09-05-2013 03:08 AM
235 12345 ...
tools
    The Nexus 4 is made to run buttery smooth with actual stock Android. Why not get that for less? I never said the Moto X was a bad phone, I'm just curious about what he would switch for.
    My Nexus 4 is anything but buttery smooth...unfortunately. It is adequate, but after gps and wifi to cell issues, I hard reset it a couple months ago. Still freezes/restarts once in a while and chrome on it just plain sucks. I'm more than ready for something new. It's hard to get any resell value for the 4 though because it was so cheap to begin with.
    08-26-2013 08:14 AM
    I don't know why everyone is hating, either. Well, I would assume it's because as Android users we have had specs and PPI beaten into our heads for so friggin' long that that's the only thing many of us can see. And on paper, the X looks like a "downgrade" from the beasts of the One and S4. The only downgrade I see is in the camera, which is a HUGE deal for me. These phones are my digital cameras. I take pictures of my baby girls all the time and I have to have something that takes great pictures. Unlike a lot of people, we do actually print pictures from our phones and put them in frames. So it's not just the resolution on the screen that matters. The other issue I have with this is being on Verizon I can't get the flippin' 32gb version. I hate this carrier exclusive stuff. That does nothing for us as users and purchasers of this phone. Other than the camera, though, nothing about this phone is a downgrade from the One or S4. As much as I hate Apple, they get it right with the user experience. If Moto can make an Android phone virtually lag free with a "lower" quality processor, then by all means, let them keep doing it. I think this is the right move for Android and I hope this phone succeeds in more ways than one. Now just improve on that camera for me.
    08-26-2013 11:24 AM
    It's almost shocking to me how much butthurt there is simply because some people want the Moto X. It's like some people refuse to believe that it is actually possible.
    That's how the Sammy sheep are! They are paid by Samsung to run down the competition on these forums!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4
    Premium1 and nokia4life like this.
    08-26-2013 11:28 AM
    I won't switch because of contract etc, but I would state this.

As a business person who is constantly driving and fielding phone calls especially while driving, if I could use the phone 100 percent without issues without having to touch it, I don't see how the Moto X is a downgrade.

Just to give you an example with 3 phones The S4, HTC One, and the iPhone 5.

I can easily answer phone calls by pressing the call button on my console or steering wheel. Zero issues with this.

On all 3 of these phones if I try to make a phone call or activate Siri, S-Voice, or VR by using the call button on my console or steering wheel, there are always issues with the phone not recognizing or hearing my voice. The only way I can have outgoing calls work properly is I have to touch my phone.

If I can say to the phone Ok Samsung, dial my wife, dial this phone number, dial this client without having to touch the phone, that alone is a winner that nobody else has.
    Some people don't care about this because maybe they live in a state where they don't have a law prohibiting this or they have been lucky and not pulled over for this.

That is an upgrade and makes that phone more valuable than a quad core processor or a better camera/gpu.

Phones are at the point that even though hardware keeps improving, the actual benefits gain through hardware is minimal unless maybe with gaming.
    08-26-2013 11:30 AM
    I agree with Alik Malix. Moto is taking a different route than its Android competitors, Google included. It's refreshing.
    08-26-2013 12:10 PM
    I got my Moto X on Friday. The form factor and overall size shape and feel of the phone is awesome to say the least. Is a phone, it doesn't have all the bs from the other manufactures it just works and works very well. I'm still amazed by how smooth and fast it runs. In my house we have a HTC one, Samsung s4, and I just spoke my HTC one x. the moto x is smoother than any of these devices hands down not to mention that one you carry it around for a short time those other phone are just too big and bulky. In my opinion you can not tell that it's a dual core not a quad core. And the active display is the sh**. I have not used nor seen my lock screen since I used it. I love the phone and would recommend it to anyone.

Posted via Android Central App
    Premium1 and qnet like this.
    08-26-2013 12:16 PM
    My Nexus 4 is anything but buttery smooth...unfortunately. It is adequate, but after gps and wifi to cell issues, I hard reset it a couple months ago. Still freezes/restarts once in a while and chrome on it just plain sucks. I'm more than ready for something new. It's hard to get any resell value for the 4 though because it was so cheap to begin with.
    Sorry to hear that, never had those issues here
    08-26-2013 12:31 PM
    Played with a Moto X at my local at&t store yesterday and i must admit I was very very impressed with it. I'll start by saying I have an HTC One...and I love my phone. However I was expecting some sort of noticable difference in general UI navigation between the X and my One...but there wasn't any. The Moto X runs like a beast and its a very comfortable size and form factor.

I would not hesitate for a second to carry this phone if I was looking for something running stock android. For me personally...i ran stock for a long time on my previous phone (Galaxy S2) and the one before that (HTC Inspire)..and while I definently enjoyed them...I have grown tired of rooting and flashing. It turns into damn near daily flashes of sort and at the very least weekly. I am loving my One and the performace is so good out of the box i'm going to stay stock at least for the immediate future...and just enjoy the phone.

But make no mistake....specs and fanboys aside...the Moto X is a solid piece hardware. Well done Moto...im keeping my eye on you.
    Premium1 and Travalar like this.
    08-26-2013 12:45 PM
    LTE, build quality, Active Notifications, Touchless Control, Moto Assist.

I had the Nexus 4 and HTC One. Selling the One. The X is the total package.
    Not hating on the Moto X at all, but assuming you're not on Verizon all of those (if only not in name) are available on a rooted Nexus 4. Just sayiing. Also, I would never trade a LED for "active notifications" and I sure hope Google agrees with the Nexus 5. With an app like Lightflow. I can tell from across the room or without ever taking my phone out my pocket exactly what type of notification it is by LED color and/or blink rate, the sound and/or vibration pattern, and/or control how long it will continue to notify me. The Nexus DOES outspec the Moto X and it's almost a year old AND cheaper. As a tinkerer nothing touches the dev support of the Nexus either. That's just a fact. The user experience on the Moto X is said to as good or better than anything out. Kudos to Moto. I think it will do great for the masses (mostly because I think it will be marketed well). It's just not all impressive to most Android geeks. Wouldn't have been even if it wasn't so hyped, but it's not a big deal.
    jimbo1mcm and markbc like this.
    08-26-2013 03:35 PM
    Not hating on the Moto X at all, but assuming you're not on Verizon all of those (if only not in name) are available on a rooted Nexus 4. Just sayiing. Also, I would never trade a LED for "active notifications" and I sure hope Google agrees with the Nexus 5. With an app like Lightflow. I can tell from across the room or without ever taking my phone out my pocket exactly what type of notification it is by LED color and/or blink rate, the sound and/or vibration pattern, and/or control how long it will continue to notify me. The Nexus DOES outspec the Moto X and it's almost a year old AND cheaper. As a tinkerer nothing touches the dev support of the Nexus either. That's just a fact. The user experience on the Moto X is said to as good or better than anything out. Kudos to Moto. I think it will do great for the masses (mostly because I think it will be marketed well). It's just not all impressive to most Android geeks. Wouldn't have been even if it wasn't so hyped, but it's not a big deal.
    I disagree with almost all of your assessment. Theonlycarrier that supports the Nexus 4's LTE is T-mobile so it doesn't work on AT&T and then it only works with a single band of the network so it is not nearly comprehensive enough to be a selling point to the majority of customers.

You are correct that LED notifications do tell you information from across the room, which is why I put forth the idea that developers look into makinga faux notification LED hopefully using the contextual core as it handles the Active Display. That said, the Active Display does provide a large benefit over even the enhanced LED apps you talk about to where I struggle to say that it is categorically a worse idea. In addition I don't feel that you can validly say it has the Active Display functionality because the Nexus has an LCD display meaning the Dynamic Notifications app MUST wake up the entire display to show notifications draining the battery. As well in order to be contextually aware like the Moto X it must run the CPU further draining the battery. The Moto X can perform this function while retaining excellent battery life from a small capacity.

The same is said with Open Mic+ attempting to duplicate the Touchless Controls. No other phone can boast having these capabilities because no other phone has the hardware requisite for allowing the features to run without killing the battery life.

Moto Assists main benefit I see is to activate while the owner is driving which I think would also have a detrimental impact on battery life. It is also better in my understanding than its competitors because it lets calls go through if there are multiple calls within a 5 minute interval.

The killer in the Moto X is that its processor power truly does blow the Nexus 4 away. The Nexus 4 does have a quad core processor BUT its cores are only Krait 200s while the Moto X uses the more powerful and efficient Krait 300s. In addition, the Moto X has the contextual processor which means that it can handle all the sensory input that current phones monitor in addition to keeping track of all its new features without having to load down the CPU reducing overall speed or efficiency. You just have to look at the GSMArenas benchmarking scores to see the surprising information that the Moto X is getting double the scores as the Nexus 4 in virtually all tests.
    I know that we have said that the benchmarks are not at all valid in showing actual power, but I think that with all the reviews and hands on testimony that the Nexus's components in no way blow the Moto X away like you make it out to be. The Krait 300 and other capabilities make the Moto X an extremely good contender.
    tpags, Premium1, hpham72 and 1 others like this.
    08-26-2013 04:10 PM
    I think the X is a nice enough phone that edges out the nexus 4 in all but price and pure Google experience. And ROMs of course if that's your thing. But I already own a nexus 4 so I'm not inclined to get this. If I were coming from an S3 or OneX it might be a different story. I'm basically holding out for a much more drastic upgrade since I'm happy where I am atm

Posted via Android Central App
    08-26-2013 06:23 PM
    I'm loving the Motorola connect capabilities. Sending texts from the chrome browser on my computer is awesome and helpful

Sent from my Moto X
    Rizz1-2 likes this.
    08-26-2013 07:56 PM
    I'm loving the Motorola connect capabilities. Sending texts from the chrome browser on my computer is awesome and helpful

Sent from my Moto X
    very much looking forward to this. I usually use firefox but i guess i'll have to either switch to chrome have it on in the backrground.
    guinnkevinr likes this.
    08-26-2013 08:03 PM

Sent from my Moto X
    I didn't think this was going to be much more than a gimmick, but it's definitely a pretty cool feature!

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    guinnkevinr likes this.
    08-26-2013 09:11 PM
    I didn't think this was going to be much more than a gimmick, but it's definitely a pretty cool feature!

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    It works really well. Helpful when at work and home. Seeing the call log is helpful too.

Sent from my Moto X
    08-26-2013 09:14 PM
    very much looking forward to this. I usually use firefox but i guess i'll have to either switch to chrome have it on in the backrground.
    I'm a Firefox user, too, but have been using Chrome a little bit now with the Chromecast dongle. Having the Motorola Connect capability simply adds more incentive to increase my Chrome utilization.
    guinnkevinr likes this.
    08-26-2013 09:15 PM
    Going from garbage Sense to nearly pure Android is hardly a downgrade.
    What's the last version of Sense you've used for a week? Because 5 is pretty good.
    08-26-2013 11:40 PM
    I disagree with almost all of your assessment. Theonlycarrier that supports the Nexus 4's LTE is T-mobile so it doesn't work on AT&T and then it only works with a single band of the network so it is not nearly comprehensive enough to be a selling point to the majority of customers.

You are correct that LED notifications do tell you information from across the room, which is why I put forth the idea that developers look into makinga faux notification LED hopefully using the contextual core as it handles the Active Display. That said, the Active Display does provide a large benefit over even the enhanced LED apps you talk about to where I struggle to say that it is categorically a worse idea. In addition I don't feel that you can validly say it has the Active Display functionality because the Nexus has an LCD display meaning the Dynamic Notifications app MUST wake up the entire display to show notifications draining the battery. As well in order to be contextually aware like the Moto X it must run the CPU further draining the battery. The Moto X can perform this function while retaining excellent battery life from a small capacity.

The same is said with Open Mic+ attempting to duplicate the Touchless Controls. No other phone can boast having these capabilities because no other phone has the hardware requisite for allowing the features to run without killing the battery life.

Moto Assists main benefit I see is to activate while the owner is driving which I think would also have a detrimental impact on battery life. It is also better in my understanding than its competitors because it lets calls go through if there are multiple calls within a 5 minute interval.

The killer in the Moto X is that its processor power truly does blow the Nexus 4 away. The Nexus 4 does have a quad core processor BUT its cores are only Krait 200s while the Moto X uses the more powerful and efficient Krait 300s. In addition, the Moto X has the contextual processor which means that it can handle all the sensory input that current phones monitor in addition to keeping track of all its new features without having to load down the CPU reducing overall speed or efficiency. You just have to look at the GSMArenas benchmarking scores to see the surprising information that the Moto X is getting double the scores as the Nexus 4 in virtually all tests.
    I know that we have said that the benchmarks are not at all valid in showing actual power, but I think that with all the reviews and hands on testimony that the Nexus's components in no way blow the Moto X away like you make it out to be. The Krait 300 and other capabilities make the Moto X an extremely good contender.
    The power of the X does not lie in its "dual core" processor but in the framework of the X8. It has processors for everything the phone does for specific tasks making it faster in nearly all tests. After an hour or so at the store I found it to be as fast or faster than my One in all tests.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
    08-27-2013 07:49 AM
    The power of the X does not lie in its "dual core" processor but in the framework of the X8. It has processors for everything the phone does for specific tasks making it faster in nearly all tests. After an hour or so at the store I found it to be as fast or faster than my One in all tests.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
    So are you buying the X to go with your One? I like to switch phones, which I was I just moved my main number to AT&T from Verizon. I have the HTC One Developer Edition, which I love, but I really like the Moto X after playing with it in the store. Might buy one outright, 32GB and customize it.
    08-27-2013 08:57 AM
    At least with the Moto X, Android finally has a phone that is very close, if not equal, to the iPhone in smoothness and lack of lag. It's been a long time coming. It may be my next phone.
    08-27-2013 09:08 AM
    I absolutely love the phone! Sort of wish I picked black instead of white though. Maybe I will return. I had to buy off-contract, so that means I can't use Motomaker yet right?
    08-27-2013 09:40 AM
    At least with the Moto X, Android finally has a phone that is very close, if not equal, to the iPhone in smoothness and lack of lag. It's been a long time coming. It may be my next phone.
    My nine month old Nexus 4 begs to differ. Maybe your experience was different, but my phone feels as smooth as my wife's iPhone 5 and always has.

That said, the focus on specs is ridiculous. People like to focus on the numbers because they're a seemingly objective stat to throw around, unlike the subjective things like feel and impressions of speed. If the phone feels good in your hand and the OS is zippy, who cares what's under the hood unless you're a dev and plan on actually doing something specific with it?
    festinator likes this.
    08-27-2013 11:20 AM

Sent from my Moto X
    I did not know this capability existed. I want one
    08-27-2013 11:52 AM
    I did not know this capability existed. I want one
    From what I understand, and I only know a little, the it can be done with apps. But I like that this one is integrated. : )
    08-27-2013 12:17 PM
    Anyone know if i can use one of the LED apps on the Moto? i keep my phone off my person for the most part when i'm home and would love to be able to glance at the moto instead of look for the breath and icons.
    08-27-2013 12:56 PM
235 12345 ...