2 and S4? I've had both and they make me dizzy. I'm using the One now and have been thinking about getting rid of it for the X but not if the screen has the flickering. I know that our eyes can't see it, but they pick it up and it affects me. If you don't know what I'm talking about Google note 2 screen flickering.

08-25-2013 11:53 PM
    They hate on the X Because they don't have an upgrade for 1.5yrs

08-26-2013 12:45 AM
    I personally want the Moto X. I planned on buying when Verizon releases but I am the opposite of most people with my priorities:

Smooth Performance >= Camera > Phone

I definitely do not want a laggy phone and I am happy I have been able to customize my S4 to be generally problem free. But the camera is a huge factor for me. I take pictures of my daughters all day long and the Moto X problems with the camera are not something I can accept.

I already struggle with the clarity of the S4 shots in my house - definitely can't get this one yet.

Plan on getting the next gen Moto X which will hopefully fix the camera and Verizon should have moto maker by then.
    So glad to see X fans
    08-26-2013 01:26 AM
    Agreed... iPhone does pave a standard by which all other devices are measured (for better or worse)... It's like a constant in Einstein's light-speed theory... I do like the MotoX as it is build around the same principles as iPhone, that's why you will see a lot of backlash from Android users because spec sheet and checklist of gimmicks is priority over built quality, usability, and pure experience. It's a white crow among the Android phones. The only other feature that I can think from all android phones (even throw in all windows phones too) is the Active's Waterproof build. But I read that it's not working well for many. I think MotoX is a new era for Android - finally a step in the right direction...
    wshwe, jev425 and nokia4life like this.
    08-26-2013 05:23 AM
    Agreed... iPhone does pave a standard by which all other devices are measured (for better or worse)... It's like a constant in Einstein's light-speed theory... I do like the MotoX as it is build around the same principles as iPhone, that's why you will see a lot of backlash from Android users because spec sheet and checklist of gimmicks is priority over built quality, usability, and pure experience. It's a white crow among the Android phones. The only other feature that I can think from all android phones (even throw in all windows phones too) is the Active's Waterproof build. But I read that it's not working well for many. I think MotoX is a new era for Android - finally a step in the right direction...
    Interesting opinion

Sent from my humble S4
    markbc likes this.
    08-26-2013 06:00 AM
    I am pre-ordered for Droid Maxx (Moto X's big brother). I am coming from a Droid X2 and have had two less than impressive experiences as to Motorola android phone reliability. I first posted a question in the S4 forum asking about how often folks need to reboot their phones, and got chewed out for saying the IP5 was on my list of options. I think the promises of Maxx is the Android phone that got me to stay. Big battery, no lag, active notifications, and being splash-proof. I like the Moto X's shape and size, but wish Moto X had a bigger battery option. Just thinking, It may have good runtime now.. but in 18 months.. and 500 charges.. how will it hold up? It bothers me, that a very stable phone (IP5) needs a good case to protect from accidental water damage, and maybe a battery case to charge the battery in order to get good runtime and iOS7 has zero macho appeal to it. Active notifications and getting text messages in my browser on my PC.. Priceless!! Thanks Motorola.
    08-26-2013 07:14 AM
    i got the Moto X on Friday just to try out. I'm coming from a S4 GE, so I'm already on stock Android, but I was intrigued by the value added features Motorola is adding to stock. The more I use this phone, the more I like it.

The active notifications and trusted bluetooth are one of the best features aded to Android. I had thought the touch less interface (ie. "Ok Google Glass") was going to be gimmicky, but it's been invaluable when driving. In addition, the Moto X has the best bluetooth stack I've seen on a Android phone that is not at v4.3. Mainly, it gives track information on every app I've used (Songza, Rdio, Pocketcasts).

As it has been mentioned in this thread, performance has been great with no more lags than my S4 GE (which was very few) It certainly seems like Motorola has relay optimized the hardware/software to get the best performance. It shows that well developed software does not need bleeding edge hardware to achieve great real world performance.

Battery life has been solid, but not quite what was advertised (but I need more testing to confirm that) The camera is as good as expected based upon reviews (not spectacular, but very solid and it could get better with software upgrades)

The size is one of the Moto X's best features. It feels great in hand and can be used one handed, but it still has a 4.7" screen. Speaking of the screen, it's not as spectacular as a 1080p screen, but I can't say that I really notice the difference that much.

The biggest detractor is the price being the same as the HTC One and S4 on contract (the off contract price is cheaper than the ATT and GE S4 and is cheaper than the GE HTC One) but I see the Moto X as being at the same level as the HTC One and S4 in regards to real world usage. Seeing as how I find the combination of stock Android with the great value added features of the Moto X far superior to Sense and Touchwiz (and even stock Android) the Moto X was an easy purchase for me to make and one that I am not disappointed in. I'm also curious to see how quickly Motorola (and AT&T) update the Moto X to 4.3. If it takes forever that will give me more unease than the specs.

I would not simply dismiss the Moto X just because of the specs. I find the day to day usage to be the best of any Android phone I've used to date. That being said, it's just my opinion and you should certainly try the features to see if the Moto X is worth it to you
    JoseGui, markbc, MazoMark and 1 others like this.
    08-26-2013 07:29 AM
    I really am glad to hear everyone is loving this phone. It went from super hyped to "what a joke." Now that everyone is getting hands on experience it is proving to be the smoothest phone on the market. When I messed around with one in store, I was shocked to see it run smoother than my N4.
    08-26-2013 07:35 AM
    So if that's your thinking why not actually get pure Android with the Nexus 4 and spend less?

Sent from my HTC One
    LTE, build quality, Active Notifications, Touchless Control, Moto Assist.

I had the Nexus 4 and HTC One. Selling the One. The X is the total package.
    scratched out the two features I have on my Nexus 4

I don't really have any problem with feeling the X (so far) is a good phone, I'm just not willing to jump ship to a non-nexus until they start pulling OS updates away from carriers and manufacturers on devices that aren't. I don't ever want to have to go through missing out on significant OS changes such as the leap from Gingerbread to ICS or the introduction of Google Now ever again. If Google throws out something fairly groundbreaking in KLP I'd be too annoyed having to wait for it. I'm also not willing to shell out $600 or more up front and unsubsidized for a GE phone either.I'm also not going to say no to LTE on the next Nexus that comes out but since the N4 and my carrier both deliver DC HSPA I haven't been hurting for data speeds. So that basically leaves Touchless Control which is pretty cool, but not something I must have since all of the voice commands are still the same in Google Now.

I like it though. I like it much better than the One, S4, Z, and G2. That X8 custom chip idea was a brilliant piece of engineering. The feature set is also better than waterproofing or eye scrolling or blinkfeed or volume buttons on the backplate. Moto is beginning to move the X features off of the phone and into Play Store for immediate access to updates, also very slick. The phone is also fast, smooth, and fluid, which can't be said for some 2013 flagships running the s600
    08-26-2013 07:44 AM
    You had me at:

i got the Moto X
    ... because for someone like me who might want the phone, it's SO much better to hear from people who actually have it, rather than griping about horsepower and torque numbers (so to speak) from those who don't. Thanks for your detailed thoughts, and please keep them coming as time goes on!
    08-26-2013 08:02 AM
235 1234 ...